New sci-fi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

Is it just me, or does that new “Jules Verne” show really suck?

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

Anonymous

dalektek, i fell asleep during jules verne and i played on the net during black scorpian…does that answer the question?

Anonymous

I taped both but only saw “Black Scorpion” well, parts of it. It was a real sleeper, and not in the good sense of the word. What were they thinking?

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

Anonymous

Okay, watched Jules Verne. I gotta admit, I liked it. It had enough science in the fiction to hold my interest and I am a pushover for that whole groovy Victorian era…Verne, Wells, the Ripper, Disraeli, dark and Gothic tones all ’round, classicism and romanticism…; oh, yeh, I so dig the flavor of that time. And, the next eppy’s gonna have a vampiric element to it? Oh, forget about it, I’m hooked.

To be fair, I even tried to watch Black Scorpion, again, from the beginning. Sigh…I don’t know; it’s almost like they were TRYING to be awful. It was so bad that, if I didn’t have a remote control handy, I’d have knocked myself senseless with my floor lamp, just to make it stop! On a scale of one to ten, it rated an eleven on the ole suckometer. Now, I have to go put on a Lexx tape and cleanse my mind of that awful, awful dreck! Ack! It was like a poor Batman rip-off! Black Scorpion, indeed! (you know, the scorpion in that half-told tale at the beginning was a BAD persona; not a thing on which to base a hero! How do you pull a hero out of the villain of a cautionary tale? Fulsome dreck!) Well, I guess I’m feelin’ strongly about this, eh?

——————

Anonymous

amen blackie! but vampires…hmmmm…i already have two vampire movies to see…nothing more erotic than a vampire…unless it’s vampire kai!

Anonymous

Vampire Kai? Aye, yi-yi! That might prove to be too overwhelming! But, heck, he’s already halfway there. Dead-alive, needs protoblood, wears black…hell, all he needs is a castle and a cape!

——————

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

Yes, I must admit that I didn’t like Black Scorpion at all. I mean, when I read about it, it was described as starring a former Miss something, 10 Playboy Playmates, Adam West, and it was from Roger Corman. And, I didn’t even bother to watch Jules Verne. Oh, but did anyone else notice that the guy playing Verne is the guy who was on Lois & Clark for a while. He played some kid from the streets that got a job at the Daily Planet.

——————
    “I love you” “I know” – Princess Leia and Han Solo
    “First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me, blow” – Ash from Army of Darkness
    “Darling, you idiot!” – Lum from Urusei Yatsura
    “Who is this Anya!? Is she prettier than me!?” Xander’s sock puppet friend from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Anonymous

Aaaccakkk!I’m sorry, I just can’t handle Black Scorpian. It is even worse than Barb Wire! Jules Verne, however, I admit it too, I like it! By the way, MM is in one of the eps, but not listed in the credits. I am watching the newest Jules Verne on tape. I have a sneaking suspicion, but need to be certain. How many of you have seen the Dracula movie starring Frank Langella? Imagine McManus in the role!!

Anonymous

OK, I wouldn’t bet the farm on it, but I think the tall vamp in the background in the inn just might be MM. As our heros are talking to the innkeeper about going up to their room take a hard look at the vamp with a suspiciously errant strand of black hair just covering the eye. Check out the posture as well. Is it or isn’t it??

DalekTek790
    Participant

Michael McManus was the narrator for a documentary on the History channel a few days ago.

——————

Anonymous

It’s about time somebody got that smooth baritone into narration! I wish I’d seen, uh heard it. He’s got a very distinctive voice, just like Mr. Langella.
    Frank Langella (homina, homina!), Mr. Voice-Eyes-Hair Vampire Count Extraordinaire? Yeh, I know him. I all but stalked him!(j/k) I’d have to say, he set the yardstick extremely high for all Draculas to follow. MM might be able to claim that mantle. He’s got the voice, the eyes and the height. And, when he gets all divine assassin, as he did right before bracing Mantrid(K-Town), he’s got the look.

‘Jules Verne,’ still liking it! The young man playing Verne, also played the son in the series, “Dream On,” and a young Captain Picard(I thought he was a little cutie!). And, whoa, was that really Patrick Duffy playing the Count? I was impressed. Phileas Fogg; didn’t he play Robin Hood or someone striking with long hair? I seem to recognize the name, Praed. Well, we could not get much more Victorian than vamps and romance, could we? I hope the rest of the series is as good. (ok, didn’t buy the personal rocket gear but that cool vampy disappearing trick made me overlook it ) And, why does the stake have to be WOODEN?!?

——————

Anonymous

The theory behind a wooden stake is that wood is a natural substance and many trees were thought to possess magic properties throughout history. Willows, birch, gingko and numerous others as well. Also another explanation for a wooden stake was that Jesus was crucified on a wooden cross, thus wood became a holy substance.

DalekTek790
    Participant

The wooden stake was the standard tool of torture in 15th century Romania. Prince Vladimir Bassarab “das Dracul” Tepes IV reportedly impaled victims with such implements and drank their blood, and thus the weapon became inextricably linked to the Vampire mythos. Since Bram Stoker, however, it has usually been a weapon AGAINST vampires, rather than of them.

——————

Anonymous

Thank you; excellent explanations. I always wondered about that but never thought to research it. Which would also explain the silver dealio with werewolves, by extension, since silver is pure? Cool! Eh, garlic?
    It’s purely stinky?

——————

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.