Lexx Marathon Downunder

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Lexx Marathon Downunder

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bonnee
    Participant

TV 1 is screening all 41 episodes of Lexx, beginning April 17 – 18 and 25-27. Naturally the marathon begins late at night and early into the morning (12 am onwards).

Watch it from the begining as it found its way, marvel at season 2 as it came into its own, be astounded at season 3 where it bathed in its own glory and/or poetically turned up the heat…and then turn off for most of season 4, where it disappeared up its own narrative arc.

Good to see the Foxtel guide promoting it too, right alongside the Seinfeld marathon (which precedes it).

Flamegrape
    Participant
    bonnee wrote:

…and then turn off for most of season 4, where it disappeared up its own narrative arc.

That’s your opinion. And ever since the final episode aired, I have seen few people on the bulletin boards post complaints about the quality of the fourth season. So far, it’s only been you and one or two other people.

To anyone living in Australia, I recommend watching the entire run of all four seasons. In my opinion, the fourth season was brilliant. Most of the fans of Lexx seemed to really enjoy it. The ending was superb and leaves the story wide open for continuation.

Enjoy.

bonnee
    Participant

I agree with Flamegrape – everyone really should watch all four seasons, if only so they can agree with me. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜›

Flamegrape
    Participant
    bonnee wrote:

I agree with Flamegrape – everyone really should watch all four seasons, if only so they can agree with me. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜›

aut disce aut discede

bonnee
    Participant
    Flamegrape wrote:

aut disce aut discede

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis

Flamegrape
    Participant
    bonnee wrote:

Flamegrape wrote:

aut disce aut discede

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis[/quote]

qualem blennum

bonnee
    Participant
    Flamegrape wrote:

qualem blennum

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari

Flamegrape
    Participant

theFrey
    Participant

Well then you need to make that three Flame, I was not enthralled with Season 4. It had several wonderful jewels in it, but overall, I felt let down from Season 3.

Now, as a public service announcement I will translate (for the first and only time) the preceding exchange for those who do not have to keep an eye on the board and therefore ignored the preceding. Please guys, this is a waste of thread and a unnecessary drain on my time. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had considered a quick edit replacing the Latin with ‘This was something the moderator had not the time or inclination to look up’ and ‘Yet again something I did not feel like looking up’ But I decided not to do that… this time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyhow, what they have been saying is….

Aut disce aut discede (either learn or leave)

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis. (I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream)

Qualem blennum! (What a doofus!)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? (How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?)

Occidit miseros crambe repetita magistros. (Repeatedly reheated cabbage will kill the poor teachers – or – that cabbage hashed up again and again proves the death of the wretched teachers.)

Most of this stuff was from this web site http://www.biopsych.net/latin_phrases_for_all_occasions.htm

Anyhow…. please let us not do this again, locking and editing threads is just as fatiguing as looking up translations. Besides… Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis. (You do not know the power of the dark side of a moderator.) Oh, all right, I added the moderator part…. but… but… lol!

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Australian Lexxians,
    I’d suggest watching all of it, you’ll enjoy the show; I enjoyed the whole show, especially season 3 & 4.
    My favourite of season 2 is `Wake the Dead, End of the Universe’; my favourites from season 3 are: `Fire & Water, Girltown, K-Town, Heaven & Earth & couple of others I can’t think of right now’; my favorites from sean 4 are: `The Trip, Yo Way Yo, among others’.
    I hope you enjoy the marathon & have fun watching them.
    Take care & have a great end of March.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

bonnee
    Participant
    theFrey wrote:

Well then you need to make that three Flame, I was not enthralled with Season 4. It had several wonderful jewels in it, but overall, I felt let down from Season 3.

You too, thefrey? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s all greek to me…

theFrey wrote:

Now, as a public service announcement I will translate (for the first and only time) the preceding exchange for those who do not have to keep an eye on the board and therefore ignored the preceding. Please guys, this is a waste of thread and a unnecessary drain on my time. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had considered a quick edit replacing the Latin with ‘This was something the moderator had not the time or inclination to look up’ and ‘Yet again something I did not feel like looking up’ But I decided not to do that… this time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyhow, what they have been saying is….

Aut disce aut discede (either learn or leave)

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis. (I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream)

Qualem blennum! (What a doofus!)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? (How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?)

Occidit miseros crambe repetita magistros. (Repeatedly reheated cabbage will kill the poor teachers – or – that cabbage hashed up again and again proves the death of the wretched teachers.)

Most of this stuff was from this web site http://www.biopsych.net/latin_phrases_for_all_occasions.htm

Anyhow…. please let us not do this again, locking and editing threads is just as fatiguing as looking up translations. Besides… Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis. (You do not know the power of the dark side of a moderator.) Oh, all right, I added the moderator part…. but… but… lol!

From the site theFrey linked to http://www.biopsych.net/latin_phrases_for_all_occasions.htm :

Impress your friends and relatives, talk to them in Latin. Remember: “quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur” (anything said in Latin sounds profound).

LOL!! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€ I beg your indulgence, but let’s give this a try: Vaselinus lubricantus (which loosely translated means “Give my regards to your donkey”). How true, it does sound profound! ๐Ÿ˜‰ (all right, I made that phrase and its definition up) And la bamba means…

Thanks for translating, the Frey! It was actually a very funny exchange, but I can understand your concerns — not all of us will want to spend the time looking up the expressions, and if you don’t, then they could conceivably come across as rather irritating spammy nonsense rather than, when translated, funny nonsense.

What about common Latin expressions which have made their way into our LEXXicon such as veni vidi vici, et tu Brute, and the ones one uses in discussing, for instance, faulty reasoning (logical fallacies) in arguments such as non-sequitur, sine qua non, ad hoc, post hoc, ad populum, a priori etc. I suppose the general rule of thumb should be, if you think people may have difficulty understanding the words then you should translate them for everyone’s benefit, and one should never use Latin to aid an ad hominem (attack on the man). ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜›

Actually, about the only Latin I really know is la bamba, and livin la vida loca! ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway, back to LEXX, I wasn’t all that keen on Season 3, though it certainly had its moments. Garden is one of my favourite LEXX episodes, and the balloons being gobbled up by the Lexx in GirlTown is a real gem. Don’t get me wrong, I thought S3 was very good, I just didn’t generally like it as much as the movies or S2. Sometimes I joke that LEXX lost its way when my absolute favourite character died, Bugbomb — oh why, oh why did they have to kill him off ๐Ÿ˜‰ — but having not seen S4, I think LEXX was very good all along. Better at some times than others, of course, but still a damned fine show even at the worst of times — for me that was 791. It was just a little too sadistic for my tastes, although there were plenty of other episodes that came really close.

Anyway, despite warnings that I probably won’t like S4 much (I’m generally a very cynical person) I’m really looking forward to it, and will keep an open mind.

-Logan

P.S. Latin rocks. Viva Ricky Martin! ๐Ÿ˜› (er, or do I mean latinos?)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.