Not that it matters now but i had a birthday.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Not that it matters now but i had a birthday.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mandara k
    Participant

So happy birthday to me on the 27th. I’m not surprised that no one would care. I was in the ER having IV fluids; thanks for asking.

Sorry to be such a downer to all of you insider Sadgeezers but I just thought you would like to know from someone on the fringe of ot all that we are real pwoplw too and have feeelings and birthdays, too. Rhus I prove my point of bias. A majority of the time I am either ignored here, or attacked and rarely quoted. Then I go and lurk on Lexx.com and they are using my phrases ir ideas. So, which is it. I’d happily leave this behind if my imput is not wanted nor my presence.

If I had a site, I would make it a site that everyone would feel welcome; not ignored. i don’t have to like all that is saud but I do have a responsibility to acknowldge it. It is the adage of disliking the words or actions not the person.

Well, thanks for a good year at least. Good luck to you all and honesly I think you will need it.

Anonymous

Im sorry about your problems I really am. But Im not privy to your real life issues nor your birthday and I really cant read minds to find out this. Nor can the others on this board.

As far as I know there is no secret conspiricy other than making damn sure I never get access to that Moderator Section where the super secret script for Lexx Series 5 is kept.

This is just a small community that has many things going on in the real world so you wont see many new posts a day here now that Lexx has died down. If you feel somehow this makes you ‘ignored’ Im truly sorry. Many times hell I dont even revisit my own threads, there’s just too little time.

As for people attacking you, I cant help there. I havent seen any threads where anyone attacked you, but you just point me in their direction and Ill be on em like a pitbull =0

Again Im sorry you feel this way, and even more sorry you decided to lump us altogether in such a negative light. Hope everything works out for you.

ADM
    Participant

Mandara, like Lexxlurker said there is never anything personal going on here, nobody goes out of their way to ignore other’s.
    It’s simply that this site isn’t always buzzing with activity (especially this time of year), couple that with the fact that the sci-fi world has very little to offer at the mo, you get very little input on the board.
    As for birthday’s, well mine was 19th November and no one noticed, but it doesn’t bother me and it shouldn’t you.
    The truth is everyone here ignores everyone else, most people will only respond if a post interests them or if they can be bothered. The net has so very little too offer nowadays, so it’s nice too come somewhere to read posts and reply, but when there isn’t much activity it can be a downer, but it really is the nature of this board, sometimes it can go three days before someone comes up with something to post or even reply.
    Cheer up Mandara, things aren’t always as bad as they seem.
    ADM

theFrey
    Participant

Happy Birthday Mandara. Sorry it was such a bummer. Which would of course make one a tad grumpy. But as they say, ‘What doesn’t kill us, p*sses us off.’ And as we all know there is no more powerful force in the world than that.

Oh you package arrive! Thanks, it make it intack! How cool is that? Oh and I talked to Blackcloud Friday. She said to pass on a ‘Hey girl’ next time we talked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

quote:

Originally posted by mandara k:
    So happy birthday to me on the 27th. I’m not surprised that no one would care. I was in the ER having IV fluids; thanks for asking.

Happy belated birthday Mandara K! Ah, um, er, you were having IV fluids? What a coincidence! On my birthday I was also having, er, four fluids — beer, wine, scotch, and tequilla! Ah, or was it V fluids? Yeah, um, I distinctly remember having gin as well before I passed out.

But seriously, I’m sorry to hear about your medical problems, and if I’d known I would have definitely asked, but, as you probably know, I’m still relatively new here. Take care!

Sorry to be such a downer to all of you insider Sadgeezers but I just thought you would like to know from someone on the fringe of ot all that we are real pwoplw too and have feelings and birthdays, too.

I guess you’re on the mod’s birthday list — it’s the Holiday season, and Mary Beth mentioned that she’d been busy, and so I can understand her forgetting, or not being able to mention some of the birthdays on time.

*** Oh, a good idea for the new Sad-board might be to have a list with everyone’s birthday posted. My birthday isn’t for a few months, I’ll let you know later what I want for my birthday — I’m thinking my very own SadGeezer forum! ***

[T]hus I prove my point of bias. A majority of the time I am either ignored here, or attacked and rarely quoted. Then I go and lurk on Lexx.com and they are using my phrases ir ideas. So, which is it. I’d happily leave this behind if my imput is not wanted nor my presence.

