Rant about the Conan O’Brien Show

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst Rant about the Conan O’Brien Show

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lexxrobotech
    Participant

On the Conan O’Brien show, they held a segment called “Pierre Bernard’s Recliner of Rage,” a short editorial where the show’s graphic designer is allowed to rant about the important issues of the day. In the latest installment, Pierre complained that there were too many Robotech DVD’s.

Bah!

He doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

He falsely claims that the company that first released Robotech on DVD went out of business. This is completely untrue, as only one company has ever released Robotech on DVD, and that would be ADV.

As far as the number of robotech dvds… there is the stock standard set, and the remasterd set. Thats all. There is no myriad as he claims.

I fart in his general direction.

*pffft*

theFrey
    Participant

No, really? Hey don’t hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel. 😀 Why does this guy even care?

pet
    Participant

He should see all the Prisoner sets.

Lessee, A&E 2 disk sets, A&E Megaset, Carlton set, Aussie set, Alternative pilot (which comes with some sets, but not others), and 6 remastered DeAg episodes, and I think the French one is out?

Also numerous VHS versions.

And the unrelated movie starring Jackie Chan, O’course.

On the bright side, some people are going to look up Robotech after seeing it air. Perhaps they didn’t know it was out on DVD at all! Perhaps they didn’t know it existed! Could be a good thang.

Anyhoo, I’d be more annoyed at having several copies of DVDs of the same movies: Fullscreen, widescreen, director’s cut, special editions, collector’s editions, economy, yikes! It’s getting so I force myself to wait for a year after the first dvd release of a current movie before I decide to buy it so I can get the one with the features I want.

Anonymous

It could be “myriad” if you counted Macross, but the dubbing and editing to make it Robotech really makes it a different piece.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Thats the thing stormsweeper, I think this guy thinks that Macross and all it’s spinoffs are Robotech.

May his children have warts.

Tiefling
    Participant

Too many DVD sets?!
    😯

But they still haven’t made one where you can turn the narrator off.

Narrator: A Rick sits in his chair in his room he looks out the window, all the while just sitting in his chair, then he gets up an-

Me: GAAHH! SHUT UP! I can see that for myself!

Anonymous
    lexxrobotech wrote:

Thats the thing stormsweeper, I think this guy thinks that Macross and all it’s spinoffs are Robotech.

May his children have warts.

As far as I know Macross has only the movie spinoffs. What am I missing out on?!?!

Back in the 80s we (my friends and I) always considered Macross to be Robotech: Series 1. There were 3 all tolled at the time. Even then there wasn’t a whole lot of similiarities between the 3 series, other than Rick Hunter being mentioned as an Admiral now or something.

Hell, the only Sci-Fi convention I ever went to was a Robotech one back in gawd like 87

Boy am I out of touch =( Someone point me to a webpage!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

If it’s Robotech, I’ll know it.

Firstly LexxLurker, http://www.robotech.com is the site that will be most helpful.

The series was broken into three chapters, “The Macross Saga”, “The Robotech Masters”, and “The New Generation”.

Macross (Super Dimension Fortress Macross), Southern Cross (Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross) and Mospeada (Genesis Climber Mospeada) were three separate Japanese Animation television series that were combined to make Robotech.

These three shows were licensed from Tatsunoko Studios for international distribution by Harmony Gold. These three shows form the three chapters of the Robotech series and are sometimes referred to as The Macross Saga, The Robotech Masters and The New Generation.

Macross Plus is a popular spinoff of the original Japanese-language Macross series that was produced in 1994. Based on Earth and planet Eden in the year 2040, it presents a new generation of experimental transforming fighters against the futuristic backdrop of New Macross City centered around the Do You Remember Love -version of the SDF-1.

DYRL, short for Do You Remember Love?, is a retelling of the original Macross series in a feature film animated by Tatsunoko Productions in 1984, sometimes called Macross: The Movie.

MACROSS was initially brought to the United States for a direct-to-video release in the fall of 1984. The first videotape (featuring a direct translation of the first three episodes) was produced before the decision was made to market the show for television. Back in 1985, when Robotech was first broadcast, there was a minimum 65-episode requirement for daily strip syndication. To fill in the necessary episode requirement, SOUTHERN CROSS (23 episodes) and MOSPEADA (25 episodes), were combined with Macross to make up the 85-episodes of Robotech. An additional episode, #37 – “Dana’s Story” was created specifically for the Robotech series as a bridge between The Macross Saga and Robotech Masters chapters. Using footage culled from several Macross and Southern Cross episodes, “Dana’s Story” introduced Dana Sterling as the daughter of Max and Miriya Sterling.

