Lexx: Season 4 – The Directors Cut

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Lexx: Season 4 – The Directors Cut

• This topic has 39 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

If you had to cut Lexx Season 4 down to only the “relevant” episodes which ones would you pick that would cut out the less than fantastic episodes and only remain with ones that were to do with the main story arc?

Flamegrape
    Participant

none

Anonymous

All of the ones that don’t feature Tish!

Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Anonymous

Come on Flame, there must have been the odd episode that didnt fit in. “Haleys Comet” for example. Bit of a filler.

Im not saying it was terrible but it could be cut from a “Directors Cut” or “Special Edition” as it didnt seem to fit in with the whole Season 4 arc.

Anonymous

Ok well I was gonna make a list but I couldn’t do it because almost every episode(except for Haley’s Comet) somehow contributes to the arc. And if I only cut it down to the MAJOR arc episodes then it’d only be like a 5 episode season.

But let’s say what my least favourite episodes that served little purpose this season are:

Stan Down
    The Rock
    Midsummer’s Nightmare(take it back this episode could be completely cut)

Flamegrape
    Participant

Haley’s Comet contributed to the story arc because Kai, Stan, and Xev all finally agree that 790 is a dangerous b@stard that needs to be tied up. Although they didn’t reprogram him, they talked about it. This may suggest that 790’s ultimate fate is at hand. Or maybe that his psychosis will be somehow fixed.

Give the Beans a little credit.

Anonymous

Dont get me wrong. Im not criticising the epsiodes in Season 4. I think on the whole its been a great season but i do get the feeling they over-stretched themselves with 24 episodes and maybe would have been tighter as a 13 episode season like Season 3.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by JumpingJedi:
    Dont get me wrong. Im not criticising the epsiodes in Season 4. I think on the whole its been a great season but i do get the feeling they over-stretched themselves with 24 episodes and maybe would have been tighter as a 13 episode season like Season 3.

…and therefore everyone involved would have been paid half the amount. That’s what you’re saying?

I really don’t understand the point of this thread.

bonnee
    Participant

*Spoil Sport Alert*

I can’t subscribe to the notion that the arc factor should be factored into the equation. Unless we’re talking about Noah’s Ark, then most of season 4 can sink without a trace as far as I’m concerned. I have misgivings about the way things have been set up, extended and developed. Relevance is only a criterion in so far as it doesn’t constitute a degradation of what I regard to be relevant to Lexx in the first place (uniqueness, distinctiveness, want to tell others about, etc). Season 4 has not only not being good Lexx (its been playing to its weaknesses rather than its strengths), it has even given credence to the suggestion that it is the worst show on television. Nonetheless, I’ve liked episodes which contributed very little in terms of the overall story. I’ve only seen up to (but not including) the Game so far. I’m also very encouraged by reports that it has been regaining its footing thereon. So here is my director’s cut ( or rather, what I won’t be watching second time around and will do by best to prevent others from watching a first time by way of introduction). Like Noah’s Ark, a lot of the bad episodes tended to come in pairs. Get rid of
    Little Blue Planet- 4.01
    Texx Lexx- 4.02
    Stan Down- 4.04
    Xevivor- 4.05
    The Rock- 4.06
    Walpurgis Night- 4.07
    Magic Baby- 4.10
    A Midsummer’s Nightmare- 4.11
    Bad Carrot- 4.12
    769- 4.13
    Prime Ridge- 4.14

Anonymous

I know. Its a pointless thread. Just a general “throw the cat amongst the pigeons” thing to see what people thought were essential episodes and which were filler episodes.

DalekTek790
    Participant

The Rock could definately go. Stan Down and Xevivor, maybe. I haven’t seen Mort, but it doesn’t seem to contribute much since Moss looks like it picks up right where Prime Ridge left of (not that it isn’t a good stand-alone episode, it just doesn’t add to the arc much).

Season three really had a much tighter and more continuous story arc than season four.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790

Anonymous

They all have a kernel of relevance and stop there. Mort was only relevant because it showed how protoblood could reanimate humans, so I think that one could probably go. I was about to say Stan Down, but that one introduced the Brunnen G song to the cycle of time. And then for relevance(not pure entertainment) the one with Lomea.
    Maybe also Moss. Prince could have appeared on the TV in Dutch Treat just as easily.

Flamegrape
    Participant

God, I really want to vent my spleen.
    But I’ll just shut up instead.

