IS LIFE FATED?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Is it? You see, me and my ‘free-thinking’ friend (that’s a polite Malaysian way of saying ‘atheist’) were having a very heated argument the other day over whether our lives ARE fated. You see, his entire religious position relies on the fact that, if there was some omnipotent being that controlled every facet of the universe, then what happens to free will? We might as well go on plodding on in life as we liked because everything is fated, if we are fated to be millionaires, then what use is work? I argued that considering we don’t have any idea of what is fated for us, free will is just as applicable, and that we have to strive as much for success as we would have to if fate didn’t exist. Our argument eventually ended with neither view prevailing and no hard feelings (we are friends after all), but it does raise some interesting questions. What do you think? IS life fated?

[ 27-05-2002: Message edited by: Son Of Bester ]

Anonymous

Well, if life isn’t fated, then the universe must have been contructed of irony, ie, Lucinda and I were walking down to the shop and remarked that it would be weird if we spotted Josh and Ice (who had left some time before us) at the shop. Well, we entered the shop and there they were! We laughed when we got out of the shop.
    Anyway, I don’t believe in God, I think that fate doesn’t exist but irony more than makes up for it. That’s just me.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Son Of Bester:
    Is it? You see, me and my ‘free-thinking’ friend (that’s a polite Malaysian way of saying ‘atheist’) were having a very heated argument the other day over whether our lives ARE fated. You see, his entire religious position relies on the fact that, if there was some omnipotent being that controlled every facet of the universe, then what happens to free will? We might as well go on plodding on in life as we liked because everything is fated, if we are fated to be millionaires, then what use is work? I argued that considering we don’t have any idea of what is fated for us, free will is just as applicable, and that we have to strive as much for success as we would have to if fate didn’t exist. Our argument eventually ended with neither view prevailing and no hard feelings (we are friends after all), but it does raise some interesting questions. What do you think? IS life fated?

[ 27-05-2002: Message edited by: Son Of Bester ]

Like Chameleon, I don’t believe in a god or a highr being, so I don’t really believe in fate, we always give a name to our experiences in life, and the word fate is just another way to explain to certain circumstances.
    I do believe that our decisions make a mark in what happens in the future, the rest is just coincidence.
    If I ended up being homeless, then somewhere along the line I could have done something to avoid that, but in some cases my circumstances and the person I am could have contributed to that result, in which case you could or would blame it on fate rather than yourself.
    Life to me is one big set of rules, follow them and you will survive, if you don’t then you can expect the worst, but some don’t believe in following the rules, I envy them, they are brave and free willed people, but these are the risk takers, and sometimes you end up being stinking rich or being destitute and poor, but most of us choose not to take those risks, so if it does all goes wrong we cannot see when or where it happened, whereas the risk takers can have peace of mind knowing that they were to blame.
    Squishy

mandara k
    Participant

I think of the song from Jesus Christ Superstar called “What’s the Buzz” when I think of fate. Why do you want to know? Live your life in the moment and let tomorrow take care of itself. If you are happy, your loved ones are happy and you are not hurting others or yourself then don’t worry about it.
    I’m not Christian but did not Jesus say “do unto others as you want you to do unto you.” Isn’t that more important than what the future may bring? With “Third World Countries” like India and Pakistan who both have nuke capabilities and a lot of groups developing bio weapons; I’d worry more about making sure those I love know I love them and that they are as safe as possible.

this is what happens when things get unbalanced in our world; what a world what a world. We worry more about how we look, and how we appear to others than who we are. As if that really matters. Like someone said, you can call God what ever you want; you can can call him Mickey Mouse if you want to but it doesn’t change the essence of what God is. It is the same with each of us, a liar doesn’t become an honest man just because someone says he is. Everything comes to light eventually and the true colors of every person reveal themselves in time.
    I am who I am; that’s all that matters to me; the good or bad that anyone can say to me or about me does not change who I am one iota. So, I don’t take the road well traveled and blame everybody and everything for MY life. It’s mine; I take full responsibility for it. To blame others for your misfortune is lazy and counterproductive and honestly stupid.

bonnee
    Participant

The famous philosopher Doris Day put it best when she said

Que Sera Sera

When i was just a little girl,
    I asked my mother, ‘What will i be?
    Will i be pretty?
    Will i be rich?’
    Here’s what she said to me:

‘ Que Sera Sera,
    what ever will be , will be;
    The futures not ours to see .
    Que Sera Sera,
    What will be, will be’

when i grew up and fell in love,
    i asked my sweetheart, ‘what lies ahead?
    will we have rainbows
    day after day?
    here’s what my sweetheart said:

que sera, sera,
    whatever wil be ,will be
    the future’s not ours to see.
    que sera, sera,
    what will be; will be

now i have children of my own
    they ask their mother what will i be
    will i be handsome?
    will i be rich?
    i tell them tenderly

que sera, sera,
    whatever will be, will be;
    the future’s not ours to see.
    que sera, sera,
    what will be, will be.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.