LOTR The Musical?!?!?!?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub LOTR The Musical?!?!?!?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sidhecafe
    Participant

Lord of the Rings The Musical, to open in Toronto…I can’t breathe……….trouble see….-ing……….no………n-………nooooooo….

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe it’s opening in London’s West End, and then will be seen in various other cities. Part of it will be sung in Elvish!

Actually, it seems rather appropriate material for a musical to me. Toikien’s Lord of the Rings was inspired by the 14th Century Teutonic epic, Niebelungenlied (Ring of the Niebelung — now a comic too) Saga, based on mythology. Wagner wrote an epic opera, or series of operas called The Ring Cycle, based on that material/mythology. So rings of power have already been set to song on the stage. Also, there’s plenty of singing as it is in LOTR.

Incidentally, the musical’s official site opens tomorrow http://www.thelordoftheringsmusical.com/

I want to see Planet of the Apes: The Musical (an old Simpsons episode whet my appetite for that one).

And I’m slightly acquainted with someone who wrote a full-scale Top Gun: The Musical.

I admit, slightly ashamedly, I like musicals… So I’d like to see it, but still, I’d rather they turn Bored of the Rings into a musical (some funny songs in that parody).

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Apparently none of the London stages can accomodate all the production effects, so it’s starting in Toronto…according to cnn.com today.

And yes, yes, I realize the Niebelungenlied connection. And true it is very melodramatic in true operatic style…

And yes there is music and verse galor in the books….but I just can’t get passed the idea of Hobbits singing about “going to Mordor!!!” ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜†

And don’t get me wrong – I’m not against musicals(saw The Producers 2 weeks ago)….but this just kind of strikes me as the whole “Death to Smoochy” ideas about ice shows….

color me stunned and astounded! ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

wasn’t there an old LOTR cartoon that was also a musical?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah, thanks, I’d heard about it a while ago, Sidhecafe, and hadn’t known about the latest news.

Lexxlurker, I guess you’re thinking of Rankin/Bass’s made-for-TV “The Return of the King.” Was done rather like a Disney musical (e.g. Aladdin). It was sort of a sequel to Bakshi’s animated Lord of the Rings. Too bad Bakshi only made the first instalment (the closing Helm’s Deep scene was so exciting). I thought The Rankin/Bass “Return of the King” pretty terrible. Some hilariously bad songs as I recall. They also did The Hobbit which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Pretty irrelevent, but here’s Leonard Nimoy singing The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins click

theFrey
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

Lord of the Rings The Musical, to open in Toronto…I can’t breathe……….trouble see….-ing……….no………n-………nooooooo….

Oh come on. Singing hobbits. What could be cuter? Oh and steely eyed men, with much 5-oclock shadow crooing love songs. *sigh…… oh for a razor, hot towel and some shaving cream.

Of course….. one wonders who they will be crooing to? Being out by themselves.

OMFG! Could this be a Musical version of the LOTR – The Very Secret Dairies!!??

damocles
    Participant

If they can make something of “Your A Good Man Charlie Brown”, then LoTR, the Musical might be a good idea, after all.

I would have to see the book of the play first to judge if they have a shot….or plonk money down for tickets. ๐Ÿ™‚

Either way, I prefer to judge for myself. Knowing the caliber of critics these days…. ๐Ÿ˜†

D.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Musical stoned hobbits….I don’t know about a crooning Aragorn…maybe legolas….esp if there’s a duet with Gimli!!!

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† I’m just tickling myself now!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.