LEXX: The Roleplaying Game

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx LEXX: The Roleplaying Game

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Darkness
    Participant

Greetings Fellow Lexxians!

First please let me introduce myself. I am Darkness (aka Frank) I am from NY USA. I first encounted LEXX several years ago when I saw a preview for IWHS and Gigashadow. Needless to say when I went to rent them all the video store carried was Gigashadow, so I rented it. At the time I had no idea that it was a series. Truth be told I thought those were the only two movies in the series and was told that IWHS was unavailable to order. (Please bear in mind that at the time I was computerless.)

Now several and 3 children later I have discovered the full series and I have my newest son to thank for it! It was several months ago, he was just a little bitty new born and I was up feeding him in the wee hours of the morning and I switched on the Sci-Fi station and there it was….LEXX!!! Needless to say I watched Friday night with my son in hand eatting his bottle and watching along with me. Ahh fond memories. (He is 8 months old now hehe)

I have now decided to start collecting all the series in order so I can find out everything that I have missed.

To be completely honest by watching Gigashadow and the episodes that weren’t repeats when I watched the story was full of holes, because I had missed the whole beginning and middle. HAHA

I had spoken to a friend about it, still being intrigued and wanting to know more. This same friend watched the show a few weeks back while suffering from some insomnia and came into work the next day asking me to tell him what the story was about…unfortunately I wasn’t really able to tell much. So I started on a crusade of sorts to learn more of this fantastic story and came across several websites…I have to say this one was very informative.

Now I feel comfortable with the story and cant wait to own all the volumes!

So nice to meet you all, and happy to join your ranks!

So now on to the subject of the topic: LEXX The RPG
    By trade I am a programmer, but my desired trade is to be an rpg game developer, currently with 1 title to my name.

With that said I am completely amazed that I am unable to find any Roleplaying games out there that center around the stories and setting of LEXX. So I am here to see what interest if any is out there for the development and production of a LEXX roleplaying game….Now to avoid confusion, when I say Roleplaying game I do not mean a web-based message board or an Online Computer MMORPG, nor do I mean any other Computer based game. I mean the good old Pen and Paper style RPG, you know gather around your table with some friends, dice and have a good time.

The reason I ask of interest is I am wondering if there are enough Roleplayers out there in the LEXX community who would enjoy a well written Roleplaying setting based around LEXX allowing them to play Assassins, Love Slaves, Security Guards, Priests, Robots, Brunnen G, Heretics etc….

Of course if the interest is there we would leave development very open to the fan base to ensure we are creating something that we can all enjoy. Having Polls, requesting Fan art from the fanbase etc…

So I ask you! Who wants to Roleplay in the 2 Universes??

leila
    Participant

what sort of system do you have in mind?

Dunno if you have come across the Hercules and Xena RPG but the system on that was pretty simple. Dice had I think 3 chakrams (success) and 3 bats (fails) and then there was one wild dice with an eye of hera (critical fail), zeus’ thunderbot (critical success) and 2 chakrams/bats. So you roll however many dice and the wild dice….

while you don’t get to play any of the major characters, they do crop up and you can interact with them as NPCS. A cool way to explore the universe… Or in this case two universes 😈

theFrey
    Participant

RPG the old fashion way are fun, but can’t they also be played online? The reason I ask is that many Lexxians are separated and may only meet up in RL occasionally.

We have lots of talented people and between original artists and photo-shop whizzes art work should not be a problem.

Darkness
    Participant

Originally Posted by: TheFreyRPG the old fashion way are fun, but can’t they also be played online? The reason I ask is that many Lexxians are separated and may only meet up in RL occasionally.

We have lots of talented people and between original artists and photo-shop whizzes art work should not be a problem.

True, but being a gamer myself I know that if I brought an RPG to my group they woudl all watch at least the first series to get into the game world and make characters….Consider it my way of spreading his shadow! MWuhahahaha!

I know that the LEXX fans are pretty spread out but an online animated game like an MMORPG would be a huge undertakeing, requiring a decent amount of overhead. I am sure the graphics portion would be easy enough with the talent in the Fanbase but what about the Hosting environment and the developers etc…

A paper based RPG I could develop myself with input from the fans with very little overhead aside from publication costs.

what sort of system do you have in mind?

Dunno if you have come across the Hercules and Xena RPG but the system on that was pretty simple. Dice had I think 3 chakrams (success) and 3 bats (fails) and then there was one wild dice with an eye of hera (critical fail), zeus’ thunderbot (critical success) and 2 chakrams/bats. So you roll however many dice and the wild dice….

while you don’t get to play any of the major characters, they do crop up and you can interact with them as NPCS. A cool way to explore the universe… Or in this case two universes

I Think that LEXX the RPG would need its own system, something that really allowed the players to tell the story and have the cinematic feel, so it would be very Un-D&D like.

