Lexx DVD V4 review

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Aleck…once you again you and your people have done a great job. I can’t wait to see whats next. Especially for the the third and fourth seasons.

Well anyway aside from haveing uncut versions I love the special features. The interview with 790 was kind of cool. Oh yeah and finally seeing Squeeze’s demise was sad but expected. So like I said…good work guys.

-SM

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Slopmaster:
    Aleck…once you again you and your people have done a great job. I can’t wait to see whats next. Especially for the the third and fourth seasons.

Thanks for the feedback, Slop, and I’m just glad that you like them. And thanks to everyone who has given me any kind of feedback about the vids, and those who have helped out by plugging away and asking for them at your local stores. You guys are the greatest, and don’t think that I don’t appreciate everything. This board has been the most supportive and most helpful when it comes to this, and that’s why I’m proud to have put a link to Sad’s site on the second disc. If someone watching the disc finds his or her way here, and finds out that not *all* LEXX boards are hotbeds of trolling activities, and sees what a LEXX board *should* be like, then I’m happy.
    The last disc of Season 2 is due out in just a few months, and I hope that it meets everyone’s satisfaction, and hope that you guys enjoy the discs for Seasons 3 & 4.

…Oh, did I say *4*? Sorry, that must have been a slip of the tongue. You didn’t hear it from me.

–Aleck

Anonymous

I havent seen any of the interviews or bonus stuff, but the menus look nicer. I like the moth transitions, or whatever its called. I cant wait to watch it as 3 of the episodes ive never seen.

Glad to see it was available through 800.com. I buy most of my DVDs though them since i live in Seattle, and they are based in Portland.

PS
    Whats the ETA on the 5th (final?) DVD for the 2nd season. Janurary 2002?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Slopmaster:
    Aleck…once you again you and your people have done a great job.
    -SM

What people? Aleck slaves away all day by his lonesome doing the actual work on the DVD, not to discredit his supervisor or whatever, but Aleck is the muscle of the operation, probably the only time Aleck will ever see himself reffered to as that

And Aleck doesn’t just make LEXX DVDs.. he slaves away on other quality programming too why just see for your self:
    http://acornonline.com/%5B/url%5D

Anonymous

Originally posted by X:What people? Aleck slaves away all day by his lonesome doing the actual work on the DVD, not to discredit his supervisor or whatever, but Aleck is the muscle of the operation, probably the only time Aleck will ever see himself reffered to as that

———————————————
    Hehe I can just imagine Aleck stuck in a room for twelve hours a day growing ever closer to a heart attack because he is makeing the DVD’s all by him self with no support staff. Thanks for working like one of Kathy Lee’s child labors for us Aleck.

-SM

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Evil_Lister:
    I havent seen any of the interviews or bonus stuff, but the menus look nicer. I like the moth transitions, or whatever its called. I cant wait to watch it as 3 of the episodes ive never seen.

Yeah, I was well pleased with the menus this time myself. The last one was a bit more streamlined, but less interesting, and the next one is (IMHO) better than this one. The menu design stuff is all done by Andrew at Salter Street Digital, so kudos on that should go to him.

Whats the ETA on the 5th (final?) DVD for the 2nd season. Janurary 2002?

The final Season 2 DVD will be out January 29. The first DVD of Season 3 will follow on March 26, and there will be a new LEXX DVD on the last Tuesday of every other month.

Hope you like the new eps!

