Lyekka vs. Japan

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

I loved this episode. it had all the overtoens of a typical lexx episode and the epic heorics that we only see at the end of a season.

The organ-harvesting monks was great. What were they on, when they thought that one up? At first I was expecting to see a reincarnation of soemone we’ve met before. Someone who really could see into others past lives. The I thought that the master was just trying to get Xev for her body. Well he was, but just for parts.

The Lyekka aspect of the show was also important, but not important enough to devote an entire episode too. Hence the surprising organ monks. Giant Lyekka was killed way too easily. A well placed shot to the head? Come on, shes a plant, a tree can take multiple bullet shots without taking any harm. Surely a 6″ blade couldn’t have done that much damage to something that large. Some could argue that it hit her brain, but she doesn’t have a brain! The asteroid on legs was also a high point.
    Which brings up a better point, maybe the lexx can aim better when he’s not hungry. Before he tried to blow up Miami but hit Orlando instead. This time he hit it right on the mark.
    Despite Lyekka’s best efforts, Stan was not buying into all of her crap. He was resisting her charms toward the end. Stan was questioning her about how she really couldn’t fufill his desires, because she’s smooth around the bend. I think that if Kai hadn’t killed giant Lyekka, Stan would have destroyed Tokyo soon afterward.
    The asteroids weapon was very impressive. Unlike the Mega-shadow which only grazed the lexx, this thing caused some damage. Which is evident by the explosions. Clearly the trin are as technologically advanced as the people of the light zone.

Prince is still a mystery. Why was he encouraging Stan to do the right thing. He never tells people to do the good thing! Maybe Prince wants to destory earth himself?

The scene with Stan throwing junk at 790 was hilarious. For those who didn’t see IWHS or The Dark Zone, it was completely pointless, but for the rest of us, it was classic.

Did anyone else notice that the geeky scientist guy on the news was credited with a Ph.D. some otehr stuff and being part of NAMBLA. (NAMBLA=North American Man-Boy Love Association) Yet another subtle joke from the beans. Also during the end credits, it said that LEXX was filmed at Electropolis Studios Haifax, Nova Scotia Canada and “Japanese Land”.

After watching the epsiode a second time I’m retracting my statement about Stan standing up agaisnt Lyekka

[ 20-04-2002: Message edited by: Headgehog ]

Anonymous

This episode may quite possibly be Jeff H.’s best episode ever. And definitely the best this season. I thought it was great that they kept the first 2/3 as being dialogue heavy and suspense free then packing all the intensity into the final 20 minutes.

I’m was actually yelling at my tv screen telling stan not to believe lyekka.

I think the Prince stuff may be about Stan. Stan’s been on trial twice before so maybe this was just another trial.

Apparently Prince wants Earth around for just a little while longer anyway. But the question is what does he have to lose. He’s stuck in the Other Zone and has no body so he can’t live. He’s less alive than he even was on Fire.

Overall this episode had laughs(including several in-jokes),and some major suspense.

I do agree that Lyekka’s death was too easy…but like divine assasins are very effecient.

Anonymous

I just saw this one. I LOVED it! And I won’t retract the statement that Stan was resisting Lyekka, he was, it was an emotional conflict, more about his love than her being smooth around the bend. Now, I had an odd observance, that had nothing to do with the story arc, why, why ,WHY was Leykka wearing those godawful shoes???
    Also, call me crazy, but I really think that something is growing between Stan and Xev, he is, after all “the Man”

Anonymous

Well I personally disagree hehe. Stan and Xev never gonna happen, she cares for him perhaps even loves him(end of Vlad) but never sexually. Stan was always meant for Lyekka but he knows this is not her. That’s why he could resist her. The real Lyekka probably would never do anything like this but if she did it would be a much more interesting conflict. I wouldent doubt Stan would let her eat Earth if it was the real Lyekka.