I also think that we wouldn’t want to use specialty dice as that will add to the cost. In order to have them made I would have to order 10,000 dice. While I am not opposed to that, it does come with a 600+ USD cost. Instead maybe we could base everything around standard 6 sided dice, which anyone who owns a board game should have.

I would have to say that I wouldnt want to write rules for letting you play the main characters.. but I would like to develop the setting rules to allow you to play before, during or after the destruction of the light universe.

What does everyone think?

leila
    Participant

d6 systems are fine
    though i still think special lexx dice would have been ace! 😈

mmmmmm really like the idea of you allowing before or after destruction of the light universe. Most of the cool planets we get to see are in the light zone so setting it after the universe’s destruction would be sad. If you allow for an exploration of both zones its keeping your options open, can either visit planets seen in the show…. Imagine having an adventure on Potatohoe lol or explore the sadly largely unexplored darkzone…. 😀

Darkness
    Participant

I could do specialty dice if I knew for sure that it would be worth it.

Or we could always do blank dice with printed stickers…that would cut costs. So when you buy them you get x dice and a sticker sheet of the various sides.

I really think to get the full potential out of the game you would have to offer rules and information on both universes. It would be very cool to allow the Game Master to choose what time they want their game to take place in.

Cesare
    Participant
    Darkness wrote:

I would have to say that I wouldnt want to write rules for letting you play the main characters.. but I would like to develop the setting rules to allow you to play before, during or after the destruction of the light universe.

What does everyone think?

I think that it would be best to start with the light zone and dark zone as we know them from s1 and s2… Of course adding the heretics and allowing the players to explore the light zone some time before the Lexx was stolen would be welcome. These settings and events are well-known among fans, they would allow the player to identify with the gameworld more easily and the players may even interact with main characters (or some minor ones) if the gamemaster decided so… And above all – as far as I’m concerned, s1 and s2 stuff always makes me somewhat sentimental, these were the “good old times”. It would be a nice starting point.
    It would be the best introduction… A basic module sort of. The game could develop further and deeper then.

Ahem…
    *Cesare has finished her ‘stating the obvious’ exercise…*
    I’m off.

Darkness
    Participant

Here is my current proposal for the books layout. I would love to have some feedback, suggest new chapters, or even an entirely different lay out.

Please feel free to critique or offer up other ideas!

Contents:
    Chapter I
    Section 1: Introduction and Preface
    Section 2: Timeline/ History the 2 Universes
    Section 3: Character Creation
    • Attributes
    • Traits
    • Gifts
    • Flaws
    • Story Points
    • Templates (Love Slave, Assassin, Mercenaries, Robots, Guards etc…)
    • Equipment and Stuff
    • Awarding Story Points
    • Character Progression/Advancement

Chapter II
    The Light Universe:
    Section 1: Places and Planets (The Cluster, Brunnis 2 etc…)
    Section 2: Personalities of Note
    Section 3: Orders and Guilds (Divine Order, Ostral-b Heretics etc…)

Chapter III
    The Dark Universe:
    Section 1: Places and Planets (Brunnis, Fire, Water etc…)
    Section 2: Personalities of Note
    Section 3: Orders and Guilds

Chapter IV
    The Book of Cycles (How to GM LEXX)
    Section 1: Scenes and Style
    Section 2: Setting a Game During the Insect Wars
    Section 3: Setting a Game During the League of 20000 planets
    Section 4: Setting a Game During the Cleansing
    Section 5: Setting a Game After the End of the Universe
    Section 6: Traveling between the Universes

n5 -kopele
    Participant

I am really interested in playing an RPG of Lexx, although I didn’t understand anything from what you said. As I know it, RPG is played by posting messages like on this forum. Everyone, who’s playing develops the story the way he likes, writes a couple of lines and the next one continues it from the point of his character (every player has a character to manipulate). And that’s all. I have no idea what dices are or whatever more u mentioned… I’d offer we play in the time, when Lexx is stolen, or even better we steal it and we’ll think up other characters, different from those in the movie. Or for example Lexx visits a planet, where we are located and we’ll become part of the crew. We’ll make it a good and interesting RPG. So, please, anyone explain me what dices are and if I don’t understand RPGs the right way, please explain me. And tell me if u agree with my proposals 🙂

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Lexxians,
    I think it would be cool to start a role playing game for Lexx, especially on the computer; but I also think it can be done offline as well, with someone playing Kai, 790, Xev or Zev, Stan & the rest of them. It’s been done before as a panel at DC 2003, so I think it can be done 1 more, especially for those of us who missed the last 1; I also think other episodes can also be done as long as it’s done in good taste.

