Lexx name analysis

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

Lexx-Named after show creator Lex Gigeroff. A possible secondary meaning is the Latin “lex,” meaning “law” or “word.”

Stanley-Probably the most normal name on the series, derived from the Old English Stánléah, meaning “ley stone.” A ley was a path of mystical energy the Anglo-Saxons believed existed, and “stánléah” would refer to the ancient stone circles that were the supposed focal points of this energy. As a result, Stanley and its ancient variants was a symbol of power and magical prowess. How ironic.

Kai-Kai is Japanese for “drone.”

Zev-Zev is probably named after Zev Senesca, the kamikaze A-wing pilot who crashed into the bridge of the Star Destroyer Executor in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in the scene that inspired the openeng sequence of Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow.

790-For some reason, people with number names in sci-fi always have a 9. 7 of 9, K-9, Spectre 9, 99, Xyber 9, X-9…

Thodin-From Þódin, a Théodish name for the Norse god óðin. óðin had one eye and could do virtually anything.

Gigerotta-Probably named after Lex Gigeroff. I’ve been told Gigerotta is a legitimate Russian name, but I have no confirmation from a reputable source.

Bog-Has the curious double meaning of “black” and “god” in Gaelic.

Wist-Longing, love for something out of reach.

Yottskry-Japanese for “black.”

Vigo-Actual name. Skandinavian in origin, from “Vig,” meaning “war.”

Mantrid-Possible portmanteau word: Mantrin (Hundu wise man)+Mantid (type of insect)=Mantrid.

Kazaan-Possibly named after homicidal surgeon Dr. Evazan in Star Wars: A New Hope (“You’ll be dead!”).

Lyekka-Lyekka is a Slavic name, from Lyka meaning “she-wolf.” The first animal in space had a variation of this name (Laika).

Norb-On Earth, Norb is typically short for Norbert, which comes from the Old English Norðberaht, meaning “bright north.” Norb Gollean may be named after Norb Datry, Matt Frewer’s hillbilly character in Dead Man’s Gun.

Jihana-The Box of Jhana was the container of an evil force in the Doctor Who episode Kinda. Kinda similar…

Wozard-Definite portmanteau word: Oz+Wizard=Woz(ard). Taking Teutonic suffixes into account, Wozard would mean “product of Woz.”

May-May was the elderly Januarie’s young bride in The Knight’s Tale in Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. From the Greek goddess Maia.

Dominatrix-Latin for “mistress.”

Longbore-This name is either a reference to Niels Bohr (codiscoverer of quantum physics) or Smallbore from Piers Anthony’s Cluster 3: Kirlian Quest.

Renfield-Mikey took this from the zoophagous character in Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Dravidia-From Sanskrit “Dravida,” a member of an ancient Australoid race.

Mandragora-Greek, an anthropomorphic plant that would scream when uprooted.

Muffy-Possible reference to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, a made-for-T.V. movie and accompanying series about the undead.

Vlad-From Vladimir Bassarob “das Drakul” Tepes III, Bram Stoker’s inspiration for Count Dracula.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    Muffy-Possible reference to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, a made-for-T.V. movie and accompanying series about the undead.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992), starring Kristy Swanson, Luke Perry, Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, and Paul Reubens was a theatrical release, and not a made-for-TV movie.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Kai is also a Hebrew word or an anagram of 3 Hebrew words having to do with either death or resurection, or both.

Not sure and I can’t find the emptomology of ‘Kai’ on Google or a Hebrew-English dictionary online.

Anyone here know Hebrew?

Then theres Jihana, the obvious simularity to Jihad (which I’m sure nobody wants to hear more about).

Giggerota is Polish for liver-eater (but I’m not sure)

I dunno about your interpetation of ‘Zev’s’ emptomology, but I can’t find anything better.

Thumbs up DT!

Anonymous

Kai is a unisex name that means “Ocean” in Hawaiian.

[ 28-09-2001: Message edited by: T3 ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

Thank you, Hypatia.

Kai is also a Bajoran religious figure, a knight in one version of Arthurian legend, and the Greek word for “and.” But I don’t think they’re all relevent. I don’t know Hebrew, so I can’t tell you what “kai” means in that language. Maybe F.X. would know.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Thank you, Hypatia.

Maybe F.X. would know.

doesn’t seem to be hebrew alphabet, but am checking…might have to do with cabbalistic stuff… good topic!

Anonymous

Hehe….I know someone called Kai at college!

Anonymous

quote:

Zev-Zev is probably named after Zev Senesca, the kamikaze A-wing pilot who crashed into the bridge of the Star Destroyer Executor in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in the scene that inspired the openeng sequence of Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow.

Really? I never heard that before…but I can see the similarity.

Anonymous
    Inactive

mumblemumbleanalretentivemumblemumble )

Anonymous

Not bad, not bad at all. Must have taken alot of time to find this information…

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Theli:
    Not bad, not bad at all. Must have taken alot of time to find this information…

Not that long, actually. I typed it up when I ran out of homework the other day. I decided to do it when I found out Lyekka was a real name (I always assumed it was made up by the Beans ). I’d already known the Japanese connection to Kai and Yottskry, and the Walpurgin Night names are all fairly self-evident.

