Music to slit your throat by…

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Music to slit your throat by…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Just stayed up to watch 4 hours of the top 100 albums of all time while supping half a bottle of JD.

There were some fantastic albums reviewed including some that I’d never heard of before like Nick Drake’s ‘Five Leaves Left’ and the and ‘Forever changes’ album from Love.

And yet, after all that, the band that was recognised (by UK channel 4 viewing dickheads) as the best album of all time was the album ‘Oh Computer’ by the classic protagonists of depressing drivel, Radiohead!!

Bunch o’bastards. Albums like Close To The Edge, Mezmerize (possibly too new to be included), Aqualung, Year of the Cat, Anything from Velvet Revolver (although they only have one album) didn’t even get a look-in – and worse still, absolutely no recognition for Mutter!!!!!

What the fuck is that all about?

St. Peppers only rated number 7!! Made be feel old 🙂

theFrey
    Participant

Well the people voting are for the most part younger than you. 😀 Also, they almost never get it right, even the people voting will disagree.

VH1 does shows about various songs like ’50 Best Power Ballads’ and ‘100 one hit wonders’ and the one I disagree with the most, ’50 Most Awsomely Bad Songs.’ Lookat this list, there are lots of songs in here that I like. And lots more that I may not have loved, but did not make me immediately change the radio station. 😆

You can hear clips of them here.
    http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/50_most_awesomely_bad_songs/series_countdown.jhtml

50 Sunglasses at Night Corey Hart <<< I like this one, listen to it occasionally even now.
    49 I’ll Be Missing You Various Artists
    48 Can I Touch You…There? [Album Version] Michael Bolton – Okay, this one does suck.
    47 Something in Common Bobby Brown
    46 Two Princes Spin Doctors
    45 Sorry 2004 Ruben Studdard
    44 We Didn’t Start the Fire Billy Joel <<< I like this one, listen to it occasionally even now.
    43 Make Em Say Ugh, Pt. 2 Master P
    42 Cotton Eye Joe Various Artists <<< YEE HAW Sucks really bad!
    41 Some Girls (Dance With Women) JC Chasez
    40 What’s Up? 4 Non Blondes –
    39 Informer Snow
    38 Mesmerize Ja Rule
    37 From a Distance Bette Midler <<< I like this one, listen to it occasionally even now.
    36 I Wanna Sex You Up Color Me Badd
    35 Heartbeat Don Johnson
    34 Butterfly Crazy Town
    33 Jenny from the Block Jennifer Lopez
    32 Broken Wings Mr. Mister <<< I liked this one.
    31 You Remind Me of Something R. Kelly
    30 Pimp Juice Nelly
    29 I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That) Meat Loaf
    28 Never Gonna Give You Up Rick Astley <<< I don’t know how this one could have been so horrible, I know lots of people who liked it.
    27 Rump Shaker Wreckx n Effect
    26 The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You Bryan Adams
    25 You Rock My World Michael Jackson
    24 Sussudio Phil Collins <<< This was not that bad. Made no sense, but did not prompt me to change stations.
    23 Thong Song Sisqó
    22 Dancing on the Ceiling Lionel Richie <<< Hey it was the 80’s lots of people liked this one.
    21 I’ll Be There for You [Theme from Friends] Various Artists
    20 Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American) Toby Keith
    19 You’re the Inspiration Chicago <<< Not a thing wrong with this one.
    18 Pumps and a Bump Hammer
    17 I’m Too Sexy Right Said Fred
    16 The Final Countdown Europe <<< I loved the hook on this one, too bad the other lyrics bit.
    15 MMM, MMM, MMM, MMM Crash Test Dummies
    14 Will 2k [Featuring K-Ci] Will Smith
    13 Barbie Girl Aqua
    12 Hangin’ Tough New Kids on the Block
    11 Rico Suave Gerardo
    10 The Heart of Rock & Roll Huey Lewis <<< Bouncy little tune, Huey Lewis, what’s not to like?
    9 Don’t Worry, Be Happy Various Artists <<< This was a kids song for crying out loud. TheNeices loved it.
    8 She Bangs Ricky Martin <<< I like the William Hung cover better.
    7 Party All the Time Eddie Murphy
    6 Breakfast At Tiffany’s Deep Blue Something
    5 Ice Ice Baby Vanilla Ice
    4 Rollin’ (Urban Assault Vehicle) Limp Bizkit
    3 Everybody Have Fun Tonight Wang Chung
    2 Achy Breaky Heart Billy Ray Cyrus
    1 We Built This City Starship <<< I liked this one, how can it be worst?

theFrey
    Participant

.ff

theFrey
    Participant

*theFrey kicks site!*

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a link to that Channel 4 list of so-called Greatest Albums: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fsgroen/Top100’s/2005Channel4.html

The Channel 4 panel of music industry experts selected 125 classic albums for the listeners to chose from – a list that contained classic works from the likes of Elvis Presley, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols and Dusty Springfield, right through to current chart acts The Streets and Scissor Sisters. The list was [originally] broadcasted [sic] on Sunday April 17th 2005.

