Multilingual SadGeezer.Com

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Announcements/New Stuff Multilingual SadGeezer.Com

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

By the end of the month, sadgeezer.com will be an English/Russian website. Ie. we will be able to navigate pages on this site using English or Russian.

I will also be mirroring Newkate’s LEXX – ‘A light spot in the Dark Zone‘ to this site (one of the worlds most comprehensive and detailed LEXX review websites– unfortunately only in Russian) onto sadgeezer.com.

However, just because I’m married to a Russian shouldn’t prohibit the development of the site to other languages. I can adapt the site so that it can be navigated in any language. If you are a non-english registered visitor and would like to see this site navigable in other languages, please indicate by replying to this message.

CyberJIT
    Participant

how long would it take to make a spanish / espaΓ±ol version of the site? (hispanic / latinamerican, whatever)

pet
    Participant

I would say Spanish, too. Spanish-speaking people cover a pretty large part of the globe. That’s a big target audience. It would probably have to be a Castillian based translator so the most people could at least understand it. Most Latin American and Carribean countries have different kinds of Spanish, kind of the same way English gets mixed up town-to-town.

My husband’s family says they speak “Spanglish”, but you probably can’t find a translator for that. πŸ˜›

I would also suggest perhaps Klingon and Mimbari? 😈 j/k

Pet;D

Anonymous
    CyberJIT wrote:

how long would it take to make a spanish / espaΓ±ol version of the site? (hispanic / latinamerican, whatever)

It takes AGES! But I use language packs so I can have something up and running in a few days.

Anonymous
    pet wrote:

I would say Spanish, too.

Yep! It’s looking like a hot favourite!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

It’d really be cool to see sadgeezer.com in either Afrikaans or Zulu, but I just don’t see it happening.

Cool Idea though.

πŸ˜›

Anonymous
    lexxrobotech wrote:

It’d really be cool to see sadgeezer.com in either Afrikaans or Zulu, but I just don’t see it happening.

Cool Idea though.

πŸ˜›

I’m pretty sure there isn’t a Zulu language pack, but I’ll check for an Afrikaans.

To be honest though, I really only want to concentrate on the top two or three (I have to search for language packs for all the installed modules individually and it can be time consuming).

Anonymous

Russian and Spanish are great. For the third I’d argue French or German. I personally lean more towards French as thats more of an “international” language than German.

Maybe we could Poll for the final language?

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Sadgeezer : I was only kidding about the Zulu and Afrikaans. It would be an absolute waste. Don’t even think about it. Besides, as the only person here fluent in either Zulu or Afrikaans, I’m perfectly capable of reading and speaking in English.

πŸ’‘ I would agree with LexxLurker and think French or German would be good. Portuguese would probably be the next most read language after English and Spanish. Methinks.

pet
    Participant
    lexxrobotech wrote:

Sadgeezer : I was only kidding about the Zulu and Afrikaans. It would be an absolute waste. Don’t even think about it. Besides, as the only person here fluent in either Zulu….

Kuyababazeka! Uyafuna ukuphuma namhla ebusuku? 😈

(That is the extent of my fluency, πŸ˜† and it it likely spelled wrong…. So in that case many apologies. It happens someone sent me an email full of “Would you go out with me tonight? Cool!” in 20 languages. The miraculous thing is I not only kept it, but remembered where it was. 😯 )

Pet;D

gela
    Participant

oh, german would be nice too….. πŸ™‚

gela

Headgehog
    Participant
    pet wrote:

I would say Spanish, too. Spanish-speaking people cover a pretty large part of the globe.

Agreed

My husband’s family says they speak “Spanglish”, but you probably can’t find a translator for that. πŸ˜›

I went to college in New Mexico for two years, I happen to be quite proficent in spanglish. πŸ˜›

I would also suggest perhaps Klingon and Mimbari? 😈 j/k

That actually sounds like a perfect idea for the site. While no one actually speaks those languages, it would fit in beautifully for the scifi motif of the site. I’d be willing to spend the time and effort to look for Klingon, Elven (Tolkien), or Chaksoba (Fremen of Dune).

”LexxLurker” wrote:

For the third I’d argue French or German. I personally lean more towards French as thats more of an “international” language than German.

Demographically we have more people from Germany then France, so I’d have to choose German. But we have more from Sweden then Germany so… πŸ˜•

SadGeezer wrote:

(I have to search for language packs for all the installed modules individually and it can be time consuming).

Can I give you a hand with that?

Anonymous

Demographically we have more people from Germany then France, so I’d have to choose German. But we have more from Sweden then Germany so…

Ya, without a doubt. I havent seen the demographics, was going purely generically. That’s why I thought a poll may be in order, but if we got the figures we can easily go off that. ” The Needs of the many outweigh….well you get the point 😈 ”

Swedes speak German, they call it Swiss, but it’s pretty much German. So German may be the way to go.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Wow Pet… what a laugh!

Lets see….

Kuyababazeka! Uyafuna ukuphuma namhla ebusuku?

Kuyababazeka – (Im not sure what that means)

Uyafuna – Do you want to

ukuphuma – to go out

namhla – today

ebusuku – tonight

Im really impressed, Pet. πŸ˜€

Anonymous

I’d love to see a redneck language pack!!

Ok then, I’ll be looking to install Russian, Spanish, French, Portugese and German languages.

Thanks for the offer of help Headge, but it’s fiddly and best done by one person.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very cool! Briefly tried it en francais. πŸ˜€

Anonymous

There’s still a long way to go yet.

The languages block will nly be viewable while I’m working on the languages installation. Sorry for the disruption.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.