Lexx references?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

I have noticed a number of what appear to be literary references in Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow. This movie mentions the League of 20,000 (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne), the Cluster (Cluster by Piers Anthony), and the Divine Order (The Divine Order by Robert Browning).

Are these intentional in-joke references to popular literature or just a string of coincidences? Has anyone else noticed this? Are there other refs I missed?

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

DalekTek790
    Participant

…Or maybe I just pay too much attention to what His Shadow is saying.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    …Or maybe I just pay too much attention to what His Shadow is saying.

dt, i guess i just assumed as you did in the first post, if you are going to write scifi, your going to shorthand back to common reference points!

Anonymous

Possibly….
    The interesting thing about science fiction and fantasy is that it very frequently takes bits and pieces from classic literature and reinterprets them. Sometimes it outright steals them, but we usually regard that as a “hey, you remember how cool THAT was, right? WE think so too, so here’s our nod of respect!”

Just look at Doctor Who and all the other shows we’re obsessed with… they do it a lot. Sometimes you just assume that’s what they’re doing. But….

…sometimes, there are a lot of coincidences…
    -Jace

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.