So-called “Greatest” lists do tend to irritate me. How does one make it truly objective? Favourites as selected by whomever are fine.

While some of my favourite albums are there, and quite a few of my fave bands, it certainly doesn’t coincide that much with my tastes.

No Yes, no Jethro Tull, no King Crimson, no Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, no Rush, no Roxy Music, and no classic Genesis (which is what I’m mostly listening to these days).

Though I would probably rate Sgt. Peppers at number one (think Abbey Road is my fave), my favourites list would be on the prog rock heavy side (and like Sgt. Peppers, Dark Side of the Moon, Tommy etc., it would be on the concept album heavy side).

Yes, Fragile; Genesis, Selling England By the Pound and Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and a few others; Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Tarkus; Jethro Tull, Aqualung; King Crimson, In The Court of the Crimson King; Rush, Hemispheres, Alan Parson’s Project, Tales of Mystery and Imagination and I Robot would make my list. As would Gary Numan’s Replicas.

As for listed bands: Pink Floyd and the Who being a couple fave bands: a great album, but Dark Side of the Moon bores me a bit these days. Rather see Wish You Were Here, Animals, Medley, or The Wall. For The Who, Tommy is another great album, but I may prefer Quadrophenia and Who’s Next. As for Bowie, good choice.

pet
    Participant

Hmmm.

I can’t figure out why The Odd Couple’s cover of You’re So Vain and Milton Berle singing Yellow Submarine (I even hate the Beatle’s version of this) aren’t on the worst list.

Um, Fabio’s Love Attack, maybe, too.

The albums I recognise from the good list seem to be influential in some way. As in they started a new sound trend (or were the first to break through with an underground sound), however long or short that trend lasted. None of them sound like any other album on the list, for instance.

In fact, for many of them I can remember the first time I heard a release from them and thinking things like, “Hey, this is going to change things.” Then listening in horror when lame imitators showed up a few months later to cash in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a prog list that coincides pretty closely to my tastes… In fact, I discovered several great albums and rediscovered many more half-rememberted ones from it — and similar lists…

From http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp

YES
    Close to the Edge
    GENESIS
    Selling England By The Pound
    PINK FLOYD
    Dark Side of the Moon
    JETHRO TULL
    Thick As A Brick
    GENESIS
    Foxtrot
    PINK FLOYD
    Wish You Were Here
    KING CRIMSON
    In the Court of the Crimson King
    GENESIS
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    YES
    Fragile
    GENESIS
    Nursery Cryme
    CAMEL
    The Snow Goose
    RUSH
    Moving Pictures
    KING CRIMSON
    Red
    DREAM THEATER
    Scenes From A Memory Metropolis Part II
    RUSH
    Hemispheres
    YES
    Relayer
    PINK FLOYD
    Animals
    VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR
    Pawn Hearts
    CAMEL
    Mirage
    RIVERSIDE
    Second Life Syndrome
    KING CRIMSON
    Larks’ Tongues in Aspic
    GENTLE GIANT
    Octopus
    PORCUPINE TREE
    In Absentia
    PINK FLOYD
    Meddle
    GENTLE GIANT
    In a Glass House
    CAMEL
    Moonmadness
    ANGLAGARD
    Hybris
    PINK FLOYD
    The Wall
    JETHRO TULL
    Aqualung
    MARILLION
    Script for a Jester’s Tear
    CARAVAN
    In The Land Of Grey And Pink
    RUSH
    A Farewell to Kings
    DREAM THEATER
    Images And Words
    YES
    The YES Album
    TOOL
    Lateralus
    GENESIS
    A Trick Of The Tail
    VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR
    Still Life
    FOCUS
    Hamburger Concerto
    SUPERTRAMP
    Crime of the Century
    RUSH
    OPETH
    Ghost Reveries
    GENTLE GIANT
    The Power And The Glory
    PORCUPINE TREE
    Coma Divine Live
    GENTLE GIANT
    Free Hand
    EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (ELP)
    Brain Salad Surgery
    VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR
    H to He, Who Am the Only One
    VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR
    Godbluff
    RUSH
    Permanent Waves
    PAIN OF SALVATION
    The Perfect Element Part 1
    AYREON
    The Human Equation
    MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA
    Birds of Fire
    ZAPPA, FRANK
    Hot Rats
    MARILLION
    Misplaced Childhood
    GENTLE GIANT
    Playing The Fool – The Official Live
    LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT
    Liquid Tension Experiment 2
    PAIN OF SALVATION
    Remedy Lane
    HATFIELD AND THE NORTH
    The Rotters’ Club
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    YES
    Yessongs
    PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM)
    Per Un Amico
    GENESIS
    Seconds Out
    HACKETT, STEVE
    Voyage Of The Acolyte
    PORCUPINE TREE
    The Sky Moves Sideways
    GENTLE GIANT
    Three Friends
    YES
    Going for the One
    OPETH
    Still Life
    GENESIS
    Trespass
    IQ
    Dark Matter
    QUEENSRYCHE
    Operation: Mindcrime
    ORME, LE
    Felona e Sorona
    GENESIS
    Wind And Wuthering
    OPETH
    Blackwater Park
    Trilogy
    CAMEL
    A Live Record
    DREAM THEATER
    Live at Budokan
    RIVERSIDE
    Out Of Myself
    GRYPHON
    Red Queen to Gryphon Three
    HARMONIUM
    Si on avait besoin d’une 5ième Saison
    JETHRO TULL
    Songs From The Wood
    OLDFIELD, MIKE
    Tubular Bells
    DREAM THEATER
    Awake
    WAKEMAN, RICK
    The Six Wives of Henry VIII
    PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM)
    Storia Di Un Minuto
    KANSAS
    Leftoverture
    PARSONS PROJECT, ALAN
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination – Edgar Allan Poe
    QUEEN
    Queen II*
    MARS VOLTA, THE
    De-loused in the Comatorium
    BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO
    Darwin!
    GENTLE GIANT
    Acquiring The Taste
    PORCUPINE TREE
    Deadwing
    TOOL
    Ænima
    YES
    Tales From Topographic Oceans
    ARK (NOR)
    Burn The Sun
    MUSEO ROSENBACH
    Zarathustra
    IQ
    The Seventh House
    UK
    U.K.
    MOSTLY AUTUMN
    The Last Bright Light
    OLDFIELD, MIKE
    Amarok
    COLLAGE
    Moonshine
    IQ
    Ever

