Problems with site…..

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Problems with site…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pyro978
    Participant

how come i can only SOMETIMES access this site. I got in today but before this i couldn’t get on for many weeks on my home connection.

Headgehog
    Participant

Sorry about that. There have been a substancial number of people in the last few months who have had trouble accessing the site, myself included. Usually though it only effects those with a static ip, but looking at your posting record it appears that you have a floating ip (dial up). We’re looking into getting a new host, which should hopefully solve the problem.

Pyro978
    Participant

actually, this is my cable connection i have at home and this is where i have problems connecting from. I have no problems at school, which i used to use for my post.

Headgehog
    Participant

That makes more sense.

Anonymous

i’m having the same problem at home with my cable ISP. having to post this from work. didn’t know there’d been so many probs recently, as i have very little time to look through the forum at work (hope no-one’s looking!!!). have asked another couple of non- cabled friends to have a go at getting on, and they’re ok. don’t know what to do at the minute, ‘cos i cant sit at work all day looking through this site!!! (as much as i’d probably want to….) ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve mentioned this before in other threads, but the only way I can get in using my cable ISP is via remote proxy (unfortunatley my computer is running slow and that slows it down even more so posting is a pain).

In a way I feel it’s not good suggesting proxies that can be used to mask your IP, but this is the best way I’ve found to gain access to the site (hope a new server is coming soon).

You can try using an anonymizer-type proxy like http://proxify.com/proxify or http://anonymization.net to access from your home computer. (note proxify has lots of ads but I have adblock software that blocks out all of the ads).

When using some of these free remote proxy sites, it won’t let you log in, so you might want to search various ones that fit your needs.

Try this link: http://67.18.35.242/-www.sadgeezer.com/html/index.php

I set up JAP to gain access to the site (basically I wanted to reroute to the site) — works well, but there are many alternatives. I don’t like using the program and only use it for accessing this site (I’m using it now).

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html You have to download the program and set it up.

If anone has any good suggestions of good remote hosts (proxies) to access the site, it would be appreciated.

Headgehog
    Participant

Thanks for posting all that Logan! I tried it myself and I can successfully login from my primary connection. But as you already pointed out, it doesn’t have me logged in, so I can’t really upload anything.

Pyro978
    Participant

well ever since i posted my problems about accessing this site, things have been working fine now. I have been able to get on the site whenever I wanted to using my home computer (which is where Im writing this from now).

theFrey
    Participant

The on and off again access can be way annoying. ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous

Damn ๐Ÿ™ I was hoping the problem had been sorted.

Welp, looks like I need to find a new host. Any sugestions.

Needs:
    100Gb monthly bandwidth
    2Gb data storage
    Min 75 remote concurrent users (MySQL setting)

All for two pints of lager and a packet of crisps per month ๐Ÿ™‚

Pyro978
    Participant

http://www.panelhosting.com/

try that one….i dunno how their prices work though. it was recommended by csnation.net

Nick -Z.
    Participant

The on and off again access can be way annoying.

Yeah, that was what really screwed me up during my first posting, just last week. One click and I was logged in, the next click and I was logged off, dunno why it would do that.

Sometimes in my most paranoid state, which is almost my norm these days, i get the idea that some hacker is just getting some sadistic kicks out of making me jump thru hoops and fall down for laughs.

The worst thing about such a problem is it is an impediment to free speech if it happens enough. I have lost entire posts due to such errors (I got “posting error” half a dozen times) and was unable to recall everything I posted the second time.

Furthermore, it begins to make me feel like a dang fool if it happens too much. How am I supposed to conduct a civil discussion with somebody in an online forum if my attitude has been degraded to the role of a fool and all i can do is complain?

Just imagine if hackers were responsible, how much satisfaction they might be getting making so many otherwise civilized posters feel, act, and discuss like dang fools!

Sorry, people, just my dang paranoid fool personality emerging. Don’t take it personally, it may just be me that the hackers are friggin with. Maybe ya’ll don’t know it, but these days the US govt is paying private citizens to do these fascist things to people they don’t like. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Nick -Z.
    Participant

I just want to add, all these problems do nothing to encourage my already suppressed motives for wanting to contribute to the forum discussions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I’m having no problems accessing the site and posting today with my ISP (no need for my remote proxies to get in).

Nick -Z. wrote:

The worst thing about such a problem is it is an impediment to free speech if it happens enough. I have lost entire posts due to such errors (I got “posting error” half a dozen times) and was unable to recall everything I posted the second time.

It’s always a good idea to copy your post before hitting that submit button — sometimes I’ve forgotten to do that at various boards and lost stuff that took ages to write. If it doesn’t take, paste and try again…. If it still doesn’t work, I then paste into a mail message and save it for later — often to be forgotten about.

These dynamically generated pages are complicated. I have often found my login session ‘ended’/ I was bumped before posting, so I had to log-in again before trying again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.