The rest is history.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Forgot to add,

The Robotech Movie often reffered to on the web is actually Robotech : Do You Remember Love.

Now, something that I have, and is totally freaking awesome, is ROBOTECH : THE MOVIE.

This was only ever shown once in the US. Unfortunately, there was a massive fight with regards to the rights/distribution of the movie between the Japanese and American companies, and it was never properly released.

It was taken from bits of the Robotech Second Series, and an Anime Movie called Megazone.

This Robotech Moive is, in my opinion, one of the best films, if not these best, Ive ever seen. I think it would make a perfect movie.
    What happens is that a super computer uncovers a plot by the earth government to cover up an alien invasion. The computer links itself to a computer on a highly secret Robotech motorbike. This motorbike is stolen by an army guy who is killed, but only after he’s got it to a bike gang friend of his. It’s the ultimate anti-hero guy who opens the worlds eyes. I watch the movie maybe once a month.

Megazone 23 is now a seperate anime series.

Anonymous

There was a “Macross II” series as well, albeit somewhat controversial (conjure up any discussion of what is canon in the Star Trek or Star Wars universes). But my point was that there are myriad versions of the various Macross properties on DVD, so if you approached it from the Macross == Robotech viewpoint, there are a lot of them about.

Anonymous

The movie I saw was at the convention in the mid/late 80s and I remember very little (I was like 10). But I do remember Minmei<spelling> had a musical number. And lots of new characters were introduced. A couple or 4 people were captured by these guys in green suits and forced into an Arena.

I remember very little, but perhaps this was DYRL? Or maybe I got lucky and was shown Robotech: The movie. In any event the movie had no apparant title at the time, it just began with a big fight or something. So I’ve always thought of it as a spinoff movie.

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn’t a big fan of the other series, but I loooooooooved original Macross. It was the first time as a kid I felt a show wasn’t “talking down” to me. Instead it dealt with life and death issues, not often seen in children cartoons of the 80s

lexxrobotech
    Participant

http://members.aol.com/BruceG6069/RoboTech_faq/Robotech_S3.html

This is another site that’ll help with FAQ’s.

You could well be thinking of The Sentinels.

It was to be a 65-episode sequel to the Robotech TV series, detailing the adventures of the REF on Tirol and other worlds conquered by the Regent, king of the Invid. For financial considerations described more fully by Carl Macek in _Robotech: Art III_, the project was canceled, though the story was rewritten by Jack McKinney in a novel form, and published by Eclipse comics in a graphic form. Both new media dramatically modify the plot as described by Macek in _Art III_, especially toward the end of the series.

The footage for the first three episodes were completed before financial complications doomed the project. These episodes were rearranged, with new dialogue and some old footage added, and were released on videotape, originally through Palladium books, later through Streamline, and currently via the E3 DVD inclused in the third ADV Robotech box set.

sgtdraino
    Participant

I never got into Macross or Robotech, but I loved an anime series called Super Dimension Century Orguss.

Anybody know anything about that one? It seemed sort of related to the whole Macross/Robotech thing, but I was never sure if it was a spinoff or what.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

http://orguss.freeservers.com/

This will help. It’s available on DVD, or so I believe.

sgtdraino
    Participant

That’s a cool site, but what I wanted to know, is does Super Dimension Century Orguss have anything to do with Macross/Robotech?

Super Dimension Century Orguss sounds alot like Super Dimension Fortress Macross, so I wondered if the two were part of the same literary universe.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Sorry sgtdraino – It’s not robotech, but it is somewhat related.

“Super Dimension Century Orguss was the second “Super Dimension” TV series turned out by Studio Nue in the early 1980’s, the first and third being, respectively, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross (Two series that were dubbed and edited into ROBOTECH 1st and 2nd series). Orguss ran for 35 episodes in Japan from 1983 to 1984; U.S. Renditions released 17 of the episodes (dubbed) on video, but never finished them, which is a shame since Orguss has a great storyline, well developed characters and some of the funkiest cool-looking mecha around. “

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.