Princes Motivations

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Princes Motivations

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

What do you think Princes Motivations are in Season 4? He seems to want to escape from Earth, Capture the Crew, Capture the Lexx, Cause Destruction. Yet when he manages to capture them he lets them escape. He has the whole of the american goverment (the ATF especially) under his thumb but he seems a bit inept at getting what he want, whatever that it? What you reckon?

Flamegrape
    Participant

That reminds me of a question I’ve been wanting to post here. I may be wrong, but have any of you noticed if Prince has ever actually commited an act of violence? He’s had henchmen do his dirty work, but has he actually ever hurt or killed anyone?

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    That reminds me of a question I’ve been wanting to post here. I may be wrong, but have any of you noticed if Prince has ever actually commited an act of violence? He’s had henchmen do his dirty work, but has he actually ever hurt or killed anyone?

Perhaps the rules he works under (and it seems to me that he does seem to have some) prohibit him from *actively* doing evil himself, perhaps he can only *lead* others into evil. But then again, perhaps he merely considers it more of a challenge to have others do the stuff. After all it is dead easy to control your own actions, where is the challenge to that.

Headgehog
    Participant

BTW you may have wanted to put spoilers in the title, as they will inevitably be brought up in this post.

I think Prince’s motivations are very different from those of Fire. On Fire he was consumed with the destruction of Water. Pursuing one goal for all of time and always failing had to have been frustrating. His goal in that season was to destroy water, but at the same time he wanted to inflict as much suffering as possible without interfering with his ultimate goal.
    I would think that his original exploration of the Lexx or the great comet, in 3.01, was to find a kind of new weapon in his war. Prince seems curious to me, but not curious enough to go out of his sadistic way. After all he tried to take advantage of the Lexx via Xev as soon as she woke up.

In s4 we see Prince more cautious, in the beginning he’s unsure if he can be killed. He learns otherwise in p4x. Finding out he’s somewhat immoral only encourages his primary programming, inflicting pain. I’m certain Prince is doing stuff that we don’t know about. We’ve seen him organize the killing of seti and their family/friends etc, killing curious reporters, even one firsthand. “I’m good with butterflies” We also can’t forget the clear JFK analogy. He orchestrated the nuking of Cuba, and even tried to kill Geneve G Rota the Pope, and all of Miami. I’m not catholic but I would wager that the annihilation of the pope would **** off the entire catholic population; enough may to go to war(?) But perhaps he wasn’t trying to cause a holy war, maybe he just had some memories of Queen from Fire, he saw her as a threat, and wanted her destroyed. In p4x he wanted to cruelly kill Stan and Digby, but not without a little mental anguish first. He tried to get Stan to help him out of he room, so that HE could get help with Digby and imprison Stan again. In the same episode we see Prince developed a small obsession with Stan, I’m still uncertain what that’s about.
    When Stan asks for help in Fluffdaddy, he helps him, while instructing the atf to be as cruel to Huffer as possible. Full cavity search anyone? Finally Prince spaces to astronauts, which imho is the worst kind of death. Imagine from an earther stand point, you run out of air and heat, you freeze and suffocate to death, all the while outside the home that you’ve know all your life, Earth. You’ll die farther in the cold loneliness of space, never to be seen again!

One of my favorite characteristics of Prince is that he often gets others to do things for him, and he always tells the truth, or at least one perspective of it. We saw him constantly manipulate both presidents in s4 to doing what he wants.

As for not getting what he wants, rubbish. He always gets what he wants! From the destruction of water to suffering of earthers.
    And his obsession with the Lexx, That’s obvious. He sees it as a life raft. Prince is by no means stupid! He will screw up our LBP and then move onto another one, plain and simple. He may also see it and a final and total means to an end. As was the case with water.

All in all, Prince is by no means 1 demensional. And on a personal note, Pricne is one of my favorite characters not just in scifi but in all fiction. Hes cool charimatic callous paitent, and just so excelletn at being evil!

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Yes he has, trying to drop Stan to his death, and flying away with out the astronauts.

quote:

Originally posted by theFrey:
    But then again, perhaps he merely considers it more of a challenge to have others do the stuff. After all it is dead easy to control your own actions, where is the challenge to that.

I like your idea and agree with you 110%

Anonymous

Ahh..Princie-poo..
    He actually does get whatever he wants..it’s just that sometimes..He doesn’t know what he wants…just like the rest of us.
    It’s all about choices..he himself has said, the choices are what motivates him. Bad ones, good ones, and he had Stanley judged for his choices.
    And sometimes, he changes his mind.

