Jump the shark

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

It’s been a while since a new topic has been put up here, and I just found a great site that gave me an idea for a new topic that could generate a lot of debate among the sci-fi geezers here. When did our favorite science fiction shows “jump the shark” (i.e. stop getting better every episode and started getting worse)? Here’s my opinion-

It jumped the shark when…
    Star Trek (The Original Series)-When they started recycling cornball plots
    Star Trek: The Next Generation-Never jumped
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine-When they got the Defiant
    Star Trek: Voyager-When Kes left
    Doctor Who-When Adric died
    The X-Files-When Deep Throat got shot
    The Lone Gunmen-Never had a chance to jump
    Strange Luck-When it stopped making a damn bit of sense
    Lexx-When Mantrid started disassembling the universe
    Red Dwarf-When Kryten became a regular
    Babylon 5-When Sheridan told the Shadows and the Vorlons to get the hell out of his galaxy
    Crusade-Never had a chance to jump
    Sliders-When they discovered the Kromaggs
    Quantum Leap-Never jumped
    Blake’s 7-When it stopped being like Doctor Who and started being like Battlestar Galactica
    Space: Above and Beyond-Never had a chance to jump
    Alien Nation-When George got pregnant
    Batman-When Batgirl showed up
    Get Smart-When Max and 99 got married
    M.A.N.T.I.S.-When Miles’ clone got blown up
    War of the Worlds-When the guy with the cool wheelchair died
    Max Headroom-Never jumped
    Farscape-When the beginning credits ended

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    It’s been a while since a new topic has been put up here, and I just found a great site that gave me an idea for a new topic that could generate a lot of debate among the sci-fi geezers here. When did our favorite science fiction shows “jump the shark” (i.e. stop getting better every episode and started getting worse)? Here’s my opinion-

It jumped the shark when…
    Star Trek (The Original Series)-When they started recycling cornball plots
    Star Trek: The Next Generation-Never jumped
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine-When they got the Defiant
    Star Trek: Voyager-When Kes left
    Doctor Who-When Adric died
    The X-Files-When Deep Throat got shot
    The Lone Gunmen-Never had a chance to jump
    Strange Luck-When it stopped making a damn bit of sense
    Lexx-When Mantrid started disassembling the universe
    Red Dwarf-When Kryten became a regular

i’ve never heard of this jumping shark terminology before but it’s quite catchy.

i disagree with the dwarf shark-jumping when kryten became a regular. He does have some jokes that fizzle but on the whole I think he inspires some good storylines. Some of the best moments in dwarf came after he became a regular.

I think dwarf initiated shark-jumping when rimmer was replaced with kochanski. Then they un-jumped a shark when red dwarfs crew was resurrected by the nanobots. What a comeback season!

toodle pipsky

Anonymous

DalekTek,

You must be a Howard Stern fan, too….the guy from the “Jump the Shark” site was a guest….I found it very interesting and about 99% accurate…

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

quote:

Farscape-When the beginning credits ended

Them’s fightin’ words ! Well, here’s what I think –
    Original Trek – never jumped
    Star Trek TNG – when the writers thought it would be cute to get Worf and Deanna together
    Deep Space Nine – when the writers got Worf and Jadzia together
    Voyager – I didn’t get to watch enough of it to have an opinion
    Doctor Who – when Tom Baker’s doctor was killed, and Peter Davidson came on
    Lexx – never jumped
    Farscape – sure hasn’t jumped, although Zhaan’s death hurt it
    Mann & Machine – never had a chance to go downhill
    Friday the 13th the Series – season 3 when Ryan was turned into a child in the 2nd episode – or even when Johnny was introduced in Wedding Bell Blues in season 2
    Quantum Leap – never jumped
    Buffy – had a slight jump after season 3, but has got better than ever last season
    Angel – hasn’t jumped yet
    V the Series – didn’t have a chance – damn NBC for cancelling it!

Flamegrape
    Participant

Star Trek (The Original Series)- Spock’s Brain “Brain? What is… brain?”

Star Trek: The Next Generation- the warp 7(?) speed limit.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine- Timecode frame 00:00:01 of the pilot episode.

Star Trek: Voyager- When they turned Seska into a badguy. Got better after 6of9 joined up. Started to spiral after Unamatrix 001.

Doctor Who- n/a [haven’t seen it all]

The X-Files- When Moulder got kidnapped by aliens.

The Lone Gunmen- I blinked! Where did it go?

Strange Luck- n/a [who?]

Lexx- Timecode frame 47:59:29 of episode, 4.24 Yo Way Yo.

Red Dwarf- n/a [haven’t seen it all]

Babylon 5- Pilot episode when Lyta left for
    Earth. Got better when she returned. Sad when she left again.

Crusade- When they cancelled it.

Sliders- The Cro-Mags.

Quantum Leap- When he met this guy in some bar who claimed he was God, controlling his jumps. Was that the last episode? I don’t remember. I thought it was lame.

Blake’s 7- n/a [never saw it]

Space: Above and Beyond- When the writers started writing the dialogue of the show. Cool idea, stupid and dull dialogue. How did FTL travel work?

Alien Nation- When the slaves were set free on Earth. Oh wait– that’s the premise!

Batman- The Hostess Twinkie ads in the comic books during the 1970s.

