OK, here’s my angst

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

When Enterprise premiered, I did NOT want to like it. I still see it as Tricky Ricky Berman’s attempt to get out from under Big Daddy Gene’s shadow and say, “See, it’s MY Trek. I was here FIRST.” To prove it, he’s still going for the heavy T&A factor by putting the female Vulcan in a cat suit, which is as illogical as putting a Borg in high heels! Also, it irks me that the Enterprise NX-01 is MORE technologically advanced looking than the NCC-1701 (no bloody A, B, C, or D)!

But, I’ve always liked Scott Bakula – and they ARE letting me see him naked (or nearly see him ) in the shower – and I find I need to hear an uplifting song like “Faith of the Heart” in these dark times. Anyway, liking Enterprise is not the source of my angst.

The thing I’m angsting (OK, I made that word up, it’s NOT in the dictionary ) over is this: is it permissible to drool over 2 characters in the same series?? As the show grows on me I find myself paying more and more attention to the Tactical Officer, Reed. That cute little pouty mouth, the accent ( I have a weakness for British accents)…. ooooo, I feel a drool coming on ….

Back when I was a devoted Forever Knight fan, I almost hurt myself drooling over Nick Knight AND Michael McManus’ character in “For I Have Sinned” and later Nick Knight AND Karl Pruner’s (of Total Recall 2070 fame) character in “Faithful Followers.” Not having learned my lesson the first time, I almost hurt myself again when I discovered Due South a few years ago and drooled over Benton Fraser AND Karl Pruner’s character in “One Good Man, aka Thank You Kindly, Mr. Capra.”

I’m really in trouble now if there’s a biological imperative against drooling over 2 characters at once. This time it’s REALLY serious! Archer and Reed are REGULAR characters!! If someone else I find drool-worthy makes a guest appearance ….. I’m a GONER!!!

MM
    Obsessions come, obsessions go

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Micromary:
    To prove it, he’s still going for the heavy T&A factor by putting the female Vulcan in a cat suit, which is as illogical as putting a Borg in high heels! Also, it irks me that the Enterprise NX-01 is MORE technologically advanced looking than the NCC-1701 (no bloody A, B, C, or D)!

But, I’ve always liked Scott Bakula

7 of 9 and T’Pol(?) is just blatent T&A, I always imagined Vulcans in robes, like in First Contact.

As fro NX-01 looking more advanced then everything but Enterprise E, I’m goign to have to group that with the Klingons looking more alien as TNG and DS9 advanced, escpecilly compared to TOS. I think it has more to do with advances in special effects and set design then “Star Trek Culture”. If TOS had what we have now, it his owuldn’t be an issue. I do like how DS9 explained the crappy Klingon look in there tie in to Trouble with Tribbles. Worf said, “We don’t talk about it with outsiders”.

As for Scott Bakula. I’ve ALWAYS been a fan of his. Everythign from Quantum Leap, his cameos on Murphy Brown to Enterprise

My rant about Enterprise is how it started off well but now it’s boring and seems like continuation of Voyager plot. Minus the delta quadrant thing.

Anonymous

Ol’ Tricky Ricky (like that!!!) seems to want to reinvent Trek in his own image, but I guess you gotta to say fair play, I mean how could you make a programme that is meant to be based before TOS and have it not look like a 60’s programme.
    The Enterprise looks like a vessel seen in future Trek (I thought I saw one in Best of Both Worlds), it’s certainly unlike the Enterprise of TOS, and it’s difficult to imagine how it could evolve into what is now a sorry looking starship (the original).
    Personally, I think that at some point TOS will have to be ignored to make Enterprise believable.
    You really have to put it out of your mind, but I guess Berman can’t get around the look problem, if it looked 60’s then no one would watch, but then if it doesn’t, then it makes it looked advanced.
    I think I prefer Berman’s vision, as the 60’s were corny, it’s kinda like TOS was a representation of that timeline, but Enterprise is the historical truth!!!!
    Squishy

dgrequeen
    Participant

Enterprise lost me after about the second episode. The minute they started in with the technobabble, I was outta there.

T’Pol is an @$$hole in my opinion. Vulcans can be likable, even when they’re being coldly logical, but she’s just downright contemptuous of everybody on that ship.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    T’Pol is an @$$hole in my opinion. Vulcans can be likable, even when they’re being coldly logical, but she’s just downright contemptuous of everybody on that ship.

While the infighting is annoying, IMHO it makes this one of the more believable treks. People don’t automatically get along anymore.

In B5 not all memebers of the same species got along with each other. I doubt that humans will ever be as nice to each other as they are in Trek. We have too many different cultures for that.
    Conflict, no matter how small, is enividable.

Anonymous

I think that like with all things if you dont grow you die, the new Enterprise has to show what tech. the producers can come up with to put on a TV show now. I like the look of the new show and have drooled over Scott B for years.( and you can drool over 2 people on 1 show and drool over people on other shows at the same time) But this is supose to be before we trusted anyone but ourselfs and I hope as the show gose on there will be more trust among the crew. My main beef with the show is its crewed by mutes. No one talks but the main 6. Guess crew members who are killed off dont count!
    I want an O’Rielly!!!!!!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Monkey:
    My main beef with the show is its crewed by mutes. No one talks but the main 6. Guess crew members who are killed off dont count!
    I want an O’Rielly!!!!!!

Micro sings a very off-key “Let Me Take You Hoooome Again, Cathleeeeen” for Monkey. Then she drinks the milk…..
    *croak*

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.