Jeremiah & the morons at Showtime

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Jeremiah & the morons at Showtime

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

A terribly badly written press release and a diabolically badly planned competition to encourage webmasters to place badly designed banners on their site to promote the new series is not making my day at all!

Unfortunately, the new show is being run by John Michael Straczynski and based on a cool comic book, so I actually put up a few small banners to encourage awareness.

Unfortunately the only banners that they (TV company Showtime) have are for a really dum-assed competition! Even worse, they didn’t tell me that we can only find out about it if we are in the United States!!

I really hope that the show is not another damp-squib for JMS, he deserves better that to ally himself a bunch of amatures!

quote:

Based on a European comic book, whose characters have achieved cult status in the U.S and Europe, the 20-episode series is slated to debut in early 2002. JEREMIAH is being produced by Jeremiah Productions Inc. in association with Lion’s Gate Television and Platnium Studios and will be distributed by MGM Worldwide Television Distribution. This new series marks a continuing partnership between MGM and SHOWTIME on such highly successful sci-fi series as “Stargate SG-1” and “The Outer Limits,” as well as the much anticipated “Leap Years” which debuts on July 29th on SHOWTIME.

Straczynski will serve as showrunner and executive producer, alongside Sam Egan who has produced and written for The Outer Limits and Northern Exposure. Russell Mulcahy (SHOWTIME’s Queer As Folk) will direct the two-hour premiere. The executive producers also include, Luke Perry, Joe Dante (Small Soldiers, Innerspace, The Howling, The Burbs, Twilight Zone: The Movie), Michael Finnell (Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Small Soldiers, Twilight Zone: The Movie, The Howling), Scott Mitchell Rosenberg who developed the hit film Men In Black, Ervin Rustemagic and Gregory Noveck , who are both co-producing several upcoming live-action features for Platinum Studios with Rosenberg. The creative executives for Showtime are John Vasey and Randy Runkle. For MGM the creative executive is Craig Roessler.

JEREMIAH is set in a future post-apocalyptic world where, almost a decade before, a deadly virus wiped out the world’s adult population sparing only those who haven’t reached puberty. Now in their 20s, the oldest survivors of the pandemic include Jeremiah and the colorful but cynical Kurdy. Jeremiah is on a personal quest to relocate a mysterious place called Valhalla, which his father claimed might hold some hope for the survivors. As Jeremiah falls into a reluctant partnership with Kurdy, both explore new areas and encounter other groups of young adults who are divided into rival social groups. In the course of the season opener, Jeremiah’s smaller personal quest is redirected when he discovers a group of highly organized survivors who want to enlist him to orchestrate peace among the warring factions and to try and prevent the killer virus from returning.

MGM Television Entertainment handles television development and production for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. (NYSE: MGM). Its series lineup includes the forthcoming Leap Years, slated to debut in July, Stargate SG-1, The Outer Limits, and Poltergeist:The Legacy, as well as original made-for-television movies such as the upcoming Oooph!, starring Paul Reiser, Joe Mantegna, and Christine Lahti and In The Time Of The Butterflies, with Salma Hayek and Edward James Olmos.

Platinum Studios, home to a growing library of over 1000 international and domestic comic book characters, is an entertainment and production company focusing on comic book-to-film adaptations. The company was recently formed by Scott Mitchell Rosenberg following a successful high-profile career in the comic book industry as head and founder of Malibu Comics, which was bought by Marvel Comics. During his Malibu Comics tenure, Rosenberg discovered and published the property MEN IN BLACK, which he then developed for feature film and television. The feature grossed nearly $600 million worldwide for Columbia, with MIB2 now in production. Platinum has a slate of live action feature film projects, which Rosenberg will produce along with video game tie-ins and soundtracks, at many studios including DreamWorks, Miramax/Dimension and New Line. The company is represented by the William Morris Agency and Ovitz’s Artists Management Group.

Anonymous

From Sci-fi.com (apologies if it is inappropriate to reproduce an article, but this might as well be a press release).

Perry Likes Jeremiah Edgy

Luke Perry, who plays the title role in Showtime’s upcoming SF series Jeremiah, told SCI FI Wire that the show will push the limits of cable television’s standards. The two-hour pilot features, among other things, female nudity, four-letter words, violence, torture and sexual situations. But just wait, Perry said in an interview at a special screening and premiere of the show in Los Angeles on Feb. 21.

“In comparison with the stuff we’re doing, the pilot’s pretty tame,” Perry said. The show is currently filming episode 14 out of 20 in Vancouver, B.C. “Some of the action and the sexual quotient of things, the pilot seems a bit tame by comparison. Having said that, they purposely made this one a little tame, I think. I’m not exactly sure why. We shot a much edgier, riskier show than what I saw tonight. I don’t know if you guys know Russell Mulcahy [Highlander], the director, but he’s nuts. And visually, there were more effects in terms of the ramping of the film, the dynamic in terms of that. They took out a lot of violence. They took out a lot of sex.”

Perry added, “Which, you know, for me, I want it! It’s cable. I want that stuff. But the story still holds up, and the characters, you know, I like that. I was so glad to see that the stuff between [co-star] Malcolm [-Jamal Warner] and me was solid.”

The series, from Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski, tells the story of a dystopian future in which the survivors of a plague scrabble to survive. Jeremiah debuts with a two-hour pilot at 8 p.m. ET/PT on March 3 before moving to its regular Friday timeslot on March 8.

Anonymous

Thanks for the info Smart.

It’s not innapropriate to cut and paste other people’s stuff provided we also add a credit link.

In this case the article appeared an the excellent Scifiwire section of scifi.com: Perry Likes Jeremiah Edgy

dgrequeen
    Participant

They took out a lot of violence. They took out a lot of sex.”

I smell resale, once it runs its course on Showtime. I’m willing to bet we’ll see it on Scifi or Fox or UPN a couple of years down the road (I don’t get Showtime, unfortunately).

Anonymous

Well well well.. how original og Showtime. Sounds like they’re ripping off an australian series of the same genre – The Tribe.. they must be running out of ideas.

Anonymous

Just recieved from the people who do the banners and promotion (not showtime).

quote:

Hi-

I am very sorry that banners did not work out for you. I do appreciate you initially postings the banners. The reason why only US visitors are able to reach the contest page that the banners direct to is because the contest is only open to US residents. I will be sure to advise Showtime of this hindrance and any future clients. Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks,
    Stacie

Anonymous

Ah, a show by JMS with sex, violence, swearing and last but not least, a plot. What more could a guy like me ask for….?

Well, that it be shopwn here in Malaysia for a start! We don’t even get Lexx, for God’s sake! *sob*

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.