Lexx references to other shows/movies

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Lexx references to other shows/movies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Cesare
    Participant

I have been watching 791 after a very long time and it struck me, how could it be possible, that I hadn’t noticed the allusions to Alien saga before.
    Maybe it’s just me, but I found them pretty obvious now.

So… Did you notice them as well?
    And have you noticed any other allusions like these in other eps?

leila
    Participant

There are so many references in Lexx its unreal!
    It seems to be a homage to whatever the hell the writers were watching the night before ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Some of the obvious ones I noticed:

The Web/The Net – Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Eating Pattern – Soylent Green
    Woz – Queen of Outer Space
    Wake the Dead – take your pick of slasher movies ๐Ÿ˜›
    Twilight – night of the living dead anyone?
    Supernova – Barbarella (the idea of the ‘burst of life’ reminds me very much of the chamber of death)
    Nook – Brother Cadfael mysteries
    Fire and Water – Mad Max
    Walpurgis Night – one 70’s vampire film can’t recall off the top of my head might be ‘the vampire happening’ and title was used in a 1971 vampire film la noche de Walpurgis’

I think thats one of the reasons the show works so well ๐Ÿ˜€
    As there are so many references.

Cesare
    Participant

Wake the dead and Twilight are marvellous tributes to slashers and zombie horrors, that’s true. In fact, Wake the dead is one of the very few slashers I like (this subgenre ain’t exactly my cup of tea).

That’s why I asked… Cause it seemed to me there must be tons of allusions throughout the whole series, many of them probably referring to movies and shows I do not know.

The body snatchers scheme seems so…general to me after watching tons of bad movies using similar plot…that I never perceived this as a reference. But it’s pretty obvious allusion indeed.
    What I found interesting about the whole alien thing is, that these references are so specific. More like citation… Especially that scene where Stan is trying to get rid of 791. (I am almost certain, he would prefer being confronted by a xenomorph…:-))

But that Nook-Brother Cadfael link is a funny (and correct) observation. never thought of it before. I like Cadfael.

It’s a pity I do not know some of those other movies you mentioned.

Anonymous

Wake the Dead is awesome.

I love the Halloween and Friday 13th movies.

leila
    Participant

Oh yeah the s4 idea of bad carrots – how bout David Cronenburg’s shivers anyone? thats actually phallic parasites that enter any orifice (often bottom) and turn people into sex fiends ๐Ÿ˜› a very Lexx image ๐Ÿ˜ˆ but Lexx has twisted the idea a bit to have killer robotic carrorts which i thought was really funny ๐Ÿ˜€

And Little Blue Planet well reminded me of the first season of ’24’ with that Russian asassin and his personal manicurist ๐Ÿ˜› Though I guess that could be borrowed from one of the Bond style movies….

I thought that both ‘Wake the Dead’ and ‘Twilight’ were great episodes ๐Ÿ˜› Its nice to see Kai let loose.

Cesare
    Participant

I thought that both ‘Wake the Dead’ and ‘Twilight’ were great episodes Its nice to see Kai let loose.

Yes, Kai malfunctions in general are always great fun to watch.
    And I think, that these eps (WtD and Twilight especially) must have been fun for MM to play in. Like a gust of a fresh air…:-)

Anonymous
    leila wrote:

Woz – Queen of Outer Space

Another, more direct homage would be The Wizard of Oz. There are a LOT of parallels there.

Additionally, there’s the send-up of the whole “Women In Prison” genre of films in “P4X,” the Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator homages in “Mort,” the generalized Hammer Films influences in “Walpurgis Night” and “Vlad,” the influence of The Seventh Sign on “The Game,” the Rashomon-esque approach of “The Web” and “The Net,” the similarities between “Gondola” and Hitchcock’s Lifeboat, and on and on and on…

nursewhen
    Participant

Don’t forget the wake the dead shower killing, straight out of Psycho.

lizard
    Participant

The Godfather– When Prince tells Bunny to hide the gun in the toilet when she is supposed to eliminate Xev and Kai.

Solaris– S3 when people (living or dead), or copies of them appear apparentely generated by the planet in some way. (This isn’t really a good example, because in S3 we find out the mechanism)

I think Quentin Tarantino directed “Prime Ridge”.

iStan
    Participant

I have heard before that the S2 eps were all inspired by different films, etc. It would be interesting to put together a comprehensive list.

Cesare
    Participant

Well…
    Wake the Dead – let’s say… Friday 13th
    Twilight – Night of the living dead
    Patches in the sky – Nightmare on Elm Street
    791 – Alien/s (?)
    I’m not sure that Brigadoom and Brigadoon have more than those eight letters in common (plus that they’re musicals), but nevertheless…

nursewhen
    Participant

There’s that scene in Twilight where Xev is snarling at the window. That’s right out of Salem’s Lot.

Also, the ship in Love Grows with the observation dome on top is right out of dark Star.

The internal workings of the planet Brunnis was very like the Forbidden Planet

iStan
    Participant

And as I’ve said before ‘Woz’ is obviously paying homage to Michael Jackson’s cinematic masterpiece from 1978.

Barabbas
    Participant

Ummmm back up. The Wiz cannot be compared with The Wizard of OZ nor any masterpiece. OK the exit from reality is the third door on the left, then the next right.

leila
    Participant

Woz is an interesting one.

The Wizard of Oz stuff is pretty damn obvious – I mean it was even going to be called ‘The Clizzards of Woz’

It is also a critique of radical feminism

And is a homage to ‘Queen of Outer Space’ (1958) with the whole terribly scarred evil queen who goes around masked thing going on.

Anonymous
    leila wrote:

The Wizard of Oz stuff is pretty damn obvious – I mean it was even going to be called ‘The Clizzards of Woz’

I dig. I just thought that the whole “791”/Alien thing was pretty obvious too, so I thought that it needed to be brought up in case anyone missed it. (BTW, while thinking of “791”, I always wondered why more hardcore US-based Euro-cult and exploitation film fans never latched onto the series, given the direct link between those genres and LEXX via this episode’s director, Jorg Buttgereit. Buttgereit, for those who aren’t familiar, created some of the most foul and nasty horror/exploitation films around, such as Nekromantik, Nekromantik II, Der Todesking and Schramm, and has a fairly large cult following in the States. Yet whenever he’s discussed on any of the boards I frequent, nobody ever brings the series up.)

And is a homage to ‘Queen of Outer Space’ (1958) with the whole terribly scarred evil queen who goes around masked thing going on.

I know — I wasn’t trying to say you were wrong (I hope you didn’t get that impression), I was just adding to what you’d said.

leila
    Participant

no offence taken ๐Ÿ˜›

I just think its cool that an episode can have lots of different references. Shows just what a cool show Lexx really is. Very clever ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.