Prince gave us direct evidence he is the concept of ‘Satan’ or ‘Antichrist’ as he claimed direct responsibility for whats going on Earth in his first transmission. That’s good but struck me as odd as the Beans never came out so directly.

Kai is also alive for sure…sort of. The Dead do not care about anything. He cared about meditating, had opinions on everything but still has a ways to go. If you noticed in the preview his skin is no longer grey next week Preview didnt give much hope for him either, but he deserves his death and final peace for his soul.

I really liked this ep too. I really wish they had gone the Wisp route with the aliens it would make much more sense to me personally. But its still great

Anonymous

PS

Kai’s reaction to the Japanese Brizon guy was very odd. I wonder if the Brunnin-G had a real deep respect for those so focused in their Buddist ways. Kai also knew what he was for some reason as he explained to the sleeping man that killing the carrot probes would not offend his respect for life.

Just an interesting scene.

Flamegrape
    Participant

This was a good Xev episode! I think the whole bit with the organ-donor monks was a nod towards Xev’s “past life” when she was about to be fed to the organ bank in IWHS.

Also, it was a pivotal episode for Stan. At the beginning of the series, he might have fallen for Lyekka’s trickery. That was what he did in Lyekka’s premier episode of the same name. But now Stan continually questioned whether or not is was right to agree with her. Maybe he unknowingly distracted Lyekka long enough for Kai to do the damage.

It was hilarious when Kai crawled out of her nose. It would have been even better if Xev landed on one of her boobs to pick him up! In any case, it was a great ending for Lyekka.

The special effects in this episode were superb! The blue tinting of the atmospheric coloring of large objects in the distance was perfect.

The goofy-looking laser that popped out of the top of the asteroid was perfect! It was like something out of Mars Attacks!

Anonymous

I am really gonna ****ing miss this show.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

I think the whole bit with the organ-donor monks was a nod towards Xev’s “past life” when she was about to be fed to the organ bank in IWHS.

and the “Master’s” hands in the fingerless gloves made me think of Mantrid drones.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:

and the “Master’s” hands in the fingerless gloves made me think of Mantrid drones.

This episode was *so* chock-full of references to past episodes…Just off the top of my head, Kai’s encounter with the monk was somewhat reminiscent of his cliff moments in “Twilight”; Xev’s being strapped to the table, about to have exploratory surgery take place, and informing the “doctor” that she’s not all human (even to the point of “going Cluster Lizard” and escaping) echoes “Terminal”; Stan bounces items off a 790 drone like in the beginning of “I Worship His Shadow”; Stan and 790 say “Bingo, bongo, dum-dum time,” from “Stan’s Trial”; Lyekkazilla is reminiscent of the Attack of the 50-Foot Wist in “Eating Pattern” (is it coincidence that Doreen Jacobi was intended to be in Louise Wischerman’s place?)…I’m sure there are more. I just can’t think of them right now.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

This episode was *so* chock-full of references to past episodes….

–Aleck

You’re right…I hadn’t quite realized how much there was. But now now that you mention it–Kai crawling out of Lyekka’s nose like Bugbomb and Thodin in “IWHS”, Prince’s weather report is reminiscent of the weather report in “End of the Universe”, the obvious clip from “Vlad”. Anything else?

elmey

Anonymous

What obvious clip from Vlad?
    The carrot menace, obviously, reminds me of Mandrid but one they can do something about. It’d be funny if we saw Dieter Laser come back as the head of the real alien mothership.
    I can’t think of any more previous Lexx episodes, but the asteroid firing at the Lexx reminded me of that scene in Starship Troopers.

Anonymous

Actually, there is a scene where Kai drops into Vlad’s castle in transylvania and retrieves the cryopod control. That scene had to have been shot much earlier, back in May/June of 2001 when those sets were still up. The balance of the episode was shot in late September.

Flamegrape
    Participant

(I posted this message elsewhere but I thought it was worth repeating here…)

The part of the episode with Xev and the monks didn’t make much sense to me at first. I was wondering when Lyekkazilla was going to appear and eat Japaneseland?