By the way, Walpurgis Night is not made up. It is a genuine part of ancient superstition, going all the way back to witch trial times.

Anonymous

quote:

By the way, Walpurgis Night is not made up. It is a genuine part of ancient superstition, going all the way back to witch trial times.

Well, superstition as much as one could call any religious day of observation a superstition. Walpurgis Night (or Walpurgisnacht) is the Germanic witches’ sabbath held on May 1 (the name comes from the Catholic festival which is held on St. Walpurgis’ canonization date of May 1, 779…it’s part and parcel of the Christian church’s tradition of replacing pagan festivals with “holy days” and renaming them. See also Samhain’s transformation to All Hallow’s Eve or Hallowe’en and the Winter Solstice’s transformation to Christmas). Judging from the publication of the Malleus Maleficarum in 1486, this puts the witch hunts at about 700 years after the establishment of Walpurgisnacht, which has an even longer tradition than the Catholic name’s history.

–Aleck

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    mumblemumbleanalretentivemumblemumble )

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

Walpurgis Night (or Walpurgisnacht) is the Germanic witches’ sabbath held on May 1 (the name comes from the Catholic festival which is held on St. Walpurgis’ canonization date of May 1, 779–Aleck

may eve origins are supposedly lost in the oral traditions of various pagan sects…basically it’s the celebration of spring wherein we are all supposed to frolic naked at midnight and copulate, thus exciting the gods and goddesses to do the same, thus renewing mother earth’s cycle of fertility and birth (which of course gives us lots of good things to eat so we can feed all the spawn generated on may eve! )all in all a more sensible and pragmatic approach to life

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

may eve origins are supposedly lost in the oral traditions of various pagan sects…basically it’s the celebration of spring wherein we are all supposed to frolic naked at midnight and copulate, thus exciting the gods and goddesses to do the same, thus renewing mother earth’s cycle of fertility and birth (which of course gives us lots of good things to eat so we can feed all the spawn generated on may eve! )all in all a more sensible and pragmatic approach to life

I agree FX, bring back the good ol days…ah the 70’s, Squishy too young then to remember it, but it sounds like fun.
    My monitor is on LSD at the moment…or is that LCD!?!
    Squishy

Anonymous
    Inactive

DTek, have you ever met Valdron?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:

I agree FX, bring back the good ol days…ah the 70’s, Squishy too young then to remember it, but it sounds like fun.
    My monitor is on LSD at the moment…or is that LCD!?!
    Squishy

Ack!! *shudders.. the only thing good to come out of the 70’s was Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets), Robotech and Star Wars, and there were toys released in Japan that would later resurface re-released in America as “The Transformers”. But let’s try to put those things behind us lest I bring up the old Captain America TV movies and Brady Bunch. Ok.. Banana Splits was pretty cool I’ll let that live action Spider-man TV show slide this time Oh and Mego toys of course

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by X:

Ack!! *shudders.. the only thing good to come out of the 70’s was Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets), Robotech and Star Wars, and there were toys released in Japan that would later resurface re-released in America as “The Transformers”. But let’s try to put those things behind us lest I bring up the old Captain America TV movies and Brady Bunch. Ok.. Banana Splits was pretty cool I’ll let that live action Spider-man TV show slide this time Oh and Mego toys of course

Like I said I was too young too remember, but yeah a lot of the T.V was really bad, but I do remember Saturday mornings when the Godzilla movies were showing, and of course the irrepressible Monkey.
    But the drugs and the free sex on offer sounds appealing, today everyone is so stuck up nowadays, no one relaxes, and it’s all work,work,work!!!
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    Walpurgis Night (or Walpurgisnacht) is the Germanic witches’ sabbath held on May 1 (the name comes from the Catholic festival which is held on St. Walpurgis’ canonization date of May 1, 779…it’s part and parcel of the Christian church’s tradition of replacing pagan festivals with “holy days” and renaming them.

That’s interesting. My source for Walpurgis Night is The Book of Fabulous Beasts. It describes “Walpurgis-Night” as the folk belief that on one night of the year witches would fly around stealing unbaptized enfants. They were said to congregate on a mountain top and sacrafice the children to the Devil, then drink their blood and roast and eat their flesh. The book makes no mention of a basis on any real holiday.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    may eve origins are supposedly lost in the oral traditions of various pagan sects…basically it’s the celebration of spring wherein we are all supposed to frolic naked at midnight and copulate, thus exciting the gods and goddesses to do the same, thus renewing mother earth’s cycle of fertility and birth (which of course gives us lots of good things to eat so we can feed all the spawn generated on may eve! )all in all a more sensible and pragmatic approach to life [/QB]

I thought that was Beltane (which the Christians made into Easter, taking out all the sex and therefore, all the fun ). Are they the same thing?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Catalina:
    I thought that was Beltane (which the Christians made into Easter, taking out all the sex and therefore, all the fun ). Are they the same thing?

