It’s not just us that think TV Sci Fi is crap!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst It’s not just us that think TV Sci Fi is crap!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The recent Emmy award proved that the current state of TV Sci FI is STILL in the doldrums.

Not one single nomination for any of the major categories for and of the sci fi shows. Even Buffy!

In fact, it seems that the the nominees in all the major categories have basically been unchanged for years.

πŸ™

Anonymous
    Inactive

They certainly aren’t very original or creative thinkers. And. personally, I don’t really care much about mainstream acceptance for what I like — I like it cult. Mainstream = death to cult.

We’re special cases we are *pats on backsides all around.* Mind you, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take this seriously. The Emmy’s are industry awards (their time to shine the spotlight on themselves and gives themselves a pat on their grotesque backs).

And ‘though their choices are not particularly artistically motivated, and their decisions and the event itself is best approached with deep cynicism and scorn (buckets of rotting vegetables are appropriate to bring to such an event, but most off all if you’re going to enjoy it, bring a sense of humour, ’cause it’s a joke), it is a concern.

It is a concern because until they fully and publicly accept sci-fi as worthy of merit and endorse it as a true art-form (the Industry is perfectly happy to make money off of it though while they publicly ignore it), entertainment’s spotty and malnourished cousin can never fully blossom, and most sci-fi will remain very juvenile dreck. But then so is most TV it seems.

Ah well…

lizard
    Participant

Well Logan, I have to agree with you about mainstream = death for scifi. As one of the few science fic fans willing to admit to watching Enterprise, I have to say it’s a case study of what your are talking about. This show desperately needs to “re-cultify” itself. I think that it is going to go the way of Earth Final Conflict, which became complete garbage after the first year or so. It seems that they are going to militarize the show —- with some big alien threat so that the wee little enterprize can save the earth — YAWN!

I think I am going to stop watching tv for a while!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I must admit that I do sometimes watch Enterprise, but I tend to think that it’s about time they killed off the Star Trek franchise. I loved the original series, and enjoyed TNG, but can’t shake the feeling that it’s all been going slowly and steadily downhill since Captain Pike left the Enterprise. πŸ˜›

If they could: lose the techno-babble, lose the risible and unnecessary dialogue (I feel that most episodes could be significantly edited down), focus more on the action (actions do speak louder than words), gear it to an older market (better yet, just treat your market as intelligent), try to actively engage the spectator’s imagination, stop trying to explain everything (I’d far rather have the chance to draw my own conclusions), lose the touchy-feely relationship stuff, increase the humour, bring in more of a sense of the unknown and fantastic (I like to be surprised in sci-fi and TV generally), and bring in some top-notch writers, then the show could be pretty good. Blow up the Enterprise and it’ll be even better! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ (joking). It’s not that bad really, but I was led to believe that it would be more like the original series, and so I was disappointed.

Oh, one other thing… Trekkies = Death to good cult sci-fi. Long live good cult sci-fi! I joke about the Trekkies since it’s such a cliche. The way they have been so badly, and unfairly portrayed has had a negative impact on sci-fi fans generally. The hardcore fan is a true fanatic and they will always hone in on these people to the detriment of the moderates.

Trekkies of the world revolt!
    -Logan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.