Poser Xev et el

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elfie:
    i’d actually like to see your model flamegrape, do you have any artwork of it rendered? and do you want my poser xev model or not? lol i made the hair myself — it’s transmapped. i’ll upload pictures of it if you want to take a look. the only pics i have online right now are of when it had the terrible poser hair prop on it so don’t look at those, hehe.

You’re the one who emailed me about it last week? Cool. I’ll start a new thread over at the general Lexx discussion forum…

At the moment, I’m using the Victoria model in Poser to recreate Xev. The hardest part has been the lips. Xenia probably has the most unique set of lips in the two universes. And the eyes are difficult too.

Anonymous

(ok i lied — i came here first before logging off lol)

that’s why i made a morph target for the lips — it looks slightly better than w/out it by my tinkering. i’m using the latest victoria, i think it’s v.2? or 1.5? i’m not sure, my bf glenn bought it for me just a few months ago when they updated it.

anyway, here is some images of it online: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?deleteGallery=56212&Start=1&Artist=elfie&ByArtist=Yes
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/elfie_8d/lst?&.dir=/More+3D+Stuff&.src=bc&.view=l

those were from before i made the morph target (in rhino) but the face looks basically the same and the hair is different now.

i’ll post some new stuff when i get home if i can and let you know when it’s uploaded.

Anonymous

A Poser Xev?

I thought about doing this myself, but I kind of forgot about it.
    May I suggest that you try out using “Amorphium Pro” to make the morphs. I’ve used this program for a while now and it’s amazing!
    You can’t do that kind of morphs with magnets or by moving mesh in 3DS. And if you fail using the Victoria-model, there is a high-res version if Eve to download. She has pretty “morphable” lips.
    How are you going to do the hair? Series2-Xev won’t be any problems but Series3&4-Xev might prove to be abit tricky.
    And what program are you using when you make the morphs?
    Could you post an image of your progress on this board?

Anonymous

OOoops! You posted the answer to some of my questions before I had the chance to post the questions… Oh,well!

The Xev figure looks really good. But what is that “Victoria 2”? Didn’t you use the original Victoria?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Good work, Elfie! I’d like to get a copy of that face pose. You’re way ahead of me, to say the least! My only criticism might be the body proportions, but maybe i can help with that. The face looks just about perfect!

If you’ve worked on any articles of clothing, I’d like to get copies of that too.

A friend is bringing me a copy of PoserPro tonite and a copy of Michael. (Victoria’s counterpart, not MMcM!) He tells me that creating morph targets is easier with PoserPro.

Looks like I’ll have to create a “Digital Xev” webpage to display work! (I gotta think of a better name than that, tho…)

Anonymous

well just call the site xevvalicious ;D hehe

yes, i have done lots of work on her 4 outfits, (including the zev outfit) but the one closest to being done is the s4 lizard skins. i’ll post some pics for you — the problem i will have is finding out WHERE to post them/ send them from if you want the objects… my msn mail will only send 1mb at a time & i don’t know how much excite sends at once, but i have probs when it gets over 2mbs.

i checked and the s4 outfit is about 5.something mbs zipped — do you know where i can send it/ upload it? and how do you export just a face pose i’ve never done that?

how does it work to make characters for quake? will the person you’re playing with have to d/load the model, too or will it just show up? the poser ppl are *verrry* high in polys, are you going to do anything specific with them to make the poly count lower or are ppl with slow ‘puters just up the creek w/out a paddle? lol

i mainly started work on the models just to use to make art for my stories, so anything i’ve got you’re welcome to. i also have a cryopod & 790, lol and stan’s HAT!!! hehe!

anyway, i want to play quake online with you when you get them done, lol so long as i get to be KAI! *VBG*

gotta go for now but i’ll BBL!
    elf

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

well just call the site xevvalicious ;D hehe

I like that alot!

quote:

— the problem i will have is finding out WHERE to post them/ send them from if you want the objects… my msn mail will only send 1mb at a time & i don’t know how much excite sends at once, but i have probs when it gets over 2mbs.

i checked and the s4 outfit is about 5.something mbs zipped — do you know where i can send it/ upload it?

I think I can set up some sort of “public” directory at Flamegrape.Com where anyone can upload files if they have the given username and password. I’ll look into it.

Also, people have sent me large files in the past using some sort of free file transport service. I’ll look into that too.

quote:

and how do you export just a face pose i’ve never done that?