Then it occured to me that the cult was a comment about us, the fans! We all knew that this would be the last season. Therefore, we expect grand things at the end, a culmination of “epic” plot lines, little-blue-planet-shaking revelations, the cycle of time coming full circle, etc., etc. The monk on the beach, deep in meditation with the promise of zen wisdom, is kind of like what we fans expect at the end of this series. But nope, the monk was just sleeping because of the horrific effects of prosthetic organ implants! I think this foreshadows the final episode. It won’t be what most of us will expect.

Nonetheless, I thought it was a great Xev episode. Will she ever find happiness? And chalk one up for Stan. He didn’t capitulate instantly to his base desires. He was indecisive, trying to do the right thing.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Giant Lyekka was killed way too easily. A well placed shot to the head? Come on, shes a plant, a tree can take multiple bullet shots without taking any harm. Surely a 6″ blade couldn’t have done that much damage to something that large.

[ 20-04-2002: Message edited by: Headgehog ]

Actually, if you go back to Eating Pattern, that’s how Kai killed the giant Zev in the Queen’s nest before the giant Wist rose up and attached herself to the Lexx – a well-placed brace to the forehead. Only this time, he did it from inside her mouth.

Anonymous

This is in reply to part of Headghog’s initial post. Lexx was not off the money when he destroyed Orlando. He did exactly as Stan told him. This is a bit obsesive but I work with maps all the time and looked up the map of Florida after this episode and the coordiates that Stan gave Lexx were those of Orlando. So even hungry Lexx is accurate.

“The asteroid on legs was also a high point.
    Which brings up a better point, maybe the lexx can aim better when he’s not hungry. Before he tried to blow up Miami but hit Orlando instead. This time he hit it right on the mark.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by qcifan:
    This is a bit obsesive but I work with maps all the time and looked up the map of Florida after this episode and the coordiates that Stan gave Lexx were those of Orlando.

Were these the same coordinates Priest gave him? Or did Stan screw up as usual and misreapeat them?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Warsaw:

What obvious clip from Vlad?

Valdron described it above, just want to add that I think they reused the actual footage of Kai’s landing in the catacomb from “Vlad” and just cut in the scene of him unplugging the control unit at the end. Yeah, yeah, I know, another obsessive fan.

elmey

Anonymous

That sounds quite likely.

Anonymous

Stan screwed up the location. Priest gave him the right co-ordinates. Well done Stan. The Mouse is the main cause of Earth being a type thirteen planet. (Disney World)

Anonymous

quote:

The Mouse is the main cause of Earth being a type thirteen planet. (Disney World)

Can’t disagree with you. Thought I was in “The Prisoner” the whole time I was there.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Stan screwed up the location. Priest gave him the right co-ordinates. Well done Stan. The Mouse is the main cause of Earth being a type thirteen planet. (Disney World)

Don’t they have their own judicial system? I heard they are going to declare independance and become a seperate city-state like the Vatican.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Don’t they have their own judicial system? I heard they are going to declare independance and become a seperate city-state like the Vatican.

They already did. They call it Celebration, Florida.

elmey

Anonymous

You know, I can’t buy into this whole anti-Disney thing. It’s just one of those things that I’ll never be able to comprehend. I used to live 15 miles away from Disneyland, had annual passes, would go every other week, practically. Loved every minute. The criticisms of Disney — generally speaking, that is, not to paint anyone posting here in a negative light — seem to spring from the notion that something that so many people actively enjoy just *has* to be suspect. That mass-marketed forms of entertainment *must* be evil, while “indie”-tagged entertainment must be inherently good. It’s the kind of attitude that “locals” often have toward “tourists” in any city with heavy tourism. Which boils down to snobbery, plain and simple.