–Aleck

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: Aleck ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by X:
    What people? Aleck slaves away all day by his lonesome doing the actual work on the DVD, not to discredit his supervisor or whatever, but Aleck is the muscle of the operation, probably the only time Aleck will ever see himself reffered to as that

Oh, I’m not *that* isolated in my toil. There *are* other people in the office over here, and they all pretty much have a hand in things, from editing copy, to getting artwork together for the packaging and promotional materials, etc. It’s a small organization, but I’m not strapped to an editing suite all day and night. Although it seems like it sometimes.

quote:

And Aleck doesn’t just make LEXX DVDs.. he slaves away on other quality programming too why just see for your self:
    http://acornonline.com/%5B/url%5D

Thanks! Not many people recognize that LEXX is only one of the things I have to work on (right now, I’m also wrapping up an upcoming Nicholas Nickleby adaptation, working on another Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot mystery, getting initial screens in for a British mini-series called Sex, Chips & Rock n’ Roll, and writing an in-depth piece on Hammer Films and the Hammer House of Horror box set for our website ON TOP OF seeing final tests for the last LEXX S2 disc and doing initial prep work for the first S3 one). And next year is going to be even more hectic. Whoo!

–Aleck

Anonymous

Welp!

You’ve sold me Aleck. I’m definately getting a DVD player and if your collegues are half as talented (as the work reported here done on the LEXX DVD’s – and yer cool posts on SadBOARD) as you, then me and katie will be buying not only the LEXX DVD’s, but other acorn DVD stuff.

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Welp!

You’ve sold me Aleck. I’m definately getting a DVD player and if your collegues are half as talented (as the work reported here done on the LEXX DVD’s – and yer cool posts on SadBOARD) as you, then me and katie will be buying not only the LEXX DVD’s, but other acorn DVD stuff.

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

…Awww, yer gonna make me blush, Saddy.

Keep in mind, though, that while the DVDs that Acorn puts out (our site also features a bunch of DVDs put out by other companies that fit in with the majority of the products we make ourselves) are non-region encoded (Region 0 in non-technical terms), they *do* output an NTSC signal. Which means that they’ll *play*, but you won’t be able to *see* them unless you have a TV that can read both PAL and NTSC signals, or a DVD player that can convert the signal before it’s output.
    What you might want to be looking at is a multi-region DVD player, which they make in a number of models and at different prices, from ridiculously cheap to outrageously expensive. Do some research into which models are available to you, and which ones are best for the price (some of the lower-end and previous models, like the earlier Apex players, have picture-sound sync problems). Not just so you can buy the fine products that we here at Acorn are proud to deliver , but so you can check out some of the cool stuff only available in other regions (and which are uncut). This is the route I wish I’d taken, as there are a number of Hong Kong, UK and French releases that I’d love to get my mitts on, but can’t watch.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

…Awww, yer gonna make me blush, Saddy.

Keep in mind, though, that while the DVDs that Acorn puts out (our site also features a bunch of DVDs put out by other companies that fit in with the majority of the products we make ourselves) are non-region encoded (Region 0 in non-technical terms), they *do* output an NTSC signal. Which means that they’ll *play*, but you won’t be able to *see* them unless you have a TV that can read both PAL and NTSC signals, or a DVD player that can convert the signal before it’s output.

–Aleck

Ooh thanX, Aleck!! was not aware of that. I must endeavor to get a multi-regional player then

Can you believe they still haven’t released Doctor Who DVDs over here yet? Not to mention there aren’t any Red Dwarf DVDs at all unless you count that totally unrelated French movie The Red Dwarf

Quite frankly I’m surprised you don’t have a DVD player already, Saddy

Simply a must for SciFi fans. They even have Aeon FluX on DVD, Sad!!! I know you’d love that

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by X:
    Can you believe they still haven’t released Doctor Who DVDs over here yet? Not to mention there aren’t any Red Dwarf DVDs at all unless you count that totally unrelated French movie The Red Dwarf

They *have* released some Dr. Who eps on DVD! “The Five Doctors,” “The Robots of Death” and “Spearhead From Space.” Just came out last month, in fact! Get your bad self down to your local shopping plaza and pick ’em up, bro!

quote:

Quite frankly I’m surprised you don’t have a DVD player already, Saddy

Simply a must for SciFi fans. They even have Aeon FluX on DVD, Sad!!! I know you’d love that

Amen. DVD is a godsend for all genre fans. Tons of previously hard-to-find stuff is seeping through the cracks and getting placement in local retail stores. I’d never think that I could own so many Mario Bava or Dario Argento flicks without resorting to tenth-generation dupes of lousy bootleg film transfers.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

DVD is a godsend for all genre fans. Tons of previously hard-to-find stuff is seeping through the cracks and getting placement in local retail stores.
    –Aleck

Yeah your right about DVD raising the dead when it comes to old movies and TV shows. I still however like X would like to see “Red Dwarf” on DVD and not the stupid movie. I my self would love to see “War of the worlds” the series on DVD.

