Lexx death toll

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I lost track after about the sixth episode. However best guess at wear the number was includeing Xev in “Magic Baby” it had to be over a hundred. I will come back with a complete count later but for now I wonder if anyone out there knows what the real death toll is as of “Magic Baby”

-SM

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Slopmaster:

it had to be over a hundred.

I think we’re past an individual count–don’t forget Cuba, Orlando and Newfoundland.

elmey

DalekTek790
    Participant

Objects the Lexx has blown up
    -Frontier Post 65798-4-8 (1.1)
    -The Mega Shadow (1.1)
    -Klaagia (1.3)
    -The Cluster (1.4)
    -Mantrid’s planet (2.01)
    -A red planetoid in the Quadra System (Zev, 2.02)
    -An orange planetoid (2.03)
    -The Eagle 5 (accidental, 2.03)
    -A grey planetoid (2.04)
    -A von Neumann planetoid (2.08)
    -Vermol (2.08)
    -A space trailer (accidental, 2.10)
    -A mining planet (accidental, 2.14)
    -The Web (2.17)
    -Fire (Zev, 3.13)
    -Water (Prince, 3.13)
    -Pluto (4.02)
    -Orlando, Florida (accidental, 4.04)
    -Venus (Lulu, 4.10)
    -Mars (Lulu, 4.10)
    -A satellite (accidental, 4.10)
    -The International Space Station (accidental, 4.10)

Objects Mantrid’s drone arms have disassembled
    -The MedStat Medical Terminal (2.02)
    -Potataho (2.03)
    -The T.V. Planet (2.05)
    -The Celes Pleasure Station (2.06)
    -Ruuma (2.13)
    -The Wolfram-T Galaxy (2.14)
    -Narco-Lounger World (2.14)
    -Woz (2.15)
    -A galaxy near the center of the universe (2.16)
    -The D.J.’s planet (2.19)
    -Brizon’s planet (2.19)

Planets that have been blown up in other ways
    -Brunnis-2 (the Fore Shadow, 1.1)
    -Brunnis-1 (super nova, 1.2)
    -A brown planetoid (self-destruct system, 2.09)
    -Nook (bad knowledge, 2.11)

[ 03-10-2001: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Headgehog
    Participant

Thanks DalekTek790 for writing it all down. Just a few corrections/additions though:

Mantrid Drones didn’t destroy Lister/Liber they destroyed each other in the ratings war 2.5; so they should go into the destroyed in other ways category. The drones ate the TV Planet. The whole light Zone should probably be added to the mantrid Drone List.

Lexx also blew up the VW-Bus like spaceship in 2.10, the international space station 4.10, a satellite above earth 4.10, a cryopod carrying some poor sod 1.2, and other spacecraft he ate along the way, 2.07 4.01

Finally the two planets that used Klaagia as a dump also destroyed each in some war. Hence all the asteroids Lexx crashed into on its way to Klaagia. 1.3

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Thanks DalekTek790 for writing it all down. Just a few corrections/additions though:

Mantrid Drones didn’t destroy Lister/Liber they destroyed each other in the ratings war 2.5; so they should go into the destroyed in other ways category. The drones ate the TV Planet. The whole light Zone should probably be added to the mantrid Drone List.

Lexx also blew up the VW-Bus like spaceship in 2.10, the international space station 4.10, a satellite above earth 4.10, a cryopod carrying some poor sod 1.2, and other spacecraft he ate along the way, 2.07 4.01

Finally the two planets that used Klaagia as a dump also destroyed each in some war. Hence all the asteroids Lexx crashed into on its way to Klaagia. 1.3

I got Leester and Liber mixed up with the T.V. planet.

I don’t think anything happened to the guy in the cryopod, he just floated by. 790 had been given the specific command to locate Brunnis-1, and being a robot, he ignored significant things not included in the command. I wonder when they’ll get back to the Children of Vora.

I’ve missed a few fourth season episodes, so I’m not quite up on the destruction. Was the space station blown up, or just eaten? I didn’t count stuff the Lexx ate. That trailer the teens were frozen in for 287 years was eaten, not blown up, right?

