Out of the (Sci-Fi) Closet?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Out of the (Sci-Fi) Closet?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    YOWAYYO
    Participant

Hello fellow posters. Well, I turned 30 over the weekend and so I had a big bash on Saturday to celebrate with friends and family. I drank lots of beer (the good stuff, not any of the cheap sh$t like Coors light) and now I am paying the price. Anyway, I wanted to share a silly story in case anyone can relate.

Basically, my wife organized the party and decided to hold it at our house, so that meant lots of people coming over and checking out my pad and all its furnishings. Well, I dig sci-fi (like some people here ๐Ÿ˜› ) so I have DVDs, trinkets and all sorts of paraphernalia all over the house. Rather than hide all my crap I decided that I would be “loud and proud” since no one really new this about me. So, I wore a Star Trek shirt (literally a ‘red shirt’) that has a picture of Scotty on it and a caption of “I’m giving her all I’ve got, Captain!” Plus, I wore a Trek pin on my favortite baseball cap as well. Of course people would say, “Dude, I didn’t know you were a Trekkie?!?” And I would say,” Well, actually…” and launch into a long-winded speech about how interesting sci-fi is and how more people should give it a shot, etc. Most of it fell on deaf ears but hey, I tried.

Was I a gutless worm in the past? Sure. Afraid of ridicule and end-less jokes? You bet. But no more. I have come to grips with my sci-fi-ness and if someone doesn’t like it, screw you!!!

How about you guys? Any funny stories? Do you wear it on your sleaves? Not anything you really talk about?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nothing that overt, really. Sometimes, a la Sean Connery in Zardoz, I run around in a bright red diaper shouting, “Kill the Tabernacle!” but that’s about it.

Oh I almost forgot, welcome to the dirty thirties! ๐Ÿ™‚

theFrey
    Participant

Yes congratulations on reaching the ‘slippery slope’.

I, being a big Lexx Fan had my cubical at work totally decorated a-la-Kai. Well and some Xev, 790 and Stan too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have had a Kai screen saver since forever, and have been amused by the number of people it mesmerizes. ๐Ÿ™‚ Many of them were guys too. Go figure. ๐Ÿ˜†

Occasionally, someone will observe that I must be a big sci-fi fan. My response to that is generally something along the lines of, “Duh! Do ya think?”

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Welcome to the 30’s club!!!

I generally have a good time shocking people with the fact I’m a scifi fan, StarWars geek…and an ex-Death metal chic ๐Ÿ˜ˆ from back in the day….(most people peg me as the folk music type for some reason)

I think as we get older it is harder for people to categorize each other….

Though my Stargate (or alternatively Hubble photos) wallpaper on my ‘puter might give me away. people at work started calling me a Trekkie after I disclosed I went to Dragon*Con 2004.

I’m just in incognito or something….

TranceGemini613
    Participant

Bah you’re all like well-seasoned Benden wine…older than I am but not nearly as tart ๐Ÿ˜‰ (Hah, tart, double-meaning!)

I never had a closet out of which to come.

Greasemonkey, bisexual, Trekker, sci-fi/fantasy geek, otaku…I was raised to be all but bi, and that one was like, oh-so-apparent (at least to my friends, hehe)…I’ve always sort of reveled in it…

…Though as a reasonably un-ugly femmegeek I do get some strange looks whenever I ask people where to get some gaming dice around these parts. “D-10’s? No one? Anyone? Any comic stores in the area? I’m looking for an Ultimate X-Men comic…”

^ ^ Ah, it’s nice to be the pretty once for once!!!

So yeah, I’m loud and proud…as I show up and VOLUNTEER for cons…I attend at least two to three a year…bah, FEMMEGEEKS UNITE!

theFrey
    Participant

Someone doesn’t know what d10 are? Perish the thought. In my family theBrother is so totally into gaming that we had bowls of dice sitting around the house like popcorn for crying out loud. Your true gamer of course have many, many, dice and many, many styles and denominations of them.

The one thing he did like about moving to Txas was that it wad geographicially easier to get together with other gamers. He is pretty bummed that we are missing DragonCon this year, but I am sure he will find a few other cons to attend.

Hope you have a blast at yours Trace. ๐Ÿ˜€

Sidhecafe
    Participant

TranceGemini613 wrote:

Bah you’re all like well-seasoned Benden wine…older than I am but not nearly as tart (Hah, tart, double-meaning!)

๐Ÿ˜€ True, true…not really wearing my corset and red leather pants anymore!!!
    Those were the days, to be bowed to by youngen metal heads as Cannibal Corpse was about to play….or swearing Barney was growling just for me throughout Napalm Death’s set….drooling over Swedish gods called Grave and generally flinching as I watched the boys get punched in the head in the pit (when I wasn’t in it myself)

Last time I was in a pit, I found it hurt a lot more than it used too…

This summer a 20’s something laughed at me when I told her I used to go to Death Metal shows….said she could see it, but was funny to think of now….

How the mighty age!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ Too funny really, it’s like another world to me now, not that far away…but very.

And I’m sure there are plenty here who played D&D Basics Rules Set I….the red box??? for days on end – eating Domino’s pizza???? All while listening to the Legend soundtrack????

Is this sounding like one of those comic strips? “Knights of the Round Table” or the other Dark Tower one?? ๐Ÿ™‚

theFrey
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

Is this sounding like one of those comic strips? “Knights of the Round Table” or the other Dark Tower one?? ๐Ÿ™‚

I howled at DragonCon when I saw the line of gear and comic books called “Knights of the Dinner Table” I understand that at various times they have also had t-shirts, minatures and other fun stuff to go along with this comic. I had considered buying a few for theBrother, who sniffed hautily and informed me that he had read a few of them, and beside HARD CORE GAMERS made arrangement to play on real set ups and not a ‘dinner table.’

I will have to admit I have seen this. He long ago left the 4′ x 8′ foot table (which was as big as I would let him have when we shared a house) and now has an assortment of various tables that sit together to make quite a few configurations. I think his biggest is 3 connected 3′ x 8′. But on the plus side, when we do the family reunion this spring, I will NOT have to rent tables or chairs. I can just load his up and take them with me. ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/url]

Anonymous
    Inactive
    theFrey wrote:

I, being a big Lexx Fan had my cubical at work totally decorated a-la-Kai. Well and some Xev, 790 and Stan too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have had a Kai screen saver since forever, and have been amused by the number of people it mesmerizes. ๐Ÿ™‚ Many of them were guys too. Go figure. ๐Ÿ˜†

Occasionally, someone will observe that I must be a big sci-fi fan. My response to that is generally something along the lines of, “Duh! Do ya think?”

If that observation were based solely on seeing abundant LEXX related materials, it actually would be unwarranted to conclude that you “must be” a big fan of science fiction. Of a “sci-fi” show, sure, but not necessarily of the “genre”. It could be an aberration, it could be that that show is not a typical “sci-fi” (used in quotes again) offering.

I’ve comes across a number of people who adored LEXX, but didn’t consider themselves to be sci-fi fans. And a great many of the really die-hard science fiction fans hate the show, in my experience. It’s UNCONventional… hehe.

Reportedly, the new Battlestar Galactica has many avid viewers who are big on drama, but not generally fans of sci-fi.

Anyway, much as I like sci-fi, I hardly ever talk about it, nor do I have obvious sci-fi memorabilia about the house. I most probably will never go to a sci-fi convention, don the holy girdle of Kirk, or get jiggy-wiggy with a Brunnen-G’s wiggy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.