Official word on the Lexx comic book…

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Official word on the Lexx comic book…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lexxathon
    Participant

This is to clear up bad info floating around about the status of the Lexx comic book:

http://www.lexxusa.com/graphicnovel.htm

The rights for the comic book have already been obtained. The scripts are being worked on by Brian and Jeff. The name of the artist is Corvis (who was at Dragon Con, signing autographs at the Lexx table for a while…) The fact that the comic book is in progress has been mentioned on Brian’s site, also.

http://www.lexxusa.com/galleries/Dragonconvideo.htm

Here, in the Little Blue Planet Tour video, Brian talks about the upcoming projects, including a brief comment on the comic book.

But, mostly, here is the official statement, direct from Brian about the status of the comic book:

Den’s research is usually very thorough, but what he may not have
    realized is the extent of the corporate greed that exists within
    Alliance Atlantis. What they have agreed to do, both in terms of the
    movie, and in terms of a comic book (graphic novel, if you prefer) is to
    issue licences. It is true that AA themselves are not particularly
    interested in production , preferring to concentrate on distribution,
    but have no problem allowing others to continue with a series (or
    feature, or comic, etc.) for a fee. For them , it is money for nothing –
    no risk, all gain. So, to make it clear, work is on going on a number of
    fronts with the licensed permission from Alliance Atlantis.

Just in case anyone is worried, Valdron has already seen Brian’s statement, and knows that these are the facts, and is hoping to find out more at a later date to add to his book. Ain’t no one steppin on V’s toes…

Anyone who wants to keep up with the official word on this should check back on either http://www.briandowney.biz or http://www.lexxusa.com.

Remember, if you have a question, you can always go to Brian’s website and ASK BRIAN HIMSELF DIRECTLY ON HIS MESSAGE BOARD!!!

Thank you. We will now return to our regularly scheduled message board…

theFrey
    Participant

Thanks for the info Moth, but no one here doubted it I think. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

I’m glad to hear the comic book is making progress, but I think most of the questioning on the other boards had to do less with the comic book and more with the Lexx movie that Xenia said would start production next spring. I assume the above comments touch on that as well.

You know I love the show and the actors–and I can understand up to a point that they want to keep the option of a new Lexx film or series alive, that’s their prerogative. I’m not sure they realize though that a lot of people read their comments about upcoming films and spinoffs and take it as gospel that something will happen soon.

Frankly, I don’t see how Brian’s statement negates the Valdron comments he’s responding to. Valdron basically stated that AA owns the rights to Lexx and is not interested in spending money on making a movie or a series or a comic book for that matter–if someone else wants to spend the money, they’ll license the name for a fee. Brian is now confirming that there is no money from AA for a film or a new series or a comic book but if someone could raise the funds, AA would say, go ahead, but you’ll have to pay us a license fee since we own the rights to Lexx. That’s how it works when you own something. There’s still no indication that anyone else is willing to put 12 or 15 million (a very conservative estimate) or whatever into a film/TV project. I admire Brian and Jeff for pushing ahead with the comic book anyway, without any guarantee of recoupment.

This isn’t meant to be unkind, but I don’t understand the need for the ongoing pretense on this subject. It’s unbelievably hard for independents to find financing for film or television projects, and it’s a full time job. It’s a miracle Lexx got made in the first place. It will take years to get the financing together, especially if Paul Donovan is not involved.

I imagine most of you won’t agree, but I’ve been thinking that maybe we, the fans, need to give the actors a chance to also stand back a bit so they can think about whether they really want to devote the next few years of their lives to trying to resurrect something that was very special but that already “died well”.

elmey

Lexxathon
    Participant
    ”elmey” wrote:

I imagine most of you won’t agree, but I’ve been thinking that maybe we, the fans, need to give the actors a chance to also stand back a bit so they can think about whether they really want to devote the next few years of their lives to trying to resurrect something that was very special but that already “died well”.

elmey

Died well? OUCH!

Fans who truly support the show and the actors themselves should always let the stars know that we support them. The actors showed up at the con, and openly talked about the comic book (not a movie) at the booth and during the panel discussion. The artist for the comic book signed autographes of his Bunny and 790 drawings at the con.

In this instance, I think that they’ve already made the decision. The main point now is to let them know that we, as fans and consumers, look forward to seeing what they’ve got, and assuring them that it will be a well recieved, profitable venture. (Ain’t that what it always comes down to: MONEY!) My main point is to see that the correct information is available, direct from them, not from others outside the loop. (That’s not a shot at Valdron!!! I love what Den has done, and want to see his book published! Please, never think that I’m dis’in Den…)

As far as what Xenia said about a movie, nobody’s got a clue what the magazine is talking about. Probably not even something that came from her, but some publicity monkey who’s trying to pad things for her. We may never know…

mandara k
    Participant

Uh-oh Lexathon be careful of your wording. It sounds like you are saying that “true” LEXX fans will back them through kingdom come on anything LEXX. That’s not neccessarily a fan but really says fanatic. I think we discussed the difference before. If you want fanatics target them; if you want both ….well….. it would depend on the story now would it not? We all were drawn to LEXX for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky and over the years many have come and gone. I actually did closure on it in DC but does that mean I wouldn’t pick up the comic, or be supportive of those who created the show? No, but don’t sell it on name alone; sell it on merit unless making money is what they want to do.