Now, this whole blown-up planet thing gets me to the topic of the Lexx’s beams. What are they? I don’t think they’ve ever been called “lasers” or anything else in dialog. The best clue was in Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow, where an officer on the Mega Shadow says “The Lexx is opening its ocular parabola.” Parabola are only used in the focusing of light, so that rules out plasma, particle beams, etc.

But we still don’t know if it’s lasers or masers. Both are focussed with parabolic mirrors. If lasers were the case, we’d expect a more or less clean vaporization of matter at the point of contact and little damage to surrounding matter outside the penumbra. With a maser, the idea would be to heat the material to the point in which it fractures from uneven expansion.

So the latter would seem more consistent with the Lexx’s beams. We know they’re hot, like masers, since they caused melting and burning in Orlandoin Stan Down. But in Lexx 1.4: The Giga Shadow the Cluster (containing a giant Insect) is blown up with the Lexx’s beams, and we get a close-up look at the debris. There are no visible signs of melting on any of the chunks, which would accompany maser fire. The Cluster appears to be composed of non-igneous silicates, which should be both susceptable and indicative of melting.

A standard laser seems inconsistent with the Lexx’s beams. However, it is possible the beams are cased not just by laser but gas excitation provoked by laser. This would mean a photoreactive gas is expelled from the viscinity of the Lexx’s ocular parabola toward the target. This is consistent with the localized nature of the beams, and more notably the color. “Straight” lasers would be invisible until they reacted with a planet’s atmosphere. Judging by the color, the Lexx’s beams, if laser, are neon-argon (I think, don’t hold me to that). The only problem with the gas theory is that gas would be effected by the gravitational pull of a planet. The beams fired at planetoids by the Lexx don’t seem to arc toward the body at all.

It seems both the laser and maser theories of the Lexx’s beams run into some problems. I don’t know what to make of this conundrum. And the writers are probably not saying what the beams really are simply to keep fans guessing. It seems the mystery of the Lexx’s beams will remain unsolved until explanatory dialog is written into a future episode of Lexx.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    It seems both the laser and maser theories of the Lexx’s beams run into some problems. I don’t know what to make of this conundrum. And the writers are probably not saying what the beams really are simply to keep fans guessing. It seems the mystery of the Lexx’s beams will remain unsolved until explanatory dialog is written into a future episode of Lexx.

As said in another post, LEXX does not bother in getting itself bogged down in technobabble like the Trek spawn. When it comes down to it, does it really *matter* how a giant bug with biomechanical components is able to blow up a planet? Is that something that we should *concern* ourselves with? I mean, simple things like how Xev’s hair can grow while Stan’s doesn’t, why Kai’s bun grows and shrinks betwen seasons but is incredibly hard to muss, how they wash their clothes, where they brush their teeth, where those human bones come from, etc., have not been seriously answered, so I think the nature of the LEXX’s weapon is probably low on the list. It’s not that they couldn’t come up with an answer — Paul D. has a hard science background — but it’s the blissful lack of attention paid to such *incredibly* boring details such as this that gives LEXX its delirious edge. The science they’ve used in the past has fluctuated between being halfway accurate to incredibly and grossly innacurate, and one gets the feeling that they just say some things because it “sounds right.”

Laser or maser…

–Aleck

Anonymous

I basically agree with Aleck in that the main attractions of Lexx are the compelling characters and story lines, rather than the accuracy of the scientific details. If you become overly concerned with the science, then otherwise good episodes like Lafftrak, where folks walk around without breathing apparatus on tiny man-made planetoids and disembodied heads survive for years in jars, or 791, where open-heart surgery takes on a new meaning, just seem downright silly. Sometimes they actually push the silliness a little too far for me, like the end of Supernova, but for the most part I’m willing to accept the inaccuracies for the sake of a good story.

Having said that, I can’t resist a little technobabble. Please correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the term maser stand for “microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation”. So basically it’s a high power microwave amplifier which emits electromagnetic radiation usually in the centimeter to millimeter wavelength range – a long way off from visible wavelengths. Now admittedly, extremely high electric fields can lead to dielectric breakdown and arcing, but I don’t think the resulting pattern would look like Lexx’s weapon in S1-S3, or especially S4.

