lexx downunder – episode 1, season 4

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx lexx downunder – episode 1, season 4

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    bonnee
    Participant

hi

just watched the first episode of the new season, and was quite – encouraged. played more to the show’s weaknesses (stupidity) rather than its strengths (imagination). Still, it was good to see it back, especially Prince having a whale of a time. But is that Mantrid and his drones on their way to earth? and how does the season pan out? I’m expecting it to drag its heels in many places, if only because there are so many episodes and so few ideas (if season 2 and 3 are any indication).

Anonymous

Hi Bonnee.

In answer to your first question, no, those were not Mantrid drones. The next several episodes will give you a clearer idea of what they actually are, but if you want spoilers now, I believe Sadgeezer’s episode reviews will have adequate description.

As to how S4 stacks up? Well, like all seasons of Lexx, there are some very good episodes and a few clunkers, but if I were to compare it directly to the others, I would rate it a little behind S2, a little ahead of S3 and a bit more ahead of S1. Of course, others might have differing opinions.

Anonymous

I have a question, hopefully someone can answer it. I taped the episode and it only came in at approx 45 minutes. Last season they all came in around 48, I was just wondering are the episodes this season a bit shorter or was the episode we saw in Australia edited??? I’ll be ****ed off if it was edited, we have to wait up long enough to see it, plus it’s on a cable channel. Any help?

Anonymous

thanks for the response jason – much appreciated. i hope the season justifies or reason for watching it in the first place. my feeling is since hershfield has been marginilized as a writer, all the ‘strangness’ has been ironed out in favor of ‘silliness’. only, er, time will tell. and a another lexx fan downunder – female 2 good to see. most girls i know would turn their nose up at Lexx. if the episode was three minutes shorter, tara, it probably has too do with the fact these episodes were made for a different cable network (scifi) to fit in with their programming/ads.

Anonymous

Well there’s three females in this house that watch and love Lexx The second episode seemed the same length, so I don’t think we’re having the episodes edited. I’ll probably be able to tell after the next episode, I’ll know what to look out for for cuts

Anonymous

Wow Tara – that certainly surprises me. I always assummed that Lexx’s audience was almost predominantly male, and your household certainly throws that into question. I intend to write an article on Lexx once it completes its run, and will need to revise this assumption. If you don’t mind, can you please tell me if you’re an avid viewer of sci fi generally speaking, and what the average age of the females in your house might be? and since you have cable, I was wondering if you’ve ever managed to watch Earth: Final Conflict on fox 8 – talk about a show that has squandered its own promise, although it has remain interesting throughut its turbulent run (An American playwright in Sight and Sound recently put it alongside the Sopranos and Homicide: life on the Street, but he must be still watching the earlier episodes!)

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    Wow Tara – that certainly surprises me. I always assummed that Lexx’s audience was almost predominantly male,

Yea Lexx fandom is mostly female. About 2/3 to 80% female. As for ages, it’s more middle aged then the 18-25 crowd.

Anonymous

really hedgehog? how do you know this? not that i doubt you, but do you have a source? and why do think females gravitate towards it, if this is true?

Anonymous

I’m more interested in Sci Fi then general stuff, but I don’t watch everything Sci Fi. Like, I don’t watch Earth Final Conflict as you mentioned (I think at one stage I was going to, but by the time I remembered I would have come too late into the series, so I didn’t bother).

Average age of females in this house… erm well lets put it this way, one’s 34, I’m 18 and the other is only 12. We cover most age groups I was the one who got them watching however, and since then they’ve loved it.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I’m female, but I’m a biomechanical construct. (See picture below in signature.) Does that count?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Yea Lexx fandom is mostly female. About 2/3 to 80% female. As for ages, it’s more middle aged then the 18-25 crowd.

That’s surprising. I assumed it was mostly teenage males who were into Lexx. Then again, I’m unsure of the age of most of the people here and the sex of a few.

Anonymous

i remain unconvinced, but would luv to meet women who are into lexx I don’t know abot Tara, but I was very unimpressed with the first two episodes of the new season…gone more for the stupidity of it than the leftfield of it all. hope it gets better, cause I’m prepared to regard Lexx as a big fat waste of time, all said and done.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    i remain unconvinced, but would luv to meet women who are into lexx I don’t know abot Tara, but I was very unimpressed with the first two episodes of the new season…gone more for the stupidity of it than the leftfield of it all. hope it gets better, cause I’m prepared to regard Lexx as a big fat waste of time, all said and done.

Give it time, s4 gets better and better, though some eps aren’t too good *Stan Down and The Rock* AS for other women lexxians. Goto Uncon, oyu’ll meet about 100 of em! then there’s other groups fan groups which are almost exclusivly female. But just ask around to find out which ones would be best for you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I just got all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, and the pain killes are making me high and sleepy.

