Post-Lexx Viewing

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

STAR TREK!!??!!?

For real, I don’t honestly know of anything like Lexx, that’s why Lexx is special

Anonymous

Hey, Star Trek TNG isnt that bad. Its dated a bit but is a very important Sci-Fi show and is still very enjoyable. Sort of the opposite end of the sci-fi spectrum to Lexx but its good to have a bit of variety.

Anonymous

Jumping Jedi – If you stay up late tonight and turn on Sky1 at 1:50am there is a program called CRUSADE which is kind of like Lexx. I don’t think too much of it myself, but you may like it…

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by JumpingJedi:
    Are there any sci-fi shows out there that people would recommend as good post-lexx viewing?

While nothing could truelly ever replace LEXX, Tripping the Rift[/url] looks like it’ll be a be a good substitute. So far it’s only a short film, but it’s coming to Scifi US in January.

Anonymous

There are only 2 shows that *Feel* like Lexx and those are Red Dwarf and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I cant think of any others that are similar in any way. TNG is good but their arcs suck, they arent as ambitious as let say Babylon5.

Oh yeah “Spaceballs” hehe go rent that if you’ve never seen it. Well worth the fee.

SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Are there any sci-fi shows out there that people would recommend as good post-lexx viewing? I dont mind a bit of Farscape and Im currently working my way throught the Star Trek TNG first season DVD Boxset and looking forward to the new Star Wars film but are there any Sci-Fi shows that have a similar feel/attitude as Lexx?

TV seems to be filled with Buffy-a-like shows (teenagers with mutants powers, undead skills, super powers etc. fighting some bad guys whilst going through teen angst) but I dont fancy any of those.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

I was going to post pretty much this same message. I don’t really like Farscape, there are some elements I like (the ones they stole from Lexx) but in the end it’s just a bit too conventional and American for me. Star Trek? I’d rather you than me. I’ve been watching a bit of Starhunter 2030 and that seems okay. Apparently Jeff Hirschfeld is writing for it at some point. It’s a bit dull and very cheap but the central characters are solid.

I can’t think of anything that’s really like Lexx. I think season three is very similar in tone to Blakes 7 which, I’ll bet, is also where the initial story of Lexx was stolen from. On the whole Lex is far closer in tone to Brit Sci Fi (as LexxLurker noted) than the American product.

sgtdraino
    Participant

I don’t know if TNT is currently showing it, but how about:

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

This was a relatively short-lived series from the early 90s, starring Bruce “Don’t Call Me Ash” Campbell. It’s set in the old West of the late 19th century.

While styled like a Western, it has very definite elements of sci-fi. And like Lexx, the show has both serious and comedic elements, and manages to do both effectively.

The overall plot:

The big baddies, John Bly and his Gang of Twelve, escape custody and murder US Marshal Brisco County (the main character’s Dad, played by legendary R. Lee “Full Metal Jacket” Ermey). The son, Brisco County Jr., is the bounty hunter hired to track them all down.

Meanwhile, a mysterious object called The Orb has been unearthed in a mining operation. It’s a large metallic sphere which contains glowing rods. The rods seem able to charge whoever touches them with tremendous power.

Naturally, Bly is out to get the Orb, and ultimately take over the world. But there is a surprise twist to Bly and the Orb that I shouldn’t give away.

As the series progresses, Brisco is helped and hindered by a wide variety of interesting regular characters. The overall story-arc is Brisco’s mission to bring Bly and his Gang of Twelve to justice, and Brisco’s ultimate destiny with The Orb. Really well-written.

Similarities to Lexx:

1. Unorthodox sci-fi elements
    2. Both serious and comedic sides
    3. Memorable characters
    4. Individual stories combined with a series-wide story-arc
    5. Episodes that parody other well-known stories.
    6. Unorthodox plots.

Anybody seen this series besides me? It’s definitely worth a look. I’d definitely nominate it as “alternative sci-fi.”

Here’s a link for more info:

The Ultimate Brisco County, Jr. Guidbook

Anonymous

I remember watching that show a few years back. It came about when American TV was just getting its feat really wet in the world of cable television and there were more channels needing more programming than ever. Like Lexx, if there wasn’t such a new demand to fill space, I don’t think such an eccentric premise would have ever made the american squared screen.

If my opinion counts for anything, I would suggest this show. A bit of a warning, though: Again, much like Lexx, its very hard to get hooked if you come in mid-series. You have to watch a couple episodes to get the gist. Campbell is Campbell, but turned down just a tad. He’s still Three Stooges + Sean Connery’s James Bond, but this time with more Bond than Stooges. As far as writing is concerned, there is a difference here, I believe, from Lexx. While Lexx has some truly great episodes every few mediocre ones(this season at least), Brisco County Jr. seems to be rather even keel. I can’t recall any exceptional episodes, but then again, I can’t name any tedious stories either. (Warning! Sports metaphor!) If writing was a game of golf, Brisco County Jr. would get par on every hole.

Considering its a Western, you’d expect this show to have some great scenery of the American South West. There are some movies from the John Ford and Clint Eastwood eras that are beutiful. Brisco County Jr? Eh. Sometimes they go the distance, sometimes its southern California. Lexx has them beat here(how about that scenery in The Game!).

As far as weirdness goes…Trust me, if you stick around long enough, you’ll catch an episode that explains the whole attitude of the writers. When I first glanced at this show, I thought it was a light-hearted western series. After a while it got weird in ways I would only spoil if I described. The Orb. If you like story arcs, this show has it, btw.

This is a ham and cheese sandwich kind of show. Ham: Extreme character driven lunacy(Brisco’s relationship with his sidekick(s)). Cheese: Extreme action driven lunacy(Brisco’s ability to do a triple back trick shot and shoot a bullet down another gun’s barrel). Sometimes real hammy. Sometimes real cheesy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.