It might be just a matter of copying a particular file out of the “Runtime” directory in Poser 4 folder. It’s been a while since I’ve messed around with Poser. But I think I can figure that out too.

quote:

how does it work to make characters for quake? will the person you’re playing with have to d/load the model, too or will it just show up? the poser ppl are *verrry* high in polys, are you going to do anything specific with them to make the poly count lower or are ppl with slow ‘puters just up the creek w/out a paddle? lol

The very best advice I can give about creating models for Q3A-based games is to consult the information at Polycount[/url], a webpage dedicated to the subject. It’s very arcane at first. Look around the site and read some of the tutorials. Find out some information about the shareware programs that it uses. But with me giving you advice, I might be able to speed things up for you.

In order for another person to use and see a custom-made player model, that person will have to have a copy of the model and texture files. Typically, that means a .pk3 file that is about 3 to 6 MB in size. That is why people usually go to websites like Polycount[/url] to download the latest and most popular characters.

quote:

the poser ppl are *verrry* high in polys, are you going to do anything specific with them to make the poly count lower or are ppl with slow ‘puters just up the creek w/out a paddle?

The poser models could only be used for rendering images or animation. For use in videogames, the characters have to have a very low polycount.

It is very likely that in the not-so-distant future, all videogame characters will have polygon counts on the order of poser models. But that day has not arrived yet.

Now that I’m interested in Lexx poser models, I think I would want to create those first. Maybe it’ll be possible to crunch the polygon count of the poser models down to videogame size using tools within 3d Studio MAX. But more than likely, I’d just use the poser model as a reference for building a simpler version.

The hardest part may be the texture maps. The lizardskin texture might not be all that hard. What I’m worried about is Kai’s costume. I’m very glad that one of the moderators took close-up pictures of Kai’s costume for the moderator’s report. But I need pictures of the back of his shirt and pants!

quote:

i mainly started work on the models just to use to make art for my stories, so anything i’ve got you’re welcome to. i also have a cryopod & 790, lol and stan’s HAT!!! hehe!

kewl!

quote:

anyway, i want to play quake online with you when you get them done, lol so long as i get to be KAI! *VBG*

You got it! But Kai’s brace will be a special problem. Either we ignore it’s use and just be happy with all our characters weilding guns, or we create a special mod that would allow it’s use. I’ve never attempted anything like that before. It would be very cool if you could be Kai and use your brace to zap people and also cling to walls and ceilings like Spiderman. I don’t know how practical it’s implementation might be.

I can’t wait to play as Xev! She’s my favorite!

Anonymous

It might be just a matter of copying a particular file out of the “Runtime” directory in Poser 4 folder. It’s been a while since I’ve messed around with Poser. But I think I can figure that out too.

I think the easiest way is to save the .pz3 file.
    Then you add the imagemaps separate. As for clothes… sometimes they follow the .pz3 file. If they don’t, add the .cr2 and .rsr of the clothingprops.

Put this all in a folder and compress the hell out of it. Anyone who has the Victoria model installed should be able to use it without messing around.

quote:

It is very likely that in the not-so-distant future, all videogame characters will have polygon counts on the order of poser models. But that day has not arrived yet.

Hasn’t it?
    Have you checked out the video and screenshots for the upcoming Doom 3?

The line between realtime rendering and static images is getting more blurry every day.
    DoomCenter

BTW, when you have found a place to upload Xev (even if it’s just temporary) be sure to post it on this board. The images you made was great, she’s almost perfect.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    I’m very glad that one of the moderators took close-up pictures of Kai’s costume for the moderator’s report. But I need pictures of the back of his shirt and pants!

you’re very welcome; frey had mentioned how much trouble kai’s costume had given her while she was making the kai dolls, so i took close ups thinking other peeps might find it useful as well…unfortunately, the costume was laid out waiting for mm to step into it (that’s why there is a yellow call sheet shoved into the left leg pocket), but i didn’t feel comfortable ‘playing’ with the costume, so i didn’t turn it over for the rear view …sorry

Anonymous

ok – i exported the .pz3 file of xev minus hair and costume, since you have victoria there shouldn’t be any problem opening it. i think it’s small enough i can upload it to my yahoo briefcase so i will do that & post the link in a little bit. (connection is s…l… o…w… today)

yes, i know about the polygon counts/ etc… which was why i wondered how you were going to use a poser person for them! eeps! but if you’re not using poser for the in game models are you making them from scratch? i have some low poly ppl i’ve made in 3d smax if you want them, too. they can be easily customizable — i’ve used the same template to make a cavemen then made the djinn from wishmaster 1 out of him! lol!