I love Disney — its films, its theme parks, hell, I’d even live in Celebration given the chance. I find the whole thing worthwhile on a multitude of levels.

So there.

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

I love Disney — its films, its theme parks, hell, I’d even live in Celebration given the chance. I find the whole thing worthwhile on a multitude of levels.

So there.

–Aleck

I loathe most all Disney films with few exception. They’re working their way through all the fairy tales and twisting them. The cutsey crap makes me sick. Etc., etc.,

Several years ago I heard that assualts and rapes that occured in Disneyland went unreported and unpunished because they didn’t want people to know that anything horrible happened there. Maybe that situation has changed. I don’t care, I’m still not going. Driving through the half-dozen expensive toll booths just to get from one part of the state to another was enough for me.

There is something about Disney that is a big lie. And oh yeah. None of their cartoons are funny.

bonnee
    Participant

For the record : Umberto Eco on Disneyland – Hyperreality, or where the simulation surpasses (replaces, stands for) the truth
    http://www.transparencynow.com/eco.htm

[ 25-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    For the record : Umberto Eco on Disneyland – Hyperreality, or where the simulation surpasses (replaces, stands for) the truth

Neither Disneyland nor Walt Disney World either intend to replace or stand for the “truth.” They are fantasy, pure and simple. The problem is that this is viewed as a “bad” thing. It is viewed as a “big lie” when *all* fantasy and entertainment is a big lie. Because Disney has successfully transcended the cinematic medium and replicated the cinematic experience in their parks, they are lambasted for promoting artifice over “truth.” Of course, it’s all artificial. It’s a freakin’ movie come to life. It’s never been anything other, nor has it claimed to be, nor do I see any reason why this is inherently bad — anyone who gets disappointed in “real life” because it doesn’t act like a Disney park is likely the same kind of person who gets disappointed that there aren’t dinosaurs running around on tropical isles after seeing Jurassic Park or can’t comprehend why drinking a certain brand of beer doesn’t make him or her attractive to the opposite sex. The admonition, however, the parks being a movie in three dimensions, is that if you don’t like Disney’s films, you won’t like their parks. Simple as that. Subjective tast is like that. Ain’t nobody forcing you to like The Lion King or ride The Haunted Mansion, though.

The reports of unreported assaults and rapes occuring at Disneyland (I can’t speak with any experience with WDW, not having lived near it) are greatly exaggerated. There have been occasional mishandlings of criminal acts, as there have been *anywhere* there are criminal acts, and it’s true that they have tried to keep these incidents out of the attention of the other park visitors — as would *any* tourist attraction. There have been accidents involving rides (though many are simply unsubstantiated urban legend, and the actual accidents are relatively few in number), but the vast majority of them are due to idiocy on the part of members of the public. When an accident takes place that the parks *are* responsible for, it makes the news. It’s not covered up. It’s just the fact that the parks are *so* cinematically choreographed that immediately makes their their handling of ugly incidents seem sinister, when if the same thing happened at, say, a Six Flags park or Sea World, no one would raise an eyebrow. If Disney holds someone conducting a criminal act in custody, it’s said that they have their own “jails” and “judicial system,” but if the local supermarket or department store nabs a shoplifter and security holds him/her in the back room for a few hours (all the while, no doubt, trying to do this without raising the suspicions of or alarming the shoppers), it’s just standard operating procedure. It’s a double standard.

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

Well, whatever. If you like Disney films, etc., Then have fun at Disney Land/World. I just think their whole franchise is lame. And I laughed with glee when the Lexx blew it up.

Anonymous

quote:

The criticisms of Disney — generally speaking, that is, not to paint anyone posting here in a negative light — seem to spring from the notion that something that so many people actively enjoy just *has* to be suspect. That mass-marketed forms of entertainment *must* be evil, while “indie”-tagged entertainment must be inherently good.

Hey Aleck–I can’t believe you think there’s cultural elitists hanging out here! Look at us, we’re all glued to our TV sets wallowing in shows with no redeeming social value and then spend our spare time discussing the color of Xev’s underwear and other such weighty topics.