Anonymous

quote:

He did try to kill Stan in P4X. As for successfully killing, yes. In Tunnels, he pushes those evil ballerinas into the pit of bear traps to their deaths. In Battle, he shoots Priest with a crossbow after he stabbed him and pushed him off the balloon. And remember in Heaven and Hell, he tells Xev to strangle a guy on his knees? She refuses and so Prince kills him in cold blood with a knife!
    That’s all I can remember right now. So to answer your question, Prince is capable of killing someone himself. He doesn’t always need someone else to do his dirty work.

Princess of Fire

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Princess of Fire:
    He did try to kill Stan in P4X. As for successfully killing, yes. In Tunnels, he pushes those evil ballerinas into the pit of bear traps to their deaths. In Battle, he shoots Priest with a crossbow after he stabbed him and pushed him off the balloon. And remember in Heaven and Hell, he tells Xev to strangle a guy on his knees? She refuses and so Prince kills him in cold blood with a knife!
    That’s all I can remember right now. So to answer your question, Prince is capable of killing someone himself. He doesn’t always need someone else to do his dirty work.

Well, there goes my theory maybe. I’ve been wondering if Prince is actually neautral in alignment, always looking for some sort of balance. I don’t know.

But I think all of the people he’s directly killed were inhabitants of Fire. There souls are eternally damned anyway. Prince could have the people he killed reappear on Fire the instant after he kills them. So what did it matter? I’m not sure he killed any inhabitants of Water, but even then would it matter?

But if Prince is the same as Satan, who is God? There was no “Prince of Water” or anything like that. Prince had the power to move Stan “to the front of the line” in the evil-soul holding area (3.13 Heaven & Hell). Who had the power to manipulate the good-soul holding area on Water? Apparently, not all of the good-souls are permitted to exist on Water at the same time.

Maybe I should re-structure my question to, “Has Prince killed anyone in Season 4?”

I guess he did kill those astronauts in 4.02 Texx Lexx. But he didn’t strangle them, he ordered them to go on a spacewalk and then stranded them. Conceivably, the astronauts could have been rescued later. But one of the astronauts got cooked because he was floating in the wake of the shuttle’s engine exaust– that was the astronaut’s own fault, I suppose.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

I’ve been wondering if Prince is actually neautral in alignment, always looking for some sort of balance. I don’t know.

Prince is Evil, very evil; there should be no doubt about that. As for alignment, I believe he’s (Lawful)Neutral Evil. {think planescape}

Anonymous

In some ways Prince seems like kind of a mechanism rather than someone with recognizable human motivations: the information he’s given us about his actions has been very simple. In S3 he tells us it’s his “job” to be bad, and in S4 he seems to indicate that it’s just fun for him to make this “splendidly bad” planet even badder.

The Light Universe was the Universe of Order and HDS used “the power of order” to subjugate humanity; the Dark Zone is the realm of chaos and evil,
    the supposed opposites of order. Do you think Prince’s role in S4 could be to destroy humanity by submerging it in chaos and disorder?–Professor Longbore talks about all the strange and crazy events that have suddenly started to occur, I assume they coincide with the arrival of Prince–or is that stretching it?

I’ve been wondering if Prince is actually neautral in alignment, always looking for some sort of balance. I don’t know.

Maybe it all has something to do with balance: Light Universe/Dark Universe, Fire/Water, chaos/order….however, Lexx has always gone off in unexpected directions so that’s probably too easy.

But if Prince is the same as Satan, who is God? There was no “Prince of Water” or anything like that. Prince had the power to move Stan “to the front of the line” in the evil-soul holding area (3.13 Heaven & Hell). Who had the power to manipulate the good-soul holding area on Water? Apparently, not all of the good-souls are permitted to exist on Water at the same time.

Season 3 was fascinating to watch but also frustrating and the meaning remained pretty opaque to me because of all the unanswered questions and inconsistencies. Of course what do I know, maybe that’s what Heaven and Hell looked like according to the Divine Order! They would make us suffer through Gametown and tell us it was Heaven!!

elmey

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: elmey ]

Anonymous

Note that the Western devil was/is given the title of ‘Prince of the Powers of the Air’ and that his function was to tempt (amoung other things) the faithfull (and not so faithful). Which is alot of what Prince does Nifty, eh?

Flamegrape asked: “But if Prince is the same as Satan, who is God?”

Anything like the Judeo-Christian God would ruin Lexx, if included.

Maybe the good (on Water) don’t need to be ruled.

Anonymous

So what does he want with Xev? He had the Lexx (or he thought so) and he was still interested in her.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    So what does he want with Xev? He had the Lexx (or he thought so) and he was still interested in her.

Maybe Xev is God! LOL! I can go for that theory!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.