Member Rated – Good or bad?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Announcements/New Stuff Member Rated – Good or bad?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’m of two minds whether to take off the Member Rated feature. I can’t honestly say that it is useful and in some ways it could be used quite negatively.

I’m thinking of taking the feature off the site – unless anyone here objects.

What do you think?

[ 24-09-2001: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    I’m of two minds whether to take off the Member Rated feature. I can’t honestly say that it is useful and in some ways it could be used quite negatively.

What do you think?

I agree that I don’t really see any usefulness in having it, unless some members need to have their ego gratified by seeing a good rating next to their name. If this were a site where people were buying things from (or trading with) other members, I could see some sense in using it as a way to say “this guy/gal is trustworthy,” but it doesn’t really serve any function here. And, as you said, it can be used in a really negative way, as a fairly faceless way of insulting someone for no good reason.
    So, while I don’t really feel strongly one way or another about it, I’m leaning toward taking it down.

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

What do you think?

I would like to know why I was given a rating of 4 out of 5. What did I do to deserve a less than perfect rating? I’ll never know, will I? So what good is this rating system? Ever since I received this 4 rating I’ve felt slighted, if not insulted.

You see, after receiving this rating I started to make guesses about who voted in this manner and why they might have done it. What did I do to offend anyone? But if I ever find out who voted for me in this way, I would start to treat them differently.

Or I could just leave this bboard, never to return. This is what I did when I was severly punished after I commited a minor infraction (clearly meant as a small joke) in Sparkla’s chat room. What was done to me was harsh and unfair and I flatly refuse to discuss it any further. I only bring the incident up as an example of how internet communication can be used as a form of abuse.

Or I could start whining about getting rid of this rating system. I have not made one complaint about it at all until this point. By bringing up the subject myself, it would only make me look worse. My less-than-perfect rating would be publicly regarded as proper. In fact, I think my complaints about the fascist chat room may have given me my current rating.

To sum it up, it’s a form of BLACKBALLING. This is a practice that is used in college fraternities and secret societies. I beleive that it has no place here.

Thank you.

Anonymous

That’s a very good argument against FG!

I can’t imagine why someone would vote you down, the only reason that I am a five star (besides being so ****ing cool) is because I voted myself a five

I just noticed JumpingJedi has managed a two stars, prolly after the joke about LEXX season 5. (I can’t say it didn’t make me giggle a bit though )

Anyone else have any comments before I take the facility off?

Anonymous

Oki

It’s gone.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Very good. Thank you, sir!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Very good. Thank you, sir!

sorry i’m late on this, but i agree saddy, it seems lord of the flies/survivorish to me for the reasons already stated…i love talking to people here, and when i have a problem i just tell them so…and i know you didn’t mean it as negative at all, i am just supersensitive to that sort of thing…so for what it’s worth , you got my vote too…love fx

Anonymous

I’m fine either way but my perfectly cultivated ego would probably say otherwise.

Anonymous

Wise decision, Oh Great One.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.