Once Upon a time…. by theFrey (Sections 1-2)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Original Science Fiction Once Upon a time…. by theFrey (Sections 1-2)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

Once upon a time, there was a fair young/old man named Kai-drella. Kai co-existed with the beautiful but wicked Xev-sister, the not so beautiful, spoiled and selfish Stan-the-man, and the whiney robot head 790.

No matter how hard Kai slaved to keep these three demanding entities safe from harm, they were NEVER HAPPY. “Kai, rescue me from this blood-sucking demon!”

“Kai, save me from Prince!”

“Kai, kiss me, or I’ll DIE!”

Kai was patient, emotionless, and mostly moral according to his own fashion. But even Nearly Perfect beings have their limits.
    One day when Kai was pondering over the memories from His Shadow he felt somebody knocking on him on his back.

Kai turned to see Stan standing there sulking.

“I hate him!” Stan said

Kai looked seriously on Stan and said, “Hate whom?”

“790! Don’t you just hate him too?”

“The dead don’t hate!” Kai said with an cool voice.

“The dead don’t this, the dead don’t that! What do the dead do” Stan snorted back to Kai.

Kai lowered his chin a bit while considering his answer. For although Stan was prone to asking dozens of foolish questions everyday, Kai always tried very hard to give him a rational answer so as not to upset him.
    However the more Kai thought about Stan’s question, the more disturbed he became. For while it was true that the dead did not hate, it was possible, if one tried very, very hard, to p*ss them off. Kai’s eyes narrowed as he considered all of the times that he had bailed these three annoying companions of his out of trouble.

Not realizing how truly annoying he was being, since he never did. Stan interrupted Kai’s thoughts. “Well?” Demanded Stan. “I bet you can’t answer me huh. You know why? ’cause the dead don’t *do* anything!”

Kai’s eyes widened slightly and then he glared up at Stan from beneath lowered brows. “I will tell you,” he growled in a menacing voice, “What I do. I save you and Xev and 790 on a regular basis. I do this *not* in the name of his Divine Shadow, and certainly not for the *pleasure* of your company. And I have never once received anything in return for doing this.”

Stan retreated slightly at the dangerous tone of Kai’s voice, but since he really wasn’t very smart, he couldn’t stop himself from retorting. “And what exactly do you expect in return,” Stan sneered, “since the Dead *do not* have wants or desires.”

Something snapped in Kai. “You are right,” he informed Stan in a very cold voice. “The dead *do not* have desires, but they require maintenance, and not once have you or Xev offered to help me with my hair. I think… I think…. that until both of you learn how to *properly* fix my bun and braid my hair that I will not concern myself with *your* problems.”

“WHAT!” Screeched Stan, throwing his hands up in horror. “You can’t do that, I heard that Prince has been seen around the county. He wants to imprison us! What will we do if he comes here!”

“I don’t know Stan, I suggest you get 790 and Xev and start learning what you need to know. But I do suggest that it is easier to learn how to do hair than it is to learn to self defense.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

And off he went to think in privacy. But little did he know, when he walked among the flowers in the garden, that Prince would ride by on his black stallion.

“Hello, Kai. And what is a dead man doing all alone here?” said Prince with a smile.

Kai pondered, looking up at Prince. “Why would I not be alone?”

“Because Xev and Stan and 790 follow you almost everywhere you go, do they not?”

“Not always,” Kai replied, though as he thought about it he realized they did do it quite often.

Prince smiled again. “Xev would like to follow you into other places as well, I think.”

“What Xev would like is impossible. I am incapable of satisfying her needs.”

“And what about your needs, Kai?”

“As I am dead, I have no needs.”

“Really? How sad. A love slave with no love, and a dead man with no needs.”

“What are your needs, Prince?” Kai asked suddenly.

“You would not understand,” Prince replied rather sadly. “I must take my leave of you for now. Cheery-bye.” He spurred his horse and left.

