message board awards

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub message board awards

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

well its nearly the new year so i thought it would be cool i we did some awards for things that were good (or bad) this year on the board. Ive come up with some catogrys please vote on who (what) you think should win.

1 best new sifi show or siries
    2 worst new sifi show or siries
    3 best sifi book
    4 best sifi movie

5 best non sifi newcomer (show, seiries, book, movie anything that arived this year)

6 nicest sadgeezer
    7 most anoying geezer
    8 best moderator

sadgeezer is not eliagable for the above awards as he is going to be inaugerated into the perfect geezer hall of fame as its first member

9 best forum (not necicerialy one that is still here)
    10 best post (with its poster if pos)

please leave your vote below you dont have to vote in every catorgary and when i come back after cristmass i will count out the votes and anouce the winners (this should be fun i wonder who will be most anoying)

Anonymous

oh reasons why would me much apreciated as would surgestions for other catogres

Anonymous

i guess ill just have to start this off then

1 farscape -its farscape
    2 andromeda- its become hurcules in space (well more so)

5 the osbornes (that was the begining of this year right?)

8 marybeth -she made sure i was ok with posts about beka cos i might of got confused about it and offended

9 the pub!
    10- who ever came up with the original what not to read before going to bed post it created many laugths tears and screams!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, I’ll give this a try, and this is by no means a definitive list.

1. Best new sci-fi show or series:
    This isn’t really new, but then I’m stuck in some strange time-warp or quantum paradox or something (or maybe I just miss flower power), so I consider anything to be new, or at least newish that’s more recent than about 1978:
    LEXX! It doesn’t take itself too seriously, and has plenty of dark humour and risque comedy.

2. Worst new sci-fi show or series: Battlestar Galactica 1980 (see above post). What were they thinking? Though I’ve got to admit that Adama had a pretty cool beard in this “sequel” series.

3. Best sci-fi book: 1984. It’s not exactly sci-fi in a sense, but it remains the ultimate dystopian novel, and is an excellent cautionary tale that remains relevant. Sure some of his “predictions” may have been off, but who could have accurately predicted in the 40’s the success of Cyndi Lauper? Still, the glaring omission of big hair from his novel was totally unforgivable.

4. Best sci-fi movie: Brazil and Clockwork Orange are tied. Both are funny at times (Brazil most of the time) and disturbing at times (Clockwork Orange is a very disturbing film). I’ve always liked black comedies, and Brazil also wonderfully spoofs 1984 (particularly with the opening scene).

5. Best non sci-fi newcomer (show, series, book, movie, anything that arived this year):
    Canada’s ratification of the Kyoto accord!

6. Nicest Sadgeezer: Isn’t Sadgeezer and nice an oxymoron? (nudge nudge)

7. Most annoying Sadgeezer: Is there any other kind? Gosh, it’s so hard to pick a winner in this category. (wink wink)

8. Best moderator: ME! I’m always the best at moderating my own actions. (say no more!)

9. Best forum (not necessarily one that is still here): Can it be one that doesn’t exist yet? I vote for The Prisoner forum as the best one! The Zardoz forum comes in second. But seriously, all the forums are good, at least all the ones I post in (I make a good forum great!) If I have to choose one, then I’ll go with General TV SciFi stuff.

10. Best post (with its poster if possible): Well, I’m biassed, so it would have to be one of mine. As to my specific post, I don’t know, it’s so hard to choose, they’re all great! (j/k)

Suggestions for other categories. Like I mentioned in another thread, and sorry if this comes across as tooting my own horn (yeah, I know I blow) I did my own Vote contest over at Lexx.com, and there are lots of ideas there: Vote!

But I liked this one, so I’ll reprint it here (slightly edited):

quote:

Attention: Calling all bored Geezers and Sad cases!
    Subject: The Happy Face Awards™

I present to you the “Happy Face and Other Faces Awards™”! Here you can choose the posts that made you the saddest , made you the gladdest , made you the maddest , made you think “Cool” , made you roll your eyes and drool, tickled your silly bone , or tickled your Mr. Winky “the boner” bone .

So please get on board and cast your votes! And remember: If voting is not a right, then it’s just plain wrong!