-SM

Anonymous

quote:

They *have* released some Dr. Who eps on DVD! “The Five Doctors,” “The Robots of Death” and “Spearhead From Space.” Just came out last month, in fact! Get your bad self down to your local shopping plaza and pick ’em up, bro!
    –Aleck

Cool thanX!!! I am so out of the loop when I’m unemployed.

Still that Richard Hurndall guy is was no William Hartnell

Anonymous

Aleck:
    If you’re looking for HK stuff, let me know,
    it’s pretty much all I watch besides Lexx
    dvds, I have tons, and have access to tons,
    and lots of links for you to try. BTW, almost
    all HK dvds are non-region coded and ntsc
    format, and will play on Japanese, US and
    Canadian players with no problems. The UK
    dvd players have a pal signal, but some of
    the Toshibas and Panasonics convert them
    for the tv.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by mayaxiong:
    Aleck:
    If you’re looking for HK stuff, let me know,
    it’s pretty much all I watch besides Lexx
    dvds, I have tons, and have access to tons,
    and lots of links for you to try. BTW, almost
    all HK dvds are non-region coded and ntsc
    format, and will play on Japanese, US and
    Canadian players with no problems. The UK
    dvd players have a pal signal, but some of
    the Toshibas and Panasonics convert them
    for the tv.

Cool. I appreciate it. If you have links, send ’em to my email in my profile, or IM me. I still need to get a new DVD player. I have one of the earlier low-end Toshiba models, and there are *horrible* compatibility problems with the Toshibas. I still don’t know how to go with multi-standard players. The Malata is supposed to be top-notch, but the multi-standards seem to be unpredictable when it comes to compatibility issues, so I’m skittish. I’ll probably end up just sticking with R1 players for the time being, until I can afford to have a couple players hanging about the place. Mine won’t play VCDs either, so there are a number of really interesting Asian discs that I’m losing out on owning.
    What I *really* want, though, is an import of the Japanese film The Ring with English subs. The only version I can find lacks any subtitles at all, even though the sequel features them. Odd. It’s supposed to be re-made in the US, directed by Gore Verbinski, which is going to suck horribly, but at least it might allow for a decent domestic release of the Japanese original.

–Aleck

Anonymous

HK?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by X:
    HK?

Hong Kong Cinema.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Aleck, I have a copy of The Ring on vcd,
    and it has English subs. There are more than
    one studio in Japan putting out this series,
    therefore the subs are on some and not others. The dvd of the second Ring movie do
    indeed have subs, but I have one coming in
    with Region 1 coding thru an HK distributor
    so I can play it here. The DVD player of my
    choice is the new Apex 5131, it plays all
    the following: Dvd, vcd, cd, mpeg, and CDR
    burned cds and cdrs…for the scorchingly
    low price of $179. No probs with the synch-
    sound on this one either. It also converts
    pal to ntsc for the tv, and right now they’re
    coming up with the software (downloadable from the website) for the region code eliminations. So I could play the UK dvds
    of Lexx that have the different extra goodies, plus the new Acorn ones, and the Japanese imports (region 2) and all the HK
    non region coded marterial…Whew!..pant…
    I’ll get a list together of sites for you.
    You can email me offlist for specific titles
    you’re looking for..I currently have about 15
    I’m getting ready to slam onto Ebay…I’ll
    give you first dibs if you want them.
    maya x

verti
    Participant

The DVDs look great, Aleck! You and your people do wonderful work! Looking forward to V5!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.