Raptor Island

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    milzan
    Participant

Hi there,
    Did anybody else out there see this piece of trash. Why can’t they spend a couple of dollars on a ” STORY “.I don’t know where to begin because this sucked on so many levels.
    What do you guys and gals think. Am i missing something or what.

Headgehog
    Participant
    milzan wrote:

Am i missing something or what.

Not so much missing something, as you’ve got too much of something… grey matter.

The sad truth is that people ACTUALLY watch those saturday night movies, and worse still in (relatively) large numbers. I don’t understand it myself. Personally I feel dumber after just watching one of those commercials! As best I can figure the main audience is:
    [list][*]families (parents with kids who are too young to realize this stuff is unoriginal low budget garbage)
    [*]stoners
    [*]people imitating MST3K
    [*]channel loyalists (losers with nothing better to do)
    [*]those unfortunate bastards who’s TV are stuck on the Sci Fi channel
    [/list:u]
    Sci fi Channel really could do better, without much effort. But they choose not to for whatever reason. As long as the tim eslot pulls in the desired ratings/demographics they won’t put much more into it. Unless of course they want a higher rating.
    Really, I could care less. It’s not my network, nor my money. And more to the point,;I have better things to do on a Saturday night then watch the Sci Fi Channel!

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    Headgehog wrote:

The sad truth is that people ACTUALLY watch those saturday night movies, and worse still in (relatively) large numbers. I don’t understand it myself. Personally I feel dumber after just watching one of those commercials! As best I can figure the main audience is:
    [list][*]families (parents with kids who are too young to realize this stuff is unoriginal low budget garbage)
    [*]stoners
    [*]those unfortunate bastards who’s TV are stuck on the Sci Fi channel
    [/list:u]
    Sci fi Channel really could do better, without much effort. But they choose not to for whatever reason. As long as the tim eslot pulls in the desired ratings/demographics they won’t put much more into it. Unless of course they want a higher rating.
    Really, I could care less. It’s not my network, nor my money. And more to the point,;I have better things to do on a Saturday night then watch the Sci Fi Channel!

Ok, guilty as charged. I fall under the following catagories:

Whenever I stay home on Saturday night, I will check out the weekly fiasco on the Sci-fi channel. Unless, of course, there is a ball game of some sort that I’d rather watch. Anyway, it’s mainly because I hate most other programming so much that I will turn to sci-fi on a Saturday night. Plus it’s good “background” entertainment ’cause I’m usually on the computer spewing my propaganda (like now) or reading or something.

Also, to me it is like supporting you’re favorite sport’s franchise. You stick with them during the sh*tty seasons when they suck (Raptor Island et al) and when they’re good (BSG Re-Imaged.)
    I’m just fanatical, I guess. ๐Ÿ˜›

Sidhecafe
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Headgehog’s oh so pointed summation could very well apply to tv in general!!!

This is the reason why I completely fell of the BSG badnwagon….Friday night is not a good night for me to watch tv…and the repeat on Monday nights was just to late for me on a school night!

And it is easy to for me to accept the swill SciFi passes off…they are a television station after all – and like all of them they are trying to appeal to a diverse demographic to keep the ratings the entire time they are on air…so the serious scifi fan must wade through the mire of the spew that tries to appeal to a larger audience.

Though on occasion who doesn’t like to imitate MST3K?!?!?!?!?

Headgehog
    Participant

I will admit that I do occasionally watch those train wrecks. And I almost always regret it later. There’s only been a few good ones, Cube 2: Hypercube is the first to come to mind. Anonymous Rex, Slipstream and Riverworld were all passable and worth watching once. Alien Apocalypse with Bruce Campell was utter B Film crap, but since it has Bruce, it was excusable, expected and enjoyable.

Frankenfish wasn’t that great, but compared to other scifi Saturday movies, it’s pretty decent. And I only watched that because my brother, who works at Blockbuster, told me that people were always renting it and asking about. So he rented it and we watched it together to see what the fuss was about.

I’m sorry but I guess I’m just not a big enough masochist to sit through most of those films(sic) even if its to MST3K ’em.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I ususally don’t sit through them entirely either. I should have said, not that I really watch them, I understand WHY they exist…because some people don’t want to think to be entertained.

They want to switch off and observe something mindless.

Diversification.

And speaking of Bruce Campbell, I saw him in a film – he was a bank robber, on the IFC, and it was great. Can’t remember the title, Cool Running or Running Time. something like that.

Loved the Ash reference in Shaun of the Dead by the way…..did you catch that??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.