BTW, I originally used all of the graemlins here, but gremlins are mischievous, so I can understand that you have a limit for them (8). (A few more winky faces are really required for this post to work though, and what’s an Awards event without mentioning “the post that made you go “eek” the most?)

Here’s another idea as it is the holiday season, who here would make the best Santa Clause?

But Becka, I really like your contest just the way it is!

(Hope I’m now under the emoticon limit so I can post this!)

Logan

P.S. I would like to say that there are many, many people I like and respect here, so it’s hard to choose just one, and if I list a few I know that I’ll miss some people that I’ll regret not having mentioned later. Oh, and the only person who really irritates me is myself. It is an honour to be a member of the SadGeezer crew!

[ 19-12-2002: Message edited by: Logan ]

Rag
    Participant

You’ve gotta bare in mind that I am one of the underprivelidged masses with extreemly limited access to Sky (falling upon the mercy of my friends to see Angel and Buffy (when finally aired)), so what I consider new won’t ring true to a lot of you (jeez, I’ve only just seen the first 2 Lexx Movies)

So here goes…

1 Best New Sci-fi series – Gotta be Farscape. Damn wierd at the mo, but definately the best on UK terrestrial at present.

2 Worst New Sci-fi series – (Not wishing to like like I just cut and pasted Bekka’s votes) Andromeda. I think Gene slipped when he invented this Donkey. What, was he watching ‘Buck Rogers in the 25th century’ and decided that blatent rip off are the sincerest form of flattery? (Apologies to the die hard Rommy fans)

3 Best Sci-fi book – Just re-read Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin. Damn good book. Always makes me laugh. Possibly not the ‘best’, but the only other Sci-fi book I’ve been reading this year is Ian Banks ‘Whatchamcallit of Weapons’ and haven’t got to the end of chapter 2 yet.

4 Best Sci-fi movie – May not be the best, but I was bowled over by the Final Fantasy movie. Visually stunning. And refreshingly different to the ‘formula’ sci-fi

5 Best non Sci-fi newcomer/thing – (I’m taking blatant liberties with this one, cos you could argue it is Sci-fi) The best ‘new thing’ I discovered this year is this site (which I found when looking for buffy forums, so I say it counts). Well layed out and moderated, well thought out and structured posts on topics that interest me, and none of the immaturity that is rife on so many sites. For this you all have me thanks. Yeah, I know this makes me a smarmy suck up, but I’ve been called worse

6 Nicest Sadgeezer – Um… all of you? Again with the smarmy ****e… But everyone here is, at their best, open and friendly and at worst, tolerant (everybody has their off days). Only one person has successfully T’d me off, and that was on a day I was in a bad mood, and it was only the once. I’d call that pretty damn good.

7 Most Annoying geezer – Mmm… Let me see. Who has been a major topic recently and upset a lot of people? Nope, the name escapes me. Next question.

8 Best Moderator – My contact with Mods has been limited, and I dunno what they do behind the scenes… But FX (for his delicate phrasing when shifting one of my posts), Marybeth (for always having a kind word when required) and Camelyn (for all the work in keeping us up to date in the Farscape crisis) warrant special mention. Respect goes to all involved though, including Saddy, who was IMHO unfairly excluded from this award (never mind mate, we still love ya).

9 Best Forum – How can you judge between them. A forum is only as good as the posts in it, and we all post in many. If you want to count it by which one I go into most often… it’d be the pub. Once again, web surfing reflecting life . Saying that, I am dead chuffed about the Science Faction forum.

10 Best Post – Again… I cannot choose. There are so many good posts on such diverse subjects. And picking just one post would make all the others feel sad. I won’t do that to them this close to Christmas. They’re all great!!