Headgehog
    Participant

originally posted by DalekTek790

quote:

That trailer the teens were frozen in for 287 years was eaten, not blown up,
    right?

If you remember, they blew up the trailer in an attempt to destroy wacked out Kai.
    Fortunately for Kai he escaped in a moth, unfortunately for Stan and Xev.

quote:

I’ve missed a few fourth season episodes, so I’m not quite up on the
    destruction. Was the space station blown up, or just eaten? I didn’t count stuff the Lexx
    ate.

*s4 spoiler
    In 4.10 the ISS and a random Satellite is destroyed by the Lexx when 790 and Stan try to
    move the Lexx by controlling its ion thrusters.

Consequently this brings us to the next topic.

quote:

Now, this whole blown-up planet thing gets me to the topic of the Lexx’s
    beams. What are they? I don’t think they’ve ever been called “lasers” or anything else in
    dialog. The best clue was in Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow, where an officer on the
    Mega Shadow says “The Lexx is opening its ocular parabola.” Parabola are only used in
    the focusing of light, so that rules out plasma, particle beams, etc.

But we still don’t know if it’s lasers or masers. Both are focussed with parabolic mirrors.
    If lasers were the case, we’d expect a more or less clean vaporization of matter at the
    point of contact and little damage to surrounding matter outside the penumbra. With a
    maser, the idea would be to heat the material to the point in which it fractures from
    uneven expansion.

So the latter would seem more consistent with the Lexx’s beams. We know they’re hot,
    like masers, since they caused melting and burning in Orlandoin Stan Down. But in Lexx
    1.4: The Giga Shadow the Cluster (containing a giant Insect) is blown up with the Lexx’s
    beams, and we get a close-up look at the debris. There are no visible signs of melting on
    any of the chunks, which would accompany maser fire. The Cluster appears to be
    composed of non-igneous silicates, which should be both susceptable and indicative of
    melting.

A standard laser seems inconsistent with the Lexx’s beams. However, it is possible the
    beams are cased not just by laser but gas excitation provoked by laser. This would mean
    a photoreactive gas is expelled from the viscinity of the Lexx’s ocular parabola toward
    the target. This is consistent with the localized nature of the beams, and more notably the
    color. “Straight” lasers would be invisible until they reacted with a planet’s atmosphere.
    Judging by the color, the Lexx’s beams, if laser, are neon-argon (I think, don’t hold me to
    that). The only problem with the gas theory is that gas would be effected by the
    gravitational pull of a planet. The beams fired at planetoids by the Lexx don’t seem to arc
    toward the body at all.

It seems both the laser and maser theories of the Lexx’s beams run into some problems. I
    don’t know what to make of this conundrum. And the writers are probably not saying
    what the beams really are simply to keep fans guessing. It seems the mystery of the
    Lexx’s beams will remain unsolved until explanatory dialog is written into a future
    episode of Lexx.

Well I guess the mystery was somewhat solved in 4.10. Apparently the Lexx uses a
    particle accelerator focused and refocused from various angles to destroy planets. As a
    nuclear engineering student I’m familiar with particle accelerators, I can quite easily say
    that the energy required to blow up a moderate sized planet is just ung-dly. The particles
    would have to be accelerated to somewhere around 10x their rest mass. However their
    relative masses doesn’t really matter, if there was enough particles moving that fast, then in theory the task could be done, albeit with near infinite energy. The best I can figure the weapon is some kind of mild interacting anti-particles (probably tau or muon) which
    upon interaction would either annihilate the target matter or transmutate into something
    radically different and via conservation of momentum, send them flying in another
    direction. The resulting gamma rays from particle/antiparticle annihilation would strip off the electrons of the nearby matter, causing a further breakdown. While all this is happening, the planets center of mass and total mass is begin radically changed. Probably enough so that the newly accelerated former-target atoms are no longer bound by each
    others gravity and then are free to move themselves in whatever direction the laws of
    physics dictate. Larger chunks of matter could still remain if they were far enough away
    from the point of contact with the weapon.
    This is just my hypothesis on the Lexx’s weapon, so I may be wrong.

