Poll – USA Pres. – Who Would you Vote for?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Poll – USA Pres. – Who Would you Vote for?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

Aquabloodstone had a great idea on the futurerama site. Voting for President…. kinda…. Well a president was involved anyway.

Anyhow, who would you vote for as President of the USA and why?

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I don’t think I’m going to vote for any of these options.
    I don’t like what Bush has done to alienate America from the rest of the international community, Americans don’t need any help with that.
    Being from Massachusetts Kerry is as wishy washy as he appears…has backpedaled on numerous issues and I just don’t trust him.
    Nader is a great man, but he’s not a politician….though I value his work on trying to give Americans another choice.

That’s what bothers me the most…the lack of choice. The lack of the Constitution writers to forsee political parties taking power like they have to hand tie the electoral college, the constitution needs to be amended to not let the parties nominate the electoral voters at their conventions….the democrats were fools to nominate kerry, Dean is the stronger personality, but I don’t like the Democrats in general either.
    Their main mission seems to be to oppose the Republicans….
    I want more choices – stronger parties, less democrats and republicans and more dialogue
    Jimmy Carter gave a great speech at the DNC. I might just vote for him. Though my roommate could give them all a good run for their money. ๐Ÿ˜‰

theFrey
    Participant

I have always thought that the primaries should have a ‘None of the Above’ choice. We hate them all, find us someone else. ๐Ÿ˜†

But, having said that. I have lived through a Bush governorship and now a Bush Presidency and I can truthfully say that I would vote for theStupidSpouseDog before I voted for Bush. Someone who refuses to adjust their strategy when something is not working is not steadfast, they are stupid.

While, Mr. Kerry is not my first choice of Democrat, he has stamina. Besides, if Bush gets elected again he will totally dismantle what little is left of labor rights…. and them invade Mars.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Sidhecafe – Couldn’t have said it made it better myself, literally, I coudn’t have said it better.

Fry –

Someone who refuses to adjust their strategy when something is not working is not steadfast, they are stupid.

Uh huh, I’m makind that my signature if you don’t mind. BTW, did you see the Kim Possible ornament collection in the latest Disney catalog?

Anonymous

Oh, good, a free excuse for me to rant again. ๐Ÿ˜›

Kerry can’t control the House and Senate, and anything he tries to get passed will be filled with “Republican Provisions” in order to get passed.

He’s run his campaign entirely on: “Hey, don’t you think Bush is doing a bad job?”

He hasn’t provided any answers, and has been so soft in the debates to the point where people around me were shouting WHY DOESN’T HE MENTION X, Y, or Z!?!

And bottom line, is he the right person to fix our problems?

As for the “System” no sweeping changes to laws or government has ever occurred without major bloodshed. We fought a civil war only a little over a hundred years ago because nearly half the US decided a Central Government was a bad idea (and they were probably right!). Because of this war we solidified our government, before that people could just say “No”. But unfortunately most good Americans when they think of the civil war think of slaves.

You can argue all you want about the system, but it’s our fault. No one is willing to drop their jobs, their lives and everything else to become a crusader for Democracy. And we damn well aren’t going to start killing each other again. The only ones we can point at are actors and activists who are usually extremely wealthy and with tons of free time. And while these people can tell you everything that is wrong with the country, they can provide no realistic or intelligent answers on how to fix it. A situation that has been ridiculed since the days of the Greeks. These people are not new.

Others try to rally against a cause only to have it usurped by the people they are trying to PREVENT to get in office. To exhibit this, look at California. The guy who got our governor recalled? He was told to step aside because the Terminator wanted to run. Even though the other guy did all the work and rallied ALL the support. This is California folks, the most Liberal state in our Country voted in a staunch Republican, and all the while california cried: “We hate Bush!”

Bush sucks, but he obviously isn’t bad enough for us to unite. So guess who will win by an electoral landslide even though the popular vote will still be close to 50-50? Meanwhile we will all continue to whine like the generations before us and after us unltil we become so stupid with our “Anyone but XXX!” that we elect a true tyrant who decides nuking Korea is in our best interest.

And this to me is the point. Most of us Americans (and certainly all American Saddys) are only looking to improve our country. But the reality is unless you have a ton of money (ie Power) you can’t do jack, but I wish them all the best. Personally I’m not going to lose any sleep in a Country where I can persue any job or education I wish, and live just about anyway I choose. As soon as I find a country with Gas as cheap as ours, taxes as low, and allows me to walk around naked in my kitchen after I’ve gone to the beach, bungee jumping, and listened to Free Speech in the park, I’ll move there. We’ve exaggerated Bush for too long for doing things the way every country has done including our own since the dawn of civilization. I don’t like him, I think he’s immoral, but like I said I’m not going to lose sleep, there’s more than enough blame to pass around when you realize it’s not always “Them”.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

As soon as I find a country with Gas as cheap as ours, taxes as low, and allows me to walk around naked in my kitchen after I’ve gone to the beach, bungee jumping, and listened to Free Speech in the park, I’ll move there.

Welcome to Sunny Durbs! I’ll keep a place ready for you. ๐Ÿ˜›

theFrey
    Participant

I have been listening to the pundits and have become alarmed at what seems to becoming a consensus.