Kai watched him ride away. He did not understand what Prince meant. But he DID know that Prince was no Prince Charming. He should go and check on Xev and Stan. Then he remembered what he had said to Stan, how they never offered to do anything for him, and instead he sat down on the ground. He knew it would only be a matter of time before Xev or Stan came looking for him.

He sat for some time. No one came. He felt some of his hair falling down. He tried to push it away, but it kept coming back. It was good that he could not get frustrated.

“Here, Kai, let me do that,” a voice murmured. It was Prince, minus his horse. He held a comb and some hairpins.

“Why should I?” Asked Kai.

“Why SHOULDN’T you?” Prince retorted.

“Because you are evil and only want to hurt people,” Kai replied.

“Sometimes,” Prince admitted. “I like to do that. But there are other times when I am helpful.”

“For a price,” Kai answered.

“I promise you, Kai, this will be free of charge.” Without waiting for Kai to answer, he freed his hair and combed it gently. He then swept the top part into a neat bun, securing it carefully before braiding the bottom into a tight clean braid and fastening it. He made sure a thick lock hung down free, then stepped in front of Kai and gave him a mirror. “What do you think?” He asked.

Kai looked. “I think… you did a good job. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. But do you know what *I* think, Kai?”

“What?”

“I think that it is a shame that Xev and Stan treat you so unfairly.”

Kai looked down. “I’m dead. I need no special treatment.”

Prince chuckled. “Then why did you refuse to help them any more until they learned how to fix your hair?”

Kai handed the mirror back to prince. “What makes you say that?” he asked impassively.

Prince smiled as slid the mirror into the side pocket of his dark blue coat. His smile widened as he toyed with the strange homemade comb he was holding and then slid that into the same pocket as the mirror.

Kai’s eyes narrowed as he noted Xevs comb disappearing in Prince’s pocket, he stepped back a few paces reading his brace arm. “Where did you get that comb?” he demanded.

“Kai,” Prince said in an amused voice. “I really thought you were more observant than that. After all, didn’t you carve this for Xev? …Yes, I do believe she mentioned your carving for her to me.”

“And when was that?” Kai asked in a low voice.

“Why just a few hours ago I believe,” Prince said as he started to stroll about the garden, motioning Kai to walk with him. “Shortly after I left you as a matter of fact. It really was most comical, I’m afraid poor Stanley was having quite a difficult time getting Xev’s hair combed out. I’m not sure what they were going to do when it was Xev’s turn to practice.” Prince paused to pluck a large white Carnation. “But,” he continued after taking a deep sniff of the flower. “I am afraid that between the two of them, they had 790 quite upset. I’m afraid he seems to think they aren’t up to the challenge.”

“Xev and even Stan are more than capable of using a comb!” Kai declared.

“Mmm. I hope so… for their sake.”

Kai pondered. What if Prince was right? What if they *couldn’t* learn to take care of his hair? No. This was another one of Prince’s tricks. “I do not think you are telling me the truth,” Kai accused.

“Really? Now why would I lie about a thing like that?”

“To try and cause trouble among us,” Kai replied.

“Would I do that?” Prince asked sweetly.

Kai glared at him. “Yes,” he declared.

“You could be right. It *is* the sort of thing I would do, isn’t it?” Prince mused. “Well, then, Kai. I suppose you’ll just have to go find out for yourself.”

“I will,” Kai said, striding off as Prince watched in amusement.

**** SECTION 2 ****

Kai strode through the garden towards the house. While he knew it was most likely too late if something had already happened, he needed to make sure this was not a ruse designed by Price to get him away from Stan and Xev. Before leaving the cover of the gardens, Kai made a wide swing around the house, observing it carefully. His assassin training showed nothing that seemed out of place. So he cautiously approached the house.

Upon entering the house, Kai’s trained eye noted a few things disarrayed, as if they had been disturbed during a brief struggle and then put right again. He swiftly searched the house looking for Xev, Stan or 790. Not finding any sign his three companions inside the house, Kai then turned his attention to picking up their trail outside the house. Making a careful sweep of the grounds Kai was easily able to pick up signs of several horses leaving the cobbled approach to the house. The bracken appeared freshly disturbed, and several paces from the road Kai spied a wisp of long blond hair stuck on one of the disturbed branches. After a briefly considering several possible options, Kai decided to see if Prince was still waiting in the garden, or perhaps more importantly to see if Prince’s horse was still in the woods near the garden.

