New "Who" Due

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Courtesy of my friend Ron, a dedicated Doctor Who fan…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3140786.stm

Would be wild (but unlikely) to see Brian Downey as the new Doctor.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ”jkd112″ wrote:

Or Tom Green… 😉

As a Whovian myself, I regularly check out the news HERE (click). That is good news; I can only hope I’ll get a chance to see it. While BBC Kids in Canada (only on digital service) shows Dr. Who, the Space Channel has vowed never to show it again after the abyssmal ratings for the show when it was aired some time ago (they should have started off with the Pertwee or Baker — most would say Baker — episodes to hook people).

Here’s a recent Dr. Who news article that caught my eye a few days ago (quoted from Sci-Fi Online — words in brackets my own):

Sci -Fi wrote:

Does my bum look big in this TARDIS?
    (16/09/03)

Comedian and actress, Arabella Weir, one of the stars of The Fast Show and the author of three best-selling novels, including Does My Bum Look Big in This?, is to play the first female Doctor Who.

She stars in Exile – the sixth and final play in the Doctor Who Unbound series of alternative Doctor Who dramas on CD from Big Finnish Productions.

Best known for her catchphrase: “Does my bum look big in this?” on the Fast Show, Weir’s background in comedy made her an ideal choice to play the Doctor in Exile as this particular instalment in the Doctor Who Unbound series of plays has a darkly humorous edge.

“I think it’s a very funny script,” said Weir during a break in the recording of the play. “I have to say, I was a little bit nervous. I thought, ‘Oh God, this is going to be one of those things for people who are real devotees and therefore it’ll be full of in-jokes and unintelligible,’ but I thought it was very funny, indeed.”

Joanna Lumley [of The New Avengers and Absolutely Fabulous fame] made a cameo appearance as the Doctor in The Curse of Fatal Death for Children in Need [which starred Rowan Atkinson of Black Adder and Mr. Bean fame] but Weir has the honour of being the first actress to star as the Doctor for a whole adventure and was delighted to be offered the chance of making Doctor Who history.

However, the first lady Doctor may not be quite what everyone is expecting: “I think it’s funny with all the belching,” said Weir. “No farting as yet, but maybe – you never know. I might slip one of them in…!”…

Dr. Who and the Curse of Fatal Death

Jhevz
    Participant
    ”jkd112″ wrote:

jkd112, Logan & Fellow Whovians,
    That’s a very cool article for you all to read; when I read this on My Excite, I was ready to tell any Whovians I know & also ready to jump up & down because of the great news. 8) 🙂 Wow, I wonder who the new Dr will be.

I doubt it will be Brian Downey, but them Michael McManus might be (so very unlikely, playing the dead guy on, Lexx); or it could be played by Nigel Bennett (you know, Prince). 🙂 😀
    Guys, thanks for the great news; I’ll write down the web sites & send it to all the Whovians I know.

Whovians Unite,
    Jhevz 😉

Anonymous

there’s 2 names i keep hearing as possibles for the new Doctor. some say the favourite is Richard E. Grant, and i’ve heard from another source that it’s going to be Alun (“Jonathon Creek”) Davies, who i personally think would be a good choice. i’ve also heard that the new doctor will be gay-not that there’s a problem with that, but thats just what i’ve heard…. 😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Man From Swaziland…

Ah, so Richard E. Grant will reprise his role for a new Dr. Who! (he played one of the Doctors in Dr. Who and the Curse of Fatal Death – see link in my last post), but in an animated feature….

According to the BBC Dr. Who (CLICK) news section, Grant IS set to play the Doctor in an animated feature due to air in November (one of the BBC stations). I’ve heard no mention of him being in the new-live action series (quite a few rumours flying about).

BTW, Richard E. Grant is most enjoyable, if not terribly versatile from what I’ve seen (*Logan ducks rotten fowl eggs*). He starred in a few fave movies of mine including Withnail and I and the darkly hilarious How To Get Ahead in Advertising – he develops a boil which eventually turns into a full-fledged head, and his role in The Player was terrific. Also enjoyed him muchly in the BBC mini-series Cold Lazarus. Incidentally, his co-star of Withnail and I, Paul McGann has played the Doctor too in a made for TV movie sometimes known as Dr. Who: The Movie (and he stars as The Doctor in the animated webcast by Douglas Adams called Shada (anyone watch Paper Mask? Riveting!)

BTW, the two major “rumoured” contenders seem to be Bill Nighy and Alan Davies, but it looks like Davies is considered a bit too young for the part — original Doctor Who producer Verity Lambert is holding her tongue as to the veracity of the rumours (with a name like verity you know she’ll only speak the truth, or keep mum…).

Now Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, or Tim Roth, that would be fabulous. 🙂 Or why not a female doctor? Does the “Does My Bum Look Big in This?” Doctor count? Sounds like the kind of question you’d ask a proctologist. 😉 They may cast an out of work, bum actor in the role, but he/she sure won’t play no bum doctor!

Once again, for the latest Dr. Who news visit the official BBC Dr. Who site.

Anonymous
    Logan wrote:

Alan Davies … is considered a bit too young for the part

By looks, I guess? According to IMDB he’s 37! Peter Davison was younger than that.

bonnee
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

BTW, Richard E. Grant is most enjoyable, if not terribly versatile from what I’ve seen (*Logan ducks rotten fowl eggs*).

The sound of his testicles in L.A. Story is the very defintion of versatility. 😡

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ”stormsweeper” wrote:

Logan wrote:

Alan Davies … is considered a bit too young for the part

By looks, I guess? According to IMDB he’s 37! Peter Davison was younger than that.[/quote]

Perhaps… I’d pegged him for younger myself. Still, the average age of the Doctors was older, and I’m not sure what rough age they have in mind this time.

