Mutant x- surely it cant be THAT bad!!!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst Mutant x- surely it cant be THAT bad!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

Yes, I have been following your advice since I first saw the show. I don’t like it so I don’t watch it. Sometimes I try to watch it but it is so unappealing to me that I have to change the channel. I really don’t think it’s very good. Sorry.

But also keep in mind that I’m not a serious connoisseur of superhero comics. I tend to think they are silly and I’m not known for collecting them. (My current favorite comic is Transmetropolitan. Spider Jeruselem rocks!) I’ve only collected a few superhero comics in recent memory. One was Ghost (published by Darkhorse, recently cancelled) and another was Cloak & Dagger (published by Marvel, cancelled in the 1980s). And those titles were not very popular so I guess that doesn’t make me an expert of superhero comics. On occasion I might pick up a Wonder Woman or Batgirl comic… anything featuring female superheros.

Oh, I almost forgot. I do collect superhero comic these days. Two, I think.

One superhero comic I collect is called Rising Stars and it’s written by Babylon 5‘s J. Michael Straczynski. It’s a realistic look at superheroes and how they would really be treated. (Something like Watchmen. When is Alan Moore’s classic going to be turned into a movie?!?) I’ve been able to collect most of the issues. It’s very well-written. But this is the extreme exception. It frequently breaks the comicbook rule of minimal dialogue on any given page.

The other superhero comic I collect is Tomb Raider. I suppose Lara Croft can be considered a superhero even though she doesn’t have “superpowers”. But then again, neither does Batman. I read Tomb Raider because I loved all of the videogames. And she has big boobs. But I’d be the first to admit that the writing isn’t very good.

Most superhero comics are crap, IMHO. Well-written comics are hard to find. You might hope that only the cream of comicbook literature would be performed on live-action (non-cartoon) television, but this has never(?) been the case.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by CoyoteCC:
    hi all
    surely ppl who sit there and slander off mutant x must have something wrong with them – to me it seems obvious. You dont like it, you dont watch it!!

Stan lee’s only connection with the show is the fact that his production company handles it, Howard Chaykin is executive scripter (he was a marvel/DC writer)that is the only connection.

Most X-titles are written by the executives at Marvel that was Joe Kelly’s big gripe with the company, he had no control over the title. X-calibur was cancelled, New Mutants evolved into X-Force and even that is losing sales)

As for Mutant X. As a stand alone show it is ok, dont read too much into it as it is mindless sci-fi, if u want something deeper go watch Babylon 5 or read ‘war and peace’

Most people are going to make a comparison between X-Men the movie and Mutant X, and this is where you can see the differences.
    X-Men surprised many, as it was very well written and the stars did a fantastic job of portraying the X-Men, Mutant X is a very poor cousin, and simply goes the complete opposite.
    But to be fair, a T.V series has a harder time than a movie, as it has to produce weekly.
    It’s Mutant X’s first season, and like so many other fledgling sci-fi shows it has started badly, but I hope it does improve.
    It’s one of those programmes that has a problem that you can’t quite put your finger on, to me, it’s a case of plotlines and writing that just doesn’t gel, I’ve also seen some of the worst FX ever on it and the martial arts choreography is poorly done (I saw Shalimar kick someone, and you could clearly see her miss by a foot, and he still flew across the room).
    All in all, it reeks of being amateur, it was like it was done by the same people who did The Blair Witch Project.
    We are all here to cast aspirtations on these programmes, and all the series mentioned on the Sadboard do not escape criticism.
    What’s really a shame, is that American studios will shelve a project before it get’s a chance to improve, and this will probably be the case with Mutant X.
    And let’s face it, it has a long way to go before it can stand proud alongside X-Men.
    Squishy

Anonymous

What Squishy said.

I see a good analogy as back in the 80s when Transformers were so popular. Then came Go-Bots which had its own unique plot/toys etc.. but lets face it, it was still a poor copy of Transformers. Same is true with any X-Men clone, it doesent matter how good it is, it’s still a copy of a copy. And after watching 4 eps of Mutant-X I think Im ready for some Strange World marathons or the 7th circle of Hell, not sure whats worse.

I also found this quite funny from the Mutant X website:

You may be aware that Marvel Entertainment, Fireworks Entertainment and Tribune Entertainment are named in a dispute with Twentieth Century Fox, with Fox claiming that there may be some confusion about a relationship between “X-Men” and our MUTANT_X. We have made it clear that the only relationship between “X-Men” and our MUTANT_X television series is that each originates with Marvel, the publisher of “Spider Man,” “The Incredible Hulk” and a whole host of other successful properties featuring superheroes. We want you to know that MUTANT_X is not based on the “X-Men” property and is not in any way related to, licensed or approved by, or associated with the motion picture “X-Men” or Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.

SadGeezer
    Keymaster

hi all
    surely ppl who sit there and slander off mutant x must have something wrong with them – to me it seems obvious. You dont like it, you dont watch it!!

Stan lee’s only connection with the show is the fact that his production company handles it, Howard Chaykin is executive scripter (he was a marvel/DC writer)that is the only connection.

Most X-titles are written by the executives at Marvel that was Joe Kelly’s big gripe with the company, he had no control over the title. X-calibur was cancelled, New Mutants evolved into X-Force and even that is losing sales)

As for Mutant X. As a stand alone show it is ok, dont read too much into it as it is mindless sci-fi, if u want something deeper go watch Babylon 5 or read ‘war and peace’

Flamegrape
    Participant

Yeah, yeah, yeah, WHATEVER.

Anonymous

thanx for replying to my posting.

Honest criticism i dont mind. Comparing mutant x to xmen is like comparing the guns from 20th centry to clubs from caveman days. Xmen has been around longer and done more than mutant x ever has. Fight scenes are a bit ‘cheesy’ but hopefuly they will improve with time. PLot lines are trhe same, but to get to the good stuff u really have to go thru the slush pile sometimes. I ma ntoi saying mutant x is as good as xmen, but i am saying it has the potential to be. After all xmen comic was nearly cancelled once or twice and had to print reprints just to keep going, surely mutant x is TRYING to be in the same vein as xmen and there are very few ahows like that around, surely we owe it a chance if nothing else. It is original as far as TV shows go, but as far as comics or movies go it is cliched already.

Movies liek ‘The One’ or ‘The Matrix’ far outstrip it and comics have had this stuff going on for decades.

But it is unique as far as TV goes so lets give it a chance huh?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by CoyoteCC:
    hi all

I appreciate that, but the problem is, that large budget sci fi shows have been crap lately and sopme of us feel that Mutant X is one of the bad ones. It’s not so much an attack on Mutant X as an attack on sci fi TV in general (both sides of the Atlantic).

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    (Something like Watchmen. When is Alan Moore’s classic going to be turned into a movie?!?) I’ve been able to collect most of the issues. It’s very well-written. But this is the extreme exception. It frequently breaks the comicbook rule of minimal dialogue on any given page.

Yep, that would be wonderful! the Watchmen is one of the classics.

Having said that, another classic, The Tick (a sort of anti watchmen) was made into a TV show and has just been cancelled

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.