Get Smart- n/a [don’t remember]

M.A.N.T.I.S.- n/a [avoided show like the plague]

War of the Worlds- n/a [don’t remember]

Max Headroom- n/a [don’t remember]

Farscape- When the blue lady died. Tho I like the klutzy redhead! Show’s not over yet. Much as Lexx fans hate the show, it’s a good show nonetheless.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    DalekTek,

You must be a Howard Stern fan, too….the guy from the “Jump the Shark” site was a guest….

No! I do not watch Howard Stern!

Anonymous

All that can be said about those listed above has been said so I’ll only mention new ones.

Seaquest- Jumped when they switched captains. Bring back Bridger!

Earth 2- It never got the chance to jump in the public eye. Thank, whichever divine being you’re affiliated with, that the proposed (read: butchered) pilot for season 2 was never aired.

Anonymous
    Inactive

YOu have to admin, without Kryten you wouldn’t have the episode with the hand/spider (the name of which I can never remember)

Anonymous

Wadda great site!

Thanks for telling us about it.

I guess I’d agree with half of yer jumping (especially the Get Smart), but Dr Who jumped for me when Bonny Langford joined the show (although she has quite a bnice bum) ๐Ÿ™‚

Babylon 5 jumped when Byron started singing huggy huggy songs with his nutty pals and Red Dwarf jumped at the end of season 8 when there was no plans for season 9

…. wow! I could go on for hours!

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Wadda great site!

Thanks for telling us about it.

I guess I’d agree with half of yer jumping (especially the Get Smart), but Dr Who jumped for me when Bonny Langford joined the show (although she has quite a bnice bum) ๐Ÿ™‚

I thought the cast was best during the Peter Davison era with Tegan, Nyssa, and Adric as companions. That was Doctor Who‘s golden age. Then they killed off Adric. Matthew Watterhouse is one of the greatest actors the show ever saw, and the character of Adric was very well-written. He was truly unlike any other companion in the entire run of the show, with complications that had only begun to be explored. But they killed him off. They didn’t even write him out by having him marry some alien chick or stay to help some underdeveloped planet, either. They decided to kill off our favorite Alzarian, and the show was never the same again. It destroyed the entire character chemistry.

Now, Doctor Who improved greatly after the Colin Baker Doctor got killed off (in a sense) and we got Sylvester McCoy. That was when the show almost reached the Davison level of perfection, but not quite. I, personally, thought Bonnie Langford was pretty good. I mean, she was no Janet Fielding but Mel was a good companion and she played her well. I don’t see why everybody loves Ace so much.

Those are my Who thoughts.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

quote:

Now, Doctor Who improved greatly after the Colin Baker Doctor got killed off (in a sense) and we got Sylvester McCoy. That was when the show almost reached the Davison level of perfection, but not quite. I, personally, thought Bonnie Langford was pretty good. I mean, she was no Janet Fielding but Mel was a good companion and she played her well. I don’t see why everybody loves Ace so much.

Those are my Who thoughts.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

I do agree that Sylvestor McCoy was a good doctor. But, I liked Ace, and hated Mel. I think what I hated about Mel was her voice. And, she seemed to scream way too much.

Anonymous

quote:

Babylon 5-When Sheridan told the Shadows and the Vorlons to get the hell out of his galaxy
    Crusade-Never had a chance to jump

Notice the bit about “His” galaxy – he did think the galaxy was his didnt he

Never had a chance to jump, well yeah it did, it jumped just as the previous program faded out and it faded in for the first episode

Anonymous

Actually, he said “our” galaxy–meaning it belonged to all the younger races who weren’t going to let the Shadows and Vorlons play with them anymore.

Not that I really care…but I always have had a soft spot for Sheridan.

Anonymous

Agree with a lot of this stuff, just want people to look at all of this same as I did. Kiss kiss
    Off for the nite. Ook ook!

Anonymous

B5- I liked it less when Lockley was captain, and when Lennier tried to kill Sheridan I was NOT happy at ALL.
    Crusade- liked it for the most part, especially the Galen/Dureena and Gideon/Lockley dynamics.
    really want to know what’s going on with Delenn & Sheridan and their kid and LYTA(the epitome of coolness). Did ya know? Legend of the Rangers might turn into a series, and if it lasts long enough it’ll satisfactorly finish up Crusade and tie up loose ends with B5.
    voyager-had some dry spells but remained fairly good the entire time.
    Buffy/Angel-is, was, and ever shall be GOD.

SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING
    Spike, Buffy kissing. Angel’s baby. it’s SPECTACULAR!!!
    SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING

Lexx/Farscape- always good.
    Strange Luck- the one on fox? yeah, it just stopped having any semblance of a plot after awhile.
    Lone Gunmen- I saw them on X-files recently, they seem disgruntled.
    Sliders-after Quinn and Colin left. the series finale made me angry!!
    Earth2- never jumped. why did they cancel

Anonymous

oops, have no idea how I double posted, ‘specially since flood control is activated, but might as well include something relevant to the topic:

For each ecstatic instant
    We must an anguish pay
    In keen and quivering ratio
    To the ecstasy.
    For each beloved hour
    Sharp pittances of years-
    Bitter contested farthing-
    And Coffers heaped with Tears!
    – Emily Dickinson

Remember the best shows are the ones that can go the most wrong! Look at Sliders!

[ 18-11-2001: Message edited by: brainplague ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

I just received word that the upcoming X-Files episode 9X15 will be titled Jump the Shark.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek

“I will love you forever!” -790

[ 31-03-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

I just received word that the upcoming X-Files episode 9X15 will be titled Jump the Shark.

Shouldn’t they have done that episode a few years ago?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Shouldn’t they have done that episode a few years ago?

That was my thought.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.