Just saw the pilot episode, Serenity

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Firefly Just saw the pilot episode, Serenity

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

A really bad version (poor quality) was posted on one of the newsgroups. After spending a day downloading it I was AMAZED how much better it was than the first episode ‘The Train Job’

I should tell you, The Train Job is a ‘Filler Episode’ not nearly as good as the pilot show. I guess Joss Whedon was massively Piqued at Fox’s insistance that they change the first episode and decided to spite them by churning out a duff one

Ok, maybe not but after the disappointment of the first one, I’m much more encouraged by the pilot.

nursewhen
    Participant

Gah! Why am I always so blinking late? ๐Ÿ˜ก
    I just discover a series called Firefly only to find it’s been bloody axed! How could they? More Buffy than you can shake a many pronged stick at and only one Firefly!!!

I love it! The gun toting, American war of independence feel and no Startreky pseudo science.

So, on with the inane newbie question. Who is more attractive, Inara or Kaylee? Personally I think Inara is drop dead gorgeous, but Kaylee has a personality that shines which in my book puts her ahead. Where else a you find an engineer who puts pretty flower stencils on the walls? Or there’s Zoe, independent, tough, sexy.

Dr When thought I’d like Jayne best as the hunky one. I much prefer the captain myself. (Grrrrr)

Fave bits so far are Serenity when the federal agent grabbed Riverand said ‘I’m not playing’ and the captain came storming on board and just shot him out of hand.
    Other one in the ‘Train Job’ where Mal kicked the bad guy into the jet intake and then found the next guy in line much easier to negotiate with.

Sorry, no form to this post, just ramblings, please ramble too.

pet
    Participant

I love how they use the above referenced logical violence and not TV violence. It’s not a show where you ask each other “Why don’t they just kill the bad guy?”

Also, Kaylee “represents the soul of the ship” according to the commentary.

And Captain No-pants is cuter, but Jayne is my favorite character. He’s the funniest.

I hope the movie answers what’s in the Companion’s case and who the Shepherd really is, I’m dying here! ๐Ÿ™

Headgehog
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

Gah! Why am I always so blinking late? ๐Ÿ˜ก
    I just discover a series called Firefly only to find it’s been bloody axed! How could they?

Well luckily they’re in the process of making a movie: Serenity, based on the TV show.

Firefly was one of those shows that the individual episodes weren’t that great, but the series as a whole was. It was greater then the sum of its parts, much like the crew. Ironically my favourite episode was one that never even aired in the States: Trash.

Who is more attractive, Inara or Kaylee? Personally I think Inara is drop dead gorgeous, but Kaylee has a personality that shines which in my book puts her ahead. Where else a you find an engineer who puts pretty flower stencils on the walls? Or there’s Zoe, independent, tough, sexy.

I’d have to go with Kaylee. But that by no means is to say that Inara isn’t attractive.

pet wrote:

I hope the movie answers what’s in the Companion’s case

What companion’s case?

and who the Shepherd really is,

My guess is that he’s a bounty hunter or marshall (government equivalent).

I will be completeing the 9 episode reviews for Firefly over the next month. Once the semester is over I’ll have plenty of time to finish up the 13 assorted reviews I’ve been meaning to do. Asode from the Tripping the Rift and Futurama stuff.

pet
    Participant

Inara pulls out a small case when the Reavers are upon them. It’s assumed to be some kind of suicide thing. In the commentary they said it wasn’t, but it was very important. They had planned to bring it back later, but, you know, the show got cancelled and then won an Emmy…. moronic TV execs. ๐Ÿ™„

(I’m a sucker for commentaries. Especially when Dimaggio shows up in the Futurama ones…. Or when he and Billy West do theirs in character. Best commentaries ever! ๐Ÿ˜† )

Headgehog
    Participant

I did not know that, I rarely listen to the commentaries. I did just watch that scene with the commentar, and Nathan Fillion even points out that its now going to bug the fans. It is rather annoying.

nursewhen
    Participant

I’m back with more random burbling.

