Members VS Guests.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fatguy
    Participant

It has been stated in another thread that we are only guests in Sadgeezers house….. I thought were were members ๐Ÿ™„ . This was brought up by more than one “member” with regard to active participation in policy making at this site.

Personally – if it were my site – I would like to have members that thought they had a stake in it. Guests come and leave and then you are there by yourself….. Sadgeezer asks members to participate in building the site’s database. Even posting fanfic and stories and such, become the property of Sadgeezer’s – what do the members get back. Well…..they get exposure, even if the story would not get exposure from a publisher (if it is not censored before anyone gets to see it…..). But I also think they deserve a say in some of the day to day workings of the site.

Of course this is just my opinion. Comments?

Anonymous

Hmmm…. I’m not quite sure how peeps don’t get a say already?! I mean, guests and members can provide as much feedback and input as they like. We always take notice and the site looks the way it does today as a direct result of the comments made by visitors and members alike.

This website’s popularity is conditional on the number of visits. If the site is crap then they will not come! As it stands, this site is one of the worlds largest sci fi sites and yet is run from a small house in Preston, England by a cult TV sci fi sadgeezer and a few dedicated mods and admins around the world with no vested interest in the site other than their dedication in making a cult TV sci fi community. This site costs money to run, we don’t make anything from it.

Lets see, what else…. oh yes, you’ve just demonstrated how seriously we take feedback having posted a message in this forum. (And the reason that it’s a usergroup forum – ie. you have to register to be a member of the forum) is that although we are open to all feedback, this place is intended to MAKE policy for the site and is therefore limited to use by people who feel strongly enough to take the time to register and join the group (it sort of ads weight to their comments).

And so, yours is a very general post – I don’t know what else we can do to improve the site! Do you have any specific comments?

On the subject of intellectual property, I extend protection of copyright (and responsibility where appropriate) to all material that does not display a copyright notice. The reason for this is that I will actively persue and infringement of copyright abuse by other sites and make sure that prperty is recognised by the original author (if I can). If you placed a copyright notice at the bottom of each of your messages, it would indicate that you would be prepared to do this yourself. Pretty obvious really!!

Also, and I’m more than a little peeved by your comment, we seriously try to make sure that people get the recognition they deserve for each of their submissions so much so that a submission will be refused if it does not have a copyright statement at the bottom (eg. checkout any of the reviews that have been submitted – there are a few hundred and ALL contain copyright footnotes!

Fatguy, all this is obvious and has been stated in all sorts of threads and notices since the site was set up 7 years ago. Your comments in this and other threads seem ill considered and, in some cases, trollish! Please be a little more specific and considerate in future otherwise you are in danger of not being taken seriously.

Fatguy
    Participant

Actually; I had to read my post again to see what you were seeing, and yes, now I see that perhaps my wording was not as well chosen as it could have been. It was the last gasp of my attempt to get interest in a constitution for this site.

Unlike many web sites that are off-shoots of larger enterprises; Sadgeezer is an independent entity. I just thought a simple consolidation of previously posted material – could be melded into one concise document that would express all that the web site was about. I thought the advantages would be the saving of time making decisions on most of the day to day problems that plague large web sites. However, like I said in the thread regarding censorship; I will consider this issue closed and will no longer pursue it.

Maurice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Discussion Forum Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.