Nobody talks about E.E. ‘Doc’ Smith anymore!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Nobody talks about E.E. ‘Doc’ Smith anymore!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Why is that!? He’s one of the fathers of sci fi. Why aren’t the film-makers making films about bakealite spaceships, real swashbuckling space cowboy stuff.

Smith was a genra in himself.

And while I’m on a rant, whay haven’t we seen any decent films based on Harry Harrison stuff!?

Stainless Steel Rat for ever!

Anonymous

Well, there was the mediocre Lensman anime film. And Star Wars (namely the Jedi) is ripped off of him anyways.

Sort of how there’s been several films based off of Philip K. Dick stories/novels, and they’ve almost all been big nasty blockbuster stuff very different than the original work. Hell, Screamers was probably the most accurate adaptation.

Anonymous

And while I’m on a rant, whay haven’t we seen any decent films based on Harry Harrison stuff!?

Stainless Steel Rat for ever!

I think we could use a thread in honor of Ol’Jimmy

Probably some of the best serial Sci-Fi I’ve ever read, and it aint complicated, just light good reading. It takes a much more realisitic look into the future especially into taboo subjects (drugs aren’t that big a deal, and are used frequently by the protaganist). He’s the ultimate Han Solo character, can’t get enough of him.

Plus Angelina is a lot like Zev/Xev so what’s not to like!

I highly recommend it.

Not sure who EE Doc Smith is though =0

Anonymous
    ”stormsweeper” wrote:

Well, there was the mediocre Lensman anime film. And Star Wars (namely the Jedi) is ripped off of him anyways.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Lensman anime film – prolly because it wasn’t very good.

I never imagines that Star Wars was based on EE Doc Smith stuff! Hmm. have to think about that.

And LexxLurker, your right, Stainless Steel Rat is nothing like the heavy scary stuff of Iain Banks or the meticulous precision of Azimov – it’s just a great escapist easy read. 8)

Buk
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

Why is that!? He’s one of the fathers of sci fi. Why aren’t the film-makers making films about bakealite spaceships, real swashbuckling space cowboy stuff.

Argg. I go away for awhile and you start talking about Doc Smith! I am a big fan of his space opera. A few years a go I sent a $100 check to Old Earth Books to have the box set of the Lensman series sent to me and never got it ๐Ÿ˜ฅ However they never cashed the check and I got the trades as they came out ๐Ÿ˜› I’m hoping that someday the Skylark series will come out again.

Anonymous

Cool,

I only read the Lensman stuff but am keen to catch up on his other work.

I guess, like so much other sci fi stuff, I’ll have to try and find the time. It’d be better if there were a few cool E.E. Doc Smith films though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.