Anonymous

I think it’s a valid subject. Not that I wouldn’t like to see more Lexx, but Season 2 had blatant filler episodes that didn’t have anything to so with the end episode. With the exception, of course, of Mandrid eating the planets after they left.
    They could have done the same thing this time. All the little plot points could have been condensed to make room for some really cool filler episodes.

Anonymous

I think it’s a valid subject. Not that I wouldn’t like to see more Lexx, but Season 2 had blatant filler episodes that didn’t have anything to so with the end episode. With the exception, of course, of Mandrid eating the planets after they left.
    They could have done the same thing this time. All the little plot points could have been condensed to make room for some really cool filler episodes.
    I hope something happens with that Higgs-Bosen particle, though, for all the thought required to fathom such a concept.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

God, I really want to vent my spleen.
    But I’ll just shut up instead.

Good idea

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:

Good idea

So tell me, bonnee, why are you attempting to get me angry with a comment like that?

Anonymous

Sorry about the double post. Now that that’s out of the way:

STOP THE MADNESS!
    Did this whole board get a giant prescription to bitter pills lately? First that whole “where did the name Brigadoom come from” meta-thread and now there’s a whole argument about…what? that some of the episodes were less than stellar or relevant? You may not agree. If you have an opinion to express, express it. Or don’t. Personally I think a passive-agressive attack to counter well-thought out arguments is equally infuriating because it really doesn’t tell anybody anything.
    Yes, we are all very sad that Lexx is ending. Let us not take it out on each other.
    You two-shake hands and go to your corners. Now let’s all group hug. Back to discussion.

bonnee
    Participant

Sorry Flamegrape (and Warsaw)- I thought the faces indicated that I was playfully acknowedging your admitted restraint. Its to your credit that you have allowed yourself to NOT take exception to my remarks again, as well as the more moderate objections. Please forgive what could have been read either way. I thought we had finally brokered some kind of truce, and that was what I was joking about. I should have known better. You get my particular respect for just showing someone else the respect and restraint we privately discussed. I sincerely apologise for appearing to violate the cease fire. Please forgive me again.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Warsaw:
    Personally I think a passive-agressive attack to counter well-thought out arguments is equally infuriating because it really doesn’t tell anybody anything.

Were you talking about me?

Look, I’ve already talked about it until I’m blue in the face. I had nothing more to say and I meant it. Trying to defend this d@mned show is pointless. I give up. There are so many d@mned trolls on the bboards that constantly b!tch and complain about how this show has gone to h3ll. Yet they continue to watch it so they can nitpick and make things miserable for the obvious minority that still love this show.

It’s the same d@mned thing every week. I watch the show and have some laughs with my friends. Then the next day I get online and practically all I see is more b!tching and complaining.

I’m tired of this. I give up. I QUIT.

I’ll still be lurking around the fanfic forum. And maybe I’ll post the rest of the story I started a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, you won’t hear from me for a long while.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

bonnee
    Participant

Flamegrape, it is possible the passive-aggresive remark wasn’t directed at you , and even if it was, why be petulant to prove the point? Please don’t go away, just try not to be Lexx’s advocate as if it needs advocating: its srong enough to withold any complaint levelled against it, and there is no need to take certain diappointments/remarks personally. I’ve been guilty of that of course, but you helped me see the light (and lightheartedness of it all)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Were you talking about me?

Look, I’ve already talked about it until I’m blue in the face. I had nothing more to say and I meant it. Trying to defend this d@mned show is pointless. I give up. There are so many d@mned trolls on the bboards that constantly b!tch and complain about how this show has gone to h3ll. Yet they continue to watch it so they can nitpick and make things miserable for the obvious minority that still love this show.

It’s the same d@mned thing every week. I watch the show and have some laughs with my friends. Then the next day I get online and practically all I see is more b!tching and complaining.

I’m tired of this. I give up. I QUIT.

I’ll still be lurking around the fanfic forum. And maybe I’ll post the rest of the story I started a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, you won’t hear from me for a long while.

