Prejudice in science fiction

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Prejudice in science fiction

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

holdon there ms nukey! i was ee for three years, switched to applied math, and went out with a fair number of ee and cs geeks and there wasn’t anything wrong with our libidos!

you must be confusing us with the chemists and physicists; those guys are hopeless

First off its Mr. Nukey.
    Secondly I didn’t mean to give the wrong impression, I wasn’t implying that all EE and CS majors have no libido. Just the ones who spend every waking second in front of their computer, and obsess about how fast their processor is. There are a bunch of over sexed EE’s around campus.
    Your right about the physics/astro being hopeless though. They’re masochists. I don’t know many chems though.

quote:

Originally posted by Hypatia:
    FX: UN-TRUE!
    I’ll have you know that the physics majors throw the best partys.

quote:

Originally posted by mayaxiong :
    Ah, yes, I have fond memories of physics parties at UTA while I was there for my psych degree.
    Wonderful parties, they were, and so inventive in the uses of grain alcohol for mixes, I found myself face-down in the gutter on a number of occasions,

It’s almost the same down here. The physics/astrophyics guys drink the most out of any major. They throw there own exclusive parties down here though.

As for brewing, that’s handled by our sister program the drug/alcohol engineers I mean the Chem E’s.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    I don’t think that I have to *convince* people that you’re arrogant and offensive. You do a very good job of that on your own. The sad thing is that you are unable to see the arrogance and offensive nature of your own posts.

For God’s sake, Lee, if there is ANYTHING you should take to heart it’s the above comment.

Lee, this is what you said to me in another thread (the subject and context is irrelevant):

quote:

Originally posted by Lee P. Sherman, a.k.a. DalekTek790:
    (02-11-2001 11:41 PM)
    Perhaps it was wrong of me to believe you could comprehend let alone appreciate the depth of my wisdom and insight.

What you said to me, Lee, was the most supremely arrogant and insulting statement I’ve ever had to endure from anyone. And the most maddening thing is that you don’t care. You have no empathy for anyone else’s feelings. And then you had the gall to wonder why I’m no longer nice to you, started whining about your hurt feelings, and then demanded an apology. So I gave you one.

But after what you said, I’ve completely lost all respect for you, Lee, and it will never return. When I first came here, I did not listen to the arguements of Aleck or anyone else because I always give people the benefit of the doubt. But now every time you start some arguement on this bulletin board, I will quote what you said to me. I will always remind you.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I know I said I was done with this thread, but I’ve been lured back here. I guess I’m lacking in will power.

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    What you said to me, Lee, was the most supremely arrogant and insulting statement I’ve ever had to endure from anyone. And the most maddening thing is that you don’t care. You have no empathy for anyone else’s feelings. And then you had the gall to wonder why I’m no longer nice to you, started whining about your hurt feelings, and then demanded an apology. So I gave you one.

But after what you said, I’ve completely lost all respect for you, Lee, and it will never return. When I first came here, I did not listen to the arguements of Aleck or anyone else because I always give people the benefit of the doubt. But now every time you start some arguement on this bulletin board, I will quote what you said to me. I will always remind you.

Well I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings. I wasn’t trying to be offensive, and that statement wasn’t just to you. And you shouldn’t hold a grudge like that. I mean, there are people here who have angered me in the past, but I’m still nice to them. I can think of someone on this board who used to really get on my nerves, but I now enjoy talking to.

And I certainly care about other people’s feelings. Don’t think for a second that I don’t. It’s not like I’m ever trying to offend anyone, people just respond negatively to some of my posts on a seemingly random basis. And I don’t start arguments. If you don’t like me mentioning things about my personal life/feelings, just tell me and I’ll knock it off.

I really don’t think I’m arrogant, since the only people who have ever said I was were confined to a single message board. I think I’m a pretty modest and compassionate individual. I don’t want you (or anyone else) to be mad at me, Flamegrape.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    It’s not like I’m ever trying to offend anyone, people just respond negatively to some of my posts on a seemingly random basis.

It’s not random. People point it out every time it happens and you don’t take it to heart because I don’t think you can. Start looking for a pattern to this “random”ness. Trouble is, personality is not something that can be quantified. You are obsessed with objective thought and feel you are not subject to subjective criticism.

[ 16-11-2001: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

Nirvanah Rimmer’s Discussion synopsis:
    Okay, DalekTek790, I REALLY think you are WAY to into Sci/Fi on an obsessive level. You seem to be taking the various aspects of other popular sci/fi caracters and using them for your own personality. Since I’ve been reading your posts, I’ve seen a little Doctor, Marvin the Android, some Kai, and a little bit of the Master, even . You are NOT a caracter in a sci/fi story, Lee, and if you just be who you are and STOP thinking you have to act like a T.V. caracter to be interesting, then maybe we could all get along better.It’s all well and good that you’re a virgin, I respect that and I’m willing to try to understand why you think you can’t have sexual thoughts, but ,REALLY ,the intellectual superiority thing grows old and tired, especially since you say things that are full of condisention (sp?) and then deny them like you didn’t “MEAN” to say that.

