Picking a Username, very simple to do

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Discussion Forum Help Picking a Username, very simple to do

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Posters,
    Whether you’re new here to this board or a regular, you’re probably asking yourself, `Why did I have a Poll asking about Usernames & How many?’ Well I knew from posting here that 1 Username/board or all-boards was plenty for me; but when I went to a local Star Trek/Science Fiction fan club, I heard them talking about having at least 8 Usernames on 1 board. I kept telling them that 1 Username was enough, but the kept telling me that I was a newbie & didn’t know what I was talking about; so, I got a little confused, that’s when I decided that I would ask the members of this board as well as a couple of others if that was good practice or not. Most of the results & answers I got back was 1 Username, either all boards or 1/board.
    The 1st thing you want to do in picking a Username is to ask yourself what your interested in; it could be Dr Who, Lexx, The Prisoner, Red Dwarf, Star Trek & so on. the 2nd thing you want to do is to find out by looking in the Memberships to see if the name you want is already taken; if it is, you might want to e-mail or ask what Username they would choose for you. The 3rd thing you want to do is to read the different kinds of posts from different forums to see how different 1s post. & the last thing is if you’re interested in more than 1 thing, then pick a name that would go with the various interests & shows you like & have.
    Once you’ve picked out a Username you like & want to post using, then you may want to register; it’s easy, you just follow the directions, but you don’t have to answer every line, then click submit & there you are.
    If you’re already a member, then just stick with the Username you have; however, if you’re sick of it, then you might want to re-register & close down or delete your other 1.
    It’s not as hard as you may think; if you want to study mine, got to http://www.lexx.com & go to any of the threads & you’ll see multiple Usernames other have; & that’s it. If you have any problems or any questions about the, please post it here & I’ll do my best to answer them & help you with anything you might have.

P0oster Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, Jhevz. ๐Ÿ˜€ Yes, picking a username that you’ll remain happy with can be a daunting challenge if you’re not properly prepared for it (a christian name even more so as I’ve discovered).

Good advice on “if your username is taken.” Can also be awkward if someone has a similar username to yours. A more original username is sometimes best — Logans, for instance, are a dime a dozen in the sci-fi community.

Sorry for the personal anecdote which I’ve already shared elsewhere, but it illustrates the point… My net nick was originally the very unimaginative “login name”, which I then shortened to “login”, and then corrupted to “Logan” — made for a nice Logan’s Run reference. However, in using Logan here I may have inadvertantly stepped on the virtual toes of “oldbie” Logan55 — sorry Logan55, I didn’t check! ๐Ÿ˜ณ To make matters worse, I now sometimes call myself Logan 5.

When Logan55 returns to the fora I’ll probably have to cede all my posts to him. Good thing we have avatars to recognise eachother with too! ๐Ÿ˜€

Fatguy
    Participant

Why Fatguy? Beats me? Actually I just wanted to pick a name that presented anything I said in a negative light. It should be an upward climb to make people like anything you present to anyone. At one time I was sure that saying “I love you” would only get the most fierce of negative reactions.

If I could do it again I would pick another. I am not fat and later wondered if the name coupled to a thin guy was hurtful to others. However, I think that “Fatguy” is regarded at these sites as just some obnoxious guy – so I have “turned” the word into something else. Presently I am getting back in shape and getting a “six pack” which at my age is a neat trick!

Not a lot of trouble registering “Fatguy” except for Sci-fi’s forums whcih made me take “Fatguy1” (but I do no think Fatguy! has a post on that forum). I would post my full real name if I did not worry about security issues…..oh well…..

If I was younger I would have started again; as it is – laziness has taken hold. I am getting weak and tired – where is the arrogant, cock-sure guy who could take on the world? I guess “Fatguy ” is here to stay. Here is a pic from last year (not much has changed):

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rem223/Mauass2

Jhevz
    Participant

Why Jhevz; well when I was just getting started in watching Lexx on a regular basis & getting started with a new computer at home, I thought to myself, `I wonder if there are any boards I could post’; I found 1 (lexx.com (at the time they were still using Temp Passwords)) & tried to get on there with the same name. So when I couldn’t get on there last yr (but got on this yr), I came here; then I signed up on theFrey’s site using the same name & I thought, `cool, that name people like’.
    But you’re probably wondering then why Jhevz as a username; I got that name from the show called Lexx & a gal named Zev, then later Xev; plus, I’ve always wanted a sister to talk to, spend time with etc. I could’ve chosen another name, like Keyeo (Kai’s little sister) or something, but I thought people would be more attracted to a more feminine name & that’s why I chose the name Jhevz.

I would’ve chosen my own name, but there’s a lot of people with the name Karen & the name Lorraine, so that’s why I didn’t use either of those 2 names.

Thanks for the great posts guys & keep up the great work; they’re great reading, especially yours, Fatguy; anyway, you’re cute, well your backend. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

nursewhen
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Good advice on “if your username is taken.” Can also be awkward if someone has a similar username to yours. A more original username is sometimes best — Logans, for instance, are a dime a dozen in the sci-fi community.

Good advice Logan. I’ve found on the Lexx site that user names with Kai in them abound, as do avatars of Kai, making it difficult at times to distinguish between them all.

I’ll be surprised if I run across another Nursewhen on the boards that I troll (unless I take up nursing), which makes the name nicely transportable between boards.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    nursewhen wrote:

I’ll be surprised if I run across another Nursewhen on the boards that I troll (unless I take up nursing), which makes the name nicely transportable between boards.

And as long as you don’t troll Shakespeare boards. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I came across a (foster-) nurseWhen in Shakespeare’s As You Like It (Act 2, Scene 3).

ADAM: But do not so. I have five hundred crowns,The thrifty hire I saved under your father,Which I did store to be my foster-nurseWhen service should in my old limbs lie lame…

Quoted from HERE

Coincidence, or providence?

Having checked my book of Shakespeare, it seems the formatting at the site’s page is a bit off. Should read:

“Which I did store to be my foster-nurse
    When service…”

Julius “P-Funk” Caesar: “Oww, we got the Funk, ET tu Brute?”

nursewhen
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

nursewhen wrote:

And as long as you don’t troll Shakespeare boards. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I came across a (foster-) nurseWhen in Shakespeare’s As You Like It (Act 2, Scene 3).[/quote]
    Ah yes, the Shakespeare board. First stop on my route to world domination ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Good find, Logan ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Discussion Forum Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.