LOTR:The Two Towers

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub LOTR:The Two Towers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ADM
    Participant

That’s so weird, I was thinking that in light Of LOTR someone might look at the Narnia chronicles and lo and behold.
    I can always remember The Hobbit and LOTR as being more for children, but Peter Jackson has brillantly brought this stunning work to an adult audience, without it appearing as being just for children.
    I think the same should (and probably will) happen with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but I hope that it doesn’t do a Harry Potter, as I am in the firm belief that those films are for children.
    For me the success of LOTR is it’s dark theme, and if they can apply the same to Lion,Witch & Wardrobe then it should prove just as popular.
    I remember this book so well, and it occured to me just how much like it was too LOTR in terms of mixing it’s darkness with it’s light hearted side.
    According to the movie site it will remain faithful to the book, although the choice of director seems to lean to a more child orientated audience or a tleast injecting a more humourous approach. Apparently the guy who did Shrek takes the helm, so I can’t help thinking it will be kinda ‘Shrekish’, i.e really good humour but not enough darkness, so I’m really hoping for an epic masterpiece like LOTR.
    ADM

ADM
    Participant

BTW, I did see the BBC’s version of it, didn’t like it at all, as an adult you can’t seem too appreciate the same things as when you were a kid, and the BBC’s version was just for children and just didn’t have an epic feel that this book gives, maybe because it was for T.V.
    As a kid I remember Godzilla and saturday morning cartoons, well they made a mess of Godzilla, so I guess that other childhood memories like the Narnia chronicles don’t go the same way.
    ADM

ADM
    Participant

Went to see on Wednesday, what a bum-numbing extravaganza, just as good as the first.
    But the main reason I’m posting is that I thought of a another book that would be excellent for a film, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
    Like The Lord of the Rings, the Narnia adventures were done as childrens cartoons, but I think it has some very adult stuff in it, I remember Aslan (The Lion) being brutally tortured (it was quite graphic for a 9 year old), I think the only snag is that is does have a lead cast of kids, which makes it difficult to go beyond that age group….still it’s a very good fantasy story that at times is just as dark as LOTR.
    ADM

Rag
    Participant

Yeah, saw it last night, and I’m still buzzing from it. How good was Gollum? No no no. Much better than that!!! And Helm’s Deep… WOW!!!! Damn good thing I’m going to see it again on Saturday.

As for the Narnia thing… The Beeb (BBC for those who don’t speak Rag) did the first few books a few years back. They ran one each Christmas for a few years. Exceptionally high quality IMHO. I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen the vids about so you should be able to get hold of them if you are that interested. The did ‘The lion..’, ‘Dawn Treader’ and I think ‘A horse and his boy’ (it was a while ago now, and my memory isn’t what it used to be). Don’t expect a similar carnage level to LOTR, it was for kids, but I found it thoroughly entertaining. A real flash back to when I read them as a kid.

While we’re on the subject. Did you know…

There are plans to write sequels (or re-write the originals, not 100% sure which) to the original series. Needless to say there is a certain amount of controversy about this. It appears that they are going to try and ‘Harry Potter’ it. HP is making big bucks and there is plenty of space in the band wagon. I s’pose they could have chosen worse material to do it with.

And…

(it’s really more of the same story) There is talk about making Movie versions of the books. The Lewis estate don’t appear to be too keen on the idea (probably worried that it’ll be ‘Hollywooded’). But you never know… Watch this space.

Rag
    Participant

OK… How behind on the goss am I?

Narnia.com[/url]

You can tell I’m having a busy day at work can’t you…

Rag
    Participant

… and the BBC did the first four books. ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’, ‘Prince Caspian’, ‘The Silver Chair’ and ‘the Voyage of the Dawn Treader’. All available on vid from BBC Worldwide. All available from Amazon at just under a tenner (UKP) each.

Aren’t I full of interesting facts today? (Still dead busy)

Flamegrape
    Participant

Prince Caspian
    by Phish

Oh, to be Prince Caspian afloat upon the waves
    Oh, to be Prince Caspian,
    With nothing to return to but the demons in their caves

Oh, to be Prince Caspian,
    And the children in the fields all sowing seed and chaffing wheat
    Oh, to be Prince Caspian with stumps instead of feet

Oh to be Prince Caspian
    Oh to be Prince Caspian
    Oh to be Prince Caspian

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.