Plus, you really need to get laid (even if you wait for marrage)

Anonymous

Poor DT, I see you’re getting ‘ganged up’ on again. Partially in your defense I will say a couple of nice things about you..

You appear to be a highly intelligent young man, however, in a face-to-face setting with many of these people, I doubt you would respond to some of them the way you do. The internet is a great equalizer, it makes all the users corresponding to each other act as if they are reflected in mirrors. Even though you are by all means, a knowledgeable person, in a social setting, I’m convinced these older (yes older) inhabitants of this board would most likely intimidate you, and remarks like “that bitch” would likely never emanate from your lips.

As for Aleck having “power” over us to make us think a certain way, that’s highly improbable, since most of the remarks that come from Aleck are usually responses to something inappropriate that you’ve said. Perhaps you’re not aware of how you’re portraying yourself, and even though you’re working very hard at school and such, a little fun certainly wouldn’t kill you. We can all make up our minds here as to whom is obnoxious or rude, Aleck doesn’t hold any special “power” over anyone to cause them to run to his defense, he’s a big boy and can take care of himself. I find alot of the discussions between the two of you highly entertaining, and sometimes even informative.
    But the fact that you live in such total denial about your emotional state should not be a topic for ridicule. If you are on medication or have depression, it deeply affects the libido, in spite of what you may think.

Perhaps a review of topics before you post them for offensive matter would be good idea, and if you’re unsure if something is offensive, err on the side of caution, or ask someone else’s opinion first. Remarks like
    “my wisdom” are highly inappropriate, since wisdom comes with experience, not knowledge.
    Being intelligent is wonderful, but being wise is when you know when to stop telling everyone how intelligent you are.

I certainly wish you luck at school, study hard, and perhaps a little less time on the computer would be a good idea, all work and no play, you know…

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Nirvanah Rimmer:
    Okay, DalekTek790, I REALLY think you are WAY to into Sci/Fi on an obsessive level. You seem to be taking the various aspects of other popular sci/fi caracters and using them for your own personality. Since I’ve been reading your posts, I’ve seen a little Doctor, Marvin the Android, some Kai, and a little bit of the Master, even . You are NOT a caracter in a sci/fi story, Lee, and if you just be who you are and STOP thinking you have to act like a T.V. caracter to be interesting, then maybe we could all get along better.It’s all well and good that you’re a virgin, I respect that and I’m willing to try to understand why you think you can’t have sexual thoughts, but ,REALLY ,the intellectual superiority thing grows old and tired, especially since you say things that are full of condisention (sp?) and then deny them like you didn’t “MEAN” to say that.

Plus, you really need to get laid (even if you wait for marrage)

I am not obsessed with science fiction. I know a lot of people who are more into sci-fi than I have ever been. I don’t use characters in my personality. I am being myself, I’m acting the same as I do in my daily life. I can’t think of ever being like the Doctor, or the Master…and Marvin the Android? I don’t even know who that is (was he in the Douglas Adams books?). If I seem like Kai to you that’s just because the character of Kai has similar personality traits to me as a person. And I’m not the only person to use a sci-fi character in my moniker. We have a Trillian, an Aeryn, a Xev, and you’re Rimmer. It’s not like I try to act like 790. Are you talking about me saying I was attracted to those girls on Doctor Who? Yeah, I’m a little ashamed of that.

I never said I was the smartest person on this board. If anybody else said the things you people interpret as arrogant you wouldn’t give it a second thought. But you have it in your heads that I’m arrogant, so if I say anything that could possibly be construed as suggestive of arrogance you jump all over me.

quote:

Originally posted by Mayaxiong:
    Poor DT, I see you’re getting ‘ganged up’ on again. Partially in your defense I will say a couple of nice things about you..

You appear to be a highly intelligent young man, however, in a face-to-face setting with many of these people, I doubt you would respond to some of them the way you do. The internet is a great equalizer, it makes all the users corresponding to each other act as if they are reflected in mirrors. Even though you are by all means, a knowledgeable person, in a social setting, I’m convinced these older (yes older) inhabitants of this board would most likely intimidate you, and remarks like “that bitch” would likely never emanate from your lips.