Have a great Christmas people. And I look forward to building on the new freindships (I hope I’m not being presumptuous) I’ve found, in the New Year (p.s. if I don’t get a birthday greeting I’ll be miffed. No more heavy hints, promise)

ADM
    Participant

8 Best Moderator – My contact with Mods has been limited, and I dunno what they do behind the scenes… But FX (for his delicate phrasing when shifting one of my posts),

Rag me ol china, FX is of the female variety, and a very nice looking one at that (I’ve seen the pics)!!!
    ADM

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rag:

****!!! Soz FX. Still easy mistake to make. Those female variety geezers are getting everywhere these days.

Cheers for the heads up mate. So where are these photos then? It would be nice to put faces to names, and avoid similar slip ups in the future

FX put some up when she and a few other’s went to Salter Street to see the last of Lexx being done, don’t know if they are still up though.
    You’ll have to ask her, mind you after what I’ve said she’ll probably say no!!!
    ADM

Anonymous

quote:

including Saddy, who was IMHO unfairly excluded from this award (never mind mate, we still love ya).

everyone loves saddy- thats why i gave him his own award (perfect geezer) and partly because everyone would just vote for saddy and no one else would get a look in (i mean whoes gonna cross the boss? )

Rag
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ADM:
    Rag me ol china, FX is of the female variety, and a very nice looking one at that (I’ve seen the pics)!!!
    ADM

****!!! Soz FX. Still easy mistake to make. Those female variety geezers are getting everywhere these days.

Cheers for the heads up mate. So where are these photos then? It would be nice to put faces to names, and avoid similar slip ups in the future

Anonymous

1 best new sifi show or siries
    Adventures of Jules Verne -brand new for me anyway

2 worst new sifi show or siries
    Firefly

3 best sifi book
    Butlerian Jihad

4 best sifi movie
    Lets just call the Two Towers scifi k? Hehe best movie of the year, best battle scenes ever in a movie. Made Braveheart look boring.

5 best non sifi newcomer (show, seiries, book, movie anything that arived this year)

Gollum, the new standard in CGI acting

6 nicest sadgeezer

hrmm. Tie between most of em

7 most anoying geezer

Me, since DalekTek790 is absent lately =(

8 best moderator
    Me again, since I have to moderate my own posts 8000000 times a post.

sadgeezer is not eliagable for the above awards as he is going to be inaugerated into the perfect geezer hall of fame as its first member

9 best forum (not necicerialy one that is still here)

10 best post (with its poster if pos)

Best post or thread? Best thread ever is “An Insect Curious…” Best post, hrmm. Anytime Aleck talks about new DVDs.

[ 21-12-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

Anonymous

I’m really bad at these, but I’ll take a stab at it–

1. Best new scifi show. I actually haven’t seen any since Lexx that I liked. So even though it’s not “new”, I’ll have to go with Lexx.

2. Worst new scifi show. If it’s on the scifi channel does that make it scifi? In that case I vote for John Edwards.

Otherwise it’s Andromeda…. or maybe Black Scorpion (I know it’s not new but I hated it very very much). OK, I’ll go for Black Scorpion….or maybe Andromeda.

3. Book: Don’t read nearly as much scifi as I used to and haven’t seen anything this year that I’d vote for–

4. Movie: Haven’t seen Two Towers so I’d better not answer yet for this year.

5. Abstention caused by ignorance and laziness. Haven’t paid enough attention.

6,7,8. Not answering–you think I’m crazy? They know where to find me.

9. Best forum: I’m a Lexx fan, has to be the Lexx forum. But I’ll vote for Art Forum as “most improved”. Good stuff there lately.

10. Best post: Like LL, I always appreciate DVD news from Aleck, but my all time favorite post has to be Lexx Lurker’s move by move analysis of “The Game”. An incredible job!!

elmey

Anonymous

1.-
    2.-
    3. Speed of Darkness by Tracy Hickman
    4. Dude weres my car?(!Zoltan!)
    5. my woman
    6. Logan
    7. Dragula
    8. Frey

nice huh!?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Veering off topic

Dragula:Nice, huh? Me? Coming from anybody else I’d say they were yanking my chain, but considering that I seriously considered nominating you for “nicest sadgeezer”, I’ll take it in the nicest possible way Thanks!! Maybe spending time around the wonderful Sadgeezer crowd is making me lose my edge.

BTW, merry Christmas Eve everybody! I just want to take this chance to wish a special holiday season to all my new found friends here, including Dragula of course, and Sadgeezer (the coolest web administrator I’ve ever had the pleasure of “virtually” meeting). And to my old friends I met at Lexx.com like, for instance, the very talented and kind Pet, Elmey, Camelyn (one of the best writers around), and all the others — I hope you know who you are. And an extra specially special holiday greeting to MicroMary! You’re the best!

