LEXX Episode 4-11 posted.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx LEXX Episode 4-11 posted.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The ‘A Midsummers Nightmare‘ episode review has been posted in the LEXX Treks section

I guess it’s my least favourite so far erm… although I haven’t reviewed the following two episodes which I think were even worse!

I hope the show gets better towards the end of the season.

” TARGET=_blank>/lexx/lexx4-11.htm

[ 21-01-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

theFrey
    Participant

So ummmmm, you liked it right?

Hehe. My is someone a big grumpy when their Lexx does not deliver.

I must make a note to add a few mood modifiers to my next package. Now, …what did I do with that spring loaded baseball bat assembly?

Anonymous

Hehe.

To be honest, I can simply throw an empty beer can at the TV screen when I’m miffed and then all seems ok again

My only defence is that I have special permission from Paul Donovan to write very bad stuff about LEXX if I think it is warranted.

such a feeling of p…o…w…e…r.

Oh yeah. The silly error in the first paragraph… {I’ve been better entertained at armature dramatics events.} has now been changed (but I can’t for the life of me think why).

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Hehe….Oh yeah. The silly error in the first paragraph… {I’ve been better entertained at armature dramatics events.} has now been changed (but I can’t for the life of me think why).

What you don’t like armature dramatics?

I have always been entralled by a well wound event, with a core of iron to hold my attention like a magnet. It just makes me want to spin in delight! But I could be strange.

theFrey
    Participant

In fact, those events can be electrifying!

Bascule
    Participant

I reckon this is the first time I’ve disagreed with you, Sad; generally your reviews have been gospel to me, but I think you were a little unfair in this case. I thought this episode was hilarious to begin with…true, it had tailed off badly towards the end. Maybe it’s because you’re less, er, gay as well. Might have tainted your opinion. I certainly don’t think that this was the worst ep so far – that honour falls squarely in the lap of Xevivor. AND: how can you not find McManus funny when he’s doing ‘Happy Kai’? That always cracks me up! Admittedly it was exactly the same performance as in ‘Twilight’ but it was still hilarious.(not to mention the look he gave Stan when asked who the puppet was supposed to be)

Anyway, my main gripe is that you seem to think they got the main concept wrong; in your review you say:

Oberon is from Shakespeare’s play “A Mid-Summer Night’s Dream”. He is the king of a race of elves.

Urm. I hate to correct you, but that’s not quite true. Oberon was indeed in Midsummer Night’s Dream, but Shakespeare didn’t invent him, and neither is he supposed to me from a race of elves. Oberon really is the King of the Fairies; this is an ancient legend in Europe. And as far as the technicalities in the episode went they got most of it right; Fairies are immortal, magical beings identical in appearance to humans (only much later was all that 6-inch-high with wings nonsense added). Though they live forever they have difficulty reproducing, and when they do conceive their babies usually die quite soon; this was why they always doing that ‘changeling’ thing, where they exchanged human babies for theirs. Fairies are indeed very powerful; the reason they didn’t take over the world is due to their strange demeanour; they are incredibly vague and dreamlike, and take little interest in most affairs of man( where Tolkien got all the ideas for his elves I’m sure you’ll agree). Plus of course they have their own realm, as was shown on Lexx. People who have ‘been’ there have claimed that it is our afterlife, or that our world is merely the scientific, focused tip of something much bigger that we cannot perceive (I once read that Earth would be likened to an island in the middle of a vast ocean, or just the part of an iceberg showing above water), or that they simply have a bog-standard magic realm of their own (this was the one Lexx plumped for unfortunately). So as you can see they were quite accurate; obviously they added the rather clumsy pun that fairies are actually fairies. And these fairies weren’t all that nasty either; the Medieval ones were – people were absolutely terrified of them, and we still have many customs now relating to the fears people had back then.

Anyhoo, just thought that needed sayin’. I’m glad you also think that the quality of this series isn’t just down to the new writers; somebody (sorry, can’t remember who) summed it up perfectly here earlier, saying that the quality was mostly the same, it’s the budget that’s gone down, leaving us with some rather uninspiring visuals. Besides, I can’t wait for ‘Lyekka vs. Japan’ and ‘Apocalexx Now’. They can’t fail with promising titles like that!

P.s. that dwarf feller played Jack Large in Blackadder many years ago!

Anonymous

Re-Oberon, I bow to your superior knowledge Bascule. (I must admit I’m not a big Shakespeare fan (too wordy for me ) and your comments explain quite a lot.

The Sandmad comics have one or two stories concerning fairies and elves and these renditions are an awful lot more realistic than the LEXX versions.

The Sandman examples are far more interesting (and sinister) and have a reputation of being depictions based on legends and old stories from around the world.

Nevertheless, the show was certainly not one of my fave’s and I was quite saddened after watching it.

Thanks for your comments though, they are very much appreciated and provide an excellent and informative balance for LEXX fans who did or didn’t like the episode.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    The Sandmad comics have one or two stories concerning fairies and elves and these renditions are an awful lot more realistic than the LEXX versions.