The following quote is what I was partially referring to – the link I gave doesn’t seem to be working. Btw, it’s not like original Dr. Who producer V. Lambert is really involved with the new project or anything, just her opinion really (hardly “verity” in truth, just wanted to make a lame little joke on her name :P), so for what it’s worth…

”BBC” wrote:

Lambert also commented on two rumoured contenders to play the Doctor; Bill Nighy and Alan Davies. “Bill’s a fantastically good actor – that would be a really good idea.” On Davies, who she has produced as the star of Jonathan Creek, Lambert conceded, “I think Alan would be very good too, BUT he is younger.”

bonnee wrote:

Logan wrote:

…Richard E. Grant is most enjoyable, if not terribly versatile from what I’ve seen (*Logan ducks rotten fowl eggs*).

The sound of his testicles in L.A. Story is the very defintion of versatility. 😡 [/quote]

Well, no need to get teste about it! 😛

nursewhen
    Participant

Don’t like the idea of Alan Davies myself. He generally does curly haired bumbling which for me would be a bit too like Tom Baker.
    I also find Richard E Grant rather unversatile, but I do think he’d make a very good Doctor of the more serious, Pertweesque type.

On a tangent here, I wasn’t happy with Paul McGann getting himself a love interest in the film. I always felt the Doctor, though fond of his assistants, looked upon them more as pets than partners.

I’d like a rather more aloof Doctor.

Anonymous

…i heard today that in e recent interview, Tom Baker has said that he’d like Eddie Izzard to take on the role. never been a fan of him myself, but knowing his style i can see why Tom thought of him. rather camp. he may well make a good Doctor, i don’t know. (apparently in the same interview, Tom Baker also said that Melinda Messenger would be a good Doctor. i think that one had something to do with her large boobs…. 🙄 )

Anonymous
    Inactive

Eddie Izzard is apparently a contender…

From reuters.co.uk

”Reuters” wrote:

Buffy star favourite to play Dr Who
    Mon 17 November, 2003 15:36

LONDON (Reuters) – Buffy star Anthony Head has been voted in a poll of Radio Times readers as their favourite to play the next Dr Who.

Head, who plays Giles in the cult US television series “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”, beat Alan Rickman into second place.

“I suppose I would be a logical choice to play the Doctor just because Giles, my character in Buffy, has the same light and dark sides and quirkiness as Doctor Who,” Head told the listings magazine on Monday.

Comedians Stephen Fry and Alan Davies were third and fourth and actor Ian Richardson was fifth.

The BBC have not announced who will play the sci-fi legend but British media say Richard E. Grant, Bill Nighy and Eddie Izzard are being considered.

The cult series aired from 1963-1989. It will return to television screens in 2005.

Jhevz
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Eddie Izzard is apparently a contender…

From reuters.co.uk

”Reuters” wrote:

Buffy star favourite to play Dr Who
    Mon 17 November, 2003 15:36

LONDON (Reuters) – Buffy star Anthony Head has been voted in a poll of Radio Times readers as their favourite to play the next Dr Who.

Head, who plays Giles in the cult US television series “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”, beat Alan Rickman into second place.

“I suppose I would be a logical choice to play the Doctor just because Giles, my character in Buffy, has the same light and dark sides and quirkiness as Doctor Who,” Head told the listings magazine on Monday.

Comedians Stephen Fry and Alan Davies were third and fourth and actor Ian Richardson was fifth.

The BBC have not announced who will play the sci-fi legend but British media say Richard E. Grant, Bill Nighy and Eddie Izzard are being considered.

The cult series aired from 1963-1989. It will return to television screens in 2005.

[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the wonderful insight, Logan,
    To have the good Dr back will be fun & enjoyable to watch; I too wonder who will play the good Dr.
    [list]1 Dr) William Hartnell: cranky, old & definitely moody at times
    2 Dr) Patrick Troughton: a clown, fun & a flutist
    3 Dr) Jon Pertwee: suave & devenire
    4 Dr) Tom Baker: a bonified nut with a long, long scarf
    5 Dr) Peter Davison: young & loves Cricket
    6 Dr) Colin Baker: very colourful, silly & active
    7 Dr) Sylvester McCoy: fun, a wee bit weird, but stunning
    8 Dr) Paul McGann: don’t really know much about him to make an assessment[/list:u]

May be the next Dr can be on more, so we Whovians can make a better judgement on him or her.

Whovians Unite,
    Jhevz 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

To boldly go where no Doctor has gone before

Looking over your list of the past Doctors, I realise just how much I liked them all. Whomever they choose, I’m sure I’ll like as long as the actor brings some NEW quirky eccentricity to the part.

Alan Rickman was my first male choice for the part — glad to see that others thought of him too. Gawd, sorry getting non-sci-fi, I loved Truly, Madly, Deeply which he co-starred in — I’m a romantic at heart in every sense of the word, which isn’t to say I disagree with NurseWhen’s point about McGann’s Doctor’s romantic interest in his assistant being unsatisfactory. Indeed, I agree that the Doctor has looked upon them as pets. He is superior to humans anyway, and he recognises and even directly voices it at times. His is a a role of “stewardship” for lesser life-forms — there to save us from our folly in a most benevolent and charming manner. His mission is not to score with earth-chicks, IMHO.

Heehee, where was I?

Oh, I really think it’s time for the patriarchal Doctor to become a little more matriarchal. Time for a female Doctor. My first choice would be Miranda Richardson. However, I’d like to see someone more “ethnic” playing the part for a change.

Now, who is going to play The Master? Well, Jonathon Pryce (Brazil) made a striking Master in the parody Dr. Who and the Curse of Fatal Death, and I’d very much like to see him reprise the role.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.