originally posted by Aleck

quote:

As said in another post, LEXX does not bother in getting itself bogged down in
    technobabble like the Trek spawn. When it comes down to it, does it really *matter* how
    a giant bug with biomechanical components is able to blow up a planet? Is that
    something that we should *concern* ourselves with? I mean, simple things like how
    Xev’s hair can grow while Stan’s doesn’t, why Kai’s bun grows and shrinks betwen
    seasons but is incredibly hard to muss, how they wash their clothes, where they brush
    their teeth, where those human bones come from, etc., have not been seriously answered,
    so I think the nature of the LEXX’s weapon is probably low on the list. It’s not that they couldn’t come up with an answer — Paul D. has a hard science background — but it’s the blissful lack of attention paid to such *incredibly* boring details such as this that gives LEXX its delirious edge. The science they’ve used in the past has fluctuated between
    being halfway accurate to incredibly and grossly innacurate, and one gets the feeling that they just say some things because it “sounds right.”

here, here Aleck. One of the things I love about Lexx is its total disregaurd for things like laws of physics and continuity. It helps me escape the constraints of what I have to study. I love the explanation of, “It just works, that why” Conversely though, I enjoy B5 because its quite possibly one of the best shows as far as obeying the laws of science. Lexx is still my favorite though.

originally posted by Jason

Please correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the term maser stand for “microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation”. So basically it’s a high power microwave amplifier which emits electromagnetic radiation usually in the centimeter to millimeter wavelength range – a long way off from visible wavelengths. Now admittedly, extremely high electric fields can lead to dielectric breakdown and arcing, but I don’t think the resulting pattern would look like Lexx’s weapon in S1-S3, or especially S4.

I have no idea what the pattern would like, a wave of glowing particles seems like a good idea. As for microwaves, we use microwaves to cook our food becaseu they excited the electrons with ejecting them, or ionizing our food, thus breakign down the foods base proteins into different chemicals. I’m not sure if adding more intesity to the microwaves would have more then an effect of heating the substance more. But I’m not entirely sure, that more of a EE or thermophysics topic than a Nuke E

Anonymous

**mary beth slowly bangs her head against the keyboard**
    ‘teacher, may i be excused’ hehe!
    come on guys, it is Lexx, it’s fun!!!
    sometimes, it is better not to over-analyze certain things, just let them be what they are.
    i remember how sad i was when i found out about santa claus!

Anonymous

quote:

I don’t think anything happened to the guy in the cryopod, he just floated by. 790 had been given the specific command to locate Brunnis-1, and being a robot, he ignored significant things not included in the command. …

If you mean the guy who was floating around in the hope of meeting someone who could save his planet from a plague: I’m pretty sure he crashed into the Lexx.

Anonymous
    Inactive

quote:

Originally posted by Aurora:
    If you mean the guy who was floating around in the hope of meeting someone who could save his planet from a plague: I’m pretty sure he crashed into the Lexx.

He did. The pod exploded and the Lexx said ‘Ouch’

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    The pod exploded and the Lexx said ‘Ouch’

I must’ve missed that. Anyway, there were cryopods like that floating all over the Dark Zone, based on the recording. I wonder when they’ll get back to that. They put it there like a teaser for a later episode.

Headgehog
    Participant

I kinda doubt that we’ll ever see any more dark zone humans besides those found on Earth. Maybe when that movie was made a few years ago, the beans were forshadowing, but with the rest of the Lexx saga happening on earth, other dark zone stories seems unlikely.

Anonymous

Xev is only temperely dead she will be brought back so I dont think she should count cause she will be back

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    Laser or maser…

–Aleck

“If you’re wondering how he eats and breathes
    And other science facts
    Repeat to yourself, ‘It’s just a show!
    I should really just relax!’
    For Mystery Science Theater 3000…”

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Maybe when that movie was made a few years ago, the beans were forshadowing, but with the rest of the Lexx saga happening on earth, other dark zone stories seems unlikely.

Actually, Earth is located in the Dark Zone (yes, Aleck, my theory was correct ), so technically all the fourth season episodes are Dark Zone stories.