However, I don’t want to read any of the spoiler threads and I have LOTS of opinions on this topic so I think I’ll spend some time here. Warning: This may take a while.

I think we’re to some extent talking about different things regarding Disney. I do think one can make a distinction between individual Disney entertainment products–some of which are classics, and today’s Disney Corporation which is often a promoter of a very cynical and basically dishonest vision of American life. Disney World is a symbol of that. So when Lexx spends Season 4 satirizing modern society, Disney World became a funny target. It has nothing to do with “low” or “high” culture or despising the popular.

I loved watching Disney cartoons and the animated movies as a kid. I learned to read with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck comics (you don’t think my parents would actually buy me Marvel comics do you?). Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge STILL make me laugh. If I could have picked any place in the world to visit when I was young it would have been Disneyland.

OK, I never made it to Disneyland. I’ve always assumed it was a giant amusement park with Disney themes. That’s great, I like amusement parks. You obviously know it well and love it.

However I did make it to Disney World. First time for a conference in ’94 or ’95, and again a couple of years later. No preconceived notions, I figured it would be fun.
    I’m sorry, but it gave me the creeps.
    I know other people like it and not everyone sees big white balloon things hovering just around the corner.

But Celebration goes further, by selling you a life style, not just a vacation environment. It pretends that it will give you the real small-town America, and you’re right: the underlying premise is that you can live in a “Disney movie”. But it’s not harmless; the corollary is that you’ll be protected from real American life, no ethnics or foreigners or people who are different in this town. And all you have to give up are the true values of America: self-government and self-determination. Yes, your neighbors won’t be able to let their lawn go to weed or paint their house lavender like those jerks down the street did last year: homebuyers in Celebration sign a “Declaration of Covenants” which dictates everything from how many garage sales you can have per year to what kind of plants you can have in your yard to how many people can occupy a single bedroom–no more than two!! (what is that about?)

Celebration residents (and this is designed as a town of 20,000 people) have no elected representation, the town is run by a Town Manager, an unelected position filled by an appointee from Celebration’s governing board, which is run by Disney. Actually I think Disney has started to cut down on their involvement in the project the last few years as the people living in Celebration actually began to evolve into a community and started causing trouble and making real life demands such as a say in how the public school was run.

You can say Disney is just allowing people to make the choice to live like that. That’s true. But it is a very nasty combination of pseudo nostalgia and forced conformity in the guise of safety, American values and community, blah, blah. There’s got to be a better way to move into the 21st century. To me Celebration is a conscious subversion of America’s real ideals just because you can make a few bucks by pandering to people’s fears and confusion. Of course we could say that the only American ideal left is to make money, but I haven’t really descended to that dark an outlook yet.

And I’m telling you I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE MOUSE PERSONALLY. Although I never did like that hick Goofy. Ayuh, ayuh.

elmey

[ 26-04-2002: Message edited by: elmey ]

bonnee
    Participant

Aleck, obviously you’re not convinced by an ‘elitist’ like Eco. I’ll try another suggestive approach. Presumably your familiar with the name Baudrillard – if not from cultural theory, then certainy from the Matrix ( Reeves opens a hollowed out copy of Baudrillard’s Simulacra and Simulation early in the film, acting as a sign to the film’s own theme of Simulacra and Simulation ). He is a cultural critic who (amongst other things) collapses the distinction between high and low culture, truth and falsehood, etc via the notion of hyperreality. Disneyland is cited as simulacra, where the process of simulation may become simulacrum (matrix). To quote one of the articles cited below

Disneyland is Baudrillard’s perfect model, the ‘true’ profile of the United States:

“…a digest of the American way of life, panegyric to American values, idealized transposition of a contradictory reality.” (Baudrillard, p172)

Disneyland is the real America. (9)The image of Disneyland is presented to make us believe that the rest is real. Disney land represents the icons of a bygone America. These icons are represented as cartoons
    and in caricature so that outside America can look real. America is no longer reality, it is the hyperreality, a substitution of the signs of the real
    for the real itself. Disneyland is masking the absence of a reality. However, if Disneyland is the ‘real,’ then the real is being simulated.