I may not be the extroverted type and I had other things to do than hang around with the cast at DC so enlighten me and humor me. What is the comic book doing? And for cripes sake do it in text; I cannot access any filming that happened at MegaCon or at DC. I want it text if possible. Not all of us have new computers ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

I know people hate Disney but I loved what they did with the Japanese anime of Spirited Away. All of that imagination! It was exciting to watch and this…. THIS is kiddie stuff about a ten year old girl. it wasn’t steeped in sex; it has some violence yes but it was captivating.

Do not sell out LEXX; hold out for the right story to pursue.

Anonymous

I can pretty much recite the first three seasons of Lexx by heart, that’s how much of a fanatic I am towards LEXX.

That said. I think any production that does not include Lex or Paul is a waste of time and a misguided attempt to appease the fans. There was already a comic-book form of LEXX it was called: “Prime Ridge”; “Xevivor”; “Mort”; “Midsummers Nightmare” etc….

All the above Series 4 episodes were fairly “Stand-alone” comedic tales that clearly didn’t indicate a “total” collaboration.

Look at Series 3. By far the most intelligent, content driven plot I’ve ever watched save for ’24’. Jeff H. didnt pen a single word from that series. It just wasent his thing, he’s a brilliant satrist, and a genius for subtle and blunt humor. But he alone cannot possibly drive this series. And exactly how much writing did Brian contribute during the 4 series of LEXX? It really sounds like a suspicious case of “Lets milk the fans”, but anyone who’s ever met Brian knows how much he loves his fans.

Without being long-winded, anything without Paul and Lex together cannot possibly be considered anything less than a total sellout. And imho will drive away more fans like myself than gather them in support. Heck even the playing cards turned people off, and I LOVED them.

As for the movie?

Considering that every single Sci-Fi show has the equivilant of Savefarscape.com and we are all lined up signing petitions (see 25,000 sigs for Wes Cravens “Alice” which didn’t get past the script phase) you’ve quite the Herculian task ahead. Xenia Seeburg has been claiming for the last 3 years there is going to be a LEXX movie. Now Brian Downey. What does it tell you when actors(who frankly arent doing much else) run around claiming there’s going to be a movie while the writers and producers are all saying “HUH?”. It’s like a little league player telling you his team will be in the Olympics.

I wish you the best of luck I truly do, but there’s more a chance of me watching the Red Dwarf movie tommarrow as there will be a LEXX film in the next 20 years. And if it does happen I will be the first in line wearing a 790 head and love-slave outfit which I will post on the front page of Sadgeezer. I am a LEXX fanatic, but I am also a person who believes Series 4 could’ve been EASILY cut down to 8-12 episodes. But Sci-Fi ordered and Paul delivered. More money-driven content just brings LEXX down, it doesent add to it imo. And in the wild chance the movie is made, where can it possibly go? LEXX is dead, Kai is dead, Stanley is nearing retirement age, and Xev is no longer played by the teen to early 20s hot gal.

The way I feel LEXX should rest in peace. I’d much rather see more of the Beans “Tales from a Parallel Universe” than watch LEXX turn into something like Star Trek with 8 old men running around a bridge.

Coming soon LEXX2: The Wrath of Mantrid followed by LEXX3: The Search for Kai?

Jhevz
    Participant

Wow, LexxLurker,
    That’s a unique perspective on Lexx; I haven’t thought about like that before. That made me think of the show quite differently; & I thank you for that. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I can’t wait for the other 2; they both sound very interesting, (The Wrath of Mandrid & The Search for Kai). ๐Ÿ™‚

Lexxian to Lexxian,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

mandara k
    Participant

I think they should do an ep to rival Brigadoom called Tweedle-dude-Tweedle- done …..set …in the wilds of Newfoundland with an “All That Jazz” feel. 790 can be the bitchity choreographer on a modified 4-wheeling cart that goes around the dancers…. snipping at them to jump higher or something. And the chorus line can be the fans now; with the final sequence a feathered and sequined affair with BD in a red tux with the 4 on the top hat. We could adapt the song “What I Did for Love” for “What I Did for LEXX.” You know it’s got everything location shots and that Vegas feel now we need the love interest and some sort of mental anguish ๐Ÿ™„

Anonymous
    ”mandara wrote:

And the chorus line can be the fans now…

That’s three movies worth of mental anguish right there! (for the audience I mean ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

elmey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.