He searched the woods, but did not find the horse. He then returned to the garden. On the path there lay a note. Kai picked it up.

Dear Kai:
    I have taken Xev and Stan to my castle. If you want them back, which I can’t imagine why anyone would, follow the path into the Dark Glen. If you make it through, you will see a sign that says: “This way to Prince’s castle.” I think I’ll be waiting for you. Yours, Prince.

Kai carefully folded the note and put it in his boot. As a dead ex-assassin he needed nothing for the journey that he did not already possess. He started down the path in the forest towards the Dark Glen.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Oh I want my dead man. What am I going to do with out my Kai-o-lisious one, I just can’t go on without him!” 790 moaned.

Xev and Stan the man glanced at each other in exasperation and then turned to glare at 790, as he continued to moan and complain.

“790,” Xev snapped, “moaning about Kai is not going to help use get out of here, and you are getting our nerves. Why don’t you help us think of a way out of this mess, and then we can all be reunited with Kai.”

“Like I care what Prince does with you and the useless Tweedle,” 790 sneered. “I just want to be united with my beloved corpse.”

Stanley paced around the room they were imprisoned in. Stanley had to admit he had been in worse prisons; in fact the only thing uncomfortable about the room was the fact that Prince controlled it. Well that and the fact that he was stuck in here with those two fighting. “Look 790, Xev is right, we need to quit fighting with each other and figure out a way to escape!”

Xev stood up from the bed she was sitting on, and walked over to look out at the bars on the other side of the small casement window. 790 followed her movements and then focused his eyes on Stan. “We wouldn’t even be in this mess,” he intoned with scorn dripping from every syllable, “If a certain waste of life, ex-security guard hadn’t angered my beloved.”

“Now wait a minute, ” Stan began as Xev started, and then turned to narrow her eyes at him, “Kai was mad at all of us, not just me.”

“But you were the last one to talk to him Stan…” Xev began accusingly.

“That’s right Tweedle!” 790 interrupted with a venomous voice, “It’s all your fault that my sweet corpse of delight became angered.”

Stan threw himself onto a plain wooden chair and slapped the small table that 790 sat upon so hard that the robot head bounced a little. “Oh no you don’t 790.” Stan snapped. “If it hadn’t been for your behavior that morning I never…”

And that’s another thing Stanley! Why do you always have to complain to Kai every single time 790 does something you think is wrong? This might not have happened if you had just not complained to Kai,” Xev interrupted, her voice rising as she crossed to the small table and leaned into Stanley’s face.

Stanley flushed; color creeping up his neck, suffusing his cheeks a deep red. “That’s it! I have had just about enough of both of you ganging up on me every time…”

“We wouldn’t be ganging up on you if it wasn’t apparent to even this brainless bitch that you were at fault!” 790 yelled, eyes flashing in anger.

“Hey!” Xev yelped.

A rich chuckle floated into the room followed by Prince. “Ah, is everybody comfy?” He motioned his bodyguards to wait at the door, as he walked over to the squabbling group at the table.

790, Stan and Xev froze momentarily in place. “Well now, ” Prince continued in a bright cheery voice as he turned the remaining chair around and straddled it. “How are we all this afternoon?” He folded his arms on the back of the chair and regarded his prisoners with a benign smile.

“We are upset,” Xev snapped. “Why don’t you let us go before Kai finds this place and makes you wish you had left us alone!”

“Finds this place? Why ever should I worry about that Xev? In fact I left him a note telling him where it was.” Prince looked at her serenely, I have nothing to fear from Kai.”

“Yeah right Prince,” Stan snorted rolling his eyes towards the ceiling.

