Life on Mars..sucks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bonnee
    Participant

How is such mediocrity getting great reviews? Are sci fans so starved of ideas that we’ll latch onto anything? Or is the cop genre so exhausted that viewers will welcome ‘something different’?

The show has an intriguing premise – a cop *appears* to have traveled back in time and *seems* to be on a gene hunt in a bid to solve the mystery of someone’s identity, possibly his own. But the mystery and intrigue is offset with obvious stories unworthy of the premise.

The time travel scenario just seems to be an excuse to nostalgically revisit cop shows of yesteryear – whilst pretending to look askance at the 70’s through modern eyes.

Sometimes the show astounds – usually when the test pattern comes alive – but the general approach is unimaginative and drawn out. The stand alone episodes don’t really have a leg to stand on in this day and age (too generic or old shat), and the overall narrative arc tends to drag its heels by retreating into the background or the margins.

All said and done: why is everyone so excited by the trip down memory lane?

hishadow
    Participant

Faldor
    Participant

Ah, I like it. and thats why it gets good reviews. ๐Ÿ˜› It’s nice that he’s trying to fit in with the time rather then just try to get home, makes it different and it goes a bit weird now and then which is always fun.

plus it’s got Gene Hunt…. He’s ‘avin ‘Ooops!

๐Ÿ˜†

oh and considering I wasnt even a twinkle in me parents eye during the 70s I dont buy the nostalgia argument

bonnee
    Participant
    Faldor wrote:

oh and considering I wasnt even a twinkle in me parents eye during the 70s I dont buy the nostalgia argument

I was more talking about a cultural or shared memory. As the show’s title implies, it is difficult not to look back and experience something alien or otherwordly about the past. the way it is remembered is preserved in dress codes, genre tropes, stereotypes, and attitudes, etc. And i maintain that the show longs for the past by choosing to remember it as such, even if such memories tend to be revisionist or false. Just ask your parents how prevalent free love or the hippy movement really was ๐Ÿ˜› Yet somehow these memories have come to define an entire era or group of people.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.