May Day is from Beltaine in Celtic beliefs, Þrimeolce was the Théodish variation. Easter was Éastre in Théodish.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

I really have nothing to add about Walpurgis Night or it’s origins but I would like to vote for FX’s post as the best on the thread,
    any post that in one paragraph includes:

frolic naked, copulate. fertility and good things to eat has my vote!!
    Love Ya, FX!!!!!!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Catalina:

yes catalina, you are right, may eve is beltane, which is the celebration of spring and renewal and fertility…easter is also about renewal but it is usually in march or april…but yeah, catholicism was the ultimate synthetic religion; incorporating pagan holy days into christianity so that people could still celebrate, but under a new and improved idea i brought up beltane because aleck pointed out may 1 as walpurgis nacht…these things are always confusing and a lot of fun to think about…

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :

I really have nothing to add about Walpurgis Night or it’s origins but I would like to vote for FX’s post as the best on the thread,
    any post that in one paragraph includes:

frolic naked, copulate. fertility and good things to eat has my vote!!
    Love Ya, FX!!!!!!

why thank you nb! love ya too! you know,the last few weeks have reaffirmed for me that life is about eating good meals with good friends, and ‘frolicking’ and sleeping, and everything else we do is just so much noise that takes away from those basic good things…and if we were all concentrating on these good things about life, we wouldn’t be in the mess we are right now…so i guess i am going through my own ‘time is a circle’cycle and end up back to being the happy little pagan i was so many years ago

[ 01-10-2001: Message edited by: FX ]

Anonymous

very interesting!

Anonymous

FX – lead the way!

I looked up “Kai” on the web a while back and got a bunch of references to martial arts. I didn’t pursue that line so I don’t know what that’s about.

Interesting thread-starter DT!

DalekTek790
    Participant

Hold on a second…the Lexx arrived at Earth in Devember of 2019 (Little Blue Planet), the crew came down to Earth in January of 2020 (Texx Lexx), and in Walpurgis Night it’s already May? Man, time flies whey you’re watching Lexx.

Who or what is Valdron?

Anonymous

Where do you get december 2019 Dt?

‘Sides, had to be November if it was election time.

Lets take back Easter! Whoohoo!

Hmm, methinks we might be heading back to the ‘sex opon asking’ days, or maybe it’s a temporary thing.

[ 03-10-2001: Message edited by: Hypatia ]

Anonymous
    Inactive

quote:

Who or what is Valdron?

See http://www.wordwrights.co.uk/lexx/darrowindex.html
    and http://www.wordwrights.co.uk/lexx/time.html and some very long posts on both the lexx.com bored and the scifi.com Lexx forum.

DalekTek790
    Participant

Hypatia-Oops. I meant November. The year comes from Xevivor. The logo for the show that appears onscreen says “XEVIVOR 2020”. I take this to be the date.

Cat-That’s an interesting link. Maybe I’ll add it to the links page of my site that still doesn’t exist.

pet
    Participant

Happy belated Mabon…

Anyhoo, I just found out Kai also means:

Kai: “Hail!”, or “long live”. Used often, as “Kai!”.[k]

According to some online Klingon dictionaries. (I don’t know Klingon, myself, so I don’t know if it’s pronounced the same, but that’s how it’s spelled. Please don’t ask how I ended up at an online Klingon dictionary! )

Pet;D

sgtdraino
    Participant

(Star Wars geek alert)

Actually Zev Senesca was the pilot of snowspeeder Rogue 2. He located Luke and Han out on the frozen wastes of Hoth, and was later shot down and killed by an AT-AT in the Battle of Hoth, in SW-V: The Empire Strikes Back.

The A-wing pilot who flew into the conning tower of the Super Star Destroyer Executor was Green Leader Arvel Crynyd.

Anonymous

Even more geekier is the actor that played Zev in ESB (something Malcom)also played Edina’s ex husband on Absolutely Fabulous.

Anonymous

As for all the fusion of religious holidays, one very interesting book is
    “The Pagan Book of Days” (sorry, I don’t remember the author). Anyway, being a bit of a pagan and an animist myself , it was a real eye-opener as to just how many holy days (holidays) that are touted as Christian have their origins in pre-Christian or non-Christian beliefs. I guess it made it easier to convert people when you could wrap up a new message in a familiar package.

There is also a Japanese breed of dog called the Kai. They look like a smallish black or dark brindle German Shepherd. They are rather sleek and intimidating looking, like Lexx’s Kai.

As pointed out above, “kai” means ocean in Hawaiian. It is listed as one of the top 10 new trendy names in the Mainland US. It has been a traditional and popular name in Hawaii for centuries. One of my favorite derivations of it is the name for the Hawaiian monk seal: ilio-holo-kai. This translates as “the dog who runs in the sea”.(An alternate name is ilio-holo-kauaua, or “the dog who runs in the roughness”. Either way it’s a charming and appropriate description for a seal!)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.