“Actually, I am quite looking forward to Kai’s visit,” Prince told the stunned little group. After all, he is quite an interesting being, and I hope to persuade him to stay a while. His intellect coupled with your antics will keep me tolerably amused for a good while, don’t you think.”

Xev walked over to Prince and looked down frowning. A bewildered look flitted across her face as smiled up at her. “What makes you think that Kai is going let you keep us here?”

“Now Xev,” Prince purred as he rose and took her hand drawing her closer. “How many times has Kai broken his word to you?”

Xev flinched slightly as his arms enfolded her. “Never.” She declared firmly.

Prince grinned as Xev shifted slightly, trying to see how tightly she was being held. He gathered her more firmly to him and gently nuzzled her neck, deeply inhaling the scent of her hair. As was usual in his dealings with Xev, he could feel the conflict within her. He knew that no matter how much she retreated from him, a very central part of her wanted his attention.
    After a long enough moment to disconcert her feelings, he withdrew slightly. He smiled gently down at her as she momentarily melted towards him, her body betraying her mind.

“You haven’t answered my question,” she stated with an involuntary shiver avoiding his gaze.

“I think that Kai is indeed on his way here Xev, but since he does keep his word…”

“Unlike some people,” Stan Muttered.

“Now Stanley,” Prince paused for a second and met Stanley’s challenging stare. He continued in an light pleasant tone, “You know I keep my word when I give it. Not that I have anything against lying, but where would the challenge be in that. I have much more fun watching the expressions on your faces as I slip through the cracks in the truth.” Prince released Xev, who stepped back unsteadily, and he turned to smile at Stanley, quirking a brow up in amusement, “Unfortunately for you and Xev and 790, Kai has a very simple view on giving his word. And since he told you that you could not expect any help from him until you can master the art of hairstyling, I really don’t think he will be inclined to help you right now. Especially if I am only restraining you with out any physical harm.”

Prince patted the speechless Stanley on the shoulder as he moved to towards the door; he paused before exiting and looked back on the stunned trio. “Thinking of it that way, he asked as he slipped out the door, “can you even be sure that Kai will concern himself with you at all?”

[ 29-12-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

theFrey
    Participant

Future Section

theFrey
    Participant

This is a Story that started several months ago as an Add-a-line game between myself and Jade, there were a few other peeps who added a sentence here in the first page, but they dropped out, and that part has since been revised by Jade. It started out as a kids fairy tale kind of thing and just mutated from there. At first each of us would do a few sentences, then a few paragraphs, until finally we were passing over pages at a time to each other. We are within a few pages of finishing it, so I thought I would start posting it, to perhaps give us that little umph to get us over the finish line. Enjoy.

dgrequeen
    Participant

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Will Xev and Stan learn how to do hair? Will Kai modify his hair demand? Will Prince finally grab Kai’s soul (along with his hairstyle)? Can’t wait to see how it all ends, LOL!

Anonymous

Hi, all!

This is new member Jade. I hope you enjoy the story Frey and I are writing. I’m looking forward to being part of the board!

@~:¬)

theFrey
    Participant

Section 2 is posted. Enjoy

Anonymous

Wadda Blast!

And actually quite true I would suggest!

Blokes have a hard enough time keeping short hair manageable, they don’t lather properly and most don’t even know how to use a hair dryier (prefering a skinhead cut to any form of styling).

Personally, I think Kai must spend most of his spare time fixing his bun and the thought of the lazy Xev and Stanley (AND 790! He could provide support and possibly even a prop for the development of new Big-Bun styles) dissmissing Kai’s hairpiece without care is disgraceful!

theFrey
    Participant

Section 3 is posted enjoy.

Yes Sad I have to agree with you. Infact I would be willing to bet that Brunnen-g youths went to summer camps devoted to improving their Hair Styling skills. I bet Kai spent many a summer at ‘Camp WannaBraidItTight”

dgrequeen
    Participant

I bet Kai spent many a summer at ‘Camp WannaBraidItTight”

Okay, nobody ever accused me of having a clean mind, but that just sounds kinky as hell.

theFrey
    Participant

Section 4 is posted, Enjoy.