As for Aleck having “power” over us to make us think a certain way, that’s highly improbable, since most of the remarks that come from Aleck are usually responses to something inappropriate that you’ve said. Perhaps you’re not aware of how you’re portraying yourself, and even though you’re working very hard at school and such, a little fun certainly wouldn’t kill you. We can all make up our minds here as to whom is obnoxious or rude, Aleck doesn’t hold any special “power” over anyone to cause them to run to his defense, he’s a big boy and can take care of himself. I find alot of the discussions between the two of you highly entertaining, and sometimes even informative.

But the fact that you live in such total denial about your emotional state should not be a topic for ridicule. If you are on medication or have depression, it deeply affects the libido, in spite of what you may think.

Perhaps a review of topics before you post them for offensive matter would be good idea, and if you’re unsure if something is offensive, err on the side of caution, or ask someone else’s opinion first. Remarks like “my wisdom” are highly inappropriate, since wisdom comes with experience, not knowledge. Being intelligent is wonderful, but being wise is when you know when to stop telling everyone how intelligent you are.

I certainly wish you luck at school, study hard, and perhaps a little less time on the computer would be a good idea, all work and no play, you know…

What are you, my psychiatrist?

Like I said, I don’t suffer from clinical depression. Sometimes I’ll get real down about things and sort of withdraw from life for a few weeks (like the time I was gone from here for a while early this summer) but that’s not really abnormal. I do have obsessive-compulsive disorder, and am currently taking 150 milligrams of imipramine a day for that.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder is characterized by the motivation to perform repetitive ritualistic behavior. The causes (chemical/biological in nature, and genetically linked) are an overabundance of serotonin, the dysfunction of the putamen and caudate nucleus, and a general overactivity of the frontal lobe. My major obsessive-compulsive behaviors are touching, hand-washing, and checking. Also, this book on O.C.D. I just read by Jeffrey M. Schwartz says sociophobia is a common symptom. I sort of have that, since I’m awkward in social situations, I’m not good at making friends, and I have the persistent fear that the friends I do have secretly hate me. I’m pretty shy in real life. I don’t talk much (though my second to last medication switch helped that, to the point I could even join the speech & debate team). I’m really more comfortable writing than speaking. I can express myself a lot better that way because there isn’t the stress. Maybe that’s why I like message boards, it’s conversation through writing. I may “talk” on the board different than I do in real life.

Anyway, aside from a mild mental disorder, I’m a pretty normal guy.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

What are you, my psychiatrist?

see dt, although you may not have meant it to, that statement in response to a sympathetic letter, seems a bit dismissive

regards the imipramine: it is one of the older class of antidepressants known as ‘tricyclic’s’…this class of drugs has many unpleasant side effects including sedation, disturbances of autonomic function, and also weight gain and sexual disturbances…that is why the search continues for the ideal medication; each drug works differently for each person…and many people do not tolerate the side effects… if your ocd is well-controlled, then good for you, but don’t discard out of hand that you might not ‘change your mind’later about things, or that some of your emotions may be colored by the medication …and no, don’t get angry and say that i am implying you are not thinking clearly; i am just pointing out that there is the possibility that your physiology might be somewhat blunted right now…

now can we finish talking about the original thread, whatever it was?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

Well I was trying to get us back on that, but I gave up Thursday because nobody would respond to the clone half of my post.

Anonymous

Thanks for the response, DT, but I have a question that some of you may can answer for me…

Is it possible to respond to a post without repeating the entire thing in bold letters, is it possible to pick out JUST the item you wish to respond to or refute? I know it seems like a simple thing, but it’s time consuming and unneccessary to repeat the entire, (and sometimes extremely lengthy) post right above you, when a few small snippets would do.. Unless you’re refuting the entire post in general, which ususally never happens, most of the time, it’s one sentence out of millions of words. A little trim perhaps?

( and I mean that in a completely NON-sexual way, as to not disturb those not comfortable with sexuality…)

Now, back to the fireworks!! LOL.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

I think we exhausted whatever the real topic was about 35 posts ago. I think it had something to do with clones being personified as evil in scifi, or maybe it was about sex and paranoia? I’m too lazy to go back to check what it really was.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Why don’t we lock this topic so it doesn’t crash the bboard with too many posts?

DalekTek790
    Participant

Yes, it is possible to quote only a part of the previous post. When you click on the “respond with quote” icon, the system gives you the text of the post that you clicked the icon of. Now, you can delete parts of the reproduced text at the top of your screen, just keeping the paragraphs or sentances you are responding to. I often do this. You can also quote different parts of a post by cutting and pasting the quote beginning and ending H.T.M.L. codes around the different parts. It is even possible to quote parts of several different posts by different people using the cut and paste function. You can also paste the quotes onto a WordPro (or presumably another writing program) file and compose your post there. That’s what I do a lot of the time, especially when I’m responding to more than two posts at once.

and on that note, this topic is closed

[ 17-11-2001: Message edited by: FX ]

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.