Happy 2005,
    Jhevz 😉

Anonymous

how about both online and RL play? By this I mean the game takes place in designated online rooms but all the information and dicerolls are done RL, that way you can keep the essence of tabletop but allow an international group of Lexxians to play.

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

This sounds good!

n5 -kopele
    Participant

Yeah… Whatever you choose for the roleplaying game, before you start it, please explain the rules to me…

Galeros
    Participant

I agree with Darkness and think it should be a tabletop RPG. You should not really play as the characters as the show, but make your own. Like lets say you could be a Robot Guard fromm the cluter, and another player could play a loveslave, and there would be someone to GM it. I think it would be really cool. 😀

n5 -kopele
    Participant

Agreed:)
    When do we start, I’m looking forward to it

ladylina
    Participant

Playing our own characters on the Lexx universe sounds much better than playing the series again.
    my opinion, course 😛

I’d not play it because I cannot guarantee my presence or avaiability :/

BUT, I’d love to turn the “log” into a story 😉 That is, if anyone here already hasn’t proposed for that.

lina.

ps: but could I maybe appear as a guest star??? hihihi

n5 -kopele
    Participant

Yes, it’s the best idea. So when do we start?

Abdullakh
    Participant

is this project continued?
    or maybe you already forgotten about it?

for myself, i would play pen & paper lexx rpg

Darkness
    Participant

Well if there is still interest in the game I would continue it. But the posts on various sites went without comment for a long time so I had moved on to other projects.

Pen and Paper would be great….Online MMORPG style game would be good as well. However, personally I do not hvae the skills to develop an Online version of a lex RPG.

I can offer skills in VB, .Net or Lua coding. anyone else have anyskills that could be used to make an online version of the game?

n5 -kopele
    Participant

I’ll say it again – when u finally decide to start sth, someone pls write a pm to me explaining the rules exactly. I’m ready to play any time and I’m looking forward to playing.
    I think I’d prefer to make up a character, I don’t want to play myself, because it will be hard explaining how we – lexxians from Earth have ended up on the real Lexx. It’d be a good idea for everyone to invent a character suitable for the RPG.

Abdullakh
    Participant

Darkness: so you first propose that YOU could develop lexx p&p game system, and now you say that you have cancelled the process?
    of course, it would be cool, if someone could create a mmorpg, but first base system needs to be created….
    and mmorpg does not have to have graphics at all – can’t you start with old-school text-only mmorpg? i say “you”, because i am crappy computer-things developer (crappy mens that i cannot do anything ;))

Darkness
    Participant
    Abdullakh wrote:

Darkness: so you first propose that YOU could develop lexx p&p game system, and now you say that you have cancelled the process?
    of course, it would be cool, if someone could create a mmorpg, but first base system needs to be created….
    and mmorpg does not have to have graphics at all – can’t you start with old-school text-only mmorpg? i say “you”, because i am crappy computer-things developer (crappy mens that i cannot do anything ;))

Yes I said I would, but I work on what seems to have interest. There seemed to be VERY little interest in a LEXX rpg…at least pen and paper style. If the interest is renewed I would pick it back up again. I do still have what I had done to date, I just put it on the back burner as interest dwindled.

One of the things that keeps me going is excitement, and if others are excited about a project then it keeps me excited about that project. when interest in the Lexx rpg faded so did mine.

So does anyone have any proposals? Would you rather see a message board based RPG? A Server/Client RPG, or a Pen and Paper rpg? Or no rpg at all?

n5 -kopele
    Participant

I vote for message board based rpg.

Abdullakh
    Participant

i vote for pen and paper – after all p&p systems are most easy to adapt to other mediums, such as message boards or mmorpgs

so if we had that kind of fundament, it would be easy to create further games on message boards or chats…

Darkness
    Participant

so you would rather have a p&p than a message board. I think I am going to put my message boards back up as it would be easier for me to keep track of what is going on.

I was also thinking a chat would be good where you have commands like

/msg so you can talk privately.
    /snd so you can play sounds (like blasts, laughs etc…)

any opinions?

Should I start up a message board devoted to the games construction again?

n5 -kopele
    Participant

http://www.lexxfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=786

Let’s start an RPG here! I’ve waited too long, so I decided to start my own. If interested – write.

matthewsancho

There have been so many role playing games that one cannot stick to any one so popular. A game attacks the players mind through its trategies and the graphic it offers. All is just like the <a href="http://www.playedonline.com/game/17563/Skies-of-War.html">Skies of war</a> amazing to play and just have the crazy fun.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.