This election is so close, and sadly there is so much shady crap going on, that unless everyone plays nice (unlikely) that we may end up with a constitutional crisis on our hands.

Where are those United Nations Election Monitors when you need them. ๐Ÿ˜›

Flamegrape
    Participant

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Lexxlurker- Very well spoken! And I’ve actually heard a few people say, “If Bush wins another four years maybe that will piss people off enough to really start paying attention.”

I believe in voting, it’s the only option I have, and I’m sick of all these liberals saying a vote NOT for Kerry is a vote for Bush.
    That’s the most frightened bit of PR I’ve ever heard.

And MoveOn.org, I became very disappointed in them becoming a mouth piece for the democrats.

Like all empires maybe we are or we have reached the pinnalce of our civilization and now the downward swing is upon us….

(sorry can never resist a little doom and gloom ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

theFrey
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

I believe in voting, it’s the only option I have, and I’m sick of all these liberals saying a vote NOT for Kerry is a vote for Bush.

Actually, my main complain is the people who say I don’t like either. Well, you may not be wild about either but they are the only two choices you have right now. Unless, you decide to go the protest route and pitch your vote at Nader.

Face it guys, it’s dinner time. Mom has offered us the choice of tuna cassole or hamburger helper. We can tell her we want steak as much as we like, but it ain’t on the menu tonight. Unless of course we decide to go to bed hungry (Nader)

So for a lot of people it will come down to are you better off now that you were four years ago.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I realize the reality of the situation…I just think we owe it to ourselves, to the native Americans who have to watch what we do to their ancestral home and to future generations to work towards a better vision.

America was founded by visionaries, people with specific goals to create a better society, it can’t just take care of itself now. Bigger better thinking is needed, and I don’t mean people out in the streets protesting, I mean the quiet transformations that happen in individual thought. Everyone has to decide for themselves that life can be better.
    And that usually doesn’t happen until you hit rock bottom.

We need to be invaded from outer space or something.

Anonymous

There are no perfect candidates. Especially when you get to the highest office; there are too many compromises that have to be made to get this far. Nevertheless there are differences between the candidates. As Molly Ivans says, don’t forget that shit flows downhill.
    Maybe you’re well enough off that you won’t be affected by who wins or loses, but someone’s going to be out on the street when housing vouchers are cut; poor women are going to die when Roe vs. Wade is overturned by a Scalia Court and so on. I can’t afford to wait for the perfect candidate, the perfect is the enemy of the good in this case.

If you want to see a real change in the policies of your party (and cadidate) you’re going to have to work on it from the grass roots level, it’s not going to start at the top. And there’s not going to be a wonderful third party candidate that shows up and suddenly becomes President. Politics is disappointing and full of compromises, and every once in a while after beating your head against the wall you manage a little bit of progress.

Kerry has run a very carefully calibrated, centrist campaign; not what I particularly like to see–though he’ll get a bit tougher in the next couple of weeks I think. I don’t know that he had much of a choice though, considering the reality of campaign coverage in this country. Pitifully dumbed down and trivial. I’ll say this for him, he came back from Vietnam and spoke out against the war. That took guts and truthfulness. I’m going to assume a lot of that is still there.

Anyway, the important thing is to vote. If we can’t get more than 50% of the electorate to come out for a Presidential election, we’re colluding in our own decline and fall.

elmey

theFrey
    Participant

What she said. ๐Ÿ˜‰

TranceGemini613
    Participant

I am encouraging young Americans everywhere to write me in on their ballots. Nevermind that I’m only 20 and my platform would be “A fresh alternative to grumpy old Christian men who can’t do dick shit to help the country!”

^ ^

But since I’m a bit young and unsupported, I’ll have to vote Nader. Cuz he’s neither Bush NOR Kerry.

theFrey
    Participant

So that will be one, ‘Going to bed with out dinner.’ *theFrey makes notes for the chef* Very good. ๐Ÿ˜€

okayyyyy, any one else want to put in their order for dinner2005? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Headgehog
    Participant

Well I figured it about time I made a post here. Unlike everyone else who posted in this thread, my vote counts. Yes that’s right, I’m in one of those all important swing states, Pennsylvania.

I’d like to have the “luxury” of throwing away my vote in this election, and send a message to the Democratic Party that I didn’t like the choice the state of Iowa choose for me. But instead I have to perform a civic duty and vote for “the other guy” (or in this election “Not Bush”) just like so many citizens have been doing for years before me. I’ve only voted four times so far, and only once did I vote for a candidate because I really wanted the person in office.

I sent my message back in April, when I voted for Dean in the primary, even thought the nomination was decided before it got to my commonwealth (state). I can’t do that now, because its too important not too. And unlike the folks in more influential states like Texas and California, my vote matters. I learned that lesson in my first election in 2000 when I was one of the 366 people that gave New Mexico’s 5 electoral votes to Gore. And this time around, I’m going to help make sure Pennsylvania’s 21 votes go to Kerry.

theFrey
    Participant

Hey headge, did you realize that your response is on page two, but no page two icon appears when you click on this thread.

theFrey
    Participant

Ah, so now it comes up…. what was the story on this? I thought it was just my system, but I tried from work and got the same results. I meant to tell you several days ago, but I forgot.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.