Major Server Hack

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

We’ve lost a 1000+ messages from the forums yesterday. Not sure why this has happened, but it’s due I think to a security problem that has happened with the servers in London.

It was reported on Thursday that someone had broken in and butchered a number of the server sites on the Cobalt NS2 and NS3 servers and that engineers would be sorting out the problem on Friday evening and during this weekend.

The server admin passwords were compromised (not mine – about three levels up from me), and some damage has been caused.

Since I heard that news I have lost FTP access and the LEXX and Moderator forums have been purged. I’m still trying to work out what has happened and why (if someone did it on purpose) the board has been attacked in this way.

I have taken the LEXX and moderator forums off line until the problem has been sorted out.
    I’ll keep you posted with regular updates as I find out what is going on.

——————

Anonymous

UPDATE:

I can access some of the threads in the damaged forums through my browser and can probably therefore re-build the database.

Unfortunately, I can’t take a backup of the threads because FTP access has been withdrawn while this security problem is being sorted out. As soon as I can get into the site, I’ll make a backup and rebuild the forums. Hopefully that will sort everything out.

I’m sorry this has happened, with any luck it will be fixed soon (depending on how quickly the server dickheads can return the mirriad of phone messages that thousands of angry site owners have left for them).

——————

Anonymous

The server dickheads changed the site administrators access details and this was the reason for SadBOARD going down for a few hours. Their incompetance astounds me!

Welp they gave me a new username and password for ftp and guess what, it doesn’t work.

In the end, the only way I could get the board back up was to hack into the server myself. Unfortunately, the FTP server is completely inaccessible to me (no matter how much I try). It looks like it will now be Monday before the SadBOARD missing threads can be resolved.

——————

Christine Carroll
    Participant

Oh God!!!! No Boards!!! No Posts!! How can I get through the Weekend !!! This is such torcher!!!! I hope everything gets fixed soon !! Man.. If I could I would personally kick the ass or asses of the people who hacked this WONDERFUL site !!! ( you know I would’nt be surprised if it was someone like Spite Smith, sorry but I’m really sore at that guy !!)

Anyway I hope the Boards are up and running soon !!! There my Lifes Blood!!

Sad I’m so sorry that this had to happen to you and everyone else!!

——————
    “to air is human” or is it “the air is human” ?? matt Gideon “Crusade”

“Look for me by the moonlight-
    Watch for me by moonlight-

I’ll come to thee by the moonlight,

though Hell should bar the way”

——-The Highwayman

Excerpt from “Exquisite Corpse” by Poppy Brite

“Late in the year,New Orleans still has its hot days. In the slave quaters, Jay and Tran blossomed like the giant stinking carrion-flowers that grow in humid jungles. Their ravaged abdomens swelled and burst like red-petals, a jubliee of rot. Their putrescent fluids pooled on the concrete floor and in the hollows of their disintegrating bodies. …Their faces, c**** and B**** grew into shapeless masses of blackened flesh. Swollen tongues like ball gags forced their jaws wide. Organs tumbled out of their bodies like distended winebags. From their decomposition rose wisps of steam and soft wet sounds of gaseous intimacy….Tran fell out of his binding straps and melted slowly into Jay’s ribcage. A large, faintly iridescent stain ate up the concrete floor around them. Their eyes were black caverns.They gave birth to worms, generation after generation, until their bodies were covered as if in a living blanket. Soon they were picked clean, their bones an ivory sculpture-puzzle shining in the dark, waiting to tell their mute love story.

Anonymous

Oh, that just figures! Rat bastards all! I sat there (‘cuz I rarely sleep) watchin’ the board disintegrate as I tried posting and then I couldn’t even post anymore, not using my password, anyway. Sad, it really looks like someone’s attacking your site. I mean, this is twice, right? Some angry, jealous, dweeb is actually targeting you? In the street, you know how to handle things like this but what the hell do ya do about it in cyberspace???? Aren’t there like, cybercops or something? I never understand this whole hacker/cracker crap. I mean, if you’re smart enough to do this, why not just do something constructive, instead of being an utter a@@hole!?! ARGH! It tears me that I can’t do anything, except hope you can find out how to fix it, Sad G.
    This is truly suckage most foul.

*******************BlackCloud****************

Anonymous

By the by, uh, what does FTP stand for? Cobalt NS2, NS3? These different parts of the same server or does this mean someone attacked a bunch of servers in London? And, is it a crime to do stuff like this over there? Or, do officials only get ticked off if their stuff gets futzed around with?

*******************BlackCloud****************

Anonymous

Yep… MAJOR SUCKAGE!

quote:

Originally posted by NuageNoir:
    By the by, uh, what does FTP stand for?

File Transfer Protocol (how I upload files to the site).

Cobalt NS2, NS3? These different parts of the same server or does this mean someone attacked a bunch of servers in London? And, is it a crime to do stuff like this over there? Or, do officials only get ticked off if their stuff gets futzed around with?

Cobalt NS2 and NS3 are servers on the same system run by a company in London. I guess it’s illegal over here to hack into stuff like that, but if yer good enough to do it, then yer prolly good enough not to get caught.

I’m almost positive that it wasn’t someone that aimed at the SG Guide. If someone really wanted to hurt this site they could have done MUCH more. It was more like a serious security breach in London and the server maintainance dickheads had a ‘kneejerk’ reaction and shut off all access for the sites on these servers (there are prolly hundreds of websites on NS2 and NS3).

Anyway – just noticed that I have FTP back, so I’ll backup the Bulletin Board and have a go at getting back the forum messages.

Wish me luck ๐Ÿ™‚

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited February 18, 2001).]

Anonymous

holy freaking crapcakes! i turn my back for one measly day to head south to look for a job and sunshine and the board goes down!aaargh! and i actually have access to a dsl line to play on! sheesh, sad i do not envy you cleanup on this particularly smelly mess, love and luck to you and many pints of lager

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    holy freaking crapcakes! i turn my back for one measly day to head south to look for a job and sunshine and the board goes down!aaargh! and i actually have access to a dsl line to play on! sheesh, sad i do not envy you cleanup on this particularly smelly mess, love and luck to you and many pints of lager

Aww sweetie!

The cleanup was depressing as hell! I managed to get most of the deleted stuff back, but unfortunately, your LEXX Episodes Forum was the most damaged (most of the damage was done because html posts were deleted not database files). Unfortunately all the Episodes threads were deleted and the anly reason that there are some there now is that I had done a backup a few weeks ago – I was due to do another next week

When I’d finally finished rebuilding the SadBOARD I almost weapt to see that your forum lost nearly 250 post!

It’s 5.10 am and there’s nothing more I can do.

Except for the terrible loss of messages from the LEXX Episodes Forum, the SadBOARD is now up and running again.

——————

Anonymous

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Aww sweetie!

The cleanup was depressing as hell!
    It’s 5.10 am and there’s nothing more I can do.

yeah sad i was keeping track of the times on your posts and i knew you were pulling several allnighter’s trying to get this sorted out, if we ever meet i will buy you several rounds for your truly heroic efforts…nobody could have done more and i hope you are taking a well earned rest since tomorrow is back to work for you after a particularly nightmarish weekend…love to you and newkate, i am going to go assume the fetal position and suck my thumb for awhile, my poor little forum is depressing me right now…i’ll nurse it back into a walk rather than a limp later today…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.