Oh, and Aleck, holiday greetings, and thanks for your wonderful contribution to the Prisoner thread (tries to ingratiate himself so he can get discounts on Lexx DVDs )

Bekka, this is your thread I’m rambling in, so thanks in advance for your tolerance — merry Christmas!

Back on track…

Best thread: I like Rag’s “To Bitch or not to Bitch” in Angst — somehow reading the posts makes me feel like the world isn’t such a bad place after all. Thanks!

Anonymous

loging in on my grandads pc to let you all know that i will be counting up the votes and anouncing the winners either sunday or monday. if you havent voted yet you will need to do it before then as any votes from after i start the count will not be included!

Grim
    Participant

Ok for best show it has to be farscape. It has good characterization, good stories, and it uses CGI in the way god intended i.e. only for spaceships and backgrounds.

Worst new show: I saw Cleopatra 2525 I think that covers that.

Book: The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, just don’t ask me to tell you what it’s about.

Movie: Spiderman because it was spiderman

Non sci-fi: Two Towers, did you see gollum and did you believe

As for the rest I’m new and I think you are all great.

Anonymous

1. Best new scifi show. – godda be Firefly (I know I know I slated it, but it got really good in the end).

2. Worst new scifi show. – WoW! There were LOADS! Godda be Mutant X though.

3. Book: – ‘Fraid I’m not a good reader. so I don’t know.

4. Movie: – Two Towers! Good Grief wadda blast that was!!!

5. non sci fi newcommer: Dunno! CAn’t think of any.

6. Nicest SadGeezer! Are you kidding! Yer all nice!

7. Annoying geezer: Ahh. That’s an easy one. That ****wit SadGeezer! Wadda jerk!

8. Best Moderator: Haha, yeah! Like I’m gonna answer that one! Lets see, could it be FX who looks after everyone with a sort of Lorriene grace. Or Headgehog for keeping us all up-to-date! Or theFrey who keeps things together and organises so much like chats etc. Or could it be Flame who keeps us on our toes, or could it be mary beth who remembers our birthdays and provides such a lot of encouragement or could it be NewKate for putting up with me or maybe Camelyn for helping us fight for Farscape or CAt for being a technical wizzard and being there when things fall over. Or maybe BlackCloud for calming us when we are annoyed or Slopmaster for getting us annoyed when we are too calm or for Chamileo and Invisible Lunatic for always seeming to be there or Angelus for not.

They are all good!

9. Best forum: General TV Sci Fi (we’ve seen some great debates in there) but the Pub would come a close second and the LEXX General forum has the most detailed analysis of any show forum I’ve seen!)

10. Best post: That would be Trini-T’s Lexx Time Line post and the comment by Dragula ‘Man, you guys really are SAD geezers!!’ But my fave one was from a couple of years ago (I can’t remember when) but it was a post on the SadBOARD telling me that the SadBOARD was down It had me giggling for days!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well it’s almost the new year again, so I thought I might revive this. Any suggestions for some new categories? Here’s mine…

Best fairly recently cancelled sci-fi series (cancelled about a year ago now I think): Odyssey 5. I thought it was a very good show. I have heard that it may be coming back again (not sure) 😕

Most Lexxist (sadistic and sexy) non-sci-fi comedy series (twas also cancelled fairly recently, but only temporarily): Puppets Who Kill. http://www.puppetswhokill.com/

Fatguy
    Participant

I will take the first bold step and nominate myself as: “Most Annoying Sadgeezer”. Anyone care to second the nomination? 😈

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know, Maurice, you’re up against some pretty stiff competition (joking). 😉

Anyway, enough about you, lets talk about me lol :lol:. The only person who really annoys me at the board is me *swats my pesky self* 😉 But enough about me… Erm, now I’m at a loss for words…. 😕

Have a very happy New Year everyone! 😀

Edit: I suppose my favourite topic is Frostgeezer’sJumping the Sci-Fi Shark It’s the kind of topic I love most at this board, and starts off with a very well-composed post.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.