Anonymous

Well I’ll keep watching Lexx regardless, just cause I love the show that much. But so far I haven’t been terribly impressed with the first two episodes, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like them. The first episode was just too much explaining things that we already knew (like Stan asking Kai why he ‘shot’ the guy, well duh, I’m an assassin etc…). But I figured out afterwards it was probably due to the change of channels/management or whatever it was.

The second episode was okay, still seems like their setting up stuff, and I can live with that. I did love Xev in this one though, and Rooster, they cracked me up Xev just seemed like a kid in a candy store with all those men around

Anonymous

i hope you covered your sister’s eyes during the shower scene and carrot up the bum finale Tara well, the third episode was certainly better, if only because of the little boy tricking Prince, etc. otherwise, the inanity continues (how many times must they be rescued/seperated, or Prince chasing the key? is this a new season or a remake? Lexx seems to have reductive themes and reprised situations. It WAS a good episode, but the general lack of imagination, base (basic?) characters and repetiveness creates a very small universe/s in which to move. At least Firescape has some great writing to distinguish its lacklustre universe.

dgrequeen
    Participant

Hi, Bonnee, USA here. I’m sorry you’re disappointed in Lexx. I really like the show myself, if only because it’s so different from the bland, prudish dreck we usually get.

I am female, a bit older than the norm, which falls in the 18-49 range, with the biggest population in the middle. I think I read somewhere once that Paul Donovan estimated there was about a 60% ratio of females to males. Lexx, apparently, appeals to more than just teenaged boys. I think his figures are correct, if only because most of the Lexxians I talk to regularly online are female.

We’ve been told that Lexx is building toward a final climactic denouement which will tie all of the series together. True, it’s had some weak episodes, but it’s also had some very, very good ones (and this is true of every TV show). As good as the Beans are, it would be impossible to churn out excellence every single time.

Happy holidays, btw!

Anonymous

Well my sister hasn’t seen it yet, but she’s old enough to watch it when she does (mum usually waits till I have a whole tape full before she watches it, it’s on too late for her). I love this episode too. I love the young kid, I’m a bit sad to see him go so early.

Plus, I absolutly loved seeing Geoffrey Herod again, I love that guy. I didn’t know he was in the episode so it was a lovely surprise (he played the missionary man… yeah, like it was *real* painful having to be straped half naked above Xev ).

DalekTek790
    Participant

Season four’s much better than season three, but not at the level of the first two seasons. The overall ethos seems to have changed, and there has been one really off episode, but I wouldn’t say the new season is lousy.

Okay, I figured out that 59% of the major posters on the SadBoard (not just the Lexx forum) are female. The Donovan figure would seem fairly accurate.

I suppose a 12-year-old could be mature enough to handle Lexx. I know my parents wouldn’t have let me watch Lexx when I was 12. I wasn’t even allowed to watch Doctor Who when I was that age.

Anonymous

I continue to like Lexx, its just that I’ve become a little wary of it as well. the main problem is that there are just too many episodes to justify the slimsy premise – or that the writing isn’t up to the initial promise . its almost as if many of the episodes are interchangeable and that they seem to be making it up as they go along. the dynamic between the characters seems to be charactised by reset and replay. the one thing distinguishing it, of course, is its distinctiveness, and for that i remain grateful. i’m quite shocked about the amount of female viewers – anyone know why? i’ll need to point that out in my article, and offer possible reasons. finally, i hope fifi makes an appearance in season 4 – he just delights in his own wickedness.

Anonymous

Fifi does reappear, in the Xevivor episode, which is only two episodes away for us.

As for why female viewers seem to be more predominate… hmm well I don’t know, all I know is that I like the show, hence I watch it Shows don’t really strike me as being gender biased, despite if they are aimed at a certain gender. I’ll watch anything if I like it, whether it’s meant for males or females. I like action and fantasy just as much as the next person.

Anonymous

thanks Tara – how do you know about Jeff Pustil reappearing in the survivor takeoff? sounds like your not a casual viewer of television if you have/seek out advance knowledge. and if you don’t mind me asking – are you a humanities or science student? do you think your background makes an difference to the genre indiscrimination? getting really personal – does your previous remark about the good looking guy being strapped above xev indicate an attraction to either or both? do you think the show appeals to a bi audience – or women curious about their own sexuality and/or are necropheliacs?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    thanks Tara – how do you know about Jeff Pustil reappearing in the survivor takeoff? sounds like your not a casual viewer of television if you have/seek out advance knowledge.

Xevivor has aired in the U.S. Some lucky viewers in Britain (I think) have already seen up to 769.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I hope you don’t mind my jumping in here, bonnee, but I find your questions interesting.

how do you know about Jeff Pustil reappearing in the survivor takeoff?