The Sandman examples are far more interesting (and sinister) and have a reputation of being depictions based on legends and old stories from around the world.

Haven’t seen the ep yet (tonight!), but this reminded me: For those interested in the play, faerie legend, and Neil Gaiman’s tremendous work in the comic series Sandman (which I believe is among the best written work produced in the latter half of the 20th century), check out Sandman #19, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” which is collected in the trade paperback collection Sandman: Dream Country. IMHO, it’s practically perfect in every way.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Personally, I was expecting something much worse…I thought it was an ok episode, not the best, but not too bad. Plus, Xenia looked stunning throughout….See? Every cloud does have a silver lining…

[ 25-01-2002: Message edited by: Mercury ]

Anonymous

Well I definetly thought it was fairly poor myself. Without ANY doubt the worst of the season so far….this felt like a filler. Too much dialogue between Oberon, Puck and Titania and not enough with the Lexx crew. It COULD have been worse, but currently ranks at No.47 out of the 48 Lexx episodes so far (only ahead of “White trash”).

Flamegrape
    Participant

I just don’t understand you people sometimes! I thought the show was brilliant in the manner I expect Lexx to be! Once again, Lexx has proved to be consistent. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this episode.

I have not read your review, Sad, but I’m afraid that I can’t bear to read it. But judging from what you’ve said in this and other threads, I believe you are being far too critical. Also, I believe that you are falling victim to something I commonly see in fandom: too-high expectations.

I’d like to get into this further, but I want to giggle at 4.11 Midsummer’s Nightmare some more! I invite others to speak up now and tell us all what you liked about the episode.

For starters, does anyone recognize this album from 1977?

ROFL! Oh, beautiful!

Anonymous

How could anyone not like A Midsummers Nightmare? I LOVED it. Mr. Salinqmind also, it was hilarious! That’s what I always liked about the series, it is so unpredictable and …well, weird! The singing trees go way back in many mythologies – Tolkien’s ents, The Wizard of Oz cross apple trees, the talking tree in Pocahantos are only three examples. The dialogue near the end between Oberon and his blushing bride, Stanley Tweedle? Stan, all macho, says he “goes in the front door or not at all” and Oberson’s pointed glance and saying he’s partial to the “back entrance”? How could you not laugh??? The fields of flowers put me in mind also of the Wizard of Oz’ field of poppies, and Oberon’s castle the Emerald City. I loved this episode, I liked the outrageousness of “Big Mick” playing Titania simply because all you panting guys out there were expecting some half clad bimbo to take the role. And finally…(audience bursts into applause), I treasure every episode of Lexx because it is
    nearing the end. From now on we’ll be saddled with the usual shows featuring mad scientists, busty babes in leather pants carrying space weapons, square jawed space jockeys out kicking ass in the universe against the rubber-faced tentacle people, and enough hardware, CGI aliens, and shots of whirling galaxies to last until the last TV transmission ever to be broadcast. There’s nothing wrong with those things, I love a lot of sci-fi shows, but Lexx is so unique. I’ll miss it!!!

Anonymous

Animals

Who needs drugs when you have Pink Floyd. I remember seeing Pink Ployd somewhere in one of the special features on the Lexx DVD. The beans must be fans. Pigs on the wing seems to fit with Lexx

For starters, does anyone recognize this album from 1977?
    ROFL! Oh, beautiful!
    [/QB][/QUOTE]

Anonymous

Having watched it a few times since last night, I really liked this ep. It was a unique episode in Lexx terms. Dont think we’ve ever had a baddy like Oberon which makes all before him impotent. Pun intended.

Just my opinion;

Good:
    1) Nook Music!!! Ive missed it
    2) Making light of how many “ancient” organizations have turned into cliche’s
    3) Stans affection for Xev in less of a sexual way.
    4) Kai is finally becoming more distant again. Many episodes this season have shown Kai to be more protective of the Lexx crew than ever before imo. In Magic Baby even Vlad mentioned it which made me wonder if they werent setting up something along the line of Kai really does care.
    5) The 4 Stanleys. One of the best scenes in Lexx and Brians imitation of the other crew was brilliant. Had me convinced.
    6) All the humor: Kai’s weapon turning into a parakeet(?) was pretty funny as was Stans line:
    “Stanley H. Tweedle goes in the front door or he doesent come to the party!”

Coulda fooled me, I think hes had more sex with men than women in the 4 series.

Bad:
    1) Was it just me or was there WAY too many commercials?
    2) The Tree scenes were a bit excessive.

The episode just had so much to absorb, so many possible homages this episode. Even the midget in the bag on the wheelbarrow getting knocked over the head reminded me a bit of Monty Python. If I was a bean and Im sure not I probably woulda axed some of those tree scenes in lieu of an honest conversation between one of the crew and Oberon. Maybe to explain the staff “Holly” or get a little more in depth to the ancients of the Earth.

