JMS says that Rangers will extend B5

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Babylon 5 & Crusade JMS says that Rangers will extend B5

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The following extract was reported on the SciFi.com website:

quote:

The Legend of the Rangers follows the group as a ship’s crew is assembled after the Shadow War and given the task of restoring order to the universe. Straczynski and Douglas Netter executive produced the movie, which Straczynski wrote. Michael Vejar directed. The two-hour movie stars Dylan Neal as Capt. David Martel, Alex Zahara as Dulann, Myriam Sirois as Sarah and B5 star Andreas Katsulas, who reprises his role as G’Kar.

“That dynamic was of interest to me, because it takes you out of the standard action without consequence, action without context and lets you play in a much deeper pond,” Straczynski said. “They’re trained in the philosophy of the Minbari and the Rangers, which is all about responsibility. It’s about asking questions. It’s almost a Zen-like approach to storytelling and characterization. They look at the larger questions. How does this fit into the universe? What is their role in things? What’s their obligation to each other? That goes right into their creed, which is said in the course of the two hours: ‘We walk in the dark places others will not enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.’ That talks about individual responsibility and individual courage.” Legend of the Rangers, which also serves as the pilot for a possible Rangers series, airs Jan. 19, 2002.

Anonymous

I am so ready for this!!!! Saw some awsome(can you still say that?) commercials! Hope that some of the other B5 people show up from time to time. Is’nt Delen or Shariden(?) the “Head” of the Rangers? And if you have G’kar you have to have Molarie(?)… no?Pray to what ever god you belive in to give this show a long life.

Headgehog
    Participant

There’s a lot of “if this then that” stuff floating around. Here what we’ve got so far.

If the movie does well, then they’l make a rangers tv series.

If the tv series does well, then they’ll also bring back Crusade.

Anonymous

this is really good news. we need to tell all of our B5 friends to watch or tape it and to email scifi about it. i would love to see crusade come back. they probably won’t have the same cast (Marjean Holden is now on ‘Beastmaster’ and Daniel Dae Kim is on ‘Angel’), but the concept was good and hopefully some of the original cast could make it back like my favorites Gary Cole, Peter Woodward, and Carrie Dabro. hope those are the right names my head is still fuzzy from this damn cold hehe
    i do look forward to the Rangers and hope it follows the greatness of B5! Crusade was on its way but as we all know it was cancelled after only 13 eps (i fortunately got all of them on tape when scifi ran them all in one day for a marathon, yippee!) does somebody remember why Crusade was cancelled and when?

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: mary beth ]

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    does somebody remember why Crusade was cancelled and when?

Crusade was aired durign the summer of 99. It was cancelled over creative differences. IE TNT thought they knew what was best for the show, JMS righfully disagreed. Eventually TNT just called it quits becaseu he wouldn’t play ball. This all happened before the first show was aired! TNT decided to try to make back some of the money they lost on making the 13 eps, so they aired what they had, and called it a “limited engagement”.

A lot of the sub-plots of Crusade were inspired by the bickering going on offstage. For instance the scene when decocrator is telling them what colors should be on the bridge, and unviels the new uniforms; is JMS’s way of saying stop screwing with my show. There’s a whole bunch of other jokes and stuff that he integreated into the show as a result of their idiocy. I’ll post ’em as I remember ’em.

JMS went to scifi to try to get them to pick up the show, scifi tried to get it into their budget, but they had already spent all their money on original programming for that year, so it was a no go. Ofcourse the following year they started showing reruns of B5. The reruns were a hugs success. Pulling in an average .9-1.1! This was accomplished without any real advertising. Scifi briefly aired ads for B5 2 weeks before they started showing it.
    Crusade was shown last spring, as an experiment. It was to see if fans would accept a spin-off. It pulled in an average 1.1, which is very successful for scifi. Scifi by this point knew that a new series or movie would be succesful. So they ordered a new B5 movie. That’s where we are now.

Anonymous

Originally posted by mary beth. (the server had some problems and the message needed to be re-posted)

thanks headgehog! anything that furthers the B5 universe is great!!!! and i have a question about these shows and their airing dates in the U.S. i remember seeing both B5 and Farscape on regular tv (no cable) it has been years ago (obviously different years, hehe) but i didn’t have cable at the time. so how would i know about these shows when they first came out. if anyone could help me with this i would appreciate it. the channels would have been probably the upn or the wb.

Anonymous

MESSAGE BY [b}HEADGEHOG[/b] It had to be re-posted because of server problems.

B5 was in syndication for it orignal run. In Philly it was shown on a local channel, which then eventually became a WB station.

To my knowledge, Farscape was never on regular television in the states. I believe that only SciFi has it here. You probably heard of it through SciFi’s massive ad campaign when it first started. During the same ad campaign they also plugged LEXX and First Wave, but certainly not to the extent.

Anonymous

Message originally posted by mary beth.

It had to be re-posted because of server problems.

quote:

sorry headgehog but i did see the first few ep of Farscape on regular tv because i did not have cable and when i did get cable for some reason my side b (which is where my scifi channel is located) would not work. which i found out after AT@T bought out my local cable network that it did work it was just that the cable repairmen that came to fix my B side was too lazy to go down stairs and push the cable up and hook it up. AT@T made it work! YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!! this is when i first lexxperienced Lexx and got reaquianted with B5, and found out about first wave. but i knew about farscape from regular tv.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I’ve been a close follower of JMS’s career since his days as a columnist in Writer’s Digest, among other things. I was a dedicated fan of B5, and saw every one of them (although I can’t cite specifics on any of them, that’s not my thing). I hated Crusader, but I expect that’s not JMS’s fault, especially reading what I read about it here.

I hope for big things from Legend of the Raiders.

Anonymous

ok, Davron on the scifi.com/farscape site helped me figure this out. http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/984/89354/1

Anonymous

i guess i should be a little more specific. i sat down with hubby and figured out the timeline about when we had cable and when we didn’t and it turns out we did have cable (albeit not side b with the scifi channel) during the time the Farscape premiered. but i do know for a fact that we did not have side b with the scifi channel, i did not get side b until july 2000 just in time to tape the Lexx movies and the new Dune movie. i love a mystery but i love figuring it out even more hehe

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.