Anonymous

quote:

Actually, Earth is located in the Dark Zone (yes, Aleck, my theory was correct ), so technically all the fourth season episodes are Dark Zone stories.

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, DT, I don’t live to shoot down everything you say. You’re not *that* important. When you’re right, you’re right, and I’m more than willing to admit that and agree with you if it warrants agreeing upon. When you’re wrong, it’d be nice if you *admitted* that you were wrong, but I’m more than willing to step up to the plate and admit that you’re wrong *for* you. Save you a step or two that you won’t be taking anyway.
    So you were right about Earth being in the Dark Zone. That’s cool. Very nice guesswork. Of course, you were absolutely wrong in your theory about the *nature* of this planet, and what it would be like when the LEXX arrived (sorry, Roddenberry-esque Utopianism don’t fly in the dark zone).

–Aleck

Headgehog
    Participant

originally posted by DalekTek790

quote:

Actually, Earth is located in the Dark Zone (yes, Aleck, my theory
    was correct ), so technically all the fourth season episodes are
    Dark Zone stories.

what I meant was dark zone stories other then whats happenign on earth.

It was hinted that the Earth was inthe dark zone all the way back to 1.2 Super Nova. When 790 is scanning all the planets you can breifly see an image of an earthlike planet with a gray moon near by.

I don’t know if this was meant to say that the crew may eventually visit our little blue planet or if it was just another subtle joke. For example, how many people noticed that they had someone in a Mother Teresa costume peddling the bellows next to Stan in 3.01 Fire and Water? I learned this, after figdress put that costume up for bid on ebay, explained what episode it was from. If you watch that ep over again, it’ll be quite obvious.

Anonymous

As far as not overanylizing the lexx tech stuff: there is no harm in arguing/discussing all of that unless anyone intends to build a lexx or something
    But I thought it was really cool to see all the tech talk stuff a few lines up. My hat goes off to those who researched that. Besides, if we aren’t arguing over/discussing/learing about all the underlying cool things about lexx, then what the hell are we doing here?

Anonymous

Ok here is my theory on how the Lexx’s weapon works. When those dome covers over the Lexx’s parabola are uncovered you can see two pronged antennas. I believe that these antenna’s draw in zero point energy from around it. The antennas that are now charged with this zero point energy. The front part of the Lexx is more or less like a magnet that draws in this charged energy to the front of it and then the magnetic hold is dropped and the energy is let go. Now its possible its a rearrangement of this magnetic energy hold that has caused the Lexx to now shoot rings of fire as opposed to a strait line. Maybe the holders are arranged in several rows and some of these holders have broken down after several thousand years leaving only a few arranged in the form of a ring.

-SM

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Slopmaster
    Ok here is my theory on how the Lexx’s weapon works. When those dome covers over the Lexx’s parabola are uncovered you can see two pronged antennas. I believe that these antenna’s draw in zero point energy from around it. The antennas that are now charged with this zero point energy. The front part of the Lexx is more or less like a magnet that draws in this charged energy to the front of it and then the magnetic hold is dropped and the energy is let go. Now its possible its a rearrangement of this magnetic energy hold that has caused the Lexx to now shoot rings of fire as opposed to a strait line. Maybe the holders are arranged in several rows and some of these holders have broken down after several thousand years leaving only a few arranged in the form of a ring.

I never thougth about zero point theory (zpt). It would make an excellent solution though. The theory says that there enough enrgy in a point or singularity of space to flash boil all water on earth serveral times over. We have no idea how to utilize zpt into anything useful, so the antennas could be how its colected. Usually 2 prong antennas are used to collect and transmit charge or create light waves; ok so its pretty much the same thing. Your theory saounds great, but in 4.10 we saw charged particles from the tail movign to the head of Lexx, these particles then condensed and blew up a few earther spacecraft.
    As for the ring of fire, I think its made into a ring for long range or precision attacks. But the Lexx is still growing so maybe the weapon is growing/changign with it. Also rememebr Lexx fired the wave of fire in s3, so it’s doubtful his weapon was warped over the thousand year sleep.