Some particual favourite 70’s prog albums du jour: Camel’s Mirage, The Snow Goose, and Moonmadness. Gryphon’s Red Queen to Gryphon Three and Midnight Mushrumps. Caravan’s In the Land of Grey and Pink (Nine Feet Underground is awesome), and an old band that I’ve only recently got into in a really big way is Gentle Giant, and I would list pretty much any of their first seven abums as extremely good (though, sadly, not that well-known).

Anonymous

Great List Logan, thanks – I’ll have tyo check some of those out – I’m a big Prog Rock fan but haven’t heard opf some of the bands.

In the meantime guys, why not checkout the wonderfully cool http://www.pandora.com

It’s prolly the best site in the world for discovering new music similar to stuff you like.

It’s by the people who setup the Music Gnome Project. You can simply enter the name of a song or artist and it automatically creates your own personal radio station of similar songs! You can mark ones you don’t like and it takes them (and songs like them) out of the playlist.

Amazingly, you can have up to 100 personal radio stations so you can listen you your fave music whatever mood yer in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Been away from the site for a little while and only just read your post now. What a cool service. Just starting it now so it’ll take me a little while to get to know it more (must register now).

I’ll say for now that one reason I love that progarchives link is that they have streaming songs hosted for the bands they list if you check on the album pages. A feature I han’t used ’til now due to an agressive program running on my non Sad-friendly browser (i.e hasn’t JAP funning) that edits it out.

For instance, at a Genesis page (click) they have 9 songs including, a personal favourite of theirs, The Cinema Show.

Decided to try The Cinema Show at pandora (a Gabriel prog-era Genesis song) and the song it came up with as similar was a poppy Collins’ Genesis song on my first attempt. Still, I’m sure I’ll discover a lot of great music I like with it as I use the program more, thanks for the link!

Forgot to mention Hamburger Concerto by Focus in my personal list before

Anonymous

Yep, it takes some tweeking but you can give a thumbs up or thumbs down to songs (it then re-jigs the list taking this into consideration).

Also, you can add other fave songs to this list.

By the way (non US peeps), you need to register and because of licensing, you need to enter a zip code to prove that you are resident in the US 😀

Hehe. Of course, all I did was type a 5 figure number beginning with 100 which is somewhere in New York, and it let me in no problem. I now have three different personal Radio Stations – one for heavy, one for Prog and one for easy listening.

We need something like this for Sci Fi shows!

Flamegrape
    Participant

CURVE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I find http://www.last.fm/ a better service than pandora for discovering music I like, but the overall Pandora service is good.

Sad, if you enjoy prog and are not that familiar with the group, I suggest you give Gentle Giant a chance (I like the first eight albums of theirs). It is something of an acquired taste though.

I really wish the list hadn’t skipped one of my all-time favourite albums, Focus’ Hamburger Concerto. Some call Focus a one hit wonder for Harem Scarem (that classic rock yodelling song)… I don’t equate quality with commercial success (e.g. radio hits) — they came out with some great 70’s albums.

We should come out with a Sadgeezer’s Guide to Cult Albums. 😛

Hollydays
    Participant

not really in the same subject, but kinda:

http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php

has tons of 80’s videos. They play real easy, not lag time uploading or anything.

enjoy!

Ahhhh…….just watched A-ha’s “Take on Me”,
    good times, good times

Sidhecafe
    Participant

ok, from Chicago to Tool and Opeth…and then A-ha…holy thread Batman,

seriously, Logan is the prog rock king and should have tapestries of album covers hanging in a long hall with his crazy resin molded throne resting on the junked guitars of a thousand performances….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.