Rant – Publishing Practices

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Rant – Publishing Practices

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

I have had it up to here with book publishers who insist on making you wait for-freaking-ever to get the next installment of a book in paperback.

Thumbscrews are too good for them. This is a particular peeve when we are not talking the next block buster from an extablished writer. I hate hardbacks, they hurt, take up too much room and are hard to carry around.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aquabloodstone
    Participant

I have a stack of hardbacks threatening to crush the first cat/person that brushes too close for that very reason. Having to wait an entire year for the follow-up paperback is completely unreasonable. Take up your pitchforks and storm the castle!

alnexi
    Participant

Why can’t they publish a book as a cheap paperback first, with something like a coupon for those who want a hardcover – that could be (and should be, in this century) printed on demand? Why don’t they realize that some of us book lovers live in inadequate apartments with several thousands of books we cannot part with? And, once you pick up that pitchfork, could you also kill, very slowly, the greedy morons who print (and charge a fortune for) important books about history and such on cheap paper, with illustrations and photographs that are printed so poorly you can’t see if it’s a castle or a cat? Grrrrrrrrrrr indeed.

theFrey
    Participant

It is kind of hard to pop a book in your pocket or purse or read it in bed if the freaking thing is a huge honking hunk-o-dead tree.

Also, concussing your sleepy customers with a 5lb slab of book can be dangerous. I have wacked my self in the head several times over the years by drifting off when reading in bed. Heck, Shogun nearly took me out permanently when it fell out of my hands.

If not a safety issue, perhaps they need to make it an environmental one. Think of all the trees they could save by not catering to some writer/editor ‘my books in hardback’ ego.

Hummmm….. where can I find me a shyster lawyer with time on his hands, or a tree nut with a gun would be better……

Nick -Z.
    Participant

Publishers, like all entertainment fielders, like to tap a product for as much $$ as they can get. But I’m sure they would dismiss such a point by claiming the hard-cover versions are the traditional first editions of almost every book, at least in the academic and intellectual fields.

Dunno if any of them are available online, but if so, one can d-l it and format it into a pocketbook with the right word programs. Or, if one has a scanner, they can scan the hard-cover version, put it through a word program, reformat it, and compose a paperback version.

But that’s probly too much work for most of us. Just a thought.

theFrey
    Participant
    Nick -Z. wrote:

Publishers, like all entertainment fielders, like to tap a product for as much $$ as they can get. But I’m sure they would dismiss such a point by claiming the hard-cover versions are the traditional first editions of almost every book, at least in the academic and intellectual fields.

Well it also use to be traditional that wife’s and children were the property of the head of the household, oh and that dumping waste in a stream use to be the traditional way of getting rid of industrial by-products. 🙂

Times change. Hug a tree and print a paperback.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.