I may have come off as critical, this wasn’t intentional; I most certainly liked reading your thoughts on the weapon.

quote:

originally posted by Brunnis
    As far as not overanylizing the lexx tech stuff: there is no harm in arguing/discussing all of that unless anyone intends to build a lexx or something
    But I thought it was really cool to see all the tech talk stuff a few lines up. My hat goes off to those who researched that. Besides, if we aren’t arguing over/discussing/learing about all the underlying cool things about lexx, then what the hell are we doing here?

Thank-you.

Anonymous

sorry guys, i didn’t mean to step on any toes. please let me explain. i will fight for your right to post what you want too. my point was simply that there are some of us who don’t have extensive knowledge of physics and engineering. when you put in phrases such as, dielectric breakdown and arcing, and interacting anti-particles (probable tau or muon), it takes something away from my enjoyment of the posts. maybe an explanation would help or maybe supply a site that can explain in simple terms what you mean.
    please don’t stop discussing lexx or other scifi shows for that matter, just please understand that some of us don’t understand some of the terminology that is used.
    i hope i have made my viewpoint a little clearer. thank you for listening
    sincerely, mary beth.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Beth
    sorry guys, i didn’t mean to step on any toes. please let me explain. i will fight for your right to post what you want too. my point was simply that there are some of us who don’t have extensive knowledge of physics and engineering. when you put in phrases such as, dielectric breakdown and arcing, and interacting anti-particles (probable tau or muon), it takes something away from my enjoyment of the posts. maybe an explanation would help or maybe supply a site that can explain in simple terms what you mean.
    please don’t stop discussing lexx or other scifi shows for that matter, just please understand that some of us don’t understand some of the terminology that is used.
    i hope i have made my viewpoint a little clearer. thank you for listening
    sincerely, mary beth.

It’s okay, I didn’t take ay offense to your earlier post. I thought its was funny, that was prety muchthe same reaction I get from most of my friends and family when they ask what I did in school recently. Some make their eyes reall big and blink twice, another one stares into open space then bangs her head. For the most part they all just ask now, “how was your day?”
    If you want I can try to put up an english translation of my earlier post.

Anonymous

hehe thanks headgehog. and yes i would love to hear more! you can post it here, e-mail or buddy list if you like. i am always up for a good discussion or debate.

Headgehog
    Participant

I’m goignto try to put my earlier post into english, If there any parts that are still uncertain, just let me know.

Planets are big! To destory one would require a whole lot of energy. You may have heard that we have enough nuclear weapons to blow up the world a few times, this is false. In reality the energy from all our nukes still doesn’t match the energy in a hurricane.
    A particle accelerator takes very small pieces of matter, usually things smaller then atoms, or very small atoms, and speeds them up. Everythign has something called charge. Electrons are said to be negativly charged, protons are positively charged. Much like magnets, opposites attract, alikes repel. In a particle accelerator, an opposite charge is “placed in front” of the particle, and a like charge is behind it, this makes the particle move foward at a faster speed. This process is repeated a few trillion times uinitlt he particle is moving just under the speed of light.
    An anti particle is simular to a normal particles except all of its qualities are reversed. Charge and a few others that aren’t revelent to this topic. When a particle and an anti particle meet, they annihlate each other. Kinda like what happend when to rival gangs meet. When the two particles are destroyed, pure energy in the form of light is released.
    Taus and muons are hyped up versions of normal particles. Think of them as soilders on speed. There bigger, and faster, but they still have the same charge.
    Gravity works like this: the more mass you have in an area the more gravity you’ll have. If we destroy some of the planets mass, ther will be less gravity holding it together. Imagine trying to glue together two 4×4’s with a 2nd grader glue stick, then drive the two trucks away from each other. gravity is like the glue stick, more gravity would be like welding the trucks together.
    One last thing (I couldn’t figure out where to put this) whent he particels hit a planets its like a shot gun hitting a wall, except the shotgun keep shooting till the wall is less then swiss cheese.

hope this helps.

Anonymous

Thank you Hedgehog! I’ve been embarrassed to speak up and say, “Huh?” Great explanation, and very interesting. More!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.