Baudrillard’s Adventures in Disneyland
    http://www.uoregon.edu/~ucurrent/1.1.html
    http://65.107.211.206/cpace/theory/rodwell/story.html

http://www.victorianweb.org/cpace/politics/wodtk e/Baudrillard.html

[ 26-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    Aleck, obviously you’re not convinced by an ‘elitist’ like Eco.

And it’s important that I be “convinced” for some reason? Is it just too disturbing that I hold an opinion different from your own for some reason, that I must be convinced to hold the same opinion? Is it so important that there be no views conflicting to your own? For the record, I was not trying to “convince” anyone of anything — just merely stating my opinion. You, however, in using the term “convince,” lay bare that you are trying to shift certain reality tunnels until they fully mesh with your own.

Forgive me if I’m incorrect about this, but I tend to take offense at people who presume to tell me that my opinion is, somehow, “wrong” and that I should be presented with endless parroting of texts in order to “convince” me of my wrongness.

It’s only one half-step away from being accosted by born-again Christians in the street on the annoyance scale.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

I have to confess to being puzzled by your response Aleck : suggestive was the operative term here. I wasn’t trying to convince you of anything other than the possibility of looking at something in a different light (other people’s convictions) – ‘parrotting’ texts (something you’ve accused me of before) is simply citing other ways of seeing, often in conflict with each other and not neccessarily endorsed by me (other than as offering another way of seeing something). I don’t think your ‘wrong’, just like I don’t the people I’m citing are ‘right’. Just sharing back, that’s all. The cited texts (hopefully) speak back to you in a way I wouldn’t presume to. Calling such approach ‘parroting’, though, is just odd – being a parrot (repeating what we’ve learnt) is how people broaden their horizons in so far as it encourages thinking about our own thoughts. Citing source material is simply an instance of drawing upon what passes for ‘knowledge’. I’ve stated previously that my background is the problem of knowledge – you should already know by now that it is not my aim to ‘convert’ you to any way of thinking, because ‘parroting’ (uncritical acceptance of something) is part of the problem.

Tree of Knowledge

[ 26-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

theFrey
    Participant

Why? Can’t a person have a differing opinion? I have a very close relative who pulls a similar sort of crap on me. Let me tell you, the fact that I have an opinion of my own, *does not* mean that my understanding is inferior. Nor is bombarding me with your opinion presented in many different lights multiple times until my ears bleed going to succeed. The kind of people who use this approach feel that if they can explain it in a way that I (with my obviously limited mental powers) can understand. Then eventually, I will make the right decision or have the right opinion. Theirs. In other words, when I *finally* agree with them, then, and only then do I *properly* understand the situation. Let me tell you what an unattractive behavior pattern this is. I do suggest it be avoided at all costs

Anonymous

Twas a good, decent episode. I liked “Trip” much better, but it was nice to see Prince again and that news broadcaster was funny. Also that “monk” saying that his “poopshoot” was sewn up cracked me up because I did not expect it. Did anyone else think that Prince kinda knew that something bigger was gonna happen? Stan finally stuck up for himself!

