My 2 biggest gripes and then some

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst My 2 biggest gripes and then some

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

1) People who spell Xenia Seeburg’s character Xev as “Zev” when it has been explained in several interviews in both magazines and in footage by Paul, Lex, and even Xenia herself, that the reason was to help make even more of a distinction between her “Xev” and Eva Haberman’s “Zev”.

2) People who can’t figure out that Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine are the same guy even after Lucas has addressed it twice on the DVD. Once in the commentary and once in the documentary.

Btw… if there is anyone out there who believes either of these things to be contrary.. I’d love to bet real money against you on it

3) People who accuse Phantom Menace of being too childish. So were the other three, they are children’s films. I mean come on.. we got to see some real Jedi, finally.. Coruscant (aside from the tidbit seen in Jedi Special Edition), and the coolest ass light saber duel ever.

A New Hope was kinda cheesey and kinda boring for most kids, you don’t really get to any action until like almost an hour into the film . I seem to lose interest after Obi-Wan dies. I think the attack on the Death Star, while time-less, is a bit of a snoozer. The light saber duel between Darth and Obi-Wan, while classic dialogue, pretty lame. The bit in the special edition where Greedo fires first: Han knew Greedo was gonna fire first; it makes Han look inept for waiting for Greedo to fire, makes Greedo look inept for missing at that close a range………

Oh crap!!! I forgot!!! I have to run off to Wal-Mart and get me a Gamecube

(to be continued)

[ 20-01-2002: Message edited by: Xev of R2D2 ]

Anonymous

Star Wars (whatever ****ing part it was 3b I think) was a great film in the seventies, but it’s all pretty weak now.

My personal gripe is with all those film companies out there who can’t be bothered to produce any more films with the charm and shear ‘grippedness’ as 2001 a Space Odyssey.

I recently saw 2010 and 2001. 2001 absolutely knocked the socks off the former and that really ****es me off.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Star Wars (whatever ****ing part it was 3b I think) was a great film in the seventies, but it’s all pretty weak now.

My personal gripe is with all those film companies out there who can’t be bothered to produce any more films with the charm and shear ‘grippedness’ as 2001 a Space Odyssey.

I recently saw 2010 and 2001. 2001 absolutely knocked the socks off the former and that really ****es me off.

Yea but 2010 was the better book. BTW I can’t find 2010 anywhere, its like every video store in the states boycotted it.

But your right about movies having gone downhill. It seems like so many films are just reruns of other flicks, but with different cahracters.
    Ex: Passenger 51, Air Force One, Con Air…

FX
    Participant

sorry x, although i have seen the original trilogy several times, i still do not have the level of knowledge that you guys do about it but i agree with saddy;2001 moves me, 2010 annoyed me (i am talking about the films here) and star wars is something i love mostly because of nostalgia, not because it is my idea of a great work but to each his own…love fx

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Xev of R2D2:
    2) People who can’t figure out that Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine are not the same guy even after Lucas has addressed it twice on the DVD. Once in the commentary and once in the documentary.

I once spent an evening arguing this same point with three supposed “star wars expert” friends of mine. It nice to know I was right all along. Cheers Xev of R2D2.

BTW to settle the other half of that arguement can anyone tell me what race Darth Maul is?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Mudlock:
    BTW to settle the other half of that arguement can anyone tell me what race Darth Maul is?

Darth Maul is an Iridonian Zabrak, same as Eeth Koth.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

Darth Maul is an Iridonian Zabrak, same as Eeth Koth.

We were all wrong on that one then

Cheers DalekTek790

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Xev of R2D2:
    1) People who spell Xenia Seeburg’s character Xev as “Zev” when it has been explained in several interviews in both magazines and in footage by Paul, Lex, and even Xenia herself, that the reason was to help make even more of a distinction between her “Xev” and Eva Haberman’s “Zev”.

2) People who can’t figure out that Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine are not the same guy even after Lucas has addressed it twice on the DVD. Once in the commentary and once in the documentary.

Btw… if there is anyone out there who believes either of these things to be contrary.. I’d love to bet real money against you on it

3) People who accuse Phantom Menace of being too childish. So were the other three, they are children’s films. I mean come on.. we got to see some real Jedi, finally.. Coruscant (aside from the tidbit seen in Jedi Special Edition), and the coolest ass light saber duel ever.

A New Hope was kinda cheesey and kinda boring for most kids, you don’t really get to any action until like almost an hour into the film . I seem to lose interest after Obi-Wan dies. I think the attack on the Death Star, while time-less, is a bit of a snoozer. The light saber duel between Darth and Obi-Wan, while classic dialogue, pretty lame. The bit in the special edition where Greedo fires first: Han knew Greedo was gonna fire first; it makes Han look inept for waiting for Greedo to fire, makes Greedo look inept for missing at that close a range………

Oh crap!!! I forgot!!! I have to run off to Wal-Mart and get me a Gamecube

(to be continued)

Xev, I have got to admit I’m one of those people, I am absolutely confused with it.
    Clearly Palpatine becomes the evil emporer, and manipulates the senate to his own ends.
    And the Emporer is clearly a Sith Lord, which many say is Sidious, as you can clearly see it’s Palpatine under that robe, the mouth of Ian McDiarmid is unmistakable.
    So can someone say how they cannot be the same person, unless Palpatine has a twin who he is working with,
    When you say can’t figure it out, well I think you have to be a genius to see that they are not the same, I’ve watched Ep 1 several times now, at it just screams at me that Palpatine and Sidious are the same…what am I missing.
    Personally, I think Lucas would be more than happy to throw us off track, so I take anything he say’s with a pinch of salt, he is protective and guarding of the storyline, that I think lying isn’t beyond him.
    If they are not the same, then it’s like saying that Palpatine is not a bad guy after all, and that his entry as Senate leader means nothing in terms of dire consequences.
    Suffice to say, I can imagine that most Star Wars fans believe them to be the same, as I can’t spot anything to suggest otherwise…but maybe you have picked up on something in Phantom Menace that many of us overlooked.
    But if it turns out to be a halfbaked unsubstantiated theory, then I won’t subscribe to it, unless it’s proven beyond reasonable doubt that Palpatine and Sidious are not the same person.
    Just one thing to clear up (to be 100% sure), was Sidious Darth Maul’s master and the person co-ordinating the blockade of Naboo?, if he was, then it’s definitely Palpatine. As he always appeared as a hologram, so he would never have to leave Coruscant, and that is definitely the mouth of Senator Palpatine and the mouth of the aged Emporer in Return of the Jedi.
    Please, please explain.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Crikey, Squish!!!! I meant to type:

“ARE the same” NOT ” Are not the same”

I should have proof-read. However, you do prove my point that it’s obvious they are the same guy.

You mention Sidious only appearing as a hologram. There is one scene which seems to take place on Coruscant between Maul and Sidious and Sidous is real. If you look really close, you’ll notice they are on a balcony which appears very similar to Palpatine’s. Also, Sidious claims to be able to bog down the Senate in procedures, this would be easy to do if he were also a Senator.

Also, most questions like the one DT answered can found at http://www.starwars.com/databank/%5B/url%5D

and yes DT was correct.

So does that mean we are still in agreement, MUDLOCK?

Cheers, Squishums

[ 20-01-2002: Message edited by: Xev of R2D2 ]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.