Hey flame, don’t go, you know as well as anyone that Lexx can bring a whole range of emotions into play, sometimes it can infuriate and sometimes delight.
    I agree with Bonnee on this one, and I recently played into a post that was totally OTT, the so called bitchin’ here is non-existent and some people are exagerrating things (I did as well, but I saw that it wasn’t as bad as I thought).
    No programme can lay claim to being the best throughout an entire season, and Lexx’s controversial nature leaves it open to criticism, there are gonna be those who object to the sex, and those who don’t like or understand the humour, but it’s par for the course with our beloved programme, and you’re one of the few that see’s that.
    So don’t quit mate, Lexx is top dog no matter what anyone else feels, because we know it and we know what to expect from it.
    To me your one of it’s true fans, most just judge episode by episode, when conclusions should be made at the end of a season, and I think you prefer to look at it that way.
    Squishy

Anonymous

I just don’t see where Flame is coming from. It’s completely random.
    The topic starter was an innocent enough question, in my view. And what’s wrong with being an armchair quarterback? Nothing, says I. I like the show. We all like the show. I assume that’s why we spend time here. I’ve seen all the screen names on this thread hundreds of times, so I don’t think any of us are trolls either. Don’t see a lot of bitching either. To not damage any more egos I’ll stop there.
    Suffice to say that I don’t want to see anyone leave over something like this.

If I unintentionally said anything to offend anyone in THIS post, I’m sorry.

theFrey
    Participant

but… but… I liked the Rock. didn’t have any important arc bits… but I did like it a lot.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

I agree with Bonnee on this one, and I recently played into a post that was totally OTT, the so called bitchin’ here is non-existent and some people are exagerrating things (I did as well, but I saw that it wasn’t as bad as I thought).

I appreciate you saying that Squish. I’m not really sure what to make of much of the misunderstandings, although I acknowledge that certain of my posts have encourcouraged misreadings. Part of me suspects – hopes – that its either a cultural or trust thing. Vodacircle, for example, laughed at a joke I made at Dudley Moore’s expense because (I think) we both come from a land downunder and share a certain sensibility. Ryan laughed at another joke I made corncerning Lexx’s ratings because (I think) he recognises and trusts me as fan. He’s pivately indicated that he doesn’t view me as a troll. Which sort of makes me wonder why many of us – myself included – feel inclined to misjudge one another at times. I’m not sure why trust is such an issue.

For the record Squish: I’m sorry for upsetting you in the past, however unintentional.

I’m a little hurt for Flamegrape though – I don’t understand why he felt himself being attacked by either Warsaw or myself. Most of his posts are very funny, good natured and most appreciated – I would argue that he, Lee, JJ and Valdron offer the most in the way of developing and sustaining Lexxian dialogue (no disrespect to anyone else, seriously!!). The board won’t be the same without him, but it needs us all to keep it viable, ongoing and non cliquey. He just striked me as being a little overprotective about it in this thread, even if he was being (apparently) playful. Posting that he was biting his tongue only led him to biting his tongue off though. I think many of us are surprised to see him react in this way. Then again – it is difficult to gauge someone’s intent on the Internet most times, so obvously he felt himself being attacked in this instance ( I know the feeling, and it isn’t nice).

I need to track down a song to entice him back. Hopefully this will do for now. (The love I’m talking about is his obvious love for the show, as exhibited here).

Always Come Back To Your Love

Written by Mikkel S.E/Hallgeir Ruston

Yeah, check it out
    What, what, what, what
    Uh, you like that? Uh
    Come on yeah
    Uh, no doubt
    Break it

I’ve been up and down (uh, what)
    Been going round and round (uh)
    I’ve been all over town (wha-what,uh)
    But I’ll never ever find somebody new for sure
    (Yes, yes you are, left to right, yes
    Yes you are and rock you all night)

Show me where I belong tonight (all night)
    Give me a reason to stay
    No matter if I go left or right (left to right)
    I always come back to your love

I’ve been high and low (uh)
    I don’t know where to go (no, baby)
    Because I love you so (you like that)
    And I’ll never ever find someone like you for sure
    (Yes, yes you are, left to right, yes
    Yes you are and rock you all night)

Give me a reason to stay (I need a reason, yeah)
    (Back to your love, yeah)
    Woah
    I always come back to your love (yeah)
    Woah

Show me love tonight
    I’m going left to right
    No matter where I go
    I always find your love

Give me a reason to stay

Give me a reason to stay

(Left to right, you like that?)
    Woah
    (let’s go)
    Woah
    (Show me)
    I always come back to your love (all night)
    Woah
    (Uh)
    Woah (uh)
    (Left to right)

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Warsaw:
    I was about to say Stan Down, but that one introduced the Brunnen G song to the cycle of time. And then for relevance(not pure entertainment) the one with Lomea.