::elfie forgets what else was posted, goes to look:: ummm…

theli:
    systems such as the ps2 & xbox can handle higher rez & poly characters, but when you’re talking playing on the PC it’s all about the video card & ram, baby. lol i have an 800 mhz processor, voodoo 5 and 256 mbs of ram… that’s about standard these days (for gamers, anyway) and i *still* had problems with nocturne. :eek when i import a poser character into bryce, it says it is over 100k polys… i can’t imagine what kind of resources that would take to render in game play.

i think the best thing to do would be to rebuild the body with lower polys and leave the face intact, that is what most games do these days. if you are going to give her new bones in 3d smax then it wouldn’t be very hard to do at all if you can build a human body in 3d. about 80% of the 3d ppl i make in rhino or 3d studio max i chop the heads off poser characters to use, hehe (but that’s just me… i like to cheat at it, hehe)

::goes to look again::

Originally posted by flamegrape:
    Now that I’m interested in Lexx poser models, I think I would want to create those first. Maybe it’ll be possible to crunch the polygon count of the poser models down to videogame size using tools within 3d Studio MAX. But more than likely, I’d just use the poser model as a reference for building a simpler version.

yes, you can reduce the polycount in 3d smax. the way i do it in rhino is to import the person, the export them at a lower polycount then “re” import them — then i do the work on them.

Originally posted by flamegrape:
    The hardest part may be the texture maps. The lizardskin texture might not be all that hard. What I’m worried about is Kai’s costume. I’m very glad that one of the moderators took close-up pictures of Kai’s costume for the moderator’s report. But I need pictures of the back of his shirt and pants!

yes the texture maps will be tough… you’ll have to make their clothes as a part of them rather than on them… piecing the characters together in 3d smax is a good idea, you’ll just have to give them all new bones information but that is very easy (imho) to do.

texture maps! that’ll make or break the models. keep the body poly count low and the face count high and use HUGE high rez maps and they will look awesome.

kai’s brace–
    why will this be hard? (i’ve only made charaters for ‘The Sims’ so i dunno anything about making figs FOR a game mod)

Do you need any buildings/ objects/ stuff? (hehe) I do 3d building plans for local construction groups in arGO cad and 3D smax – i know more about modeling buildings/ machinery/ etc than i do ppl & animals. so far ALL of the ppl i’ve made have just been for artwork, no paid projects.

::looking…::

kai’s pants–
    i’ll send you high quality screen caps of them, they helped a lot in making kai’s texture map. although, i was quite lazy and haven’t fixed the collar (lol) i’m sure you’ll try much harder than i did.

my old abandonded screen cap site has TONS of high quality kai pics. http://www.stormpages.com/elfiefinn/farlexxgrabsMAIN.html

here is my kai model:

the only postwork that was done was mainly just to the background (which was painted in) and to his eyebrows. each strand of his ‘bangs’ is transmapped – i made da bun in rhino.

::looking::

theli:
    i use rhino to make morphs, sometimes i modify the poser part i want to morph, and sometimes i create an entire body part from scratch. i’d most more 3d art for you too look at but i think one remote load is enough per post. lol (your website is awesome BTW – i’ll be adding it to my links page – write me if you’d like to chat [email protected])

and i use the latest release of Victoria, Ver.2

flamegrape:
    glenn got poser pro for me but hasn’t brought it over for me yet, does it work with 3d smax V.3.5?

FX:
    did you post all of the images of the kai costume you have?

umm, i’m lost… i’ll come back and post again when i’ve had more caffine. *G* i know i haven’t made myself perfectly clear, this whole post sounds like babbling to me… *VBG*

what am i supposed to do again? :eek hehe.

ps- ACK I went to upload the xev model and it is 20 mbs!!!!! there has GOT to be another way to do this, i will try again. i do remember another way, just forgot whut it is.