We in the US have already seen S4 episodes up through Magic Baby.

and if you don’t mind me asking – are you a humanities or science student?

I count people from every background among the number with whom I chat. Many are computer techies, which is only normal since this is a computer medium after all, and most of those are female. I myself come from a personnel/humanities background (I know, odd combo), and still others are in retail or are housewives. A few have legal backgrounds. Real life functions seem to have little to do with an interest in Lexx.

do you think your background makes an difference to the genre indiscrimination?

No.

As to the sexuality/necrophilia question, most of the women with whom I talk refuse to accept Kai’s deadness as definitive, so I don’t think necrophilia really enters into it. The point is, he’s a very sexy, good-looking man, we all know the difference between the actor and the character, and he is competently performing his job as entertainer, as we are performing ours as spectators. I will say, however, that one reason everyone is shocked by the preponderance of females to males is that females have always been underestimated, and this is just another example. Kai is NOT the only reason to watch Lexx.

Certainly a lot of the humor and innuendo is directed squarely at the gay/bi audience. The Beans wasted no opportunity to mine every corner of society for ratings. That’s show biz, folks.

Anonymous

thanks for the responses: Tara and I are from downunder – hence the question concerning the Survivor takeoff; neither of us have seen the pustil episode yet. As for the responses regarding the show’s appeal – I remain shocked and confused

Anonymous

*Sobs quietly*

At least you *sob* are getting eps. *sob* that you haven’t seen *sob*

Oh yes, in answer to the age thing, I started watching Lexx at 17 and I’m 18 now.

S4, well, it’s different than the rest. That’s what I like about Lexx, no two seasons are the same. But S4 is a lot like S2 humor wise.

Anonymous

how do you know about Jeff Pustil reappearing in the survivor takeoff? sounds like your not a casual viewer of television if you have/seek out advance knowledge.

Yep, I seek out knowledge. I’m not a casual viewer of any TV shows, I either really like them or I don’t watch at all. Hence, I only watch about 5 shows total. (hmm, that would be Lexx, Buffy, Angel, Xena… that’s about it. If you count a show we don’t get here though, The Tribe, then that would make five. I get tapes of it from overseas…. well there you can see the genre I like to watch ). So anyway, yep I read about episodes in advance, cause I like to know what happens when it happens.

if you don’t mind me asking – are you a humanities or science student? do you think your background makes an difference to the genre indiscrimination?

Well I’m starting Uni next year, so I will be (Bachelor of Arts/Education doing mainly history and Japanese.. the science doesn’t really bother me, but I was good at it if that counts). Does my background make a difference, well, I don’t see why it does….

getting really personal – does your previous remark about the good looking guy being strapped above xev indicate an attraction to either or both?

My remark was aimed at the guy, ie yeah like it was hard for him (being a guy) to be strapped above a good looking love slave… I’m attracted to him (hence my glad to see him again comment), but I do think Xev/Xenia is pretty, I mean what human doesn’t?

do you think the show appeals to a bi audience – or women curious about their own sexuality and/or are necropheliacs?

Hmm, probably. When I first saw the ads for it ages ago, I thought oh geez, here’s a show for the fella’s full of sex…. of course since I’ve watched it sex has only happened a few times, even though it’s talked about a fair bit. But as for bi/gay people being attracted to it, well I haven’t a clue. It’s mainly only straight people that I know who watch it, but I see no reason why they wouldn’t find appeal in the show as well (Xev for the girls, Kai for the fella’s, and just the opposite for straight people).

Well, I’ve gone and confused myself with all this typing and answering, so if I’ve confused you with some bits just let me know and I’ll try answer in something that resembles logic

Anonymous

you made some sort of sense, sometimes Tara Seriously, thanks for the considered response and willingness to elaborate further. You actually sound more mature and intelligent than most eighteen year olds I know – which begs the question: so why do you watch Lexx? just joking of course. Like you, I’m a student (philosophy) not quite able to pinpoint their enthusiasm for the show – apart from Zev’s breasts, of course. the show’s appeal defies anything ‘resembling logic’. I won’t trouble you anymore with questions, but I might post a version of my article to gauge general responses (that includes responses from anyone else kind enough to respond to my post). Otherwise, got luck with your first year/s at University.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I can only speak as a typical teenage American male of standard sexuality, but I think Lexx is appealing because it is an imaginative space adventure series, like Star Trek: The Next Generation or Doctor Who. I starting watching Lexx when I was 16, and I am 18 now.

I don’t think the makers would bother taking such a small part of the general populus into consideration.

bonnee
    Participant

Sorry – this is a test post, please ignore.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.