The episode with the piano version of the Brunnen-G war chant was The Rock, not Stan Down. And P4X (the one with Lomia) did have some important arc elements (it was the first time we got to see the probes close up, it resolved the Xev in prison thread and the Digby thread, and it explained Prince’s motive for kidnapping Stan).

quote:

I wouldn’t call those “filler episodes.” The first two seasons of Lexx were about stand-alone adventures, with a few parts of a loose story arc interspersed (and quite frankly, the story arc in season two was not a very interesting one). Many of the best episodes are stand-alones in their seasons (Eating Pattern, Woz, and Garden to name a few).

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Many of the best episodes are stand-alones in their seasons (Eating Pattern, Woz, and Garden to name a few).

I can’t say I agree with you. I regard these episodes as amongst the worst the series has produced. I would go so far as to urge that such episodes are the kind of television fodder so ably parodied in Lafftrack, tending to render audiences per se into disembodied minds.

Anonymous

Didnt mean to wind you up Flame with the original topic question. You know Im a great defender of Season 4 too. It was just a question which was to seperate arc related episodes from non-arc ones. “The Rock” was probably not arc related but is one of my favourite episdoes ever of Lexx. Just a debate. Thats all.

Anonymous

You guys are all crazy! ALL of ’em are good and important! They all contribute in some way to the plot of the show, or arc, whatever. Stop yer freakin’ squibblin’ dammit!

DalekTek790
    Participant

Divine Shadow Arc
    I Worship His Shadow
    The Giga Shadow

Mantrid Arc
    Mantrid
    Norb
    Patches in the Sky
    Twilight
    Brigadoom
    Brizon
    The End of the Universe

Prince Arc
    Fire and Water
    May
    Gametown
    Boomtown
    Gondola
    Tunnels
    The Key
    Battle
    The Beach
    Heaven and Hell

Duke Arc
    Gametown
    Boomtown
    Gondola

Probe Arc
    Little Blue Planet
    P4X
    Xevivor
    Bad Carrot

Presidential Arc
    Little Blue Planet
    Texx Lexx
    P4X
    Stan Down
    Fluff Daddy
    Bad Carrot
    Moss
    Dutch Treat
    Apocalexx Now

Longbore Arc
    Texx Lexx
    P4X
    Xevivor
    Dutch Treat

Imprisonment Arc
    Texx Lexx
    P4X
    Stan Down

Vlad Arc
    Texx Lexx
    Xevivor
    Walpurgis Night
    Vlad
    Fluff Daddy
    Magic Baby

Anonymous

Don’t forget the Kai becoming human/xev loving human Kai arc!
    (can’t think of the episodes but I’ll try)
    The Web(stan says Kai will never be alive)
    Boomtown
    Fluffdaddy(?)
    The Game
    Possibly Haley’s Comet
    Of course Yo Way Yo from summaries

And Fire and Water souls migrating to Earth
    (don’t know if this qualifies as an arc because there might not be a resolution)
    Little Blue Planet
    The Rock
    Apocalexx now

DT’s post made me think:which arc would be the most important to follow in this season?
    For the season:
    The presidential arc seems to be the most prevalent, the Vlad arc the most interesting, but I think that the carrot probes would be the most important for a start to finish summary of an arc of the season.
    A directors cut could also be made of all four seasons. There are a few episodes left, but I’m going to take a stab at major themes.
    It would have to be Kai. I’m trying to stay away from episodes where Kai just pulls their butts out of the fire.
    Episodes listed above
    All four movies
    Mandrid
    Norb
    The Web
    Brigadoom
    The end of the Universe
    Heaven and Hell
    Or the cycle of time, depending on how the last episodes pan out. 6 degrees of seperation of the Universe may also be one. Anything else, like finding a home, didn’t seem to be high on thier list of priorities. There still may be the occasional episode, like Prime Ridge and Giga shadow.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I have calculated that stand alone episodes are on average 11% better than arc episodes.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    I have calculated that stand alone episodes are on average 11% better than arc episodes.

How do you come up with 11%? Why not 10% or 12%?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    You guys are all crazy! ALL of ’em are good and important! They all contribute in some way to the plot of the show, or arc, whatever. Stop yer freakin’ squibblin’ dammit!

All right Fred! Couldn’t agree more.

First of all, how do you know how all the S4 episodes are going to fit into the arc when you haven’t seen the last four shows yet?