Have now seen more and the Mrs Reynolds episode is now my favourite. It’s also just struck me that none of the ships are armed! (apart from the military stuff) How rare is that? I can’t think of a sci fi program with space ships where all of the shootouts are on a personal level. When you need ship to ship combat, you just hang Jayne out of a window with a big gun. Brilliant!

Looking forward to the gag reel. ๐Ÿ˜€

Headgehog
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

It’s also just struck me that none of the ships are armed! (apart from the military stuff) How rare is that? I can’t think of a sci fi program with space ships where all of the shootouts are on a personal level. When you need ship to ship combat, you just hang Jayne out of a window with a big gun. Brilliant!

I think its because the Alliance severely limits the use of ship based weapons. After the little civil war, I would think the control freak Alliance would want to limit any future problems.

It’s kinda cool about the hand mounted ship weapon. Almost all of Sci Fi ignores projectile weapons. B5 covered it briefly when the Centauri bombarded Narn with mass driven asteroids. Which in reality would pretty much destroy the planet’s ecosystem, not to mention the infrastructure. Most scifi forgets that knocking a small hole in the hull of ship is enough to depressurize an entire unprepared ship in a short period of time. Cracking glass (not plexi) will get it done faster.
    Forget high tech weapons like lasers and photon torpedoes, we’ve been killing each other successfully with primitive weapons for eons, just stick with what works! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking forward to the gag reel. ๐Ÿ˜€

I don’t want to sound negative, but it wasn’t that great. It was funny, but it was only a couple minutes long, so there wasn’t much there.

nursewhen
    Participant
    Headgehog wrote:

I don’t want to sound negative, but it wasn’t that great. It was funny, but it was only a couple minutes long, so there wasn’t much there.

My bubble bursteth ๐Ÿ™

๐Ÿ˜‰

bitters
    Participant

does anyone have a scoop on what the movie of Firefly wil be like?

pet
    Participant

Beware! Rumors only, may not be true!

Well, no Ron Glass so far.

Syfyportal

Movie Trailers and movie posters here:

Industrial Looniee and Madness

(These are not real, but I like the tagline “Big Damn Movie”! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

And you can sign up for the Versal’s mailing list here, but you’ll get a lot of Bridget Jones sequel crap as well:

Universal Pictures[/url]

DoctorWhen
    Participant

I figured I might as well join in, as I too am enjoying Firefly. It’s even better showing them to NurseWhen the second time around now I’ve finally got round to buying the DVD set. I had originally seen most of the episodes downloaded in wonderful Pixellated-Grainyvision from Kazaa.

I was very disappointed that there were to be no more episodes, so I joined the rest of the fans and emailed Fox. Fat lot of good that did!

I am looking forward to the movie, but I’m wondering if they’ll spend half the time explaining backgrounds & characters covered in “Serenity” and the rest of the series.

nursewhen
    Participant

Heavens! It’s Dr When!

I too have my reservations about a film. Not that they’ll spend too long explaining the existing backgrounds, but that they’ll spend too little time on the backgrounds that as yet remain a mystery. There’s scope there for a good B5 style, 5 series unwinding of motivations and past lives. It’ll be a shame to serve it all up in 2.5 hours.
    I like to be trickle fed my answers to mysteries. Then you have all the fun of speculating at length.

Lois_Lane
    Participant

Just stopping in to finally say Hello[/b] to DoctorWhen.

wozop nursie? ๐Ÿ˜†

I am big fan of GINA TORRES (SAD should do a Cleo2525 forum ๐Ÿ˜ˆ )

pet
    Participant
    Lois_Lane wrote:

(SAD should do a Cleo2525 forum ๐Ÿ˜ˆ )

*whispers*
    (You could probably get a Cleo section in the guide if you were willing to do the reviews….)

Oh, and Hiya!

Pet

nursewhen
    Participant
    Lois_Lane wrote:

Just stopping in to finally say Hello[/b] to DoctorWhen.

wozop nursie? ๐Ÿ˜†

I am big fan of GINA TORRES (SAD should do a Cleo2525 forum ๐Ÿ˜ˆ )

Wozzop Lois ๐Ÿ˜€
    I’ll let the good Doctor know that he has greetings on the board. 8) He’s a somewhat sporadic visitor

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.