Also maybe someone can answer this. Was this prophecy just for this 1500 years or 1500 years ago was there another Red Fool, Dead One, Dark Man? Having a predetermained family playing those roles was hilarious tribute to just how far rituals have been *******ized in this day and age.

Originally I thought that Puck was the old Red Fool, the Dark Man in the forest with the rest since they call themselves Dark Men during the first songs, and the Dead One being the shorty in the bag. But on my 2nd time watching I noticed they claimed Puck was a Faerie and his “wife” just someone he chose while “drunk” hehe 1500 years ago.

Anonymous

Sorry for the extra post.

Not to start an arguement but it was quite clearly the Oberon; Puck and Titania of Shakespeare, the name of the episode too… I doubt seriously that the Beans have ever read anything having to do with the Oberon of Norse and English/Celtic/Druidic mythology since most are lost or have been changed so much over time. But its true that Oberon was originally part of ancient texts, in fact so famous that many including the Norse considered him to be the King of all the English in a few of their tales.

At least someone knows their obscure mythology though of which Im a big fan, cheers! It’s also the name of a moon, forget if its Saturn or Jupiter’s

PPS: Pre-emptive posting: If you’ve seen the movie “Apocolypse Now” and havent already please read “Heart of Darkness” by Conrad. Its far superior to Apocolypse Now and is the entire basis of that story. You’ll enjoy it I promise. Its one of the greatest stories ever, and coming from someone who cant stand Conrads morbid tales(did he ever write a pleasent story???) thats saying something.

[ 27-01-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

FX
    Participant

okay, i am going to throw in with you guys, (partly because i cannot understand the discussion between aleck and bonnee in the other thread,) and say i enjoyed mnm a lot… for me it was like brigadoom; i hate musicals, went in expecting the worst, and found myself giggling and really paying attention…and i like the sophomoric humor, and the gay jokes, and the bickering married couple…i also love kai flitting and stan swishing; those two swish better than most of the gay sendups i have seen…it may be simpleminded, but it’s fun and completely out of character for them…and i also particularly like the mocking of the druids/wiccans/name your favorite neopagan cult wannabes…hell, it looks a lot like a scifi fan convention
    and saddy and newkate, i am sorry to disagree, but i giggled a lot at bad carrot too! it’s a great parody of every ‘cops’episode or film fbi raid ever done, and the proctological exam scene was hilarious…so yeah, the soundtrack was a bit much, but prince, kai, and stan’s humiliation was definitely fun, and unexpected (kai and prince are supposed to be invincible and immortal, remember)…and yes, i like season 4, except for xevivor…

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    At least someone knows their obscure mythology though of which Im a big fan, cheers! It’s also the name of a moon, forget if its Saturn or Jupiter’s

Titania and Oberon are the fourth and fifth (respectively) major satellites of the planet Uranus.

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    PPS: Pre-emptive posting: If you’ve seen the movie “Apocolypse Now” and havent already please read “Heart of Darkness” by Conrad. Its far superior to Apocolypse Now and is the entire basis of that story. You’ll enjoy it I promise. Its one of the greatest stories ever, and coming from someone who cant stand Conrads morbid tales(did he ever write a pleasent story???) thats saying something.

The recent release of Apocalypse Now Redux presents a movie that is different than the original version that came out in the 1970s. I recommend that people see the Redux version before seeing the upcoming episode, 4.20 Apocalexx Now. (“Charlie don’t surf!”)

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    okay, i am going to throw in with you guys, (partly because i cannot understand the discussion between aleck and bonnee in the other thread,) and say i enjoyed mnm a lot… for me it was like brigadoom; i hate musicals, went in expecting the worst, and found myself giggling and really paying attention…and i like the sophomoric humor, and the gay jokes, and the bickering married couple…i also love kai flitting and stan swishing; those two swish better than most of the gay sendups i have seen…it may be simpleminded, but it’s fun and completely out of character for them…and i also particularly like the mocking of the druids/wiccans/name your favorite neopagan cult wannabes…hell, it looks a lot like a scifi fan convention

Bingo! On the nose! Bullseye! Ditto! (sic, et al, ad nauseum)

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    and saddy and newkate, i am sorry to disagree, but i giggled a lot at bad carrot too! it’s a great parody of every ‘cops’episode or film fbi raid ever done, and the proctological exam scene was hilarious…so yeah, the soundtrack was a bit much, but prince, kai, and stan’s humiliation was definitely fun, and unexpected (kai and prince are supposed to be invincible and immortal, remember)…and yes, i like season 4, except for xevivor…

ACK! SPOILERS! Bad FX!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

ACK! SPOILERS! Bad FX!

oops! (fx hangs head and kicks at gravel) sorry fg, forgot who has and hasn’t seen it by now,forgive me….

Anonymous

I have to say that the majority of Season Four has been disappointing for me(I was introduced to Lexx during the more serious Season 3), but I found 4.11 hilarious and throughly entertaining.
    And anyone who thinks otherwise can shove it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.