Kin-Dza-Dza on DVD

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Kin-Dza-Dza on DVD

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

I got my copy in the mail the other day. The picture and sound is excellent! There’s one problem. It’s all in Russian and there’s no English subtitles included! I managed to demux the DVD and bring it into Adobe Encore. I’m in the process of typing up really nice-looking subtitles. Thanks, SadGeezer, for all the time you put into making those DIVX files a few years ago. You made me into a fan of this gem of a film. Using your translations as a reference, I’m making a new subtitle track for the DVD. I’ll have to conjur some new menus but the results ought to be very nice. If anyone knows what the hell I’m talking about and would like a copy, I’m open to suggestions. There’s also the issue of PAL translation from NTSC. Koo!

alnexi
    Participant

I got my NTCS copy from a Russian dvd webstore here in the US and the quality of the DVD is indeed amazing, all things considered. I’ve always wished someone made the English subtitles. I’m sure the fellow Lexxians in particular would enjoy it tremendously. Koo!

Anonymous

It’s already been done!!

I have a full DVD quality copy of the disk and NewKate subbed it. Flame – whatever you do, don’t go through all th epain of re-subbing without first checkinvg out the sub files that I have!!

Alnexi, if you want, I can send you a subbed DVD – in fact I really need to work out a way of making this available for download.

How about I rip it to a good quality avi and upload it as a bittorrent file? Would you guys download it?

I’ll take a crack at it today and report back.

It’s GREAT! that peeps like this film – it’s such a classic and yet not many sci fi sadgeezers have ever heard of it!

Anonymous

I’ve managed top rip the subs from the DVD. They are at:

SRT format: Click Here
    SSA format: Click Here
    SUB format: Click Here

I’m in the process of ripping the DVD to an AVI file (takes 7 hours). Then I’ll upload it as a torrent to someplace like torrentspy or isohunt.

I’ll let you know when it’s done.

Flamegrape
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

It’s already been done!!

I have a full DVD quality copy of the disk and NewKate subbed it. Flame – whatever you do, don’t go through all th epain of re-subbing without first checkinvg out the sub files that I have!!

I’ll check it out. However, I’ve already gone through about 30 minutes of the film. This is the first time I’ve done subtitles so I might be doing something wrong and it might be all for naught. You know how these technical projects can go.

SadGeezer wrote:

I’ve managed top rip the subs from the DVD. They are at:

SRT format: Click Here
    SSA format: Click Here
    SUB format: Click Here

I’m in the process of ripping the DVD to an AVI file (takes 7 hours). Then I’ll upload it as a torrent to someplace like torrentspy or isohunt.

I’ll let you know when it’s done.

I’ll download those files and take a look at them if I can. I must admit that I don’t know what those different formats are all about. I’m using Adobe Encore and it’s a very nice WYSIWYG program. I just type in the subtitles in a video preview window and adjust it using a timeline and character properties control. I like what I’m seeing so far. I’m using Albertus font for the subtitles, the same font that was used for numerous John Carpenter movie titles and credits. I’m also able to set the position of the subtitles so I can occasionally position them directly underneath the speaking character.

But like I said, I might have screwed something up and I just don’t know it yet.

I’ll check in with you later. ๐Ÿ™‚

alnexi
    Participant

Alnexi, if you want, I can send you a subbed DVD – in fact I really need to work out a way of making this available for download.

Thanks, I speak Russian so I can watch it without subtitles. But it would be terrific if more people can see it. So to make it somehow available for at least a few like-minded individuals would be terrific It sometimes feels I haven’t seen a good sci-fi (or indeed anything else on TV) for ages. ..
    PS This doesn’t belong to this threat but speaking of RUssian movies, did Katya see the new TV version of Master i Margarita (which is a sci-fi to some extent)…? If so, what did she think? I am thinking about getting it but the reviews are rather mixed.

Anonymous
    alnexi wrote:

PS This doesn’t belong to this threat but speaking of RUssian movies, did Katya see the new TV version of Master i Margarita (which is a sci-fi to some extent)…? If so, what did she think? I am thinking about getting it but the reviews are rather mixed.

Wow! Thats spooky!!

We’re watching it at the moment!!! Katya’s mum sent us a DVD (Russian) and Katya is translating it as we watch – it’s a bit tireing I guess, but that’s how she introduced me to Kin Dza Dza! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, we’re loving it. We’ve only seen the first two episodes so far but it’s great! Can’t wait to see the rest.

Anonymous
    Flamegrape wrote:

… I must admit that I don’t know what those different formats are all about. I’m using Adobe Encore and it’s a very nice WYSIWYG program. I just type in the subtitles in a video preview window and adjust it using a timeline and character properties control. I like what I’m seeing so far. I’m using Albertus font for the subtitles, the same font that was used for numerous John Carpenter movie titles and credits. I’m also able to set the position of the subtitles so I can occasionally position them directly underneath the speaking character.

The SRT file is a standard subtext file format that is usually used with fansubbers (SSA is also a similar format and the preferred one for oldies like me – used with the subtitler program called Sub Station Alpha). The SUB format is actualy a video text overlay that the DVD player places on top of the video when it is being played.

I use VirtualDubMod for the editing of the film mux the subs and video using the textsub filter from Gabest. This is probabloy useless to you if you are using different software, but there should be a function that will allow you to add a subtitle file.

I have the film encoding in two parts to avi and have added the subtitles. I’m just waiting for the second part to complete before uploading the torrent to the tracker sites. I’ll post the torrent files here when completed – should be in a few hours.

Anonymous

I’ve uploaded the torrent to TorrentSpy at:

Click HERE to see the entry

To download files like this you will need a torrent client such as uTorrent. Click HERE to download uTorrent.

alnexi
    Participant

Yeah, we’re loving it.

Into my shopping cart it goes, thanks!!!!

Anonymous

I’ll seed this until Sunday. If you want it, get it now (see links above).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.