Secondly, S3 was an experiment with a story in 13 parts–a twisted soap opera. That’s not Season 4. Season 4 is carrying a number of threads, let’s see how they’re wrapped up.

Thirdly, just because an episode is not important in terms of obviously moving the “arc” forwards, doesn’t mean it isn’t important to the overall meaning of the season. Why should The Rock for example be considered totally irrelevant? The groundwork for it was laid several episodes before–both when Stan got the phony Kingship offer from the President, and by the continual introduction of characters from the past. In The Rock through Brud Parsnip (and Bunny) we get to hear the
    archetype theory–finally explaining Farley,Lomea, et al; and then in later episodes coming into play again with Lulu, Actor Kai, Moss and so on. And Kai singing in the Pub is priceless as a “stand alone”, but it also re-introduces Yo-A-O and reminds us exactly what the song means. I sure think that might be important. Not everyone has seen Brigadoom after all–the only other place where the song’s meaning was clearly explained.

I’m not saying all the shows are equally good, but I sure wouldn’t want to have missed any of them. Think of how much texture you’d lose. Besides, who ever heard of a Director’s cut that’s shorter
    than the existing version??

And Flamegrape: please don’t write the Board off!! I love reading your posts. They’re passionate and funny and well informed–try to tune out the irritating threads: I find the ability to tune out an extremely useful tool, worth cultivating.

elmey

Anonymous

Okay. I know. Its a silly topic! But it certainly got people talking didnt it.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    How do you come up with 11%? Why not 10% or 12%?

I averaged my ratings for stand alone episodes and arc episodes and subtracted one from the other.

quote:

Originally posted by Elmey:
    I’m not saying all the shows are equally good, but I sure wouldn’t want to have missed any of them. Think of how much texture you’d lose.

That’s exactly my point. Sure, eliminating stand-alone episodes would weed out some mediocre shows like Super Nova, Love Grows, and The Rock, but it would also mean losing Eating Pattern, Lyekka, Stan’s Trial, White Trash, Nook, Woz, The Web, Brigadoom, K-Town, Garden, Prime Ridge, and The Game.

Think if The X-Files was all arc episodes. It would be all conspiracy and no shows like Squeeze, The Host, and Jose Chung’s From Outer Space. You need variety.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

That’s exactly my point. Sure, eliminating stand-alone episodes would weed out some mediocre shows like Super Nova, Love Grows, and The Rock, but it would also mean losing Eating Pattern, Lyekka, Stan’s Trial, White Trash, Nook, Woz, The Web, Brigadoom, K-Town, Garden, Prime Ridge, and The Game.

DT, this may be veering off topic, but your list of stand alones surprises me. You don’t thinkBrigadoom and The Game were absolutely essential to the arc of their respective series? Brigadoom sets the climax of S1 in motion when the crew decides to stop running and go fight Mantrid. And The Game (though I realize the series isn’t finished) is clearly going to have important ramifications. You don’t think it’s a major step towards Kai’s eventual fate?

elmey

Anonymous

As I said before, all the episodes are in some way furthering the overall arc of the show, which is: two living persons, a dead man, and a robot head roam through the two universes and try to find a new home. Unfortunetly they get sidetracked way too much along the way.

Anonymous

I have to say, it irritates me to see people argue over Lexx like this. Yes, of course some episodes are better than others for some people. I myself found Midsummer’s Nightmare to be very funny, in a very Lexxian way. Another show I adore is Whose Line is it Anyway – when clive anderson hosted but there are several eps that I don’t necessarily adore.

What drew me to Lexx in the first place was that it had no common “theme” like boldly exploring, blah blah. The first few times I saw it I thought, “This show is great, they get into all sorts of trouble in an attempt to get laid. You must admit, a lot of the shows in series 2 had this theme. That’s not a criticism but an observation about how different Lexx is from say Farscape or Enterprise.

Lexx always had a good sense of humor – after all the bug bomb coming out of Thodin’s nose was pretty silly and let’s not even discuss Barry Boswick(sp) as a romantic hero. ..

A good healthy debate over plot points is wonderful, bickering over minor points is not.

Just my two cents – which gets me less than STan’s hologram on the Luvliner.

Anonymous

Perhaps I worded the question incorrectly. Dont get me wrong I love Season 4 as much as any other Season and I think every episode is vital but I was trying to find out peoples opinions on what they thought were Arc Episodes and what were “filler”/other episodes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.