I spend very little time here but I know that I haven’t ignored you, and a quick search shows me that others haven’t either (e.g. Elmey, FX, Trini-T), and that’s just from a few of the most recent topics you’ve written in (just over the last couple of weeks or so). In fact, you were quoted or mentioned in most of the recent ones I looked at that you posted in.

For example:
    Lexx is DEAD
    So what is the draw?
    Taken in?

As for being “attacked”, at least in the examples I’ve found I think “debated” may be a more appropriate term (I would imagine that most of us do like debates here):
    arrrgghhhhh!!!!! But then again, I’m rather new, so I can’t really debate you on that point.

Who is using your ideas at Lexx.com? Does it verge on plagiarism? I hate it when people steal my stuff, but often people do have the same, or similar ideas. Anyway, our own ideas are always built on other’s ideas (we internalise other people’s ideas etc.) — no so called “original” idea appears out of a vacuum. Anyway, I suggest that you move out of lurk mode, and if you have sufficient evidence to indicate that someone “stole” your idea, then you may wish to tactfully mention it. E.g. “That’s funny, I had a similar idea at Sadgeezers…” (then quote it and give the link). That way you’re not accusing them of stealing the idea, but if it’s clear that they probably did then the other Lexx.com posters will be made aware of it. Remember, it may be coincidental, or it may be unintentional. As for stealing phrases; are these ones you coined yourself? If it’s outright plagiarism, whenever someone is posting what someone else wrote they should put it in quotes, mention the author (cite the source), and include a link (if it’s a book, they should include the title). And if they’re paraphrasing they should still mention the author and source, and even if they have purposefully taken someon’e idea and expanded on it with their own thoughts, it’s usually best to cite the inspiration.

I can’t speak for the others but I appreciate your input here, and would say that sometimes the best posts are the hardest to respond to. And I for one see little point in replying if I completely agree with the person — I want to be able to add something to the discussion. If I disagree, or see a different angle, I’m usually more likely to respond. Oh, and if someone is funny I generally don’t respond unless I can think of something that is also funny in its own right (I’m not about to just write “LOL” because somebody made me laugh.

quote:

If I had a site, I would make it a site that everyone would feel welcome; not ignored. i don’t have to like all that is saud but I do have a responsibility to acknowldge it. It is the adage of disliking the words or actions not the person.

Well, thanks for a good year at least. Good luck to you all and honesly I think you will need it.

I would to, but I have been made to feel welcome here.

Obviously your beef is with admin., and moderators (heck we all feel a little dissed by them at times, I mean who here doesn’t want to be the administration’s pet?), and I guess with the other “insiders”. I suppose that I am another person on the fringes, so I want to make clear that I understand that your post is not at all directed against the little people (outsiders) like me; in fact you want “us’ to be treated better. I appreciate that, but, and I can only speak for myself, I think they’re doing a fine job, and appreciate the great efforts they go to to make this the great site that I believe it is. I may not agree with the actions of the admin/mods all the time (with the possible exception of Sad), but I still respect them, and I think that they show us respect too. Respect all around, that’s we all really want.

Sorry for such a long post, and forgive me if I haven’t said anything useful. I’m still a Sadgeezer newbie, don’t know the people here that well yet, and am still finding my way. But once again, happy belated birthday, and Mandara, I really do like your presence here. Anyone that can make me laugh (as many of your posts do) ranks high in my books! Thanks!

From another poster on the SadGeezer fringes — I know I’m not an insider but I’ve never been made to feel like an outsider.

Logan

P.S. Soory if I rambled a bit, this post got so long that I may have repeated myself at times, and lost my way.

P.P.S. As an “outsider” my opinion may not be worth much around here (heck, I don’t believe that), but comin’ from this little guy, I really have appreciated your contribution here Mandara, and that includes this thread. Thanks again!

Outsiders of the world revolt!

