Nominations for best film of 2005

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Nominations for best film of 2005

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I was thinking of setting up a pole for Sci Fi SadGeezers Best Sci Fi Film of 2005 (mid December). Which film(s) would you nominate?

MuadDib
    Participant

Episode III I guess is one that should be there

theFrey
    Participant

Have there been any sci-fi films of worth, other than lll, to nominate?

MuadDib
    Participant

I was kinda thinkin’ along those lines as well

Anonymous
    Inactive

Surprised no one has nominated Serenity yet. I haven’t seen it as I never got into Firefly.

I haven’t even seen it yet, but I’ll nominate the pretty low-budget UK/Czech sci-fi thriller, Experiment, based on the reviews I’ve read, and the awards it’s gotten. http://www.experiment-movie.com/

HERE is a review. I’d really love to see it.

EDIT: Another one I’d be interested in seeing is Spain’s Frequently Asked Questions — interesting trailer.

Although I don’t think it’s been a good year for Hollywood sci-fi, there’s other interesting stuff out there (check your local ‘international film’ festivals if available).

MuadDib
    Participant

I can’t believe I was so un-hoopy as to forget “Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning”

For those who haven’t seen it you can download it from: http://www.starwreck.com (It’s in Finnish with subtitles)

cheesetoasty
    Participant

I was pleasantly surprised by the remake of war of the worlds which I suppose is semi sci-fi.

theFrey
    Participant

Hummm, didn’t Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy debut this year?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    theFrey wrote:

Hummm, didn’t Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy debut this year?

The movie was mostly harmless, but after so many years of anticipation (20 years plus), it was a letdown. It was actually pretty decent, but I feel it could have been so much better. Without Adams around to help oversee the project (though he did, in a way, posthumously), it was bound to be a bittersweet enterprise for me. It didn’t capture or reflect his particular genius very well I thought.

The humour just didn’t work at times, and they had to throw in the romance angle (though I believe Adams’ wrote that in himself in his screenplay version, but it wasn’t handled effectively). They played it safe, in many ways (not surprising for a big-budget commercial project). It wasn’t quite quirky or droll enough, and Adams’ distinctive voice was rather lacking, despite lifting so much straight out of his works — sometimes they edited the jokes in such a way that they didn’t work.. It wasn’t British enough.

One day I hope they make a television series based on all the Hitchhiker’s books, and I hope the adaptation will do Adams justice. I loved the TV series they did come out with, as well as the radio plays.

God I miss D.A. So long Mr. Adams, and thanks for all the fish. By thw ay, Adams fought with Dinsey for years over his screenplay, and must have made many concessions… So while this screenplay based on his screenplay and other works may have not been up to Adams’ standards, Adams’ screenplay may not have been quite up to his own standards either — just a thought. And the film direction was a little uninspired, I thought.

EDIT: By the way, yes it did come out in 2005 — though I suspect you were being rhetorical and merely observing that no one had mentioned it yet.

Did you see it? And if so, what did you think?

theFrey
    Participant

All right, this is what I found in the Sci-fi-ish area. I haven’t seen a lot of these, so some may just be sci-fi titles.

Aliens of the Deep

League of Ordinary Gentlemen

Shark Boy and Lava Girl

Batman Begins – Fantasy? Action?

Fantastic Four _ Geeze I totally forgot about this one and I saw it.

Sky High – Hey it has a rocket boster school bus in it…. going to see the DVD next week.

Serenity

Zathura

Aeon Flus – Comes out next week I think.

bonnee
    Participant

I think we should have a least worst poll – it was a pretty sad year for sci fi. Apart from War of the Worlds (which was pretty good) and Chicken Little (which referenced War of the Worlds in a surprisingly effective way), everything else was crap in my view.

Serenity and Hitchhikers particularly disappointed, and Star Wars remained too enamored with its special effects to render its risible ‘tragedy’ effectively.

Anonymous
    Logan wrote:

….I’ll nominate the pretty low-budget UK/Czech sci-fi thriller, Experiment, based on the reviews I’ve read, and the awards it’s gotten. http://www.experiment-movie.com/

…. Another one I’d be interested in seeing is Spain’s Frequently Asked Questions — interesting trailer.

I’d really likke to see both these too. Unfortunately for the Poll, Frequently Asked Questions is actually a 2004 film and I think Experiment is currently only being shown at film festivals 🙁 So I can’t really include them.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Well, my best movies this year were

no 1 – Harry Potter and the goblet of fire
    no 2 – The Fantastic Four
    no 3 – The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    no 4 – Batman Begins

I have a strong feeling that King Kong is going to slip in there, probably at number 2.

Im still stoked over HP4.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.