theFrey
    Participant

I did think that the graphics accompaning Prince’s weather report were a scream.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Why? Can’t a person have a differing opinion? I have a very close relative who pulls a similar sort of crap on me. Let me tell you, the fact that I have an opinion of my own, *does not* mean that my understanding is inferior. Nor is bombarding me with your opinion presented in many different lights multiple times until my ears bleed going to succeed. The kind of people who use this approach feel that if they can explain it in a way that I (with my obviously limited mental powers) can understand. Then eventually, I will make the right decision or have the right opinion. Theirs. In other words, when I *finally* agree with them, then, and only then do I *properly* understand the situation. Let me tell you what an unattractive behavior pattern this is. I do suggest it be avoided at all costs

thefrey, I’m not sure why you felt the need to parrot Aleck’s text, especially since i went to great lengths to address the misapprehension repeated in your own response. Not only am I not denying anyone the right to their own opinion, I ‘m sharing knowledge on differing viewpoints irrespective of the question of who should be thought ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ (The two opinions cited are not in agreement with each other, despite the similar use of the term ‘hypperreal’. Further, these viewpoints contain logical problems that I didn’t draw attention too for the simple reason that validity is not the issue here). In other words, I’m invoking the very principle you purport to be defending – regarding both the possibility and desirability of having and/or sharing different opinions. My belief – in so far as I can believe anything – is that having and/or sharing an opinion, whether it is similar or different to another – is what makes understanding anything really interesting and exciting. I can’t presume to speak for your close relative, but my aim is NOT to secure a consensus, make someone think like me, start an argument or invalidate alternate ways of seeing. It is simply to acknowledge the reality of other viewpoints – whatever I may or may not think of them – and encourage the possibility of alternating between them if so desired. As for your suggestion that such an approach is unattractive, I can’t be held responsible for the fact that you and Aleck may or may not be attracted to other viewpoints.

[ 27-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

theFrey
    Participant

Bonne, when someone states that they like the mouse, and people continue to try to convince them otherwise repeatedly then it is not merely the stating of their opinion. If it was a case of merely stating your opinion, you would say something along the lines of “Well the reason’s I dislike the mouse are…..”
    But when you start the thread off with “Aleck, obviously you’re not convinced by an ‘elitist’ like Eco. I’ll try another suggestive approach.” I would did not take it merely the stating of you opinion, but another attempt to convince Aleck, after he has already said “I love Disney ect……” So please feel free to state you opinions, but perhaps not starting them with the “Aleck…. I’ll try another suggestive approach.” Would be best, then other people, like myself, would not think it was yet another attempt to make Aleck see the error of his ways.
    Oh and while I have never been to Disneyland and have taken exception to several of the recent mangling of classic stories in the Disney grist mill, if Aleck likes the company and the movies I say bravo Aleck. After all if everyone liked the same stuff this would be a pretty boring world.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Why not move this discussion to another thread. Like in the Pub, maybe? Not exactly Lexx-related.

FX
    Participant

or we could get back to lyekka vs japan
    in general, threads tend to meander around a bit as one person picks up on a stray comment and runs with it,that is what makes the threads interesting, but this one may well have dried up… let’s see where it goes and either restart here or move to pub or angst or wherever…

Anonymous

I noticed Stan sleeping while on the pedestal on the bridge when Prince woke him up. He has not done that in many episodes. There’s another full circle bit.

bonnee
    Participant

An excellent episode – despite all the self and genre referencing, this stood proud and tall on its own. Not sure about Lyekka indulging her carnivore appetites on metal helicoptors, but what the hey when almost everything else was so striking and successful on every other level. This still has me thinking about it 20 minutes after I watched it, which is more than can be said about the bulk of the other season 4 episodes I forgot about as I was watching them. Interesting that two directors were credited, although its not to hard to imagine who did what. Will want to watch this again (and possibly again) prior to the season final downunder next week. yo way yo.

Anonymous

Hate to turn the apple cart, but I disagree. I didn’t much like it, which is unusual for me. Part of it seemed like an earthy version of Nook, the bit about the monks and that and their idea of a good life and also the fact that I didn’t see any women, which Nook also didn’t have.
    The removal of organs bit reminded me of Mort, and the rampage through Tokyo reminded me of Godzilla.
    The last few eps of Lexx – with the exception of Trip – seem to be copies of other films. That is disappointing to me.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.