Anonymous

Belated birthday greetings Mandara–sorry to hear it was such a difficult day for you. I hope you’re recovering. Illness is often a very isolating experience–and it definitely sucks big time to be in ER on your birthday.

I hope you can tell from the responses here that very few people really feel like “insiders”–maybe just the moderators do, I think it comes with the job . I’ve never actually considered myself an insider anywhere much less here, I don’t think I have the temperament for it. You have to work too hard to keep your insider status–and what’s it get you in the end? I don’t feel like an outsider either, I figure my comments are as valid as anyone else’s and leave it at that–and I sure think yours are too.

Anyway I hope it is a good New Year for everyone–and you’re damn right we’re going to need a lot of luck to not end up like
    we did in Yo way yo.

elmey

Rag
    Participant

Happy Birthday MK (hope you feeling better and a bit snugglier after the above comments) and to ADM… and in a coupla days… me.

Don’t get too down cos people forgot your birthdays (or in most cases, didn’t know). A few years back EVERYONE forgot my birthday. Friends and family alike. That’s the trouble with having your birthday on New Years Day. Far too many hang overs kicking around. It doesn’t mean we love you any less…

So to all those whose birthdays have ever been forgotten…

Happy Birthday

Anonymous

MANDARA K.- Happy belated B-day!!!! Since I don’t (and never have) put much importance on Birthdays for myself, I (ignorantly) often disregard other peoples, too. I am known to be notoriously indifferent to the passage of time…what’s behind is behind and how many years I’ve been around is …well, just not important, as well as downright depressing! If it matters to you, Happy, happy next birthday! I sincerely mean it! Since it doesn’t sound like hellsbells of a time, we shall rectify that when we next get together! A post birthday un-birthday celebration, perhaps at Dragon Con? Perhaps sooner (and closer!) Now that the holidays are on the downside, I’ll have much more time for my Lexx friends!!! =)And I have missed them very, very much!!!

Anonymous

i am very sorry that you were in the hospital Mandara K. and that it was on your birthday.

Happy Belated Birthday Mandara K!!!

honey i am sorry i didn’t post a birthday topic for you, but i honestly didn’t know it was your b-day. the only reference i have for the birthdays is the birthday thread that Slopmaster started when the Pub forum first started. i will see if there is a way to rectify this so there are no more hurt feelings. the Pub is a place for Sadgeezers to post topics other than scifi and get to know each other better. i actually put all the birthdays on my calender so i wouldn’t forget (i was late a few times!) and i have already tranferred the b-days that i have to my new calender. i am sorry i didn’t know your birthday this year but you will get big birthday wishes from me and the other geezers next year!!!
    again Happy Belated Birthday Mandara K and i hope the new year finds you healthy and happy!

I guess you’re on the mod’s birthday list — it’s the Holiday season, and Mary Beth mentioned that she’d been busy, and so I can understand her forgetting, or not being able to mention some of the birthdays on time.

thank you for your kindness Logan! and yes it has been hectic this holiday season. my husband and i travel over 1700 miles roundtrip by car to visit my family! and 1 day after i get home i find out that my grandfather who raised me from the age of 12, is in the hospital with pneumonia. he is also suffering from alzhiemers (sp?) so hectic may not be the right word! but i do want to assure all you geezers that i do check the forums i moderate almost everyday. yes i do miss a day here and there, but not too often. i am sorry that i don’t get to post as much as i want, but my back problem limits my time on the computer. i have just been checking to make sure that everyone is behaving and to post when i feel that it is absolutely necessary to clear up a misunderstanding or something of that nature. i do hope that you all understand.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ONE AND ALL!!!!

Rag
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    i am sorry that i don’t get to post as much as i want

God! Don’t appologise! It sounds like your having a rough patch yourself. It’s obvious how much the moderators here care about what they do, and the people who post here. And I really respect you all for that. But it does concern me when I here comments like yours above. Don’t ever be sorry for concentrating on the important things. We’re all big boys and girls. We miss you when your not around, but don’t waste your time freting about us when you can’t be here as much as you’d like.

Take care of yourself first, worry about us when everything is calmer.

We’ll be here.

[ 06-01-2003: Message edited by: Rag ]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.