Well, hummm. Dirty? A Brunnen-G with less than perfectly clean and couifed hair? Perish the thought.

theFrey
    Participant

ohhh, sorry, sorry. You were talking about your mind, not Kai’s hair.

* thefrey thunks her self on the forhead. What was *I* thinking

theFrey
    Participant

Section 5 is posted. Well the post length thing has’t been a problem so far. Saddy, possibly the only fly in the oinment has been the reformating once you paste it into the text box. Have you any words of wisdom there? line breaks where you don’t want them ect…

Anyhow, Enjoy.

dgrequeen
    Participant

Oh, wow, this is getting good.

And we still get to see if Stan and Xev can figure out how to do Kai’s hair!

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    And we still get to see if Stan and Xev can figure out how to do Kai’s hair!

I know, suspensful isn’t it.

Any how section 6 is posted

theFrey
    Participant

Hello all, Section 7 has been posted. Enjoy.

It is certainly getting interesting in seeing how long a post can be with out fussing the board.

Well work screams. Later all

theFrey
    Participant

Section 8 posted, enjoy

dgrequeen
    Participant

Uh oh. Stan is starting to look good to Xev! This is a great story, Frey!

Anonymous

What a great big-girl bedtime story!I haven’t heard a fairy tale this good since…since never!I’m hooked!!!Sure hope you guys get to finish it!I miss my beddy-bye fix!

theFrey
    Participant

I’ll finish mine if you finish yours Trini. I have another 15 pages ready to go, know how it ends, but just haven’t had time to finish it up yet.

Anonymous

Pleeaase post it soon! I love this story, and have re-read this part quite a few times now! I’m glad to see you didn’t abandon it…that would have driven me nuts! T_T

Anonymous

I hope you BOTH finish up!

elmey

theFrey
    Participant

There ya go Elmey, Section 9 just for you. Oh and I lied. I had 20 pages left to post. So lots more to put up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I especially liked the bit about the hair, good stuff!

Anonymous

This story is lots of fun frey, though you’d think with thousands of memories to draw on Kai could have dredged up a flower arranger

Your Prince is really accurate–you must be enjoying writing him.

elmey

theFrey
    Participant

The first half was written with a very talented lady named Jade Nocturnias, She was very good at dialog. Unfortunately RL intruded since this was taking so long to finish. We were up to about 20 pages when Jade had to devote more attention to RL. I just hope the transition from team writing to just my writing is not too glaring. The story currently stands at 45 pages or so, and I figure I have another 5 to go to finish it up.

elmey -This story is lots of fun frey, though you’d think with thousands of memories to draw on Kai could have dredged up a flower arranger

Well I don’t remeber seeing a whole lot of evidence of flower arranging in the first movie. But… I am pretty sure that the Brunen-g were into it. However… who says Kai doesn’t know about the art of flowers. He is under no obligation to tell Prince that. And he did say that he didn’t know what Xev would like, so he brought a good selection… I imagine she liked the brush like teasles REAL WELL.

theFrey
    Participant

Another Section, Section 10 is up. Enjoy.

I have two more sections ready to go. I am going to take my lunch to work this week, so that I can try and finish it up.

Anonymous

Now I know what the Teasels are for
    Took me a while, I don’t know from plants

Though I hate for you to forfeit your lunch hour–I hope you finish the story soon! It’s good.

elmey

theFrey
    Participant

Secction 11. Enjoy.

And the ending is proceeding. Hopefully I will reach it, before I run out of sections.

theFrey
    Participant

Seaction 12 is up

theFrey
    Participant

Secttion 13 is up. Enjoy

lizard
    Participant

I am waiting with bated breath for the end of this cosmetological conundrum!!

theFrey
    Participant

Section 14 is up… almost finished, wooohooo!

Enjoy.

Anonymous

Sorry Frey, I had to edit this excellent story and move it into more sections.

I couldn’t convery the forum into the new phpBB forum for the new SadGeezer.com unless I did).

Anonymous

kick (For ordering purposes )

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.