John Agar has died.

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

I just got this from MST3K Satellite News:

quote:

LOS ANGELES–Satellite News has learned that John Agar, star of the movies in episodes 104 – WOMEN OF THE PREHISTORIC PLANET, 801-REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and 803-THE MOLE PEOPLE died here April 7th of emphysema. He was 81. Agar was born in Chicago, served for three years with the U.S. Army Air Corp. and then turned his attention to a Hollywood career. Among his films were Fort Apache (1948); She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949); The Daughter of Dr.
    Jekyll; The Brain From Planet Arous (1957); Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962); Curse of the Swamp Creature (1967) and King Kong (1976). He also gained notoriety in Hollywood for being the first husband of
    actress/ambassador Shirley Temple. We are preparing a more extensive obituary for Mr. Agar and should have that for you some time on Tuesday.

Most of John Agar’s role’s epitomised the characterization of the arrogant white man in many sci-fi B-movies.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

Yup, he will be missed. I think I’ll have a John Agar film festival with my pals this weekend. He was one of the MST3K greats.

Flamegrape
    Participant

More information about John Agar has been posted over at the Satellite News[/url] website. (I didn’t know he married Shirley Temple!)

I think my favorite John Agar MST3K episode has to be The Mole People (Also featuring Leave It To Beaver’s Hugh Beaumont and Batman’s Alan Napier.) My favorite riff from that episode has to be, “Maybe we shouldn’t have put the world’s oldest clay tablet on that flimsey card table!”

Anonymous

Yeah its funny but when you posted this the only time I had heard that name was in regards to Shirley Temple. I think he was her first husband.

Didnt know he was such a B-Movie star though

Anonymous

Yeah, I loved Agar in the Mole People to.

I think John Agar’s characters can be summed up best by Mike:
    “I’m John, the Pompous Ass!”

No one could beat John Agar. He was the best

We’ll miss you John, wherever you are.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    I think John Agar’s characters can be summed up best by Mike:
    “I’m John, the Pompous Ass!”

No one could beat John Agar. He was the best

We’ll miss you John, wherever you are.

That’s exactly what I was talking about at the beginning of this thread. Right on, dude.

I think Mole People will be one of the episodes I will transfer to DVD in the near future.

Anonymous

I think I know who your talking about! Atleast I remember the name!
    Who did he play in King Kong! And Batman?
    Just Id like to check if Im right! If I am then I sure will miss him to!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.