[ 30-11-2001: Message edited by: elfie ]

Anonymous

mkaaay… i figgered out about the .cr2 & .rsr files… they are *still* 20mbs. / so, we are going to have to try something else.

the file sharing service idea sounds good — i have Imesh, my user name is elfiefinn

i *refuse* to upgrade to the latest aim because i don’t want ppl trying to send me files while i’m chatting, lol but i’m also elfiefinn on that.

a file sharing service or uploading it to your webspace sounds good — i’m willing to do either, no problem. you decide and let me know, i’m also willing to d/load a new file sharing service if you don’t want to bother with Imesh.

the clothes & hair will also have to be uploaded that way, the hair was a 20 day project and is not small, lol 8) but if you are going to use them for quake, keeping the poly count DOWN by not having body parts *under* clothing to make the file size smaller is the way to go — so you may have to create the in game bodies from scratch.

dunno — just lemme kno!

Anonymous

systems such as the ps2 & xbox can handle higher rez & poly characters

Ps2? hmmm… what I have seen from it, it seems to pretty slow. Doom3 will be released on PC first, thank god.

when you’re talking playing on the PC it’s all about the video card & ram, baby

In know, and it’s dam.n expensive.

I have an 800 mhz processor, voodoo 5 and 256 mbs of ram…

Hmmm… I myself is sitting on an 800Mhz T-bird with 256MB & Asus Geforce (only 1). I wouldn’t mind having some more power, especially when I render in 3D-Studio at 8×8 antialiasing. SLOW!!!!!

i use rhino to make morphs, sometimes i modify the poser part i want to morph, and sometimes i create an entire body part from scratch.

Morphable? I never got that to work properly. Making new bodyparts and stuff…

your website is awesome BTW – i’ll be adding it to my links page

Thanks! My site hasn’t been updated in awhile. You can find my latest attempts at creating art here…Gallery at 3D-Commune

BTW, what is the URL to your artpage?

And I do hope that you manage to upload Xev soon, she looks great.

Anonymous

quote:

mkaaay… i figgered out about the .cr2 & .rsr files… they are *still* 20mbs. / so, we are going to have to try something else.

the file sharing service idea sounds good — i have Imesh, my user name is elfiefinn

i *refuse* to upgrade to the latest aim because i don’t want ppl trying to send me files while i’m chatting, lol but i’m also elfiefinn on that.

a file sharing service or uploading it to your webspace sounds good — i’m willing to do either, no problem. you decide and let me know, i’m also willing to d/load a new file sharing service if you don’t want to bother with Imesh.

the clothes & hair will also have to be uploaded that way, the hair was a 20 day project and is not small, lol 8) but if you are going to use them for quake, keeping the poly count DOWN by not having body parts *under* clothing to make the file size smaller is the way to go — so you may have to create the in game bodies from scratch.

dunno — just lemme kno!

Won’t the file have room on Yahoo? How much space do you get there?
    BTW, 20MB… that can’t possibly be compressed, can it?
    I mean a 10MB .cr2 file can be compressed into a 2MB .ace file. It usually have a compress ratio of 15-25% of the original file. The same goes for .pz3 files.

Anonymous

hi theli!

the ps2 — slow??? ::elfie recalls her recent night playing silent hill 2 and shakes head sadly:: i don’t agree that it’s slow… but i don’t want to argue – i just don’t agree!!! lol

my website is under re- construction — i’ll let you know when it’s back in working order. the link is: http://www.theelf.net

yahoo will only allow a 5mb transfer at once. trust — i’ve already tried to upload the zipped file, which was right around 15mbs. the clothes were over 5 and the hair is about 8 zipped. (huge high rez map for the hair, several mbs on it’s own.)

i’m moving the discussion here:
    http://pub47.ezboard.com/fdreamlands95019frm5.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

two of my buddies are currently in school at Ringling in florida for 3D modeling & animation and another buddy (all non lexxians – wah) has made characters for quake, so they could be a lot of help. i’ll get them to join up & join in.

elfmeister

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

i’m moving the discussion here:
    http://pub47.ezboard.com/fdreamlands95019 frm5.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

two of my buddies are currently in school at Ringling in florida for 3D modeling & animation and another buddy (all non lexxians – wah) has made characters for quake, so they could be a lot of help. i’ll get them to join up & join in.

elfmeister

Okay, I feel really stupid. I went to your message board and I could not figure out how to POST messages let alone reply. What am I missing? I’m logged on, now how do I post messages on your threads.

BTW, did you get my email?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.