Nothing to do with Sci-Fi, but instead musicals!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Nothing to do with Sci-Fi, but instead musicals!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

Well, my sis and I are big musical lovers. We love Phantom, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats, The King and I, West Side Story, Grease, Sound of Music, and Fiddler on the Roof just to name a few. Speaking of Phantom, what do you all think of the possibility of Antonio Banderas being the Phantom? I’m just outraged! Sure, he did a good job in Evita, but he’s no Michael Crawford. If I were casting the movie, I would put the originals – Sarah Brightman (what a voice) and Michael Crawford (great voice too) – in it. I can’t believe that Andrew Lloyd Webber is even considering Antonio! Maybe, Antonio could play Raoul, but not the Phantom!

——————
    “I love you” “I know” – Princess Leia and Han Solo
    “First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me, blow” – Ash from Army of Darkness
    “Darling, you idiot!” – Lum from Urusei Yatsura
    “Who is this Anya!? Is she prettier than me!?” Xander’s sock puppet friend from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Anonymous

Phantom is always good although ones like Grease, the Sound of Music and the King and I have almost been done to death.

——————
    Studies show that alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug-burns to the forehead.

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

You know, you’re right. Even though I loved Anna and the King, I just watch it, and I think about how many times that they’ve told this story (and the best telling has been the musical with Deborrah Kerr and Yul Brenner). It’s funny, but some of the best musicals that I’ve seen have been at Theatre West Virginia. It’s an ampitheatre about an hour from my house. They put on big musicals like Grease, Bye Bye Birdie, South Pacific, etc. there, but they also do some great original productions like Hatfield and McCoys (about the great original family feud) and Honey in the Rock. One of the best musicals that I’ve seen was Phantom in Cincinnatti. It was just a great cast. One of the worst was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I love it, but the cast was terrible. David Alan Grier was good, but the rest of the people were bad.

——————
    “First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me, blow” – Ash from Army of Darkness
    “Who is this Anya!? Is she prettier than me!?” Xander’s sock puppet friend from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Anonymous

I think Sarah is a little too old to be playing an ingénue like Christine. I mean, you might be able to pull it off onstage but, not on film. And, Michael may be too pudgey (that film thing, again). Don’t get me wrong, I saw it with them and I’d pay to see them again. But, you know how TV people are. Antonio Banderas’ voice is not bad but it ain’t all that! I think he’s being considered because of the TV camera thing. The camera loves his face, as do most women.
    I think he’d be a better Raoul, too. They need someone who’s not too bad looking and not too good looking, someone that gives you that “Ack! I’m repulsed, yet oddly intrigued” feeling; someone like Malkovich or…Wait! What about Mandy Patinkin? It seems that the world’s forgotten that man has a voice that would melt butter! (he sang Che Guevarra in “Evita” **sigh!**) And, since I can’t drag myself away from the Lexx life even for a minute, I think the Jeremy, who played the Master of Ceremonies in ‘Brigadoom’ would be great as one of the theatre owners or even Piangi, the tenor, no the Chorus Master, Reyer! (okay, I’m liking the idea of casting this way too much )

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by NuageNoir:
    I think Sarah is a little too old to be playing an ingénue like Christine. I mean, you might be able to pull it off onstage but, not on film. And, Michael may be too pudgey (that film thing, again). Don’t get me wrong, I saw it with them and I’d pay to see them again. What about Mandy Patinkin? It seems that the world’s forgotten that man has a voice that would melt butter! (he sang Che Guevarra in “Evita” **sigh!**)

Well, you certainly do have a point. Sarah is getting older (although I do hope that I could look like her when I’m her age – btw, how old is she? 35, 36 or so?) And, Michael is putting on weight. So, you think Mandy Patinkin. I didn’t know that he could sing (oh, yeah, Yentle). I always remember him as that guy from The Princess Bride.

——————

Anonymous

…Michael Crawford and Mandy Patinkin…ooo…*melts into a little pile of mush*
    several things to say about this topic:

-Michael Crawford IS the Phantom
    -Christine should SO have picked him over Raoul
    -I fail to see the wisdom in casting a cute guy (i.e. Antonio) as the Phantom. I mean, the character’s sexy as hell, but he’s ugly as hell too.
    -“Hallo. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. prepare to die!.”(lol, couldn’t resist)

——————
    Gideon: I thought you said you don’t hold a grudge.
    Galen: I don’t. I have no living enemies. At all.

Christine Carroll
    Participant

This has nothing to do with the orginal “musical” topic sorry… this is for Catalina…. Do you like Crusade?? I know you do, can you give me any info on if it will be playing at all on any Channel?? Or can anyone else?? I love crusade!!!! I love Matt and I love Galen !! they are BOTH HOTTES!!! (there are just to many hottes in SciFi) ….I made the wrost mistake in my life… after I recorded the Crusade episodes I forgot to pull the little plastic tab off the cassette and while I was watching it I pushed the record button and STUPID me I did this on ALL THREE recorded tapes!!! I don’t know how I did this but I did!!! ( I think I was in to much of a state of excitement) So I have bits and pecies of Crusade mixed in with other programs !!! So If any one can tell me when they are playing anywhere in the USA I would really be GREATFUL !! I need to record MY GALEN and MATT!!!! Thanks !!
    P.S. Catalina I love those quots that you are picking from Crusade!!! I love that when were Galen is talking about the love of his life….Its so sad and heart warming at the same time !!!

——————
    “to air is human” or is it “the air is human” ?? matt Gideon “Crusade”

“Look for me by the moonlight-
    Watch for me by moonlight-

I’ll come to thee by the moonlight,

though Hell should bar the way”

——-The Highwayman

Excerpt from “Exquisite Corpse” by Poppy Brite

“Late in the year,New Orleans still has its hot days. In the slave quaters, Jay and Tran blossomed like the giant stinking carrion-flowers that grow in humid jungles. Their ravaged abdomens swelled and burst like red-petals, a jubliee of rot. Their putrescent fluids pooled on the concrete floor and in the hollows of their disintegrating bodies. …Their faces, c**** and B**** grew into shapeless masses of blackened flesh. Swollen tongues like ball gags forced their jaws wide. Organs tumbled out of their bodies like distended winebags. From their decomposition rose wisps of steam and soft wet sounds of gaseous intimacy….Tran fell out of his binding straps and melted slowly into Jay’s ribcage. A large, faintly iridescent stain ate up the concrete floor around them. Their eyes were black caverns.They gave birth to worms, generation after generation, until their bodies were covered as if in a living blanket. Soon they were picked clean, their bones an ivory sculpture-puzzle shining in the dark, waiting to tell their mute love story.

Anonymous

Well, Aeryn, according to this lovely Sarah would be about 40 years old. And, she’s made good use of those years producing some wonderful sounds to awe us. Like I said, I’d pay to see both (Crawford/Brightman) of them again.

******************BlackCloud*****************

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.